PDA

View Full Version : sprouted bread?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Lie2MeJL
Sun, Sep-14-08, 19:11
Anyone eat it? I know I read about it somewhere in a thread on this forum but I don't remember where...

Just bought the trader joes sprouted rye today and it is AWESOME :)
7 carbs w/ 3 grams of fiber.

Lie2MeJL
Mon, Sep-15-08, 18:46
I was really hoping more people would have tried this or eat it occasionally. I'm curious how it's affected things, etc.

LukeA
Mon, Sep-15-08, 23:06
I havent had that brand before but I used to eat sprouted bread quite a bit and I to loved the taste. But its off limits for me since being diagnosed as celiac.

Lie2MeJL
Tue, Sep-16-08, 08:22
thanks for the response! Did you incorporate it into your low carb diet or were you eating it before then? I would love to keep eating it but I don't want to have it hinder my weightloss. Although, I am getting closer to goal...

LukeA
Tue, Sep-16-08, 22:58
I started to eat it maybe after my first 45 pounds lost on occasion, although I didnt make it a daily thing. It didnt seem to bother me as far as my weight went, but of course ymmv. :) I got to maintenance before I ever found out I couldnt have gluten actually.

Elizellen
Wed, Sep-17-08, 07:04
It sounds like a great 5 net carb addition for OWL rung 9 if you can stick to one slice.

Lie2MeJL
Wed, Sep-17-08, 07:28
I just had two slices yesterday and I'm down .5 pounds today. Maybe I should mention I'm watching calories and also incorporating IF as well. I'll keep people updated on how it seems to affect me. I definately won't be eating it daily but at 8 NC per two slices and only 120 calories I'm pretty excited about it :)

Lie2MeJL
Thu, Sep-18-08, 07:32
UPDATE if anyone is interested- down another 1.5 after having the sandwich 2 days prior. I'll be trying the bread again over the weekend I'm sure.

pecan
Thu, Sep-18-08, 14:01
i LOVE sprouted bread. i buy ezekiel brand's "low sodium", and i have to admit, it is a filling bread. i only need one slice to complete a meal (ie. an open-faced sandwich), and the nutritional profile of it is fantastic. a lot of raw foodists are fans of sprouted bread because it is called a "living food"...which while this statement isn't entirely true, it is more "close to nature" than your other bread options.

op, the problem you might find on this forum is that sprouted bread isn't really low carb...now, once you reach a certain phase of the low carb lifestyle, it's an excellent choice...but i still feel like most people on this forum stick to lower-carb options.

Fuzzy_Bear
Thu, Sep-18-08, 15:04
I'm a big fan of the Trader Joe's sprouted grain breads (both types are good). I keep it frozen since I only have it occasionally so I always toast it from frozen. It's nice to have the option to have a couple of slices with my weekend brunch with natural almond butter and s/f jam :yum: .

Lie2MeJL
Thu, Sep-18-08, 15:15
the problem you might find on this forum is that sprouted bread isn't really low carb...now, once you reach a certain phase of the low carb lifestyle, it's an excellent choice...but i still feel like most people on this forum stick to lower-carb options.

The trader joes brand I found has 7 grams of carbs and 3 grams of fiber. Isn't that fairly low??

pecan
Thu, Sep-18-08, 19:42
is it sprouted soy beans?? that is surprisingly low, actually.

Lie2MeJL
Thu, Sep-18-08, 20:29
The ingredients are: sprouted wheat grains, wheat flour, water, honey (I know, I know), vital wheat gluten, yeast, molasses, salt

PER SLICE

Calories 60
Total Fat 1g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 130mg
Total Carbohydrate 7g
Dietary Fiber 3g
Sugars 0g
Protein 5g

Lie2MeJL
Tue, Sep-23-08, 07:47
Just an update- Had a sandwich using the bread a few days ago and down another 1.5 this week :)