PDA

View Full Version : What vitamins and minerals do I need everyday to maximize my weight loss

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Tazmani77
Fri, Mar-22-02, 17:03
I am not losing anything lately and I'm thinking about food all the time now. What vit and min could help with cravings and aid in losing weight . I think I need some help now. It is getting harder to do this alone.

razzle
Fri, Mar-22-02, 19:40
alas, there is no magic pill...though think about it: if there were, would 2/3 of americans be overweight? Probably not.

I've tried many many costly supplements and nothing has sped my slow loss--30 pounds in 16 months, so please be grateful for the rate you have!--but I have created a lot of what my trainer last year called "expensive urine." Some people swear they feel better on this or that vitamin or herb, but I've not noticed this effect.

Do, however, take a good (which does mean more costly) multi-vitamin/mineral every day while you are in the weight loss phase. Between meals, l-glutamine can help with cravings.

This is a permanent way of life--if you go back to eating the way you did before (now or when you reach goal), you'll balloon back up to your old weight in no time. So forget the time frame--just settle in to this new way of eating, have fun with recipes, change up your exercise routine, get rid of the bars/shakes/artificial sweeteners/excessive cheese (all stallers/slowers). You'll lose when you lose, and except for eliminating stallers and "cheats," there's little you can do about the rate you have.

I continue to work with emotional eating/binge eating and body image self-help books so that I'm addressing that part of the equation, too. For most of us, it's something more than metabolism that led to the weight problem, and that something won't go away without putting some work into fixing it. Others here attend OA meetings or see therapists.

hang in there, and think about changing your viewpoint rather than the pills you take. HTH!

Tazmani77
Fri, Mar-22-02, 20:53
Thanks for your reply. I am not new to LC. I have my view of this WOL in a good place but thanks for the reminder. I just heard that there are some vit and min that are more helpful with weight loss than others, not necessarly more expensive either. I thought I'd que you guys to see what you might be using.
Razzle seems you got your head on right, I hope you make it to your goal with little bumps along the way.

TeriDoodle
Fri, Mar-22-02, 22:04
I take chromium, green tea extract and coQ10.... all of which are supposed to help with weight loss.... Atkins explains why, or if you don't have the book, try www.atkinscenter.com.

You're doing SO wonderfully!!! Hang in there and keep postiing!

Tazmani77
Sat, Mar-23-02, 08:11
Thanks Teridoodle :)

I'll check out that link. Yes I have all three versions of his books amoung serveal others like SB, CAD, PP. I think it is time to do some reading huh? :D