PDA

View Full Version : Glucomannan or Konjac

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Armina
Sun, Aug-24-08, 07:18
Has anyone tried this powder for thickening? It's called glucomannan - also known as konjac.
We found it on the internet and its the same thing that makes up the shirataki noodles. Its 0 net carbs (5 grams carb and 5 grams insoluble fiber) and is supposed to work very well for thickening.
Please let me know if you've tried this and if it tastes ok and if it caused any problems with your low carb.
Thanks!!
Mina

LessLiz
Sun, Aug-24-08, 07:59
I haven't tried this but I have used xanthum gum successfully. I would be afraid that konjac tastes like shirataki noodles.

Kisal
Sun, Aug-24-08, 11:49
Has anyone tried this powder for thickening? It's called glucomannan - also known as konjac.
We found it on the internet and its the same thing that makes up the shirataki noodles. Its 0 net carbs (5 grams carb and 5 grams insoluble fiber) and is supposed to work very well for thickening.
Please let me know if you've tried this and if it tastes ok and if it caused any problems with your low carb. I have seen quite a few posts on other forums from people who use this product. Some make puddings and some even make their own versions of noodles, often mixing in veggies which they have dried and ground to a powder. I don't recall a lot of complaints about the taste, but there are a few drawbacks. For one thing, it seems that foods thickened with konjac can become "rubbery" (a common complaint about shirataki noodles), especially if they are frozen.

I think that, like so many other unique products, this is something you will have to try for yourself to see if you like it. Your satisfaction with the product will depend greatly on your personal sense of taste. :)

Armina
Sun, Aug-24-08, 12:25
I haven't tried this but I have used xanthum gum successfully. I would be afraid that konjac tastes like shirataki noodles.

LOL I hear that. But shirataki noodles are packaged in a liquid that includes seaweed and that makes the noodles taste fishy if you don't rinse them well. Also, there are two types of shirataki noodles and one tastes much better than the other. I wish I remembered the difference. The first time I tried them, I went to a little Asian store to find them. There were two different packages. I asked the Asian man behind the counter which one was best and he said "I don't know, I don't eat them", hehe.

Armina
Sun, Aug-24-08, 12:28
I have seen quite a few posts on other forums from people who use this product. Some make puddings and some even make their own versions of noodles, often mixing in veggies which they have dried and ground to a powder. I don't recall a lot of complaints about the taste, but there are a few drawbacks. For one thing, it seems that foods thickened with konjac can become "rubbery" (a common complaint about shirataki noodles), especially if they are frozen.

I think that, like so many other unique products, this is something you will have to try for yourself to see if you like it. Your satisfaction with the product will depend greatly on your personal sense of taste. :)

Thanks Kisal
You're right about the taste, thats always so subjective. A lot of people like the soy protein powders and I think they're just awful. :)
I'd like to find someone who's tried Kojac though, and see if it had any kind of negative effect on their weight loss.