PDA

View Full Version : Packed in Potassium, yet very low carb?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

GLB
Wed, Aug-20-08, 06:28
One of the great things about so closely managing your food intake is that you really learn about your own physiology. I've found that I'm easily able to manage my BP through diet & exercise where it's a complete non-issue.
However, I'm in a bit of a rut finding foods that allow me to stay within 30 carbs/days that are high in potassium, an essential electolyte in managing my BP?
I had a connection for Atkins shakes that were perfect for a quick feeling of fullness/sweet/potassium & only 2 carbs, but since that's gone & full retail is pricey, I'm at a loss for ideas?
I'm a big fan of snacking on almonds, though.

lowcarbUgh
Wed, Aug-20-08, 07:00
Avocados are very high in potassium and have no sugar alcohols like Atkins shakes.

CarbJunky2
Wed, Aug-20-08, 07:15
I agree. Avocados are my go-to food for potassium, but other foods also good for potassium are swiss chard, spinach, mushrooms, romaine lettuce, celery, fennel, broccoli, cucumber w/ peel...
I love whfoods.org for info like nutrient density.. :)

girlbug2
Wed, Aug-20-08, 08:08
Pork is higher in potassium than even bananas. There are a lot of foods that are, in fact. Bananas have gotten better publicity than they really deserve.

CarbJunky2
Wed, Aug-20-08, 10:02
Pork!? OMG. I did not know that. No idea why, but I never thought meat could have potassium. ROFL. Thanks for that info - I've got a pork tenderloin in the fridge. :)

VLC.MD
Sun, Sep-07-08, 12:36
Make sure every one remember's the key isn't necessarily how much potassium is in a food ... it is the potassium to sodium ratio. Pork has lots of potassium but lots of sodium. The sodium will unfortunately make you pee out alot of the potassium, so the high amount of potassium in pork is misleading.

Something that has a fair amount of potassium in it (avocados) but no sodium, is often the way to go.

:) FYI.

PS. I dont even know how much sodium is in Pork, so some of this may not apply :)

Citruskiss
Sun, Sep-07-08, 19:47
I read recently that eating four stalks of celery every day is very beneficial for blood pressure issues.

Here are ten words you probably haven't heard your doctor say in awhile: "Take four celery sticks and call me in the morning." But if you have high blood pressure, that's exactly what you should do.

Now let's be clear: Celery alone isn't going to 'cure' hypertension. But peer-reviewed research has found that eating four sticks of celery a day lowers blood pressure. ~ Jonny Bowden, in his book, "The Most Effective Natural Cures on Earth"

In that book I mention (excellent book, btw) - there's an entire chapter on natural food cures for blood pressure - lots of references to studies and so on, re: celery and celery extract. Something about a phytochemical called 'phtalides' in celery.

Also, while reading up on the benefits of fish oil - I came across some mention that fish oil will also help blood pressure:

Based on human studies, omega-3 essential fatty acids may lower blood pressure, and theoretically may add to the effects of agents that may also affect blood pressure.

We know that fish oil will help with triglycerides for sure, but I also think there might be a beneficial effect on blood pressure as well. I've seen a few things mentioning this.

And VLC.MD is right - it's not just about getting potassium, it's the ratio. You want way more potassium, relative to any sodium intake for the benefits of potassium to have a noticeable effect on blood pressure.

Upping your consumption of greens, along with avocado and the like will help you shift the balance in favour of potassium.

Take care, and good luck with your blood pressure numbers. You're doing all the right things :)

edited to add: I think almonds are a fairly good source of potassium (I'd have to go look), but it's important that these aren't salted or flavoured in any way - you want plain, whole natural almonds. You can 'toast' them yourself - get some sliced natural almonds (with the skin) and pan-fry in a dry frying pan for about a minute or so, and toss into your salads. Or, if you snack on whole almonds - just make sure they're not 'dry roasted' or seasoned in any way - as often, these have added salt/sodium (along with some other potentially not so good for you ingredients). You can make your own 'seasoned' almonds at home - just toss whole natural almonds into a crockpot set on 'low' for about two hours with a wee bit of butter, and um...not too much salt. (try sea salt).

Citruskiss
Sun, Sep-07-08, 20:10
Also, what carbjunky2 said is right on the money - romaine lettuce is excellent.

Here's a quote from the Worlds Healthiest Foods website:

In addition, romaine lettuce is a very good source of potassium, which has been shown in numerous studies to be useful in lowering high blood pressure

from: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=61