PDA

View Full Version : high altitudes

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

allisonm
Thu, Mar-21-02, 14:05
Okay, for the third time now I've just read an offhand remark about losing muscle at high altitudes. The one I just read was in a link provided by Wa'il on BCAAs; the one before that was in a book by Dr. Bob Arnot. People seem to rattle this off as if it's a well-established fact.

Hey! I live at a high altitude. Could this cause me to lose muscle? It's hard enough on my workout that the air is thinner up here!

Anyone know how living at a high altitude affects training/performance/etc.?

Thanks,

Allison

wbahn
Sat, Mar-23-02, 19:22
I'm not an expert, by any means, but I, too, live at high altitude (6500') and I know lots of people that live over 9000'. Lots of indigenous people live in the Andes at 14k and higher. I think the effect they are talking about occurs, to any degree worth worrying about, at much higher altitudes - like 18k+. At least that's my understanding from the little bit of non-off-the--cuff information I have come across.

allisonm
Sat, Mar-23-02, 20:26
Thanks Bill. I'm only at 5500 feet but I think from what Covert Bailey said, it occurs much lower than 18K.

Allison