PDA

View Full Version : [BFL] Roll Call!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Muse
Wed, Mar-20-02, 18:19
Just curious, how many Body for Lifers do we have here? When did you all begin and where are you at?

Me, I start Monday officially....working the kinks out until then :D

Muse

TerrieP
Wed, Mar-20-02, 18:41
Starting Week 7 on Monday.

Really starting to see results now! Love it! Good luck.

Ruth
Wed, Mar-20-02, 19:32
Hi,

I'm in Week 8, with a start date of Jan 14, 2 weeks off in Feb because of being out of town, then sick for a week. My BFL buddy is Marlaine :) We live about 10 mins apart.

harley78
Thu, Mar-21-02, 07:07
I just started on Monday. So I am on day 4 and doing well:)

Natrushka
Thu, Mar-21-02, 07:26
C2W7D5 - and going strong :)

Nat

pegm
Fri, Mar-22-02, 09:37
Began January 6, but lost 2-1/2 weeks because of illness. Still loving it, feel great, getting good results.

lisaf
Fri, Mar-22-02, 14:23
{Saluting Muse} Here M'am!!!

Just finished my first Challenge...will take the summer to achieve some other goals and probably back to challenge 2 in the fall!

Lisa

Homegirl
Fri, Mar-22-02, 17:12
Started Jan 21st and am on day 61 (Week 9).

When this challenge is finished, I will take a week or two and then start my second challenge.

Marlaine
Sat, Mar-23-02, 08:37
Hi there.....

Count me in. Started in January. 15 days left to go in my first challenge. Will most likely take a week or so off and then start again. I love it and can't think of a good reason to not be doing it!

Marlaine

KarenB
Sat, Mar-23-02, 17:45
Just finished Week One, tomorrow's my first "Free Day" and I intend to sleep in until about 7am (instead of rising at 4:45 to be ready to work out or walk/jog by 5)!

I can't say I'm seeing anything yet, it's way too soon--but man oh man, I'm feeling *every* muscle! That in itself is quite the reward this early in the game.

wbahn
Sat, Mar-23-02, 19:00
I'm planning to start on 01 April 02.

I'm getting ready now - getting my supplements in place (on order), getting my home gym set-up again (bought fixed weight dumbbells so that I don't lose time changing weights), and giving it a week to fully get over this cold or whatever.

I've decided to go whole-hog. I have officially entered the EAS 12-Week Transformation Challenge. I don't stand much of a chance, but as Bob Costas said at the close of the 1996 Atlanta Olympics regarding the critics that claimed that Atlanta had overreached its capabilities. He said that reaching beyond your abilities is part of the Olympic Ideal. There is merit in the attempt and a whole hell of a lot that's right accomplished along the way.

Muse
Sun, Mar-24-02, 09:33
Wow Wbahn, That's terrific!!!

I'm so proud of your decision to "go for it"!

I think I may have just gotten my son's cold (sinus) so as I'd planned to "officially" start tomorrow, I'll have to wait and see..........geez wanted to grab onto this emotional high I'm feeling after reading BFL, doing a few practice sessions and go for it myself...alas, I may have to wait a week :mad:

Anyway, it's great to see how many of us are in this together...let's keep the morale high folks, we're already winners for accepting the challenge!

Muse :wave:

MSLADY23
Tue, Mar-26-02, 12:19
I'm on week 3 of the challenge. will take measurements next week. haven't posted befor but love the program

rhubarb
Tue, Mar-26-02, 14:37
Week 3, and feeling strong. I’ve liked it from the start, but my best day was yesterday when my 6 year-old daughter woke up early to find me doing UBWO. I asked her to stay as quiet as she could, and even though she tried, she just couldn’t hide her delight when she saw me adding more and more weight to the dumbbells. I know I was too distracted to really hit my 10s, but the look on her face was worth it. In between sets she would say things like “you’re strong, mom!” and “I’m proud of you!”

-rhu

Ellipsis
Fri, May-17-02, 20:27
...I gotta revive this old thread and tack my name to the end of it. ;) I've taken up the BFL banner for my own this week...it's now C1W1D5 for me. I know I'm going to really enjoy this journey. :roll:

-- Nicky

KarenB
Sat, May-18-02, 06:56
I'm on C1W9D6 today, and I feel FABULOUS. I haven't stepped on a scale in a month, I'm wearing size 12 jeans, and I've lost over 12 inches as of last month's measurements. Glad you've joined the rest of us!! Can't wait to see/hear YOUR results!

judy130
Mon, May-20-02, 03:37
KarenB, you are such an inspiration! Roll on week 9......

Judy, starting week 4 today

dbackdeb
Mon, May-20-02, 09:13
I plan to start the BFL on the first of August. Hard to start before then due to son's school and long vacation coming up. I did get the book and am getting the dumbells ready. Have done some of the exercises, and felt great afterwards. Am on Atkins and have went from a size 22 to a size 14!!! Still want to fit in my size 8 again. With the BFL program, I know that I can:)
Debra

itsjoyful
Mon, May-20-02, 09:35
C1W3D1...

and loving every min. of it.

regards,
brenda

TeriDoodle
Mon, May-20-02, 10:08
C1W7D1..... Wow, has it been 7 weeks already? My how time flies....

I am woman, hear me roar!! :lol:

Doodle
Tue, May-21-02, 02:47
I am here, roaring in my own quiet way too! ;)
Doods.

Marlaine
Tue, May-21-02, 08:48
So...doing a head count here....

Muse
TerrieP
Ruth
harley78
Nat
pegm
lisaf
Homegirl
KarenB
wbahn
MSLady23
rhubarb
Ellipsis
judy130
itsjoyful
TeriDoodle
Doodle
and.....me.....Marlaine

That makes 18 accounted for. Wonder if there are anymore??

Natrushka
Tue, May-21-02, 08:52
Annie G and Jkrohn :)

And I'm not on that list anymore ;)

Nat

Marlaine
Tue, May-21-02, 08:55
Nat.......

LOL......yes....I forgot that! Sorry about that!

So......+2 and -1 = 19 BFLers.

Marlaine

10stone10
Tue, May-21-02, 23:54
Count me in!
Started my first challenge on 3 Mar 02
Now my sister is doing it too!

missatc
Wed, May-22-02, 00:11
I somehow missed this thread until tonight. I am on C1W4D23-I like to keep the days on a running total to help me remember which workout sheet to download- :)

Keep it pumpin all!

Jkrohn
Wed, May-22-02, 17:22
Late as usual just like school. :)

On week c1w8d3 and loving every minute of it! After week 6 I was down 15 lbs and 11.5 inches 4 pant sizes!!! Can't wait to see what the next 4 weeks bring. Hopefully more of the same. Still look forward to my early am workouts even if it does wake the hubby. He's really supportive so it helps tons. If only I could get him to join in instead of slumber........ :rolleyes:

Stay strong BFL'ers!

Messy

TeriDoodle
Thu, May-23-02, 07:19
Wow Jk!!!!! Somehow I missed those results!! That is totally AWESOME !!! You must be tickled PINK! :D

Keep up the great work! (I sure hope you took some "before" pics!)

dbackdeb
Fri, May-24-02, 06:14
Hello everyone,
I have decided to start the BFL today, was going to start in August; now is better. WHY DELAY? There is no excuse for letting the body go. I have the weights, so why not!
Will keep everyone posted on the results. Thanks Natruska for the info on LC and BFL, that helps a lot. Going to GNC to pick up some glutamine. Talk later, have to start now. Debra

AngelaR
Sun, May-26-02, 15:26
Me too (raising hand - well not too high cuz my muscles hurt like heck today) Challenge 1, week one, day 3.

I'm inspired by all you folks who have been at this (new and seasoned). Your reporting in on all the great benefits besides the toning up was what got me rolling on this. I needed a new focus. Eating right just wasn't enough anymore. This appeals to my competitive inner self. I'm loving it!

neener_15
Tue, Jun-04-02, 11:31
I started last week and it is great!! I am waiting for my glutamine but secretly enjoying the pain!!

JennyAnkai
Tue, Jun-04-02, 14:52
I'm new here! This is my second week. I've been LCing since January 1st, and I got down to 5 pounds above my goal weight. But my body still felt really flabby and since the birth of my first child one year ago, my body has lost a lot of lift and spunk it had pre-preg (some of you moms out there can probably relate to what I'm talking about). Over Memorial Day Weekend, our favorite couple came to visit us from out of state and they both looked completely fantastic. That's how I got turned on to Body for Life, when I asked them what their secret was. So here I am!

Jenny
Age 33
5'5
Current: 143 pounds
Goal: 135 pounds (and a whole lot leaner & perkier!)

Marlaine
Tue, Jun-04-02, 16:19
Update on the count.......

I make that 26 BFLers!!

Marlaine

hannahsmom
Tue, Jun-04-02, 16:29
This is my first challenge (in more ways than one).

I'm at C1W1D3 and loving it.
Tiring to do it at 10PM every night though as I don't have any free time until the baby is asleep.
Afraid to get on the scale though with all this eating, I've been LCing for 1 week now and although I feel a bit lighter and my husband says he can see a difference I'm still really scared that it won't work.
Originally, I was aiming to lose 15-20 lbs by July 4th for my cousin's wedding but at this point if I'm getting some exercise and feeling chipper than bugger to them!

You can check on my progress in my journal.
Bye :wave:

fitby55
Wed, Jun-05-02, 08:24
Well since you've opened this thread back up---guess I should join in!

My name is Vicki. I'm on C4 W10 D4.

C1 was started April 30, 2001. I lost 6 lbs and 14 inches.
C2 was started July, 2001 and I didn't finish (at approx 9 1/2 weeks went on vacation and pigged out). I had lost 10 lbs and 10 inches before going to Maine. I made the mistake of not going back on BFL after vacation and gained the 10 lbs back plus most of the inches. :thdown:
C3 was started Jan, 2002. I lost 7 lbs and 10 inches. Lost 20 lbs of fat and gained 13 lbs of muscle!
C4 was started April, 2002 and I've only lost 2 lbs so far and I won't be measuring until the end of the challenge (I haven't given this challenge even close to 100%, am currently revamping my eating program to decrease carbs and increase protein, and I'll try this plus BFL exercise for C5).

That's my history! BFL is a great program but for me I need to eat differently. The exercise plans are fantastic and breaking the goals and weight loss into 12-week sections make it all see less overwhelming. Thanks for listening (and asking)! :)

chocolate
Mon, Jul-01-02, 06:14
Count me in guys!!

Today has been illumination day for me!! I've kinda seen the light, but I'm a real newbie to BFL, but especially I'm a newbie to a new way of thinking, a new way of seeing myself: as a doer and not as a watcher!!!

If any of you guys would be so kind as to check out my journal (start from today's date please!!!!) I'd be really thrilled and greatful. Check out my food and my exercise program and also to help me with my attitude, cause illuminations are great ... it's putting them into action that's the hard part!!!!

Thanks to all!!
Bye
S.

Kristine
Tue, Jul-02-02, 08:56
Me, too! (Or "me, 27" or whatever it is now. :) )

I started "warming up" a week ago, but took my pictures and measurements on June 28, so I'll call that my official start date.

Doug H
Sun, Jul-07-02, 19:19
I'm just cranking up to do this seriously. I started the workout portion last October. I didn't take eating very seriously but I did the workouts and documented everthing for several months. My strength has just about tripled on everything. I'm much stronger and that's phenomenal.
Now I intend to combine this with PP and see what happens.

alice 2002
Sun, Jul-14-02, 17:08
Hi all, I am starting BFL tommorrow. I am having my husband take my before picture tonight....though I am not entering the official challenge that the book has, but I am going to tone up every darn flabby muscle I have in this fat body of mine.So there!!

Trilbe
Sun, Jul-14-02, 19:23
Hi!

I'm halfway through my first challenge:
Today is C1/W6/D7
:)

Here are the changes (start / current):
Hips - 47" / 45"
Waist - 36" / 35.25"
Thighs - 32.5" / 29.5"
Weight - 210.5lb / 204lb
Body Fat - 47% / 44%
:D

My trainer is a guy, so I've refused to let him measure my chest...
:o

So far, my calves have not budged a millimeter. Nor have my arms. I'm not worried, though! I guess it'll all come in time... I'm doing the 20MAS. I'm working out all my body parts according to the BFL plan. I'm hitting my 10s. So, now I just have to be patient.

Supplements: I have been using CLA (6g/day divided between 4 servings), green tea (300mg polyphenols/day), 2 tablespoons of Udo's choice oil per day (one with a morning meal, one with an evening meal), 3 (5 gram) servings of Glutamine per day, and 3 servings of BetaGen (a creatine/hmb combo) each day. I've also been using the Myoplex and NitroTech low-carb products, for 3 of my daily meals.

My carb count varies between 50g - 100g per day--pretty high compared to most LCers, I guess. That includes the "hidden carbs" in the bars and in the ready-to-drink shakes. Most of my carbs come in the form of fruit and/or (non-starchy) veggies. No carbs (really, as few as possible) after 6pm.

When I went in for my pre-diet checkup, my doctor (a Nervous Nellie) begged me to do this challenge moderate-carb and low-fat. Since he and my friend/personal trainer (another Nervous Nellie) are the ones who talked me into (finally) doing something about my weight, I have agreed to follow their plan for these 12 weeks. So, my weightloss has not been as dramatic as most people in this forum, but I'm quite happy with the changes. I feel much better, I'm stronger and I have a ton more energy!

Well, c'est tout! I'm really REALLY glad to be doing this challenge. The physical changes haven't even been the best part. The emotional changes and my newly discovered love of exercise have been incredible.

Good luck to you all!
Trilbe

Azlocarb
Fri, Jul-19-02, 14:39
The wife and I just finished our first 12 weeks. We plan on staying with it untill we get to our goals. We have had great results. I have never had much of a upper body but I do now!

lisalaura
Wed, Jul-24-02, 09:00
Challenge 1, Week 4, Day 3.

Height 5'9"
Age 25
Weight 150, now 146 maybe less, but I have my friend this week:)
Waist 33" now 31"

Not lcing though, just following the bfl guidelines, 40% carb, 40% protein, 20% fat. One cheat day a week, yum!

Doing a little more cardio then recommended too.

Lisa

JoonieJoon
Tue, Jul-30-02, 11:11
Entering the official challenge.. at least that is the plan.. already took the before photos. Trying to follow the book exactly.

Goofed up though once I had a free day the next 2 days seemed kind of free also!lol

Going to get back on track this week and get some supplements too.

So count me in!

dewdrop
Tue, Aug-13-02, 17:37
:wave: Hi everyone! I'm just starting to figure out this web sight!
I can't believe I have been LCing for a year without it! At least I don't have to be alone BFLing!! :D A Big thank you to "Itsjoyful" for the heads up. I am currently on day two of week two and just starting to get my meal intake fine tuned. What a science experiment it has turned out to be. I would still love any suggestions on meal planning! :confused:

itsjoyful
Tue, Aug-13-02, 17:52
Hey there dew!

For me, in the beginning, eating 6 meals a day was torture! I had the hardest time...but as time went on, it got better. Plan a week, just once, to see how it goes. It sounds like a lot of work to plan that much so far in advance, but it will sssssooooo make things eaiser for you. you can also check out my www to see some of the things I ate.
hth.
Brenda

HulaGirl
Tue, Aug-13-02, 22:31
I'm on C1 W1 D2...

Bec
Wed, Aug-14-02, 09:14
C1/W1/Day1

HerbNurse
Mon, Aug-19-02, 10:31
~~~~~~C1W1D1~~~~~~~~

Let's go for it! :thup:

Jalilah
Sat, Sep-07-02, 11:30
Starting week 3 on Monday. Can't seem to get the eating right, though, so terribly bloated and puffy. :(

Hope the next 3 weeks are better.

You guys are real encouraging.

BTW.. what does "C1W1D3" mean?? :confused:

Homegirl
Sat, Sep-07-02, 14:58
Challenge one, week one, day three!

Sherry B
Sat, Sep-07-02, 21:34
It is C1/W2/D1 I guess. I sort of started funny on a Saturday rather than a Monday. But I figured I'd follow the plan as though I had started on Monday. Tomorrow is my first free day.

Jalilah
Sat, Sep-07-02, 21:38
So most people start with the LC section of the plan? How do you get through the week that way without the glycogen stores?

Jalilah
Sat, Sep-07-02, 21:41
Oh duh! What a dork I am! I'm still in CKD mode..you're doing BFL. LOL.

I've decided to try CKD for a couple of weeks to see if I can handle it. I worry about the mid-week burn out---because of only getting 20g of carbs during the week, but we'll see. I'm waiting to see if Nat or someone can tell me if I can start tomorrow...and how to start it (LC or carb load) if I do start tomorrow. If I start tomorrow with the LC section, which would throw me off actually during the week... I will do my BFL cardio stuff.

Thanks for the input. It really helps.

Bec
Sat, Sep-07-02, 22:14
Jalilah,
I have been reading about CKD....let me know how you feel being on it. Sounds very interesting.

mjmarii
Sun, Sep-08-02, 07:03
Hi there! I'm new to this forum, but not new to BFL. We started in September of 2000, completed one challenge and then silly us took a break from it all. Went back to it just recently: C2/W1/D7

Janelle

Jalilah
Sun, Sep-08-02, 12:49
Hi, Bec and MJ: :wave:

I think the hardest part so far for me regarding CKD is just figuring out what's what!! I'm really confused about much of it, like what to carb up with that doesn't have fat or fructose! I'm thinking, NO WONDER everyone's eating smarties and skittles....hahaha. There HAS to be a better way, I hope. I'd go into a sugar coma.

It's also confusing because I used the CKD calculator to figure out what and how much of everything I need to get in. Well, the calculator said to keep carbs at 20g a day M-F, then carb up on the weekend, but many CKD'ers say to NOT eat carbs at all. I'm not sure if I can do this. I don't just go to the gym and that's it, I also have long dance practices and teach dance.... and I HAVE to have enough energy to get through those!

This will be interesting to see how it all goes this week. Oh, and I'm still trying to figure out what the "depletion" workout is! I've no clue! LOL

Bec
Sun, Sep-08-02, 15:45
Jalilah,
Is there a book you can get that outlines everything?

Jalilah
Sun, Sep-08-02, 15:48
Thankfully yes, but unfortunately..none of the stores in the area, even books-a-million carry either one. So I'm going to have to order it online and wait a week or so. Everything I've ever ordered online has taken twice as long to get to me than they promise, so I'm sure it will be a while.

I'm just not sure which book to order. :confused:

lks
Mon, Sep-09-02, 13:27
Challenge 1, Week 1, Day 2... and loving the workouts so far!