PDA

View Full Version : 5 year Atkinsversary

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Mousesmom
Sat, Jul-12-08, 20:27
I thought I would take this opportunity to share that today (my 41st birthday) is my 5th Atkinsversary.

Warning - LC diatribe ahead....

I've been at the same weight - within 3# for 4 years, and still have aspirations of making it to goal one day.....

The first few months was tough getting adjusted to my new WOL but I'm SO GLAD I endured. Now it's second nature to me. I seldom want what I shouldn't have and have learned to make wonderful new foods with LC choices.

On the rare occasions I want something off plan - like today I had a couple of onion rings with my birthday lunch - I jump right back on the LC wagon and keep going. I no longer beat myself up for a minor diversion and I keep those diversion (not "cheats" - rare and limited to a couple of bites because that's all that tastes good anyway).

My blood sugar is normal; I'm not hypertensive; my cholesterol is good; my excema is gone and my acne is mostly under control. I'm still hyperthyroid but still not medicated. In fact, I take NO medications.

My mental health has improved. My self esteem is better. I realize for the first time that I MATTER and I AM IMPORTANT..

Selfish as it sounds, this is about ME. I do it for ME and ONLY me. The naysayers be da*ned - it's not a choice or a fad or an eating disorder but a necessity for me to live this way. This way I live, before I dieted.

My DD (19) commented in my birthday card how hard I have worked to look better and how "gorgeous" (remind me to get her eyes checked LOL) I am.

Just wanted to share my thoughts today.

Namaste.

Julie

sassafras
Sat, Jul-12-08, 21:08
What a wonderful confirmation of your lifestyle change--congratulations and happy birthday, too! :D Thanks for sharing this.

MrBuffalo
Tue, Aug-12-08, 00:23
Thanks for the inspiration, Mousesmom.

johndeb420
Sat, Aug-23-08, 14:54
truly inspirational

LMMS
Sat, Aug-23-08, 22:25
You Rock!! just when I was getting a little discouraged, you helped me out!! I am going to keep going. Thank you and happy birthday.

GlendaRC
Sun, Aug-24-08, 00:36
Julie, great post! "Mouse" is right - you ARE gorgeous and my eyes HAVE been checked (I can still follow a golf ball through the air [mostly]). It takes a lot of maturity to realize that "love thy neighbour as thyself" demands that we love ourselves first before we can love our fellow-man! With some people, I'm still working on that one!!! :lol:

Some of my numbers haven't improved even after 5 years of this WOL, but who knows where they'd be if I had been following the SAD - as you said, this is now second nature and I haven't missed high carb junk for a long time. When I do miss something (like new potatoes in the late spring), I allow myself a bite or two and move on. And I finally reached my posted goal - still need to work on the belly fat!!!!

Everyone -- I know Julie and see her frequently ... she IS beautiful inside and out!!! I would be very proud of her if she were my daughter!!!!

Mousesmom
Sun, Aug-24-08, 09:48
Aw shucks Glenda, you have me misty....

I'd be honoured to be your DD.

Julie

anyve
Sun, Aug-24-08, 15:25
wowwwwwwwwww 5 years!!! congrats!!!! in june I celebreted my first Atkinsversary and I know how it feels ...just wonderful!!!

you must be very proud of yourself, thanks for sharing this big celebration with us, it is very really motivating to heard such as inspirational stories. Congrats again!!

Mousesmom
Mon, Aug-25-08, 06:59
Thanks Any!

It has completely changed my life to be healthy! Always fun to see people from a long time ago who have no idea who I am....

Congrats on being so close to goal!!!!

Julie

girlbug2
Mon, Aug-25-08, 07:34
Julie,

I'm so glad you persevered through the tough times and came out victorious! You have just been added to my list of reasons to keep fighting the good fight.

Thank you for sharing.

Pam Katz
Mon, Aug-25-08, 12:51
Congratulations on your fantastic milestone. You are truly and inspiration to those of us just starting on the journey to health.Regards Pam

Mousesmom
Mon, Aug-25-08, 21:22
Julie,

I'm so glad you persevered through the tough times and came out victorious! You have just been added to my list of reasons to keep fighting the good fight.

Thank you for sharing.

If I can do this, anyone can do this! It's been a long haul but TOTALLY worth it!

Julie

Mousesmom
Mon, Aug-25-08, 21:23
Congratulations on your fantastic milestone. You are truly and inspiration to those of us just starting on the journey to health.Regards Pam

You go girl!

Soon you'll be celebrating an Atkinsversary too!!

Take care, Julie

camaromom
Thu, Aug-28-08, 06:36
Congratulations to you. I've been here almost as long. I hope to one day write my success story. You are an inspiration!
Barb

Mousesmom
Thu, Aug-28-08, 10:37
thanks Barb..... you're nearly to goal - keep up the great work.

Julie

maria150
Thu, Aug-28-08, 10:46
You go Girl!!!!!!!!!!!!

KIDBXRS
Wed, Sep-17-08, 15:20
We hear so much about people falling off the wagon. I am not even on my 2 week of atkins for the second time. I can not tell you how good it is to hear that people can make this a lifestyle change. Wow thank you so much. Congratulations for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thup: