PDA

View Full Version : whey protein - okay?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

catsrus
Wed, Jul-09-08, 11:23
I have gotten a couple cans of whey protein. It only has 4 carbs, so I thought it was fine to use. But I see on the can it says not to use it for weight loss. I just figured that meant not to use it like a meal replacement, so I continued to use it, as I like it mixed with SF orange drink, just as something to fill me up. But I also haven't lost any weight since using it. Can anyone tell me about whey protein?

Kisal
Wed, Jul-09-08, 13:11
I have gotten a couple cans of whey protein. It only has 4 carbs, so I thought it was fine to use. But I see on the can it says not to use it for weight loss. I just figured that meant not to use it like a meal replacement, so I continued to use it, as I like it mixed with SF orange drink, just as something to fill me up. But I also haven't lost any weight since using it. Can anyone tell me about whey protein?It's labeled "not for weight loss" because it doesn't contain the full range of vitamins and minerals your body needs to remain healthy. Back in the bad old days, whey shakes were sold for weight loss, until those who used them started dying from starvation and malnutrition!

Whey protein is usually fine for those on lc, although the one you have seems to be a bit high in carbs. I have Designer brand whey protein powder, and IIRC, it has 2g carbs per scoop. (One scoop is the recommended serving size, buy I've never bothered to measure how much a "scoop" actually is.) I use it primarily in cooking and baking, rather than to make shakes. Many members do use it to make shakes for meal replacements or snacks, though. There are other brands that have even fewer carbs than the kind I have. I think the lowest I've seen was 1 carb per serving.