PDA

View Full Version : Fiber and the low carb nutrition plan...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Darrell
Mon, Mar-18-02, 09:39
The Protein Power program makes so much sense. Fiber was something I neglected though and I want to tell you what I came up with for a plan. The PP book recommends shooting for 25 grams of dietary fiber each day. I wasn't getting anywhere near that amount. My supplement plan outlined here adds 15 grams. My diet has the rest. I drink one 8 oz dose of Metamucil before going to bed (helps with fluid intake needs) and I eat 1/2 cup of Fiber One dry cereal in the morning. The metamucil only costs 5 carbs and the net carb count for the Fiber One is 10 carbs (remember to subtract fiber from carbs). 10 grams seems pricy but I eat a 2 string cheeses and 2 "Doctor's" brand protein bars for a total of 15 grams fo carb. Not a bad trade-off and I'm still losing weight. I'll mix the Fiber One with plain yogurt when I go on maintenance though I think it tastes fine dry.

Does anyone else have any good ideas? Oh yeah, don't forget shrimp is a great source of fiber.

Here is my story. It seemed like a lot to start with so I put it at the end:

A friend in California had been daring me to read Protein Power for 2 years before I finally picked it up last December. I began reading the book and doing 2 things: drinking twice my normal water intake and cutting the carbs. That I didn't have much of a problem with cravings and carb-cutting I attribute to "being ready for the change." The more I read, the more I incorporated. PP seems more forgiving than Atkins yet just as effective. Its forgiving and slightly more lenient program may be why I feel that way. Anyway, 86 days and 27 pounds (so far) later, I look and feel great! my goal is to lose 40 pounds--245 down to 205. I am doing very well and I continue to be encouraged. Don't forget resistance weight training and exercise. I swim.

gwilson38
Mon, Mar-18-02, 11:51
Another way to add fiber is to sprinkle bran flakes on foods or put it in a shake. It sounds like U are doing awesome! Keep up the good work.

Natrushka
Mon, Mar-18-02, 12:03
Originally posted by Darrell
The PP book recommends shooting for 25 grams of dietary fiber each day. I wasn't getting anywhere near that amount. My supplement plan outlined here adds 15 grams

That's something that seems to be confusing about PP. The recommendation for 25g of fiber is made in relation to a high carb dietary plan - not to PP or similar plans. Because people eating high carbs tend to eat a lot of 'gluey' foods (corn, wheat, processed foods) they require 25g of fiber a day. When you take these foods out of the equation a LCer gets by just fine on anywhere from 10g - 15g of fiber a day. More is better - but it is not necessary.

Welcome to the forum, Darrell and congrats on your transformation :) I started out with PP and recommend the book to everyone I can - IMHO it is one of the very best reads out there.

Nat

csfdavis
Mon, Mar-18-02, 21:52
With only three cups of vegetables allowed, how are you supposed to get 10 g of fiber?

Kay
Tue, Mar-19-02, 00:05
Use flaxmeal!!!

The Bob's Red Mill brand claims to have zero carbs after you deduct the fibre. I often have a bowl for breakfast, sometimes another one late in the day.

To make porridge, you simply heat some water, put it in a bowl and then add about 1/8 cup flaxmeal. Stir it up, wait for a few seconds and it will thicken. It is not necessary to cook the flaxmeal. Add a little stevia and cream if you want.

I make these muffins at least once at week. At 1 carb each, they are another great fibre bargain.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33525&highlight=flax

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6638&highlight=flaxseed

shawj11
Wed, Mar-20-02, 00:31
Hello!
Where can I get these doctors bars? I have never seen them before. Are they ok for someone on the first stage of PP?
Thanks!
:wave: