PDA

View Full Version : What's with woeful weekends!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Jello
Mon, Mar-18-02, 09:11
O.K. here we are, day 13 and I can't stay clean (you know what I mean). I am o.k. during the week when I am working, but then comes the weekend and I just lose control. Had a few too many drinks on Friday - no particular reason, just a few friends getting together. I did pretty good, matched every drink with a glass of water.

Unfortunately, I still had a bit of a hangover on Saturday and the last thing that I wanted was a salad. Didn't really eat anything all day - only to find myself, standing in the open fridge door, stomach growling because it's 3:00.

"Well, well, what have we here - a T.V. dinner - fast and hot.

(46 carb grams, but I've already blown it this weekend, so what does it matter).

"Geez, look at that, I still have those left over chocolates from X-mas, Oh heck, a few won't hurt now.

(And I don't even really like chocolate)

"What I really want is a big bag of chips with dip. Nothing like that in the cupboard. Hey, I'll just have a few crackers. That should get rid of the craving.

(Here's to crushing the empty box and pulling out the vacuum to get all those stray crumbs - geez, did I even stop to breath?)

And the cycle continues.

It's so maddening that I can't eat like anyone else. I know, I know - I am an addict - a little taste and I am spiralling down a singleminded psychosis.

But it's Monday now. I guess we just get back on the wagon. But I really don't think that I can give up TGIF after a long work week. I will just have to figure ways to keep myself otherwise occupied on the weekend.

There you have it.

Lisa

:o

razzle
Mon, Mar-18-02, 09:50
you're got a great start at having already heard some of the thoughts that drive the eating patterns--and be proud of yourself for that! Not a lot of people can even hear those thoughts clearly, so you're ahead of the game.

Looks like you have two problems going--one apparently social, where you feel you must drink with your friends--and another about unhelpful thoughts that drive a binge to continue.

For the first problem, could you just not see your drinking buddies for just a few weeks? Once you have a few weeks under your belt, no carbs, no booze, the cravings should abate. Then it may well be safe to go out and you'll be able to order a club soda with a twist (and watch how odd other people are when they're drunk and you're sober--this can be enlightening!) See other people instead, people you know who don't drink. Or stay at home and watch some videos, catch up on cleaning the garage, anything that isn't re-triggering your binge cycle. "Treat" yourself, at the end of the long week, to something other than drugs--a massage or facial, a drive to your favorite spot in the country with a dinner picnic, a long phone call to an old friend you miss.

You deserve to take this time to care for yourself. You deserve to be slim. And you can be!

Secondly, talk back to the irrational thoughts. 46 grams one day is not "blowing it all weekend" and license to eat. 46 grams one day a week is not all that big a deal, actually. Don't plan for it, of course--but if it happens, shrug, forgive, move on, get right back on track.

When you're craving you say to yourself, "yes, I'm craving. But I know eating something carby will make those worse, not better. Instead, I'll make a deviled egg and bacon--I really like those and the fat will treat the cravings." Get that carby junk out of the house. We're much less likely to go for it when that would involve putting on shoes, driving to a store, and standing our fat selves in a line where we feel self-conscious about buying what we know has made us fat.

"psychotic" is just a bit harsh of a label, I think ;). Try, "A new learner, and not doing half bad" instead.

Jello
Mon, Mar-18-02, 09:56
Thanks razzle, I appreciate the compliments. That's what I have found frustrating in the past though - I do recognize what I am doing when I am doing it, but I keep doing it. Ugh!

csfdavis
Wed, Mar-20-02, 12:35
Don't hate yourself for slipping on the sidewalk. You're only human. I actually find that weekends are easier because I have time to prepare food, but just keep telling yourself that it's worth it to keep with the program. I look at it this way. I have given up so much stuff during the week that if I gave in now, it would all have been for nothing.