PDA

View Full Version : Big Mess Up

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

RobLL
Thu, Jun-19-08, 09:19
I did it, only excuse is that I am suffering from something like viral spinal meningitus/severe statin reaction (they have similar symptoms)/or something else. And even that is not an excuse, so I am sick, so kill myself? I need to improve my system here to compensate for times I am less capable.

At midnight, I took my bedtime BGs, a little high, so took 5 units of Regular. Then prepared and injected my normal Lantus dose of 27 units. hahaha- I looked and it was Regular I had used. DUMB. DANGEROUS. So I ate a largish bowl of strawberries with a little regular sugar, and whipped cream, and a little Blueberry Crumble also with whipped cream. I wanted enough fat with the carbs to stretch out the digestive process. Told wife what I had done and to call 911 if any major problem. And I set my clock to ring avery two hours. Here's the BGs throughout the process

Midnight 98, if I am high when I go to bed, I am high when I get up. So hence the 5 units of Regular, it takes a few units just to get the lowering going, after that I drop 10 points per unit. Goal, 80

2AM BGs 110, no prob
4AM BGs 79, no prob. decided it was OK to sleep til 7
7AM BGs, 147, highest in several months. Probably what my FBGs would be every morning without the Lantus.

So took 7 units of Regular (I don't have Lispro, which works better to lower spikes), and 20 units of Lantus. I will check ever 3 hours, and also keep glucose tabs at hand.

ps Wife worries, and did not sleep, me - like a log between alarm rings. Hated to bother her, but thought it essential. And off to a previously scheduled doctor appointment. Standard diabetic check up, and see if we can move up the appt with neurologist for all the symptoms.

Korban
Thu, Jun-19-08, 11:11
Rob,

Thank God you noticed...! With my normal BG and 27 units of regular I would have gone to about negative 30 mg/dl at some point during the night... not real healthy...

/smile

v-effect
Thu, Jun-19-08, 13:34
Hi there,

When I was using Lantus, I wrapped a rubberband around it to distiguish it from Humalog.

V.

RobLL
Thu, Jun-19-08, 14:11
My Regular is shorter, as is the little box it comes in. I have found that a sufficient indicator in the past. It obviously is not, at least when I am sick, and not functioning well. One thing I have not done, is to read OUT LOUD the medication I am taking. Not that I have to yell it, but actually reading and saying the word may do the trick. Don't medication givers read the label, tell the patient by name what they are doing, and then read the label once again as they finish?

lowcarbUgh
Thu, Jun-19-08, 14:15
I've done the same thing several times. The only thing to do is eat a bunch of carbs and be prepared for a long night.

Sorry you had a rough one.

RobLL
Thu, Jun-19-08, 18:09
Had the regular non-discussion with doctor, he doesn't like any of his patients having A1Cs under 6, mine was 5.2 (goal 4.8 or so), gave me a copy of the ACCORD report. It would be arguementative to tell him that high carb, high insulin, high oral drugs are all known to cause heart problems. Kept my mouth shut. O why o why can I not find a doctor who will cooperate with low LC diets and normal BGs. rant rant!! Tomorrow I have an MRI to see what gives with that other problem I am facing. It seems to be neurological, but who knows. Probably I never will.

Daryl
Thu, Jun-19-08, 18:21
Hang in there Rob.

eddiemcm
Thu, Jun-19-08, 19:07
Rob
Very little of the mainstream diabetes stuff appears to make sense however maybe having a low A1C might make a diabetic
insulin user subject to hypoglycemia.This is just conjecture on my part.You seem to be an analytical type of person who makes
his own decisions-a very good thing as far as I am concerned.
Good luck on this
Eddie

lowcarbUgh
Thu, Jun-19-08, 19:13
Good luck on the MRI tomorrow. The vast majority of doctors I've had I just pay lip service to.

I had an ob-gyn during my last pregnancy who thought my "low normal" A1c was fantastic. He was kind of jumping up and down thrilled about it. We weren't given the numbers back then and I'm not sure what that would correspond to.

There was a different study done on type 1s several years ago that does indicate that lower is better. My current doctor thinks a lower A1c is great for me and thinks I'm doing South Beach, which he approves of.

RobLL
Thu, Jun-19-08, 20:23
Thanks all. I even went to the gym today, did a workout about 1/3rd of normal volume, but it felt great to do some heavier lifting and sprinting.