PDA

View Full Version : Help - 11 months into plan, and I can't stay on track.

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

SkinnyRae
Mon, Mar-18-02, 07:12
I've been on my new regime for life eating over 11 months. Have lost 81 pounds and I feel great! Down from a size 26-28 to a size 16, but I need help staying on track. I have genuinely tried to adapt my lifestyle to this new eating (I realize I will have to do this forever to keep the weight off) but lately, I've been allowing myself a daily cheat or two, and then feel GUILTY after doing so. What's wrong with me? Hormones? (I'm in pre-menopause at age 45) or just plain STUPID? Help! Any words of encouragement to offer?

razzle
Mon, Mar-18-02, 10:01
not stupid no! (and please don't say such things about yourself).

You know how addictive carbs are. Once you're back into the habit of them, the biochemistry of carb-eating will drive you to more and more. The only thing to do is to break the cycle, white-knuckle the cravings, and abstain for 5 or so days to see the cravings go away.

I've been finding it helpful (while I'm on track, actually) to work with a number of eating disorders books. If this sounds like a possibility to you, go to your library or local bookstore and sit down in front of the row of books on the topic. Find those that address binge eating or overeating from emotional reasons, and flip through them until you find one whose style "speaks" to you. An alternative to this would be to find an Overeaters Anonymous group in your area.
For most of us who have been more than 25 pounds or so overweight, there is an emotional eating component to our weight problem. Steadily chipping away at the understanding of that is, I think, part of the way we will be able to find a permanent weight loss solution.

Congratulations on your great loss so far! It must be a wonderful feeling to be shopping in regular misses sizes. :)

Dinky
Mon, Mar-18-02, 20:43
It's not stupid! There are so many reasons- Just listen to the media tell you everyday that LC is not the way to go. Then, if you're like me, so many friends/relatives tell you this WOE is bad for you, or 'you can have just a little' Then the little person inside you still thinks 'it's not fair, I can't eat like other people'

You should congratulate yourself on how fantastic you've aleady done! Remember how good you feel about the weight loss, but mostly how good it feels to be in control of what you eat.

Then the final key is - you can't cheat just a little. It just makes you want more and more, and at least for me - this leads to beating yourself up for failure and more binging.

I cheat too, and everytime I do, I end up falling off the wagon and gaining weight. So I'm really only hurting myself. Razzle is right - the best way to beat the cylce is go cold turkey again. It clears the body and the mind. I'm back on induction this week, and in two days I feel better about myself already.

Go back and read the book that got you started for motivation. Or get a new low-carb book for a fresh outlook. And keep coming here - it got me back on induction.

:wave:

SkinnyRae
Tue, Mar-19-02, 07:41
Thanks for the prompt replies. Razzle, your response got me back on the induction diet the same day. You reminded me that, like cigarette smoking, carbs are addictive. I quit smoking 5 years ago, and will never touch one again. Same holds true with carbs. You can't have a little. As you recommended, I "white knuckled" through yesterday (Lord, isn't there a CARB PATCH???), and am on-track today. Dinky, you reminded me that when I cheat, I only cheat myself. Thank you both. These were the words I needed to get rolling again. Thank goodness I have never stopped my daily 30 minutes of exercise. It absolutely works. Blessings to you both.

razzle
Tue, Mar-19-02, 12:39
so glad it helped! lol at your call for the carb patch, too. :) I think we've all been there!

Keep up the great work on re-induction...and let us know as the pounds start slipping off again.

Dinky
Tue, Mar-19-02, 19:23
Sign me up as soon as one's available! LOL This is a great idea - you could make a million.

Glad your back on track! You've come so far - be happy :)

csfdavis
Wed, Mar-20-02, 12:31
Sometimes you just have to indulge. You have done so great, that as long as they are few and far between, it shouldn't hurt you too much. You have lost so much weight that I would hate to see you quit. I wish I could boast your results. Of course you have ten months on me. After that long I just may have lost as much weight as you. Keep it up!!!

SkinnyRae
Wed, Mar-20-02, 12:41
Thank you. CSF, for the encouragement. That was all I really needed to get my head on straight again. I haven't gained anything, but equally, I haven't been losing any either. Now that I am back on track, I am throwing away the carb dishes (like last night's pasta) rather than helping myself to "just a little taste." Those little tastes get bigger and bigger, and then so does my behind! The exercise has been my saving grace, too. I am a firm believer in the elliptical machine, and a set of stretch bands and weights at home. I am firmer, leaner, harder and buffer than I have ever been. You, too, keep up the good work. You'll get there before you know it! Good luck!