PDA

View Full Version : before I buy it--anyone NOT happy with Carbquik?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

livesimply
Wed, May-14-08, 06:06
I see tons of recipes using Carbquik, but also lots of comments about an aftertaste. I used to make a wonderful biscuit using flour, yogurt, 1 teaspoon of honey and butter. Would CQ be a good use for that, or will it taste really different? How about using it for something like brownies where the cocoa flavor might mask an off-taste? THANKS!

BetsyJ64
Wed, May-14-08, 08:27
I have used Carbquik a lot for biscuits mostly - the Cheddar Bay recipe here in the forum. I did make a pound cake once with it and that was NOT good - ended up trashing most of it. I think with the biscuits, the garlic flavor "hides" the aftertaste, although I never had a problem with that - just the dryness of the pound cake.

OLD LADY
Wed, May-14-08, 08:48
I use Cabquick and have no problems ,I just think Buisquick-but don't try it if you are looking for the exact flavor it needs to be enjoyed for its own flavor. I also like to add sour cream it stops the dryness and a little Hi-Maiz Corn Starch makes it very light and fluffy.

cnmLisa
Wed, May-14-08, 13:22
I use Cabquick and have no problems ,I just think Buisquick-but don't try it if you are looking for the exact flavor it needs to be enjoyed for its own flavor. I also like to add sour cream it stops the dryness and a little Hi-Maiz Corn Starch makes it very light and fluffy.

I think the "aftertaste" that some people mention is a very individual thing.

Personally, I think Bisquick has an aftertaste. so that just goes to show.

Some people love it, others, hate it. I fall somewhere in the middle.

The only way to know is for you to try it and decide for yourself.

zorra_1
Wed, May-14-08, 21:16
I'm not a fan of the metallic taste, but I didn't really enjoy the inconsistent cooking results I got with it.

<I much prefer almond meal.>

Luzyanna
Thu, May-15-08, 07:11
I have just one word to say about Carbquick....YUCK!

I've tried several different things and they look great but taste disgusting. I can't bring myself to throw it out though - I just keep hoping against hope that I'll find something I can eat without feeling like I need to :Puke:

BetsyJ64
Thu, May-15-08, 07:19
I have just one word to say about Carbquick....YUCK!

I've tried several different things and they look great but taste disgusting. I can't bring myself to throw it out though - I just keep hoping against hope that I'll find something I can eat without feeling like I need to :Puke:

Leslie - have you tried the Cheddar Bay Biscuit recipe that's here on the forum? The garlic powder helps mask the "wang" of the Carbquik. May help you to use it up without gagging!! :)

SloLoser
Thu, May-15-08, 09:35
I've tried a lot of Carbquick recipes and didn't care for most of them. However, I really like it for breading chicken or tenderized steak for deep frying. It's nice and crispy and I really like it. :)

LSU Fan
Thu, May-15-08, 09:39
I thought the stuff was awful..........

Not worth the effort and have stuff taste so bad.

little red
Thu, May-15-08, 19:29
I love carbquik! BUT the only things I've ever made and liked were the cheesy "Red Lobster" biscuits and pancakes. (I've also recently discovered that pancakes turn out ever better when cooked in a skillet on our new gas stove. They always fell apart a little when I cooked them on either our old glass top electric stove or on an electric griddle.) Everything else I made tasted too heavy and dry. I didn't like any of the other biscuit recipes, the cookie recipe I tried tasted blah and the pizza crust was gross in comparison to the crispy pizza crust recipe in KevinPA's journal.

BTW, I like to "bread" chicken and pork chops with egg and then dip in a 1/4 cup of almond flour mixed with a tablespoon of oat flour and other "spices" like garlic powder, dry mustard, pepper, etc.

rspar
Sat, May-17-08, 19:49
Has anyone tried substituting mayo for egg yolks?

Luzyanna
Sun, May-18-08, 10:53
Leslie - have you tried the Cheddar Bay Biscuit recipe that's here on the forum? The garlic powder helps mask the "wang" of the Carbquik. May help you to use it up without gagging!! :)

I've heard they are good but it's hard for me to believe since just adding a small amount of CQ to something makes that overwhelming "wang" taste. I'll try them one of these days.

Lickrish
Mon, May-19-08, 21:19
It always depends with me sometimes I do taste it in recipes and its yuck *toss out* and other times its fine. Very inconsistent results. Someone did post a tip of using a bit of vanilla extract in it even for savory dishes to off set the "odd" after taste. It does help some! I use vanilla SF davinci syrup just a little bit.

WyoDiva
Sat, May-31-08, 08:11
I like Carbquik. My problem is that I eat the entire recipe of whatever I make (cookies, scones, biscuits, etc.). I guess it beats eating the entire recipe of the 'real' thing. So, I don't make stuff with it too often - maybe once a month.

I have modified recipes though - like adding more moisture, cooking less time - lest the product turn out too dry/inedible. YMMV. ;)

Qmass
Fri, Jun-20-08, 08:16
I don't care for CarbQuik. I've used it to make waffles, and they didn't come out as well as the low carb pancake and waffle mixes. I also felt bad after eating it, all three times I did it! I would feel lightheaded and jittery and generally just weird.

I finished my box of it, but wouldn't buy it again.