PDA

View Full Version : hi to all of you

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

lindybough
Wed, Apr-11-01, 11:01
Hi to all of you,
Have to admit that I've been a browser on this forum for a longtime. You have to be some of the nicest people I've ever encountered. You are so supportive and kind to each other. Also, Ive learned so much from this site. Doreen, you are a veritible font of knowledge. I do have a question.....what role does flax seed play in a low carb diet?
I'm sure Atkins describes it,b ut I've loaned my copy to a friend and don't plan to go into town for a few days....I live in the Colorado Rockies now and town is a bit of a drive. Hearing all of you Canadians makes me quite nostalgic. My son was born at Royal Jubilee in Victoria and I lived in Duncan on Vancouver Island.......Hear it's changed in the last few years.
Take Care............Lindy

numberonewendy
Wed, Apr-11-01, 14:03
:D

Welcome aboard, glad you joined us. I'm not Doreen of course, but thought I would say hi anyhow...hehehe

Have you been low carbing for awhile? How are you doing? Looking forward to your postings.

Wendy

doreen T
Wed, Apr-11-01, 16:42
Thanks for the kind words. I have to look a lot of stuff up, just so nobody thinks I walk around with it all in my head .. :D

Um, I don't have Atkins' book in front of me, but I don't think he specifically discusses flax as an integral part of the program. In the first Protein Power book (1996), the Eades give two thumbs DOWN for flax, claiming the fatty acid profile would hinder the fat-burning process. In their most recent PP Lifeplan (2000), they've recanted, and now recommend flaxseed oil to their patients.

There's lots of information on the web, and books in the library to explain the health benefits of the Omega-3 fatty acids in flax (and fish oil as well). Click on the Canadian Flax Council's website (http://flaxcouncil.ca/), there's lots of info .. :) .. research, cooking tips, etc...

Flax SEED is a useful, and relatively lowcarb food, and it's an excellent source of fiber. You do need to grind it though, in order to get the benefit of the oil.

Glad you joined us, Lindy. And those Colorado Rockies sound beautiful to me .. :)

Doreen

lindybough
Wed, Apr-11-01, 19:00
Hi
I've been following Atkins for about 2 months. I started out deciding to lose 15 lbs prior to my son's wedding in June. The wedding is in Mexico City and will be very formal. In fact, my daughter in Law to be said evening gowns would be the appropriate attire..........so............ I've lost 7 lbs and can't seem to lose the rest. I am hoping that patience and sticking to the diet will eventually pay off. Although the idea of me in an evening gown.....even losing weight, gives me a chuckle. At any rate....I've suffered with a panic disorder for about a year....been to the doctor, taken the appropriate medication and been sort of ok. The strangest thing about this low card diet is that is has almost alleviated the panic symptoms. I'm not sure why, but this has been almost more important to me than losing weight. Has anyone else had this happen? Take care all of you and thanks for your welcome!
Lindy

numberonewendy
Wed, Apr-11-01, 19:11
I'm not too knowledgable on this Lindy...but from what I have read here...its seems medication can sometimes slow down the weight loss and I have also heard that eating a low carb way can sometimes heal medical problems!

Wendy

LCSue
Wed, Apr-11-01, 20:38
Glad to meet you! What a great motivation to be heading off to Mexico for your son's wedding.

Happy to hear that the diet is helping you in other ways as well. Looking forward to your posts,

drummingal
Mon, May-31-04, 18:55
Just thought I would at least check this out...I've been plateauing for sometime, and found some now and found some interesting answers here, don't know anything about forums, but hopefully, I will learn...and make some new freinds here....by the way, I am 39 soon to be 40

Darlene

Newmarket, Ontario Canada

4beans4me
Tue, Jun-01-04, 17:32
Hello and welcome Lindy! :wave: