PDA

View Full Version : Marinades are fantastic!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

odd sock
Fri, Mar-15-02, 19:20
Marinades are fantastic! You start off with just enough liquid to cover the meat, usually something like olive oil, lemon/lime juice, cooking sherry, vinegars, soy sauce, etc. Then add spices of your choice, cover, and refridgerate at least an hour. I prefer to leave it overnight so that the flavours really permeate the meat. Depending on what flavour you are going for, here are some suggestions for spices (use any combination of the following):

Tex-Mex: olive oil, lemon/lime juice, tablespoon of tequilla, chili (ancho is especially nice), salt, pepper, cumin, oregano, garlic, cilantro/coriander

Northern African: olive oil, lemon/lime juice, garlic, thyme, onion, harrisa, chili, pepper, cinnamon, ginger

Oriental: dry sherry or rice wine, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, 5-spice powder, salt, pepper

Thai/Indonesian: lemon grass, fish sauce, pepper, rice vinegar, coconut milk, chili, garlic, ginger, galangal, cilantro/coriander

Mediterranian: olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, onion, rosemary, sun dried tomatoes, oregano, pepper, salt, balsamic vinegar, wine

Indian: yogurt, curry spices, garam masala, coconut milk, chili, onion, pepper, garlic, ginger, turmeric, mustard seeds, coriander seed

Jamacian: thyme, olive oil, whole allspice, chili, coriander seed, pepper, salt, onion, garlic

I am probably missing a bunch of variations here, but it just requires a bit of experimentation. The more a meat is cut up in pieces, the better the flavour since it covers more surface area.

After marinading, bake, grill, or pan fry your meat. Extra marinade can be used to baste meat while cooking or made into sauce. Do not reuse or eat 'uncooked' marinade because it contains raw meat juices.

destiny62
Wed, Mar-20-02, 10:44
Hi Odd Sock,

Well you seem to be the Marinade Guru! Lotta good info there and I will use it as I have not included chicken as part of my induction because I didn't know what to do with it! Now I do thanks to you ;)

joanne42
Wed, Mar-20-02, 13:17
You want a hot and spicy chicken.. Marinade chicken pieces in Lousiana hot sauce for about an hour and the sautee.. You'll get hot and spicy and a little bit of zing>>LOL

odd sock
Wed, Mar-20-02, 17:16
Originally posted by destiny62
Hi Odd Sock,

Well you seem to be the Marinade Guru!

HAHAHA! LMAO! :lol:
Is it so apparent that I have time on my hands?

I like the hot sauce idea, especially for dear bf.