PDA

View Full Version : Green tea, zinc help in weight loss

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

TeriDoodle
Thu, Mar-14-02, 14:21
For whatever this is worth to you:

"Green Tea: Consider green tea as your beverage of choice if
you're trying to lose weight. People given green tea extract
burned more total and more fat calories than those given
caffeine or placebo in a study published in American Journal
of Clinical Nutrition." (Source: Joann Bally, Exercise Guru from http://www.exercise-tips.com - one of 500+ sites at lifetips.com)

Green tea extract is available as a nutrional supplement.

I also recall that my doctor once told me that extra zinc in the diet helps with weight loss.

Kay
Fri, Mar-15-02, 01:08
Hey Terri,

Thanks for the info. I just bought some green tea tonight, so I am glad to hear that it is so good for me. I have stopped using regular tea at the moment because it is fermented, but I really wanted to replace it with something. Herbals don't do much for me.

I read that green tea is good for prevention of cancer and rheumatoid arthritis, but I didn't know about weight loss. (Teacup) Bottoms up!

shae
Wed, Jun-19-02, 17:07
Hey Teri

When buying green tea extract, what should I look for? How much should I take per day?

Thanks
shae

Natrushka
Wed, Jun-19-02, 17:57
Everything (and more) you ever wanted to know about Green Tea :) (http://www.supplementwatch.com/supatoz/supplement.asp?supplementId=159)

As you can see from the review, to get the metabolic benefits of green tea you'd have to drink a lot of it - the extract which you can take instead will deliver the results you're looking for and there is the added bonus that it they do not contain caffeine.

WholeHealthmd.com (http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/substances_view/1,1525,10032,00.html) has a great write up about Green Tea as well.

For what it's worth, I've been taking green tea extract along with CLA (also written up at Supplementwatch.com) since April 30th. I have noticed an increase in my rising body temp - signalling a rise in RMR (resting metabolic rate). I am now sitting back waiting for the fat to start melting off me ;)

Nat

jaykay
Thu, Jun-20-02, 00:30
good info Teri-doodle and Nat, thanks, That's all the encouragement I need to swap totally to green tea. I'd already started drinking it, so I'll now make sure I get my 4 - 10 cups a day! It's also helping to reduce my milk intake, since I don't like black tea without milk. So - I'm just waiting to metamorphose into a new slimmer (but hotter) me. :D

Natrushka
Thu, Jun-20-02, 06:46
Jay, not sure if it's mentioned in either of those reviews, but green tea must be drunk 'green' - adding milk or sugar (not likely in our cases) will negate the effect of the EGCG (the substance that makes green tea thermogenic)

Nat

Jinkster
Thu, Jun-20-02, 08:18
Thanks so much for this information -- I'd still be drinking my relatively useless coffee if I hadn't seen these posts. Great information, and now I feel righteous about my caffeine intake in the morning ;)

-petra

shae
Thu, Jun-20-02, 09:20
Hi Nat

Thanks for the info. Still a little confused as to the amount you should take per day. Is it 100 mg? Also can you get the extract in decaffinated? I'm from Canada also & what brand do you find is the best & where did you get it?

Thanks
shae

Natrushka
Thu, Jun-20-02, 09:30
Shae, dosages are described in the supplementwatch.com review - you really should read through all of it to be sure you get the right kind. It has to be standardized to a certain percentage of polyphenols to work. Decaffinated Green Tea does not have the same properties in the same concentrations as the caffinated tea, HOWEVER, as I stated above, the Green Tea Extract does not contain caffeine (you can read about more that in the wholehealthmd.com review).

I too am in Canada. I've only found Herbal Select brand thus far that meets the criteria.

HTH
Nat

shae
Thu, Jun-20-02, 10:02
Sorry Nat, I misread your post & didn't go to the supplement watch web site. I just looked at WholeHealthmd.com. I have it figured out now.

Regards,

shae

shae
Thu, Jun-20-02, 10:15
"green tea must be drunk 'green' - adding milk or sugar (not likely in our cases) will negate the effect of the EGCG. "

Does this also include splenda? In the guidelines for use at WholeHealthmd.com it suggests adding a "generous dollop of honey" (which we wouldn't do anyway)

shae

Natrushka
Thu, Jun-20-02, 10:19
Let me check, Shae. I have another source of info on green tea where the milk/sugar thing was mentioned.

Nat

Natrushka
Thu, Jun-20-02, 10:21
Originally posted by shae
Does this also include splenda? In the guidelines for use at WholeHealthmd.com it suggests adding a "generous dollop of honey" (which we wouldn't do anyway)

My bad, Shae. It's just milk. Go ahead with the splenda, or sugar, or honey ;)

Nat

Bonnie
Thu, Jun-20-02, 11:24
I have a question... " green tea"... does it have to be a specific brand...par example I am making iced tea out of Tetley Earl Grey Green Tea as we speak... am I going to reap any benefits beside enjoying a cool sip by the pool :)

Bonnie

Natrushka
Thu, Jun-20-02, 11:36
Any green tea will do it for you, Bonnie. I've used the Earl Grey for iced tea and it's delicious. Just so long as it's not decaf you're getting the benefits :) (and you're still getting them with decaf, only at about 1/3 stength)

Nat

Bonnie
Thu, Jun-20-02, 15:26
Originally posted by Natrushka
Any green tea will do it for you, Bonnie. I've used the Earl Grey for iced tea and it's delicious. Just so long as it's not decaf you're getting the benefits :) (and you're still getting them with decaf, only at about 1/3 stength)

Nat

Thanks Nat...it is not decaf and will continue to make it by the gallon now :D

Bonnie

fern2340
Thu, Jun-20-02, 19:54
Thanks for the info Nat! :thup: I havent had a chance to visit the link yet but I will when I get back on Monday. You have me interested now!!

Linda

amieK
Sun, Jun-23-02, 23:10
I am fond of traditional Japanese green tea. Jasmine tea is lovely as well. No sweetener added, I think it would wreck the subtle flavours. But I suppose green tea may be an acquired taste.

I find green tea very diuretic and I need to make extra trips to the WC and increase my water intake to make up for it. Green tea does seem to help with my weight loss though. Whenever I drink at least 3 cups a day the scales soon report a favourable result.

shae
Tue, Jul-02-02, 16:21
Hi,

I recently purchased some green tea extract & paid $34 can. for 30 capsules (the directions say to take with meals) I find that kind of high. Does anyone know where to find this in Alberta for less?

Thanks

shae :spin:

Natrushka
Tue, Jul-02-02, 17:20
That does seem quite high - I'd call around looking for the Herbal Select brand (most stores carry it and if they don't cary the green tea they can probably order it) I pay $9.49 for 60 capsules and they last about 3 weeks. I get mine at Bulk Bark, BTW.

Nat

Skinny2
Wed, Jul-17-02, 17:28
I've been hearing about Exolease (spelling?) lately. Apparently it's flying off the shelves and it's a green tea extract. Very expensive - CDN$80 for one month's supply.

Has anyone heard about this and it's effects? Supposed to lose 2-3 lb. per week without changing diet.

Natrushka
Wed, Jul-17-02, 18:25
Nope, Skinny, never heard of it.

The active constituents in green tea are a family of polyphenols (catechins) and flavonols which possess potent antioxidant activity. Tannins, large polyphenol molecules, form the bulk of the active compounds in green tea, with catechins comprising nearly 90%. Several catechins are present in significant quantities; epicatechin (EC), epigallocatechin (EGC), epicatechin gallate (ECG) and epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG). EGCG makes up about 10-50% of the total catechin content and appears to be the most powerful of the catechins – with antioxidant activity about 25-100 times more potent than vitamins C and E. A cup of green tea may provide 10-40mg of polyphenols and has antioxidant activity greater than a serving of broccoli, spinach, carrots or strawberries. A number of commercial green tea extracts are standardized to total polyphenol content and/or EGCG content.

I'm not sure what Exolease is but anything that promises those kinds of results w/o any diet change ..... I'd be a little suspicious. OK a lot suspicious ;)

Nat

Skinny2
Thu, Jul-18-02, 09:30
Natrushka, I'm with you really. But you know how we are... we'll try it once anyway. At that price, even a couple or few pounds a month would be worth it to me. Although I'm back on track losing on Atkins, any little push would be appreciated.

In Vancouver, Mark's Plaza Pharmacy on Oak Street is promoting that product, Exolise. I went to their website and the Exolise ad is the first thing you see, so ....thought you might be interested in reading more about it.

http://www.mpphealth.com/

smurfette
Sat, Jul-20-02, 16:06
Hey Nat,
also fellow Canuck. Wondering if Morrocan Mint (President's Choice) is o.k. as it has stevia right in it. Its the only one I actually like drinking. Would be great cool on the rocks in the summer...
on a different note...finding myslef irritable :mad: ...o.k. more than my normal self after three days Atkins...you veterans experience this.?

02BSlim
Sun, Jul-21-02, 05:11
I read in a health book some time ago that sea kelp is very good when you are losing weight because it stops the metabolism slowing down, and if you have a sluggish metabolism, it regulates it (speeds it up).

I take a sea kelp supplement every day. It is 150ug and I buy a bottle of 500 tablets. The dosage is one tablet per day. I can't remember the price, but it is not expensive.

On the back of the bottle it says:

Kelp is a rich source of the trace mineral iodine which is necessary for normal growth and development. Iodine is required for the healthy functioning of the thyroid gland. As a vital component of two thyroid hormones, iodine plays an important role in the body's metabolism, the rate at which the body burns food for energy, and in the maintenance of connective tissue.

I know people who also take it for their joints.

To the best of my knowledge it won't interfere with low carbing, but perhaps a moderator can confirm this. It works for me.

:)

smurfette
Sun, Jul-21-02, 05:51
Hi,
That's interesting about the kelp...I'm all for anything that helps...just curious about the iodine they put in table salt though...wouldn't that do the same thing then or is that type different??

02BSlim
Mon, Jul-22-02, 03:14
Smurfette

I would imagine that the iodine in table salt would be the same, except you wouldn't be ingesting very much iodine a day, certainly not the quantity in the kelp tablets. Too much salt is not good for you and also is contributes to water retention.

I'll try anything to help that isn't dangerous or illegal!

;)

smurfette
Mon, Jul-22-02, 05:17
Hi 2bSlim,

You are right about the salt being too much. Point well taken. Mostly I don't take anything. I am really sensitive to everything. I think a lot of stuff is so risky. No point in being slim and sick eh? Hey, I love your name. Would make a license plate!

Natrushka
Mon, Jul-29-02, 16:38
I started drinking green tea (mostly because I like it) and got some supplements as well. I was wondering, though, whether or not you could count a glass of tea (no milk, no sweetener) as one water.

I would have to say no, Skinny2. Water is water and green tea is not water. Green tea is caffinated and will dehydrate you, for every glass I would suggest another glass of water (above and beyond what you already drink). The extract supplements don't count this way, though. They are caffeine free.

I posted this here as your PM box is full. I think you'll get more replies this way as well (you'll definitely get more than just mine).

HTH
Nat

maggie3456
Tue, Aug-06-02, 08:31
guess i am going to have to run out and get some green tea :)
thanks for the info
maggie :cool:

bblondie
Tue, Aug-27-02, 16:42
can I replace my water with green tea or do I have to drink 100 oz of water plus 4 cups of green tea??

Thanks for all the info.
BBlondie

Mibashful
Wed, Oct-29-03, 21:26
i just bought the one a day weight smart vitimins with green tea extract with the (EGCG) i hope that is the same i just bought it tonight let me know thanks an active atkins looser.

Mibashful
Wed, Oct-29-03, 21:30
I just bought the new vitimin one aday weight smart vitimin with green tea extract, also with (EGCG) hope this works an avid atkins looser. shelly

carol.pino
Thu, Nov-06-03, 09:50
I've been taking 4 capsules of 150mg. each of the green tea extract for a couple of weeks now and today I need to refill my vitamins...

I think I will get one a day weight smart...

One question, is that toooo much green tea????