PDA

View Full Version : REAL protein powder?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

emmy_808
Tue, Apr-22-08, 21:23
I found some protein powder at Henry's Market (healthy food store in San Diego area) and it has 0 carbs, with a flour-like consistency. But tastes like nothing.
I'm wondering if anyone has any uses for this powder? I'm on induction for the next 13 days but after that...what to do with it?

Wifezilla
Tue, Apr-22-08, 21:49
Use it in smoothies. Use it as a flour replacement in pancakes...

Try doing a google search for "low carb recipe protein powder" and see what comes up.

Kisal
Wed, Apr-23-08, 02:19
You can add it to just about anything you bake. You can even mix it with other "floury" types of things and use it to bread chicken, etc. If a recipe calls for a flavored protein powder, yours will work just fine, although you might have to add some flavor extra like vanilla or chocolate to the recipe to get it to come out right. I purposely bought unflavored protein powder so I could do that. I feel like it gives me a little more flexibility. :)

emmy_808
Wed, Apr-23-08, 12:04
So, I could use this to make bread without any help from flour? Or would that just mess it all up? (wishful thinking)

Kisal
Wed, Apr-23-08, 15:38
So, I could use this to make bread without any help from flour? Or would that just mess it all up? (wishful thinking)Not a bread that would resemble real bread. Real breads require flours that contain gluten in order to rise properly. You could add it to a recipe for flax bread, though, and maybe get a more bread-like texture.

I even add it to Oopsie rolls once in awhile, although I usually just add flax meal to them. :)