PDA

View Full Version : Seven Eggs A Week Can Kill You!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

PilotGal
Fri, Apr-11-08, 03:24
eggs can kill you (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/10/AR2008041001524.html)

THURSDAY, April 10 (HealthDay News) -- A new study suggests that consuming more than six eggs a week seems to raise the risk of dying from all causes.

And diabetics seem to face an even higher mortality risk, according to the study that was limited to men.

"The more eggs diabetic men consumed, the more they increased their risk for death," said study lead author Dr. Luc Djousse, an associate epidemiologist at Brigham and Women's Hospital and an assistant professor at Harvard Medical School in Boston.

Djousse and his team analyzed egg consumption and mortality data among more than 21,000 men who had participated in a Physician's Health Study that explored heart disease and cancer prevention among American male doctors.

Participants ranged in age from 40 to 86. Over an average of 20 years, all the doctors completed annual written questionnaires on daily egg consumption, stroke and heart attack incidence, diabetes status, cholesterol levels, alcohol and smoking habits, and general dietary information.

On average, the physicians were found to have consumed one egg a week -- a rate the study authors termed "relatively low."

Overall, egg consumption wasn't found to be associated with heart attack or stroke risk. And consumption of up to six eggs a week also wasn't found to be associated with a higher risk of death from all causes. But eating seven or more eggs a week among healthy study participants was linked to a 23 percent higher risk of death.

Even more striking was the finding that mortality risk was much higher among those doctors with diabetes. Consuming seven or more eggs a week doubled their risk of death from all causes, compared with diabetic doctors who ate just one egg each week.

The findings were published in the April issue ofThe American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

waywardsis
Fri, Apr-11-08, 05:21
I blogged about this one, bc it made me so mad - in Yahoo News, they included the part about how the ppl who died earlier also smoked and had other factors. This was included as an afterthought, of course, because we all know it was the eggs that did it.

Mike Eades is going to blog about this as well.

deirdra
Fri, Apr-11-08, 07:08
How many SAD people eat these eggs without toast?

pauleo
Fri, Apr-11-08, 07:12
I blogged about this one, bc it made me so mad - in Yahoo News, they included the part about how the ppl who died earlier also smoked and had other factors. This was included as an afterthought, of course, because we all know it was the eggs that did it.

The researchers did attempt to remove these other factors statistically, and were still left with the effect. Here's the relevant bit of the abstract

"Compared with subjects who reported egg consumption of <1 per week, hazard ratios (95% confidence intervals) for HF were 1.28 (1.02 to 1.61) and 1.64 (1.08 to 2.49) for egg consumption of 1 per day and ≥2 per day, respectively, after adjustment for age, body mass index, smoking, alcohol consumption, exercise, and history of atrial fibrillation, hypertension, valvular heart disease, and hypercholesterolemia."

ruthla
Fri, Apr-11-08, 07:17
I suspect that, if any "protective" effect was found from limiting eggs, it's only because the people who actually listened to that nutritonal advice are the same people who took care of their health in general- avoiding processed foods, exercising regularly, etc.

I also can't help but read "death from all causes" and the title "seven eggs a week can kill you" and visuallize hard-boiled eggs in catapults thrown at people's heads- perhaps eggs are deadly when used that way, rather than eaten? ;)

lowjax
Fri, Apr-11-08, 09:52
Here's what I pictured:

Egg Launcher
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/metallinostheos/Egg.jpg

I suppose if it is turned up high enough, it would kill someone.

Hellistile
Fri, Apr-11-08, 13:17
I can't submit a comment because I've been dead for about 5 years from eating too many eggs.

paleodude
Fri, Apr-11-08, 17:41
If I were in high school and turned this in as a report for a class, I would of probably gotten a D- at the most. This is supposed to be scientific research?

First they make the claim: "Middle-aged men who ate seven or more eggs a week had a higher risk of earlier death, U.S. researchers reported on Wednesday."

"The study adds to an ever-growing body of evidence, much of it contradictory, about how safe eggs are to eat." In other words after about 40 years of this nonsense they still can't make a conclusion. Shocked

"Whereas egg consumption of up to six eggs a week was not associated with the risk of all-cause mortality, consumption of (seven or more) eggs a week was associated with a 23 percent greater risk of death.."
Now this makes no sense at all. 6 are OK, but 7 are deadly? If eggs were bad for you wouldn't 4 be a little worse than 3, wouldn't 7 be a little worse than 6?

"Men with diabetes who ate any eggs at all raised their risk of death during a 20-year period studied, according to the study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition."
I have no comment on this.

"Egg consumption was not associated with (heart attack) or stroke," the researchers wrote.
If you eat 6 eggs a week you are OK, but if you eat 7 you increase your risk of death by 23%. But egg consumption was not associated with (heart attack) or stroke. So with all the data can't they report what was the usual cause of death in those men who ate that deadly 7th egg?

The final paragraph:

"Men who ate the most eggs also were older, fatter, ate more vegetables but less breakfast cereal, and were more likely to drink alcohol, smoke and less likely to exercise -- all factors that can affect the risk of heart attack and death."
I thought more vegetables were good for you and a drink or two a day was 'heart healthy Now they are lumping them in with "all factors that can affect the risk of heart attack and death." But didn't they say earlier in this article: "Egg consumption was not associated with (heart attack) or stroke"?

Now, I know why everyday when I get off work I see a long line of cars at McDonald's, KFC and Burger King. Most Americans don't care at all about healthy food choices. They have been inundated for years with research articles like this contradicts itself and don't make any sense. Huh

Chefjen
Fri, Apr-11-08, 19:12
LOL I read this and think

HEADLINE :

"ALL THINGS CAN KILL YOU"

Today recent study shows breathing, talking, walking, driving, and YES FOLKS EGGS!! can killyou

LOL pathetic!

now back to my omlette

KarenJ
Fri, Apr-11-08, 20:36
paleodude

Bingo! You are most welcome here. :wave:

You have put into words what I could not, although I was feeling that itchiness. Thanks.

Jargon
Fri, Apr-11-08, 23:26
Wait wait wait...

Aren't ALL of us at risk for death from any cause?

pbowers
Sat, Apr-12-08, 00:21
biggest problem with this study was not controlling for total energy intake, with high energy intake usually correlating with high CHO intake. they said they tracked the macronutrient composition of the participants' diets, why not contol for it?

feelskinny
Sat, Apr-12-08, 02:20
Okay,then I died 29 years ago....

LilithD
Sat, Apr-12-08, 02:45
I eat abouit 14 a week. Oh well, once I'm male, older and fatter and eat more veges, I'd better watch out...

mermaiden9
Sat, Apr-12-08, 03:20
What the ??? is dying from all causes supposed to mean anyway?

moggsy
Sat, Apr-12-08, 04:46
Precisely that. Not all the deaths were health related, and the health related deaths didn't always have a known connection to diet, diabetes, or obesity.

sveltecelt
Sat, Apr-12-08, 07:15
Where do these clinical researchers get their ideas and data?
The annecdotal data---real people eating real food---is where the truth is!
People in my family have been eating eggs most/every day of the week and living into their 80's and 90's.

Yeah, I guess it took from 85-98 years for those eggs to kill my kin folk!
This reminds me of those New Zealanders that claim butter is poison. It also took at least 85 years and in some cases 94 and 98 years for butter to "poison" my family members.

Sheesh! :lol:

LessLiz
Sat, Apr-12-08, 07:36
The annecdotal data---real people eating real food---is where the truth is!biggest problem with this study was not controlling for total energy intake, with high energy intake usually correlating with high CHO intake. they said they tracked the macronutrient composition of the participants' diets, why not contol for it? This is not a clinical study. It is an epidemiological study of what real people -- in this case physicians -- really eat -- in this case what they report in surveys that they eat -- along with their self-reported lifestyle and their health.

Without taking any issue with how corrections were made for other risk factors, as well as ignoring the causation.correlation issue, what is striking to me in these types of reports is how strongly one believes the data. How many people who report they eat on average 6 eggs a week actually eat on average 5 or 4 or 7 or 8 eggs per week? Stop and think about it for a minute -- how many people can accurately report exactly what they eat over the course of one year, much less 20 years?

pennink
Sat, Apr-12-08, 07:55
no wonder we all get blank stares when we tell low fatting friends that our health improved while eating a dozen eggs...

it's an uphill battle, everyone!

*btw, my doctor told me my b12 was low and I should eat MORE eggs... :lol: guess she doesn't think yahoo news is a valid source of medical information.

hahahahhaaa!!!

nocarbkat
Sat, Apr-12-08, 08:42
I had to dig myself up to write this post

pauleo
Sat, Apr-12-08, 10:31
Without taking any issue with how corrections were made for other risk factors, as well as ignoring the causation.correlation issue, what is striking to me in these types of reports is how strongly one believes the data. How many people who report they eat on average 6 eggs a week actually eat on average 5 or 4 or 7 or 8 eggs per week? Stop and think about it for a minute -- how many people can accurately report exactly what they eat over the course of one year, much less 20 years?

Another confounding issue is that industrial-farm chickens are kept in abysmal conditions, eating the worst kind of feed soaked in antibiotics, so that it would not be that surprising if eggs now contain toxic substances. I buy 'organic' eggs, but still from the big producers, and I can't say my confidence in the organic label is high.

Lisa N
Sat, Apr-12-08, 13:21
Wait wait wait...

Aren't ALL of us at risk for death from any cause?

Nah...I plan to die of absolutely nothing at all. ;) :lol:

mermaiden9
Sat, Apr-12-08, 14:14
I'm so grateful to Yahoo for getting me off the road to dying of all causes. I've decided to cut out all egg consumption and live forever. ;)

LisaAC
Sat, Apr-12-08, 14:34
I can't submit a comment because I've been dead for about 5 years from eating too many eggs.

:lol: I think I'm in the same mosilium then . LOL.

mstares
Sat, Apr-12-08, 16:17
I wonder if "all causes" included being hit by a buse, shot by ajealous lover, having a Mount Everest accident or choking on a popsicle stick?

Nancy LC
Sat, Apr-12-08, 17:38
I wonder if "all causes" included being hit by a buse, shot by ajealous lover, having a Mount Everest accident or choking on a popsicle stick?
Or getting mugged because you smell like eggs?

pennink
Sat, Apr-12-08, 18:26
well guys, just wanted to come by and say goodbye. I had 6 eggs today, tomorrow's brekkie will put me over the edge.

:wave: :cry: it was nice knowing you all!

mermaiden9
Sat, Apr-12-08, 21:16
see ya
We'll miss you heaps

DarleenMB
Sat, Apr-12-08, 21:52
Another confounding issue is that industrial-farm chickens are kept in abysmal conditions, eating the worst kind of feed soaked in antibiotics, so that it would not be that surprising if eggs now contain toxic substances. I buy 'organic' eggs, but still from the big producers, and I can't say my confidence in the organic label is high.

YEAH. Those eggs are disgusting! The whites are runny, the shells are paper thin and they stink.

I had been buying the organic, free range ones and they're better but the other day at the local health food emporium I picked up some from a local ranch. OMG I had forgotten how delicious a REAL egg tastes!!!

Oh and goodbye cruel world. I had, let's see, 14 eggs this past week? No, make that 15. I must be dead.

CMCM
Sun, Apr-13-08, 01:09
Jeez, here they go again with the eggs. It's cyclical, every few years they resurrect the egg hypothesis. Same with coffee/caffeine. Honestly, every time I hear a report that starts with "a new study revealed......" I think of stuff that Gary Taubes discussed about the lousy science. And ONE study really shows nothing at all. Balooey on all of them. There are so many variables, and just once I'd love to see an egg study done with Atkins or other LC eaters. Well, I've had eggs for breakfast every day for over a year now. I'm not dead yet, my health is great, my cholesterol didn't go up from the eggs.

64dodger
Sun, Apr-13-08, 02:40
I must be dead. I have been eating three scrambled eggs with butter for 15 to 20 years.

Baerdric
Sun, Apr-13-08, 04:53
I must be dead. I can only assume we are ALL dead. I eat six eggs a day easily, except now, while doing induction. My Cholesterol is lower than when I was vegan, 50 points lower. I thereby deduce that your cholesterol lowers when you are dead.

mstares
Sun, Apr-13-08, 05:16
I also wonder if those reporting egg consumption are considering the eggs that they get from other parts of their diet. Nearly all baked goods contain eggs. Not to mention rice dishes, mayonnaise, anything battered and fried, or even just pan fried! If you are not low carbing and eating a *regular* north American diet you can easily be eating 6 or 7 eggs a week and never have an egg on a plate in front of you. Unless you are familiar with baking and cooking and especially only ate what you prepared yourself, you'd never know how much egg you consumed. My experience with doctors is that they don't spend a lot of time in the kitchen!

LessLiz
Sun, Apr-13-08, 08:57
What I really found annoying about this story is that it drove down the price of my egg company stock!

Baerdric
Sun, Apr-13-08, 09:11
What I really found annoying about this story is that it drove down the price of my egg company stock!That would be irritating! But just wait, some other study will come out in a few weeks and the price will go back up. Now might be a good time to buy...

alisbabe
Sun, Apr-13-08, 11:19
I was wondering about this yesterday.

Did they control for how the eggs were cooked?

I cannot see how plain boiled or poached eggs would cause any problem whatsoever.

However, at least in the UK, I think it would be unusual for anyone to eat that many eggs without being a bodybuilder or low carber, unless they were eating a fry-up every day.

Most people here fry in vegetable oil which really isn't very healthy.

amandawald
Sun, Apr-13-08, 11:59
One thing I've heard about eggs is that they contain some substance (lutein???) in large quantities which wards off - apparently - advanced macular degeneration. My own experience with eating eggs is that if I start the day with 2 eggs, I feel much better and more energetic the whole day long.

So, what options do I face: feeling more energetic NOW and NOT going blind or dying - possibly - a teeny bit sooner than I might have done anyway? These kinds of "studies" should be banned!

amanda

pennink
Sun, Apr-13-08, 13:30
well guys, just wanted to come by and say goodbye. I had 6 eggs today, tomorrow's brekkie will put me over the edge.

:wave: :cry: it was nice knowing you all!

unbelievably, I survived. So there, study. I have eaten 12 eggs in two days and I'm here to taunt you! nyah.

ChicknLady
Sun, Apr-13-08, 16:42
My girls are deeply offended by this slanderous article! They take their egg-laying very seriously. I'm at six eggs a day now, and still kickin'.

ruthla
Sun, Apr-13-08, 18:03
No, only choking on eggs. :lol:

glennette
Sun, Apr-13-08, 18:54
No, only choking on eggs. :lol:

If anyone is choking on thier eggs, I'd suggest that they peel or crack them first disposing of the shell. Unless they really are a snake, of course. :lol:

Zei
Sun, Apr-13-08, 22:19
Dying from all causes? I'm picturing these egg lovers who don't bother to fasten their seatbelts and thus die in car crashes more often. It must be the eggs.

Saskaloon
Sun, Apr-13-08, 23:08
According to Wikipedia's entry on CLA, eggs have a high content of CLA which is unaffected by high cooking temperatures:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conjugated_linoleic_acid

CLA, also found in meats, is suspected of redistributing fatty acids in the heart and other body organs.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/research/publications/publications.htm?SEQ_NO_115=179685

Of course, then again, I am not a mouse, bird, or research scientist. :D

Besides, I'm sure someone will eventually post more recent studies which show benefits that outweigh/disprove the older findings.

Either way, I'll keep eating my eggs and not take any manufactured CLA supplements. ;)

I will put forth that some keywords here should, at least, be "moderation" and "YMMV".

.\\ark

paleodude
Mon, Apr-14-08, 11:32
What the ??? is dying from all causes supposed to mean anyway?

It means if you walk to the corner market to buy a dozen eggs you could get hit and killed by a speeding taxi.

feelskinny
Mon, Apr-14-08, 11:45

:lol: Good point! :lol:

amandawald
Wed, Apr-16-08, 12:21
According to Wikipedia's entry on CLA, eggs have a high content of CLA which is unaffected by high cooking temperatures:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conjugated_linoleic_acid

CLA, also found in meats, is suspected of redistributing fatty acids in the heart and other body organs.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/research/publications/publications.htm?SEQ_NO_115=179685

Of course, then again, I am not a mouse, bird, or research scientist. :D

Besides, I'm sure someone will eventually post more recent studies which show benefits that outweigh/disprove the older findings.

Either way, I'll keep eating my eggs and not take any manufactured CLA supplements. ;)

.\\ark

Check out Barry Groves' website "Second Opinions" for info on CLA. It's mighty good stuff - they gave it to seniors in a study I happened to read (don't ask me where) who were doing workouts, and the CLA supplement (plus something else that is found in dairy/meat) helped them gain more muscle than the control group who didn't take it. Low protein = no muscle gain. High protein = food to build new muscle.

HOpe this puts your mind at rest.

amanda

feelskinny
Wed, Apr-16-08, 14:56
My girls are deeply offended by this slanderous article! They take their egg-laying very seriously.

Tell your girls I appreciate them very, very much :) and just to spite that stupid article and affecting the stock market...I'm goin' to eat 5 eggs/day instead of 2!!

Take that! :thup:

Saskaloon
Fri, Apr-18-08, 00:12
Amanda: Thanks for the response. I did as you suggested and checked-out Groves' Second Opinions site and found a few of his articles on CLA.

I feel it is promising that there are anti-cancer properties to this substance. It's even more interesting that CLA is naturally in meat, eggs, and used to be found in full fat milk/dairy. (Non-fat milk doesn't have it!)

Anyway, I'm still not going to fill-up on "too much of a good thing"; but, daily, I will now enjoy these foods even more.

Have a good weekend!

.\\ark

amandawald
Fri, Apr-18-08, 02:29
Amanda: Thanks for the response. I did as you suggested and checked-out Groves' Second Opinions site and found a few of his articles on CLA.

I feel it is promising that there are anti-cancer properties to this substance. It's even more interesting that CLA is naturally in meat, eggs, and used to be found in full fat milk/dairy. (Non-fat milk doesn't have it!)

Anyway, I'm still not going to fill-up on "too much of a good thing"; but, daily, I will now enjoy these foods even more.

Have a good weekend!

.\\ark

Thank you! You too! On the subject of eggs, though, I'm half regretting having read "The Protein Power Lifeplan" by the good Drs. Eades - there I learnt that my favourite way of eating eggs (as an omelette or scrambled in butter or bacon fat) produces stuff called "lipid peroxides" which are apparently very dangerous... According to them, you should only eat them poached or boiled so that you don't break the yokes. Pity I can't stand poached eggs and boiled eggs I only eat as egg mayo (with mayo made from sunflower oil, which is another no-no in their book).

Sometimes my thirst for knowledge about these dietary issues gives me a bit more information than I really needed...

But I'm not giving up my scrambled eggs or my omelettes - they're the only thing that really keep me going in the morning!!!

Oh, and by the way, another good site to cruise around is the one put out by the Weston A. Price Foundation. If you google the name, you're bound to find it. The other superfood they recommend is liver - must try it out!

amanda

sunkizzed
Fri, Apr-18-08, 09:13
righhhhhhhhhhht...tell that to my 89 year old granny whose sharper than a tack, resiliant, still has black hair (with streaks of grey, she does not use hair dye ever) shes been eating 2-3 eggs a day since she could walk and talk that was back in the 20's people! of course they didnt factor in all the other possible junk SAD people eat, smoking,drinking etc after all it had to be the eggs....damn those eggs!

LC FP
Fri, Apr-18-08, 12:46
I believe fried eggs with relatively intact yolks are OK, too. Whipping up the yolk when scrambling exposes the cholesterol in the yolk to oxygen, when combined with heat causes oxidation of the cholestrol. Just like rancid fish oil, it uses up your antioxidant capacity to repair it. Maybe if you scrambled your eggs in a nitrogen environment, on an electric stove...

amandawald
Tue, Apr-22-08, 01:55
I believe fried eggs with relatively intact yolks are OK, too. Whipping up the yolk when scrambling exposes the cholesterol in the yolk to oxygen, when combined with heat causes oxidation of the cholestrol. Just like rancid fish oil, it uses up your antioxidant capacity to repair it. Maybe if you scrambled your eggs in a nitrogen environment, on an electric stove...

And what about ensuring that you have adequate intake of anti-oxidants to counteract the effect???

I don't have any nitrogen in the house right now...

;) amanda

Daryl
Fri, Jul-18-08, 17:36
WASHINGTON - Middle-aged men who ate seven or more eggs a week had a higher risk of earlier death, U.S. researchers reported on Wednesday.

Men with diabetes who ate any eggs at all raised their risk of death during a 20-year period studied, according to the study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

The study adds to an ever-growing body of evidence, much of it contradictory, about how safe eggs are to eat. It did not examine what about the eggs might affect the risk of death.

Men without diabetes could eat up to six eggs a week with no extra risk of death, Dr. Luc Djousse and Dr. J. Michael Gaziano of Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard Medical School found.

"Whereas egg consumption of up to six eggs a week was not associated with the risk of all-cause mortality, consumption of (seven or more) eggs a week was associated with a 23 percent greater risk of death," they wrote.

"However, among male physicians with diabetes, any egg consumption is associated with a greater risk of all-cause mortality, and there was suggestive evidence for a greater risk of MI (heart attack) and stroke."

They urged more study in the general population.

Neither 'good' nor 'bad'
Eggs are rich in cholesterol, which in high amounts can clog arteries and raise the risk of heart attack and stroke.

One expert on nutrition and heart disease said the study suggests middle-aged men, at least, should watch how many eggs they eat.

"More egg on our faces? It's really hard to say at this point, but it still seems, if you're a middle-aged male physician and enjoy eggs more than once a day, that having some of the egg left on your face may be better than having it go down your gullet," said Dr. Robert Eckel of the University of Colorado and a former president of the American Heart Association.

"But, remember: eggs are like all other foods — they are neither 'good' nor 'bad,' and they can be part of an overall heart-healthy diet," Eckel wrote in a commentary.

More likely to drink, smoke
The Harvard team studied 21,327 men taking part in the much larger Physicians' Health Study, which has been watching doctors since 1981 who have agreed to report regularly on their health and lifestyle habits.

Over 20 years, 1,550 of the men had heart attacks, 1,342 had strokes, and more than 5,000 died.

"Egg consumption was not associated with (heart attack) or stroke," the researchers wrote.

But the men who ate seven eggs a week or more were 23 percent more likely to have died during the 20-year period.

Diabetic men who ate any eggs at all were twice as likely to die in the 20 years.

Men who ate the most eggs also were older, fatter, ate more vegetables but less breakfast cereal, and were more likely to drink alcohol, smoke and less likely to exercise — all factors that can affect the risk of heart attack and death.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24028358/

Couldn't they have just printed that last paragraph, instead of slandering eggs?

rightnow
Fri, Jul-18-08, 17:52
Men who ate the most eggs also were older, fatter, ate more vegetables but less breakfast cereal, and were more likely to drink alcohol, smoke and less likely to exercise — all factors that can affect the risk of heart attack and death.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24028358/

Couldn't they have just printed that last paragraph, instead of slandering eggs?

Do you think if you had all the correlative statistics on a group of men, and you ran them, you would find that men who wore ties that were red or yellow had by far a greater risk of dying than men who wore ties that were blue or brown?

alisbabe
Sat, Jul-19-08, 03:15
I also have a theory on this. At least in the UK mainstream, the kind of men who would eat loads of eggs would not only fit that drinking smoking overweight profile anyway, but it would be likely that they would be eating those eggs fried. If you eat fried food in a cafe or takaway it will be cooked in vegetable oil or sunflower oil and most people also use this at home. The better off and health concious may use olive oil but it's very rare for people to cook in lard or other animal fats these days.

LC FP
Sun, Jul-20-08, 10:41
The same correlation that was made about women who took hormone replacement therapy. We used to think they had fewer heart attacks because of the hormones. They forgot to tell us those same women smoked less, got more exercise, weighed less and ate more radishes,or whatever.

amandawald
Sun, Jul-20-08, 13:37
As far as I know, being a doctor, particularly a doctor in a hospital, is a very stressful job.

One doctor, Dr. Malcolm Kendrick, writes very persuasively in his book, "The Great Cholesterol Con" that stress is one of the major factors in causing heart disease (along with insulin spikes).

Maybe we should recommend to our doctors that they give up their stressful jobs so they don't have heart attacks?

That would probably be a far more effective measure than telling them to eat fewer eggs.

And then we wouldn't have to listen to them telling us rubbish like you get in this article like: "Eggs are rich in cholesterol, which in high amounts can clog arteries and raise the risk of heart attack and stroke".

I thought eggs had generally been rehabilitated because it had been proved that dietary cholesterol has little or no effect on serum cholesterol. I have read about a number of studies in which this finding was made.

amanda

ruthla
Sun, Jul-20-08, 14:58
Hmm. I'm trying to think how 7 eggs a week could possibly be lethal. Well, if I fed eggs to my friend's 4yo I'd have to use the epi-pen, pour a double-dose of benadryl down his throat, and call 911, but they didnt' mention anything about the people in this study being allergic to eggs. And come to think of it, egg yolks would be harmless for him anyway, it's the white's he's allergic to.

Maybe if we shot them at people's heads? I don't know, are hard boiled eggs hard enough to be used as effective bullets?

anyway...
Sun, Jul-20-08, 20:45
Maybe if we shot them at people's heads? I don't know, are hard boiled eggs hard enough to be used as effective bullets?

Probably... if you shot them out of a potato gun. :D

Feinman
Mon, Jul-21-08, 04:57
Forgive me if this is too widely posted on the forum but I hope to meet with the NIH and with congressional aides this month and the more signatures and commentaries I have, the better I can combat crazy articles like this. We have all endured great frustration but there are now people trying to get the message out.

The petition site:
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/get-the-nih-to-acknowledge-the-existing-science-and-fund-more-research-by-the-experts-who-have

Zei
Mon, Jul-21-08, 13:04
My 12 year old has got this stuff all figured out. He observed that everyone who drinks water dies, so water is the cause of death.

j_the_p
Mon, Jul-21-08, 13:18
I usually eat more than 7 eggs per day. My risk of death is staggeringly high.

Mmmm....eggs.... :yum:

ethang
Mon, Jul-21-08, 15:05
I usually eat more than 7 eggs per day. My risk of death is staggeringly high.

Mmmm....eggs.... :yum:

lol I think most of us can relate :yum:

capmikee
Mon, Jul-21-08, 15:14
How about 25 eggs a day?

http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com/2007/11/how-many-eggs-per-day.html

If you've never seen this blog before, have a look at some of the other posts. It's fabulous!

Mike

rightnow
Mon, Jul-21-08, 15:50
an 88-year-old man who, for ill-defined psychological reasons, has consumed 20 to 30 eggs daily for at least 15 years
LOL! Maybe he just REALLY LIKES EGGS!

deirdra
Tue, Jul-22-08, 07:27
Did they count how much toast & pastries these doctors ate with their eggs?

They never seem to do risk-of-death calculations for foods "they" consider to be benign.

deirdra
Tue, Jul-22-08, 07:35
LOL! Maybe he just REALLY LIKES EGGS!Or has little money and finds that eggs have the best ratio of fat:protein:carbs, make him feel great, and can be eaten even if you have no teeth or poorly-fitting dentures. But no, medical professionals decide it must be a psychosis causing him to eat so many eggs.

melloyello
Tue, Jul-22-08, 09:05
Hmmm. I'm kind of craving scrambled eggs right now.
So, at least this article was helpful in some way.
It helped me decide what to have for breakfast.

ruthla
Tue, Jul-22-08, 11:24
My 12 year old has got this stuff all figured out. He observed that everyone who drinks water dies, so water is the cause of death.
Of course, DHMO (http://www.dhmo.org/) is toxic stuff!

Forgive me if this is too widely posted on the forum but I hope to meet with the NIH and with congressional aides this month and the more signatures and commentaries I have, the better I can combat crazy articles like this. We have all endured great frustration but there are now people trying to get the message out.

The petition site:
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/ge...xperts-who-haveI'll check out that petition as soon as I finish this post!

ruthla
Tue, Jul-22-08, 11:27
How about 25 eggs a day?

http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com/2007/11/how-many-eggs-per-day.html

If you've never seen this blog before, have a look at some of the other posts. It's fabulous!

Mike
"ill defined psychological reasons"- in other words, the researchers thought he was crazy but there was nothing actually wrong with the guy. :lol: