PDA

View Full Version : [CKD] Breaking thru w/Glutamine...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

MikeEdward
Tue, Mar-12-02, 22:08
While browsing this forum, I came across something that Trainer Dan had written about crashing through strength plateaus by supplementing heavily with large amounts of Glutamine.

Now, for the life of me, I can't find that post! Does anyone happen to know where that post is located?

Thanks!

Karen
Wed, Mar-13-02, 00:50
To do a search, click the search icon at the top right. Thpe glutamine under keyword and trainerdan under under user name. Check off view results as posts, click perform search and you'll be sure to find it.

Karen

Trainerdan
Wed, Mar-13-02, 19:37
Glutamine is one of the most intensely studied nutrients in sports nutrition over the last 5 years.

It is one of the most versitile and useful nutients for sports performance. Research has shown that glutamine is very useful against the catabolic stress that is imposed on the body by resistance training.

Glutamine has also been used by athletes for 4 main reasons:

(1) Boosting GH levels - To do this, athletes take 10g of glutamine on an empty stomach upon waking.

(2) Accelerating muscle gylcogen synthesis - This is done by taking glutamine within 1 hour after severe exercise.

(3) Sparing glucose levels

(4) Off-setting overtraining syndrome - Glutamine plays a crucial role in the stimulation of intracellular protein synthesis if you are training hard. To get the full effect of this, you should be taking in at least 20g of glutamine per day.

During flu season, be sure to take even more glutamine to insure a well-functioning immune system.

It has also been noted that by super-supplementing glutamine, some athletes have reported breaking through training and hypertrophy plateaus by boosting glutamine intake to 60g - 80g per day.

This requires a dosing pattern of 10g upon waking, 5g every 3 hours, and 10g before bed.

It has been my experience that the cheaper brands of glutamine have an "off-taste" to them, while EAS and Twinlabs are taste-free.

MikeEdward
Fri, Mar-22-02, 21:38
Thanks for posting that again, even after searching, I still couldn't find it!

Trainer Dan, in your opinion, does this heavy Glutamine supplementation thing work? I want to try it, but Glutamine is really expensive - even for my taste - and I'm pretty liberal about spending money on supplements! I already use about 15-20 grams a day - it's great stuff, but 80 grams a day? Man...

Have you tried this approach? Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike

Trainerdan
Sat, Mar-23-02, 05:39
I tried like 70 grams per day, and I did get stronger ... And the pumps I got in the gym were so strong I felt like I was gonna rip out of my skin. Honestly, painful.

Drop me an e-mail ... trainerdan~quadrafit.com ... I'm a fellow supplement addict. LOL.