PDA

View Full Version : X-Factor/Ketogenics

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

beachbum
Tue, Mar-12-02, 03:20
:wave:
I'd be interested in hearing from anyone with comments on Leslie Kentons X-Factor book. I'm currently in the 4th day of the Ketogenics plan, which is basically the induction part.

I've been through horrendous headaches and dizziness which almost made me stop and give up, but they have eased today so I'll keep with it.

I'm in NZ BTW

:roll:

Bloom
Wed, Mar-13-02, 03:19
HI and welcome :D
I did see the book in the shops and had a lookie but it looked more fussy than Atkins from the little I saw. Did look extremily similar though, she sure has changed her tune from her other books :p
Glad you stuck it ouit though the first few days as they can often be very tuff. I suffered all the time from headaches before, sometimes they would last for 3 days at a time. Also weakness ,tiredness etc.
I expected to knocked for a 6 when i began Atkins but I was very lucky to feel better and better right from the start.
I have just begun my 4th week and have lost 15 pound (7 kg) :D
I have far more energy than ever before and feel happy and level headed too :cool:

Im interested to hear more about your program. How many grams of carbs have you started on?
Im still sticking to under 20 till I lose another 20 pound. Seem to average around 15 a day.
Im enjoying this WOE so much its not like a diet at all. :thup:

Hope your feeling high as a kite tomorrow :)
I live 40 mins north of Auckland on a farm.

beachbum
Wed, Mar-13-02, 03:56
Hi Bloom, :wave:

Thanks for the welcome.

Gee your weightloss is very impressive, I would be very pleased if I could do similar in 4 weeks. :thup:

It certainly is very easy to stick to this. I have found that my appitite has died since yesterday, and I found it hard to eat enough food today. I managed about 15grams carbs today but it was an effort, I would have been happy on half that. I've been averaging about 3-4 litres water a day. I'm normally a big water drinker so it's not a huge increase for me.

I got a response on the ketostix this morning as well, which is encouraging. The reading was "small". Do you use them?

The x-factor is very fussy I'll admit that. It's the first book I've read on lo-carbing, so I might try Atkins next. I need more education on the issue. I see a lot of people here use combination plans. If I'm to criticise the X-factor at all I think it's a bit limited in acceptable food choices. I might become bored. I do like Leslie Kentons explainations re the biology and chemistry of the lo-carb WOE it makes sense to me.

I intend to weigh in on Saturdays, I go to the electronic scale at the Chemist at Botony Downs (I live near there) and get the little printout with height and weight. I can't wait till Saturday to see the results. I do feel like I've lost, my pants are looser !

My sister has just started Weight Watchers, she is about 120kgs, but she thinks I'm crazy :rolleyes: for trying this WOE

Well, wish me luck for Saturday !

Bye
Debbie

Bloom
Wed, Mar-13-02, 13:52
Morning Debbie,
Ive read a few low carb books and like the Atkins and Protien Power the best. In PP you work out your lean body mass and the amount of protien you eat is determined by that. I am taking that into account even though I am doing Atkins.The less fussy and complicated it is the bettr though and Lesley K is also so into 'health' foods which is all very well but it could seem all too much to do all at once. Im finding I am eating way more healthy anyway with all the carbs gone and slowly Im sure that will move to a more and more healthy place as I feel better and better. (At the moment I am still like yum yum I can eat cream :lol but I can notice a slight shift occuring there to blah) When I gradually get bored I will up my carbs a little and add an occasional low carb fruit.
Are you 'allowed' any fruit at the mo?
cant say Im missing it. I deprived myself fat butter cheese mayonnaise so long it feels like such a treat :)

Ive tried WW and it worked (but not as well as this) but not for long cos I felt hungry alot of the time and you get sick of that with time.I would drem ablout eating and it did nothing to solve carb cravings, only made them worse! Everything is legal and I found it hard to stick to good choices when my body was screaming out for more carbs :(

Thats funny you should mention the scales at the malls cos i was thinking i'd do the same thing every time I see some. Havnt done so yet as i only get to such places on the odd occasion but Im sure they are spot on for accuracy and I think mine may be a few pounds heavy ;) :rolleyes:

My 17 yr old daughter has talked me into taking her to Botany downs a couple of times, an hours drive from here. We are omly 35 mins from West City and that is pretty swept up now.

I notice we are the same age (well Im a month older) and have very similar interests :)
I'll keep my eye on you if thats alright?

beachbum
Wed, Mar-13-02, 17:29
Morning, Bloom, :)

I might get the Atkins book next and have a read: if it is simpler and offers more options, I'd be interested. I'm not sick of what I'm eating at the moment, but in the long haul, I could see it going that way.

I'm not allowed any fruit, but eventually it allows strawberries, black/blue berries and watermelon and rockmelon, thats about it. I must admit I miss bananas and kiwis and stone fruit, I'm a bit fruit eater normally. Plus my 6 year old is a fruit bat and there's always fruit in the house, so the temptation's in front of me daily ! (along with the homemade cookies and muffins etc + yummies for school lunch boxes.) :wiggle:

I'm doing okay though.

Yes Botany is pretty swept up, I do my shopping there each Saturday, so a weigh in at the chemist is routine. It's good to have the little printout, I save them, so that when I reach goal weight, I can look back and have a stack of little print outs with a smaller weight (hopefully) each week !

I've heard many people say that WW is okay if you don't have a huge amount to loose, but if you do it's hard to stick with long term. My sister is about 125k and she really needs to loose as her health is suffering. Shes not interested in the lo carb way though. I don't want to discourage her from WW but I don't have a lot of confidence in it ! Its the sort of thing she'll have to find out for herself, perhaps if she see's my way has been successful and shes not having much luck she'll be inspired to change.

The best thing about this is that I can easily give up bread, potatoes, muffins, cakes etc, when this diet opens up the possibility to so many more yummy things that were previously taboo ! In the long term, I would rather go with out those starches, I don't miss them even now after such a short time.

Yes please keep an eye on me, it's nice to have a friend with so much in common ! and your not that far away !

Better get back to work now, Talk to you later

Debbie :wave:

Bloom
Thu, Mar-14-02, 01:39
Atkins is simple in the way you dont have to eat all organic foods which I undersatnd Lesley's XFactor stipulates?
You are not allowed any fruit on induction but can add low carb ones in after that much like your saying. I thought lesleys book was muchly just a take off Atkins with her added personal touch.

I think Bananas will always be something to beware of. Lots of those foods you mention and desire/crave at the moment are the natural things us carb addicts crave but Im confident your'll get over it just like I have and it wont take long either :D . Just make sure you dont have ANY! :p fruit never gave me pep in my step and just perpetuated my attachment to carbs.

Good luck for Saturday