PDA

View Full Version : Super Easy Broccoli Soup

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

thininBC
Fri, May-23-03, 14:27
2 cups coarsely chopped broccoli florets
1 can chicken broth
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup shredded medium cheddar
1/4 cup milk

Simmer broccoli, chicken broth, and chopped onion together until tender. Drain broccoli, reserving broth. Puree broccoli & onions in food processor until chunky smooth. Return broccoli to pan, mixing with broth until well blended. Add milk and cheese, heating till cheese is well blended.

I am not sure of the carb count, but most of the carbs come from the broccoli, so it can't be that bad :p .

suzzee2003
Wed, Jun-11-03, 14:55
This looks so delicious and easy and I love the easy part!!!
Thanks for posting this one! :)
I don't know what the carb count is either, I think you are right, it couldn't be too high!

STALLQUEEN
Thu, Jun-12-03, 11:33
Try using pureed cauliflower and some celery. when cooked pour all into blender and purree, add some heavey cream and voila,

this is how I make mine..

Maren Stoy
Sun, Sep-28-03, 16:49
Hi thininBC,

I was wondering if you could substitute heavy whipping cream for the milk? I bet you could. Anyway, your recipe sounds great and I can't wait until it gets a little colder to try it out.

Maren

Tue, Sep-30-03, 07:05
For a speedy, rich broccoli-cheese soup, cut stalks off a bunch of broccoli and divide the top into florets. Peel the stalks, cut into ½-inch chunks and cook in 2 cups of chicken broth until barely tender; add the florets and cook another 7 minutes, until tender. Remove from the heat and puree the solids with ½ cup of the broth in a blender (or puree with a stick blender in the pot). Return to the pot and stir in ¼ cup of cream and ½ cup of grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until the cheese melts.

Glenda
Sun, Oct-12-03, 09:13
I have done this several times over the last while, and it is sooooo good!! Yesterday I did some just with some leftover cooked broccoli. Makes a great hot lunch!!
Thanks!

Glenda

barbara50
Tue, Oct-14-03, 10:06
Thanks for the soup recipe. We are in the process of moving to a new house and all my recipes are boxed up. It turned cold overnight and I decided to make the soup but couldn't remember exactly the recipe. Computer will be last thing to be moved, I guess! BTW, since June I have lost 29 lbs and wearing clothes that I haven't worn in years. I think I'm losing inches as much as lbs. Am so proud of myself :roll:

lisam33
Fri, Oct-24-03, 14:57
I am going to try it. I dont like broccoli at all, but i love cheese soup and I am trying to learn to eat broccoli. Maybe if its small and very cheesy I will like it and learn to tolerate it otherwise. Its such a healthy veggie and I hate to miss out on it. How many servings is this?

VickiP
Thu, Nov-06-03, 20:06
Thanks 02184! I love Broccoli cheese soup... this is the best one yet.

Idabelle
Thu, Nov-06-03, 20:24
Thanks! I was just telling my daughter today that I would like to make some broccoli soup. Tomorrow I will plan to have it for lunch!!

marks
Sun, Nov-16-03, 19:07
I made this for Lunch today, and it was great!
Easy, too- I used a wand mixer, so it was a one-pot
meal.

Thanks for sharing.

Mark

pattie
Mon, Nov-17-03, 08:06
I was not feeling well today..felt I needed some soup..your soup hit the spot!Thanks for the recipe. I will use it agin ;)

Kristine
Tue, Dec-09-03, 14:57
This turned out pretty nicely. :thup:

2 cups (approx) chicken broth - the homemade full-fat kind is best
1 Tbsp chopped onion
2 small bunches of broccoli (or 1 large, or frozen equiv.)
2 cups kale (about 4 leaves worth)
1/4 cup heavy cream, or to taste
cheddar cheese

- cook onion in a bit of butter
- add broth, bring to boil
- add broccoli, cook until soft
- finely chop kale while broccoli cooks
- allow broccoli and broth to cool breifly, then puree
- return to heat, add kale
- add water if too thick
- simmer 10 min
- add cream to taste
- serve with shredded cheddar cheese

For 1/4 of the recipe, with 1/2 oz shredded cheddar: 6 total - 2 fiber = 4 EC
...and check out *these* numbers: 135% of your RDA for vitamin C, 56% vit A, 14% vit E, 18% calcium, 15% riboflavin, the list goes on. :cool:

I assumed 2 cups each of kale and broccoli in the recipe.

MyJourney
Wed, Dec-17-03, 11:40
I havent tried this yet but got this recipe off a foreign magazine.
I did my best to translate it
either way it sounds good and if you make it and find the quantities need adjusting please let me know.

*I am not sure if they meant heavy cream or sour cream since they just said cream for cooking. Heavy cream is normally known as sweet cream and sour cream as just cream but they are the same word. I assumed heavy cream but sour cream might be interesting too.

There is also 2Tbsp of flour thats supposed to be added to this recipe. I just skipped it.

1 bunch of broccoli flowerettes
3/4 stick of butter
3Tbsp Olive oil
2 finely chopped onions
4 cloves of garlic
5 zucchinis sliced with the peel still on
1 celery root
5-6 cups of Veg broth
1c milk (I counted it as carb coundown in my fitday)
1c Heavy cream*
8Tbsp Parmesan cheese (or to taste)

Boil the broccoli for 10 minutes then remove.
In a heavy pot add the butter and oil
fry onions and garlic for 5 minutes then add the zucchini, celery root, broccoli salt and pepper (and flour)
add broth and simmer for 45 minutes
Using a hand blender mush it all together then add milk and cream mixing it.
Top with parmesan cheese in bowl.

Makes 8 servings
Total info
2400 calories
215 Fat
73 Carbs
23 fiber
67 Protein

Per serving
300 calories
27 Fat
9 Carbs
3 fiber
8 Protein

6g Net Carbs

Nancye
Tue, Dec-30-03, 20:13
Oh boy I'm just fanging out to try this Broccoli soup today, it sounds yummo!!

Thanks for sharing recipes...

Nancye...

YukonSun
Wed, Dec-31-03, 15:08
5 star rating for this soup. I used more broccoli and just added stock/cream to my desired consistancy. And more cheese of course =)
I also used the wand mixer, gotta love one-pot dishes.

delilah
Mon, Jan-26-04, 23:26
Mmmm... just made this. added a bit of salt and pepper to it, too. Love how easy it was and now I can get my carbs in with something besides salad and fried brussel sprouts!

Thanks!

Princess72
Wed, Apr-21-04, 17:04
This recipe saved me today. I just made it for dinner and it was absolutely wonderful. Especially for me. I got my tongue pierced on Sunday and have not been able to eat real food since. This soup was just perfect and yummy. I am also on atkins so I have survived the past 3 days on low carb protein shakes, low carb yogurt, low carb smoothies, and low carb ice cream. I really needed something of substance and something different. Was getting really bored. But I've lost 6 pounds!!! :) :) Well thanks again!!!

BlitzedAng
Wed, Apr-28-04, 18:08
I added a lil chicken breast and some left over beef to it for a hearty meal :)

Squintz
Thu, Apr-29-04, 11:14
About how many carbs does this soup have? I have not made it yet but it sounds good. Does brocolli have carbs? Which ingredients do i need to look out for when checking for carbs?

Kristine
Sat, May-01-04, 12:59
Mmm... this was yummy! I'm not a big broccoli fan, but who can resist cheese soup? I threw in an ounce or two of cream cheese, for the heck of it. :cool:

Cicero
Sun, May-02-04, 13:56
I made this on a whim today and it turned out marvelously.

Ingredients:

2 cups broccoli florets chopped
4 ounces cheddar cheese shredded
4 pints of Dean's Heavy Cream (Deans has no carbs)
6 slices precooked bacon (make sure it isn't cured with sugar I found some on Tuesday that did and had to throw it out)
one half cup of onions
white pepper
black pepper
salt
dash of paprika (for coloring)
2 tablespoons of butter

saute the onions in butter until tranluscent
add the broccoli and saute for another 3-4 minutes
pour in a half cup of cold water (keeps the cream from scalding when you first pour it in)
Immediately pour in the cream, stir and add white pepper, black pepper, salt and a dash of paprika. Drop in bits of the shredded cheddar cheese and allow them to melt before adding the next bit to avoid clumping. Simmer on low heat for 10 minutes. Stir often to avoid scorching. Serve with plain pork rinds as a substitute for crackers.

19 net carbs in the soup if you use 0 carb heavy cream. I seperated out 4 servings coming in at approx. 4 carbs each. I ate one and the other two are in the freezer for next week.

adnama52
Sun, May-02-04, 17:36
wanted something quick for super and noticed the cream of brocoli soup, adjusted it. Opened a can of asparagus, took out 1/2 of the spears, mashed them with fork, put in sauce pan, added some butter, real cream, low carb milk, salt & pepper and a little cheddar cheese. cooked on low/med heat stirring till small bubbles. let cool, and now I will eat my asparagus soup. :p

Squintz
Mon, May-03-04, 05:17
I made this last night. The taste is great. The texture was a little weird for me. Next time i will only chop up the broccoli and not pure it. It kinda felt like a sandy texture. I like to bite into the peices. Thanx!

relliott1
Mon, May-10-04, 19:31
I am a throw-it-together kind of gal, so I am guessing at the measurements. I made this tonight and it was DELICIOUS! Even the kids were asking for more :D

1 can chicken broth
16 oz shredded cheese (about 4 cups)
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup sour cream
1-2 cups broccoli flowerets

Heat broth and cheese on low heat until cheese is melted. Add heavy cream and sour cream, stirring frequently. Increase heat to medium low, until bubbles begin to form on the top of the soup. Add broccoli flowerets. Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes, or until broccoli is tender. Check frequently to avoid boiling over. Makes about 6 servings.

I don't have the exact carb count on this, sorry. I lost my recipe software when I upgraded to a new computer.

missymagoo
Sun, May-16-04, 21:24
this sounds really good. i am going to have to make this one. sue

missymagoo
Sun, May-16-04, 21:25
how many carbs a servings and how is a serving 1 half cup? sue

ManOnMoon
Tue, Jun-08-04, 17:34
Not enough can be said for this soup. I shred a chicken breat with the brocolli. Really makes this a hearty soup. GREAT JOB.

Bread Who?
Mon, Jun-21-04, 13:42
OMG, this is GREAT. BC soup is one of my favorite soups. thanks for finding a way for me to fit it into my diet!

IslandGirl
Thu, Jun-24-04, 14:36
...4 pints of Dean's Heavy Cream (Deans has no carbs)...
Note that all heavy cream has carbs, approximately 6g carbs (lactose) per Cup or 8 Fluid Oz, so 0.375g per Tablespoon. So it's 12 to 15g carbs per Pint depending on American or Imperial/UK Pint...

It's 'technically' only zero grams carbs per serving if the Serving Size is small enough (e.g., a Tablespoon or 15mL) to have less than 0.5g carbs (e.g., 0.375g).

So you need to add between 12 and 15 grams carb to your recipe for the cream alone, depending on what size pint you have.

meowmisu
Tue, Aug-03-04, 16:39
I made something simlar tonight, very yummy- although i cut the cream in half and replaced it with carb countdown milk. Try adding a clove of fresh garlic minced and some cayenne. it was so yummy.

Change13vt
Fri, Dec-31-04, 13:25
How big of a can of chicken broth??This sounds great....

missymagoo
Fri, Dec-31-04, 14:48
i am going to try my low carb diet - again- starting jan/01/05 . i have gaIN about 20 lbs back and i feel it too. i do not want to gain any more weight back ! i think this soup will be good to start with. sue

ICanDoThis
Wed, Jan-05-05, 11:45
Okay, I finally went and broke this down. The only substitution I did was cream cheese for sour cream, since I didn't have any SC left.
TOTAL Per Serv
Cals 3001 500
Fat 262 44
Sat Fat 164 27
Poly Fat 9 2
Mono Fat 75 13
Carbs 31 5
Fiber 9 2
Prot 140 23

This is my new favorite meal! Thanks for the recipe!

chmerasfyr
Thu, Jan-27-05, 11:28
1 can chicken broth
16 oz shredded cheese (about 4 cups)
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup sour cream
1-2 cups broccoli flowerets

Heat broth and cheese on low heat until cheese is melted. Add heavy cream and sour cream, stirring frequently. Increase heat to medium low, until bubbles begin to form on the top of the soup. Add broccoli flowerets. Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes, or until broccoli is tender. Check frequently to avoid boiling over. Makes about 6 servings.

can i use this in the phase 1 of atkins???????

sassystick
Fri, Jun-17-05, 00:42
I made this for lunch and used cabbage instead. I didnt blend it either but it was sooo good. this is a recipe ill be making more often.

zorra_1
Wed, Jun-29-05, 08:23
This sounds yummy. I've been looking for an alternative to Au Bon Pain's Broccoli Cheddar soup!

scott9050
Tue, Dec-06-05, 21:07
My wife and I just made this soup and it is incredible, I am eating a bowl right now. I will be remembering and utilizing this one regularly in the future.

jeanmarie
Wed, Mar-07-07, 06:18
Hello!
Thanks for the recipe! Can this be reheated or will it then separate?

Jean

ManOnMoon
Wed, Mar-07-07, 06:27
I'm 90% sure it re-heats fine. I THINK I've had left overs before, lol

jeanmarie
Wed, Mar-07-07, 06:31
Wow!
Quick responce! Thanks! I am not sure if I WILL have leftovers!
Have a great day!

Ptrcmcc6
Tue, Apr-17-07, 16:36
This soup is delicious!! I'm going to try it with cauliflower next time.

msdbobby
Tue, Apr-17-07, 16:40
I saved this thread awhile back and have made it quite a few times...so good and super easy.

This soup is delicious!! I'm going to try it with cauliflower next time :idea:
Yum, thanks for the idea. I don't have any broccoli right now so I'm going to try it w/ cauli tonight.

Some1Sweet
Thu, Apr-19-07, 21:49
saving this recipe and trying it this weekend it sounds good

Diets Suck
Tue, May-08-07, 19:27
I LOVE BROC-CHEESE soup and I cannot wait to try this recipe. Thanks for this great, healthy addition.

lola1133
Mon, May-21-07, 16:31
Made this soup tonight for dinner and my granddaughter couldn't get enough! This is a keeper for sure-some good,pure comfort food, warms the soul...... Thanks for the recipe!

photogirl
Sat, Jun-02-07, 09:52
Anyone know how many carbs this soup may have per serving/how many servings does it make? I would really love to try this soup out! I haven't had broccoli cheese soup since I was a kid! And it was soo good then so I'd love to try it and hopefully I'll just love it! (If it's not to many carbs of course) haha

Thanks in advance if anyone knows!
~Lisa~

leeseinmt
Mon, Jun-04-07, 19:18
I've not made this yet, but here's relevant nutritional info:

Entire Recipe:
491 calories
41.5 g fat
1156mg sodium
9g carbs
4.5g fiber
22.5g protein

Assumptions 1 cup chopped broccoli and low-sodium chix broth

deniselisa
Mon, Jul-16-07, 14:45
This soup is so good, even my 13 year old daughter liked it. I used home made chicken broth that I had frozen. Again, just delicious!

lola1133
Wed, Jul-18-07, 06:09
This recipe is great! Made it last night for dinner and it surely hit the spot-will probably add some chicken next time too-thanks for the recipe!

alsmez
Sun, Mar-09-08, 13:33
I created this recipe for BF when he had his wisdom teeth out - it's delicious and to quote BF - "better than Panera!"

1 head cauliflower, chopped small (or one 20 oz bag frozen cauliflower)
2 c. broccoli, steamed until soft and chopped finely
3 cloves garlic
1 can chicken broth
1/2 c. heavy cream
3 oz. cream cheese
2T. sour cream
6 oz. cheddar cheese
2 oz. velveeta or american cheese (optional)

Place cauliflower and garlic in large pot of water, bring to boil and cook until very soft. Drain water, add cream cheese and puree cauliflower/cream cheese/garlic mixture with an immersion blender, adding stock/cream gradually (you may need more or less stock/cream depending on desired texture). Return to heat and add broccoli, cheddar and velveeta (if using) and stir until melted. Add sour cream and stir until melted (do not boil). Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.

With the 20 oz bag of frozen cauli and the other ingredients as listed (approximately), this whole recipe has about 45 grams of carbohydrate, almost half of which is fiber. It makes about 8-9 cups, or 3 large bowls (4 normal sized bowls). The velveeta is totally optional but I like the texture it lends to the finished product. You could also omit the sour cream, but I like the tang. Enjoy!

zorra_1
Tue, Mar-11-08, 16:43
Mmmm mmm! Just what I was looking for <Bought a 4 pound bag of broccoli florets and I need to use them up!>

lccitygirl
Wed, Apr-16-08, 09:42
If it's better than Panera, I'm gonna have to try this one! Thanks!

scott9050
Thu, Jul-10-08, 07:11
I'm showing my daughter this recipe now. It is without a doubt the best broccoli cheese soup I have ever had, and I wanted to share with her.

Lmda99
Fri, Oct-24-08, 18:49
Mhmm... I made this today. Very good.

Kisal
Fri, Oct-24-08, 19:14
It looks really yummy! I think I'll make it this weekend! :yum: :yum: :yum:

feelskinny
Fri, Oct-24-08, 19:32
I think soup-season is upon us.
Thanks for posting, looks nummy!

gweny70
Thu, Nov-06-08, 10:41
Hmmm...ok trying this SOON! Soup season is definitely here!!

gweny70
Thu, Nov-06-08, 13:52
Oh wow...another great soup recipe. Can't wait to try this one also.

renie
Wed, Nov-19-08, 13:49
this is really excellent. I think panera bread all together is overrated but this soup hits the spot. I think it would be tasty with some ham too!

AndieLyn
Wed, Nov-19-08, 13:50
Sounds delicious! I'll have to try!!!!

ICanDoThis
Thu, Jan-07-10, 14:06
I cobbled together this recipe today. It's so yum!

Ingredients:
24 ounces of Broccoli/Cauliflower mix (I used a 12oz bag of each)
4 celery sticks, chopped
Water
6-8 oz heavy cream
8-10 oz cheddar cheese (I used shredded)

Add veggies to a pan and cover with water.
Bring to a boil and cook 15 mins.
Turn to medium heat.
Pour out half the water.
OPTIONAL: Take a stick blender or hand masher and mash 2/3 of the veggies into a thick pulp. This will help your soup stay thick.
Add cream, cheddar cheese and salt/pepper to taste.
Cook just until cheese is melted and serve! I add either a small amount of cheese or sour cream on top.
(If its too thick, just add a bit of water.)

Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Info per serving:
238 calories
9.71 g protein
5.60 g carbs
2.70 g fiber
216 mg sodium
71 mg cholesterol

kimmie67
Fri, Jan-08-10, 07:29
OMG, I fixed this last night...I'm still drooling. I omitted the celery and added some crumbled bacon...to die for! Thanks for the receipe.

Gypsybyrd
Fri, Jan-08-10, 08:13
Will it freeze?

ICanDoThis
Fri, Jan-08-10, 11:21
We didn't make it to freezing (eating the last bowl of it now :) ) but I can't see why it wouldn't. It heats up nicely as well.

The bacon additional sounds wonderful.

Gypsybyrd
Fri, Jan-08-10, 18:10
The taste is pretty good but mine was too watery - and I dumped about 3/4 of the water out. I'll try again with even less water.

ICanDoThis
Wed, Jan-13-10, 10:13
Blending up part of the veggies makes the sauce thicken nicely. Might try that.

serrelind
Sat, Jan-16-10, 08:55
I just made this. I used 2 bags of veggies (broc and cauliflower), added chicken broth to the water. I also poured out more than half of the water afterward. Used half a stick of butter. Since I didn't have a lot of cheddar cheese, I used half shredded cheddar and half shredded mozzarella, heavy cream, bacon. It came out smooth, creamy, rich. VERY good!!! I can see myself making this on a regular basis. Thank you so much!

ICanDoThis
Sun, Jan-24-10, 20:16
it is a delicious creamy soup. I don't add the chicken stock because my dd is a vegetarian and this is actually a soup the whole family will eat.

gweny70
Wed, Jan-04-12, 11:35
Sounds yummy! Definitely trying this soon. This cold weather makes me want lots of soup!!

gweny70
Wed, Jan-04-12, 11:38
Still need to try this!

gweny70
Thu, Jan-26-12, 09:50
FINALLY made this last night..added some crumbled bacon too. Lemme tell ya--this was so SO good!! Wish I would have made it sooner!

katyw8y
Thu, Jan-26-12, 10:00
ooooohhh I am going to try this very soon...the bacon added sounds very Yummy!

singlenana
Sun, Jan-29-12, 10:42
I made this soup today. It is awesome! Tastes great! Can't wait to try some more recipes. Thanks.

PghLady74
Sun, Apr-22-12, 09:53
It's the end of April and not typically soup season, but we are expecting 2-4" of snow tomorrow and I am craving this soup!! Gweny I think it's hysterical that you waited 3 years to try it! I will be taking the suggestion of adding bacon to it!!

triplemom
Tue, Oct-02-12, 15:21
This is EXACTLY what I was looking for! I was trying to figure out how to make creamy thick broccoli cheese soup and this is the ticket! I would have never dreamed of using pureed cauliflower for the thickener. I'm microwaving some bacon right now to crumble over the top. Perfect for a cool rainy day!

DaddioM
Tue, Oct-16-12, 17:17
Does this freeze ok for leftovers?

gweny70
Wed, Oct-17-12, 06:28
Does this freeze ok for leftovers?

I wish I knew but it never made it to the freezer. :) :) :)

denky01
Wed, Oct-17-12, 15:26
I will have to try this soon.

Idealist77
Wed, Jul-17-13, 17:22
Love this recipe!!! Thanks for sharing!

ICanDoThis
Thu, Jan-30-14, 12:38
It's time I made this again. Drooling now.

Kirsteen
Tue, Apr-22-14, 09:00
Large leek
Heads of broccoli
2 garlic cloves
2 stock cubes (we used beef) or bone broth/stock.
coconut or other oil for frying

Wash and roughly chop veggies, lightly fry them, then cover with boiling water and stock cubes. Cover and simmer for about 15 mins, until the broccoli is cooked. Whiz it up and serve.

ojoj
Thu, Jun-09-16, 05:28
I make something vaguely similar. Every now and again, I just get all the old (low carb) veggies out of my fridge, boil them up together with a knob of butter, add cheese and then liquidise them.

Jo xxx