PDA

View Full Version : Waldens Farms - anyone tasted this?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Armina
Sat, Mar-08-08, 17:22
I bought the Walden's Farms Sweet Onion Salad Dressing. The label says no sugar, no carbs - how do they do this? It's very good.

However, I then bought Walden's Farms Marshmallow dip and Caramel Dip (both also say no sugar, no carbs). The marshmallow was... ok. Kinda tasted odd. But the Caramel was AWFUL. It did not taste like caramel. It had a terrible after taste. It was disgusting!

I've had their maple syrup and it isn't terribly sweet and has more thickness to it than other sugarfree syrups - I liked it.

Has anyone tried other of their foods? After the caramel, I'm afraid to try the chocolate. ;\
Has anyone used it or other waldens farms foods?

cnmLisa
Sat, Mar-08-08, 17:31
I'm not a huge Walden's fan. I think ALL there products taste heavily of chemicals. Bllech! I'd just rather make my own salad dressing or do without. To me it's all about the taste. But that's just my opinion. There are many people on the forum who really like their products.

Kisal
Sat, Mar-08-08, 19:25
I agree with Lisa. I spent a lot of money trying all the Walden Farms products. The only ones that I can stand the taste of are the strawberry syrup and blueberry syrup. Some people don't even care for those. I guess it's all a YMMV situation.

MizKitty
Sat, Mar-08-08, 20:45
I like the Walden Farms pancake and strawberry syrups.
The marshmallow and caramel weren't too bad but I probably won't repeat buying them - i liked them mixed into plain greek yogurt.

One way I use the salad dressings is to mix them equal parts with full fat dressings. The WF cuts the calories in half (I have to watch calories) and the blend gets good taste from the full fat half.

I do that with the BBQ sauce, too.

lowjax
Sat, Mar-08-08, 20:45
We just bought the Honey Barbeque sauce tonight and I will be trying it shortly on some burgers. I'll let you know how it tastes.

Update - It tastes pretty good. I really like it. A bit of a different aftertaste, but when you have a garlicy/oniony burger like I do, you don't notice it at all. It's a keeper for us. :yum:

ncgirl2
Sat, Mar-08-08, 22:43
I actually like the caramel and marshmallow dips, and the chocolate syrup. And some of the jams....not the real thing (and I suppose the caramel is more like a brown sugar, like someone on another forum said!), but for little/no calories...I enjoy having them around!

Armina
Sun, Mar-09-08, 07:17
ewwww the memoryof the caramel makes me shudder.

Kisal
Sun, Mar-09-08, 14:48
ewwww the memoryof the caramel makes me shudder.Me, too! That was the first one to hit the garbage can at my house! One taste was all it took! :lol: The marshmallow was the second. It only took one taste for that to bite the dust, too! :lol:

2bflawless
Mon, Mar-10-08, 13:24
I love the chocolate and the pancake syrup...yummy with rev roll french toast plus it was nice to have something different them my usually bacon and eggs. I also tried the chocolate dip..not so yummy. I have Strawberry and the WF jams...pretty good. Nice for something different.

ElleH
Mon, Mar-10-08, 13:58
What were you eating the caramel with that made it so bad? I agree it's pretty bad off the spoon, but drizzled on whipped cream or a 3 minute chocolate chake or a chocolate molten cake or swirled with the chocolate sauce over some pecans (my version of a turtle), it's yummy. At least I think so! :lol:

Kisal
Mon, Mar-10-08, 18:28
I tried it with heavy cream, and even spread a little on top of some cream cheese chocolate fudge that I make. But to me, no matter what I did, it always had an awful metallic aftertaste. :p

ElleH
Tue, Mar-11-08, 13:33
I definitely get that if I eat too much of it or eat it alone.

lcgrrl2006
Tue, Mar-11-08, 13:53
I put the chocolate sauce with strawberry sauce on my chocolate mock danish. Hot, melty, sinfully good to me...

Armina
Tue, Mar-11-08, 20:44
Well, I didn't give up on it.
I softened up a little cream cheese and mixed the marshmallow with it and it was good. Funny that it would taste good mixed with the cream cheese, but not alone.
Tried with the caramel but it wasn't as good. Much better than alone, but I wouldn't get it again, but I would get the marshmallow again.
Also, putting it in the fridge seemed to make it taste better too.
Weird, eh?

LessLiz
Tue, Mar-11-08, 21:11
My standard dessert is 150 cals worth of whipped cream drizzled with their chocolate sauce. It's way to sweet on its own, but I really love it this way. On a splurge night I'll sprinkle on some sliced almonds.

I'd rather die than eat their salad dressings or the marshmallow or caramel stuff. BLECHHH!

Aynot
Sun, Mar-16-08, 13:07
I've only tried a couple salad dressings and the BBQ sauce. I didn't like any of them. The salad dressings smelled like turpentine when I opened them...and the BBQ sauce was like water....the taste was...umm...ok I spose, but not worth eating for me. I tried to BBQ some chicken on the grill with it.....lol....it was amusing for me to say the least. I didn't have much flavor and just stained the meat a purpleish type color.

I have heard a lot of people rave about them though......just not me.

pdxcutie
Tue, Aug-05-08, 18:27
I had the Ranch Dressing and almost vomitted it back up, it was so gross. I have also tried the pancake syrup and I do like that since it is thick. I am surprised this company targets LC but doesn't take the time to actually give it an authentic taste. WF products overall have been a waste of money.