PDA

View Full Version : Carbs, Ethnicity and Heart Disease

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

amandawald
Sun, Mar-02-08, 12:35
Found this article today and had to post it here. It tells the reader how South Asian immigrants in Canada are succumbing to severe heart disease at an alarming rate and at alarmingly young ages.

The people who have noted this seem fairly clueless as to the causes (their "brown" skins???), but anybody familiar with Malcolm Kendrick's book, "The Cholesterol Con" (no relative of Colpo's book, just the same title), will recognize something: that the stress caused by dislocation - in this case moving to a completely new continent - can trigger heart disease.

Diet, in this case, is only mentioned briefly: they eat a high-carb diet but not too many fruit and veg (which is not how I know Indian cuisine, but there you go). But, seeing as we all know that it is saturated fat which causes heart disease, this aspect is glossed over - how convenient! Everybody jumps up and down to blame saturated fat, but in this case, something else pops up, but that doesn't fit into the diet-heart hypothesis, so it has to be ignored!

Funnily enough, I had planned to eat "Indian style" a couple of years ago when I thought I needed to lower my cholesterol levels, because when I looked on the web for food that would do it, I thought, gosh, that sounds like Indian food. I then googled 'Indian' and 'heart disease', expecting to find that Indians had low rates of heart disease and stumbled across an article like this instead. I ended up with low carb instead!

And another funny thing about the Indian diet is that it used to contain plenty of saturated fat in the form of "ghee", which is clarified butter. However, in the last few decades many Indians have started to cook with vegetable oil because, amongst other things, they believed it was healthier. In fact, it is highly likely that that it was the ghee that used to give them protection from heart disease! And, now?

Well, read the article and see for yourself. It is a crying shame what is happening to these ambitious young immigrants.

amandawood

UNDER THE KNIFE

South Asians face increased heart risk
http://www.thestar.com/article/308317
VIDEO: Triple Bypass
AARON LYNETT/TORONTO STAR
Feb. 12, 12:58 p.m.: Dr. Subodh Verma checks up on Ashok Verma in the intensive care unit in the minutes following his cardiac operation. Email story

Ashok Verma thought he was healthy. Yet at 39 his clogged heart vessels resembled those of a 75-year-old overweight white male. Why are otherwise health-conscious South Asians more vulnerable to heart disease than other ethnic groups?

Mar 01, 2008 04:30 AM
Megan Ogilvie
Health Reporter

Ashok Verma never expected to be strapped to an operating table, with his chest cracked open and his beating heart in the hands of a surgeon.

If it were any other Tuesday morning, the active 39-year-old would be bundling his two young sons off to school before rushing to work in Brampton.

But, as for so many other South Asians, open-heart surgery is the only thing that will keep him alive past middle age.

His cardiac surgeon has spent the last hour readying his heart for a triple bypass – sawing his sternum down the middle, teasing the left mammary artery away from his chest, and cutting open the peritoneum with a sizzling cauterizer to reveal the fist-sized heart, slowly, steadily, beating.

Now, Dr. Subodh Verma peers into Ashok's open chest and points at pencil-thin arteries snaking over the heart.

"There are blockages here and here and here and here," he says, shaking his head. "There's diffuse plaque all through the heart. This is the most aggressive atherosclerosis I've seen in such a young patient."

Ashok's heart, though housed in a seemingly healthy 39-year-old body, is actually closer in age to that of an overweight septuagenarian. Many of his arteries are dangerously blocked, preventing blood from reaching parts of his heart. And the organ itself is covered with a slick of fat, as though it has been dunked in sticky yellow paint.

For Verma, a cardiac surgeon at St. Michael's Hospital and no relation to Ashok, this is an all too common sight.

South Asians, more than any other ethnic group, are at risk of dying from a heart attack at an early age. A massive international study, led by researchers at McMaster University and published last year in the Journal of the American Medical Association, has found people native to India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal and Sri Lanka can die from heart disease five to 10 years earlier than those from other ethnic groups. Most startling, this statistic holds true even when South Asians appear to be at a healthy weight.

Researchers now believe that just being South Asian may be an independent risk factor for heart disease, and there is increasing evidence that traditional risk factors, including obesity, high blood pressure, elevated cholesterol levels and diabetes, attack the cardiovascular system more aggressively in this population.

With more than one million people of South Asian descent in Canada – and with South Asians making up the fastest growing community in Toronto – understanding what makes them at elevated risk, and how to best prevent and treat risk factors, is crucial to preserve lives.

Experts know the interplay of genes with environment imparts increased risk, and a common phrase scientists use is, "Genes load the gun and environment pulls the trigger." But just how much, and by what mechanisms, a person's genetic make-up is influenced by their lifestyle – their eating habits, their propensity for physical activity, their nicotine addiction – is not yet known.

In recent years, Verma has watched a steady stream of young South Asian patients wheeled into his operating room. And he often sees the same thing when he cuts open their chests: smaller than average blood vessels, blockages spread throughout heart vessels and thick globs of fat coating the organ.

Many of these patients are lucky; their disease has been caught in time. Others, who go for months or years without their symptoms being diagnosed, will die before they reach the operating table. Studies have shown the first symptom of heart disease for between 35 and 50 per cent of people will be a fatal heart attack.

But since heart disease can largely be prevented and treated, Verma and other cardiology experts say there is room to raise awareness and to take action in both the research and the health-care communities – and by South Asian patients themselves.

"High blood pressure or diabetes may age a South Asian's cardiovascular system much faster," says Verma, who also holds a Canada Research Chair in atherosclerosis. "But if (South Asian) patients are diagnosed earlier and managed earlier, we may be able to offset the problems before the first presentation of symptoms is a fatal heart attack."

ashok considers himself one of the lucky patients. His wife, Renu, talks about his bypass as a "second chance," something that few people get.

The first signs started last summer: a chest pain here and there, some shortness of breath after playing with his two sons, Akash, 10, and Akshay, 8, in the yard. At first, Ashok attributed the sharp twinges to muscle aches from overexerting himself. Heart disease, he recalls, never even crossed his mind.

It was only after three months of feeling ill that Ashok went to his family doctor. That's where he first heard he had heart disease.

"We were shocked," Ashok says. "It was something you didn't expect. It would be different if you are a lazy person, but I don't have time to even sit on the couch. I'm always running around."

The conundrum with Ashok, and others like him, is that he appears to be healthy, says Verma.

Ashok does not smoke, most days he eats well, and he keeps relatively active. Neither of his parents have a history of heart disease. And his only health problem is type 2 diabetes, something that was diagnosed eight years ago and which Ashok says he has kept under control since.

Diabetes, a well-known risk factor for heart disease, may have helped to accelerate the buildup of plaque in his coronary arteries. But if he were a white man of similar age and size with the same lifestyle characteristics, Verma says Ashok may not have needed a triple bypass operation at this young age.

"We are working in the area of finding reasons why being brown, for lack of a better word, imparts in an otherwise healthy person, like Ashok, who works out, who has a healthy lifestyle, and who at a young age is diagnosed with this devastating problem."

The same yellow fat that hugs Ashok's heart also surrounds his other organs. This abdominal, or visceral fat, is much more active – and dangerous – than the fat found under your skin. It acts like a furnace to produce toxic fumes in the body, decreasing insulin sensitivity, reducing good cholesterol levels and raising blood pressure, all of which are risk factors for heart disease.

Sonia Anand, an associate professor of medicine at McMaster University and an international expert on the links between ethnicity and heart disease and diabetes, says South Asians are more likely to get visceral fat than any other ethnic group, even if they eat and exercise the same. People of South Asian descent are also more apt to have the same array of risk factors for heart disease as Caucasians, but at about 45 pounds lighter, she says.

It's not yet known what causes South Asians to accumulate more visceral fat, but Anand says research groups from around the world are trying to home in on the precise biological mechanisms. Although diet likely plays a role – South Asians tend to eat a diet high in carbohydrates, and low in fruits and vegetables, which can affect blood sugar levels – along with a general lack of physical activity, their genes are also a factor.

Experts say we are just beginning to untangle the complexities of the ethnic origins of disease. And though multiple predictions and hypotheses are being attacked around the world, scientists all agree that research in the field has to speed up.

Last month, the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Ontario announced it will dedicate $700,000 to ethnic-specific research in the form of $50,000 two-year grants. The foundation is also investing $150,000 to develop specific cardiovascular risk profiles of South Asian and Chinese Canadians that will help create ethnic-specific health promotion initiatives.

"We can't meet our mission of eliminating heart disease and stroke unless we meet the needs of the population, and that means meeting the needs of ethnic groups that have a very distinctive cardiovascular profile," says Marco Di Buono, the foundation's director of research.

Right now, many of the guidelines physicians use to prevent and treat heart disease come from the Framingham Heart Study, a 60-year trial undertaken by the U.S. National Institute of Health to investigate the causes of cardiovascular disease. Named for the town in Massachusetts where the study takes place, the majority of its subjects are white and most are men.

Di Buono says the study has provided groundbreaking results in predicting an individual's risk for heart disease. But, he adds, in today's society it does not go far enough.

"It's imperative that we don't just use a reference group of white men to figure out how to treat, prevent and eliminate heart disease and stroke in a diverse population."

Dr. Milan Gupta, a cardiologist at William Osler Health Centre, says upwards of 40 per cent of the Brampton hospital's heart patients are South Asian, a much larger proportion than one would expect from the patient catchment area.

The first step to reduce this number is to raise awareness in the community, says Gupta, who is also an assistant professor at McMaster University. Not enough South Asians know they are at increased risk of heart disease or know the signs of a heart attack, he says.

On top of that, one of Gupta's studies of heart patients in Brampton and Scarborough found South Asians in the throes of a heart attack went to the emergency room a full hour later than white patients, which meant their heart muscle was more likely to suffer permanent damage from the attack.

"Time is muscle, because the sooner you get to us in the setting of a heart attack, the higher the likelihood of survival," says Gupta, adding that it was not clear why South Asians delayed going to the ER.

back in the operating room, Ashok's heart has been stopped for more than one hour. Only the steady swish of the heart-lung machine has kept blood swirling through his body and his vital organs alive.

In the final stage of the bypass, Verma is attaching a harvested vein to a two-millimetre hole in Ashok's immobile heart.

"This is his entire life right here," he says. "This vessel, this is everything for him and his family and his future."

His green-gloved hands pull suture as fine as baby hair through the tiny lip of vein. It is a tense moment: "Give me two minutes of silence in the room, please."

Minutes later, Ashok's heart is beating again – brought back to life by a quick jolt of electricity – and the steady beep beep beep of the monitors fill the room. All seems to be well.

Verma and his assistant, another cardiac surgeon, lace up Ashok's chest with 10 stainless steel wires, each as thick as the nib of a pen, by hooking them deep under each edge of his split sternum bone. When the wires are in place, the pair yank his chest closed with the same force used to tie a stiff hockey skate.

Ashok will rest in hospital for five days before being allowed to go home.

But his recovery does not stop here. Bypasses are meant to only last 15 to 20 years. Ashok will have to work hard to preserve his new veins and arteries and keep his heart muscle healthy.

And the rest of his family – his mother, father, his two brothers and his two sons – will all have to be screened for the deadly disease.

M Levac
Sun, Mar-02-08, 13:36
Thanks Amanda.

In the link below, we can get a better idea of what's happening in the situations depicted in the article above.

Weston Price's Nutrition and Physical Degeneration (1939)

http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library/price/pricetoc.html

Basically, once isolated populations get in contact with modern, processed and highly refined foods, those populations' general health quickly degenerate. They lose their natural immunities, become ill and die of those illnesses. It's all about the diet and its effects on our metabolism.

Rachel1
Sun, Mar-02-08, 16:52
I love Indian food. However, much of the diet is very unhealthy - high refined carb and high fat - the worst combination, as we know. Those who are vegetarian are most at risk, I think. If anyone knows better, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a typical meal would consist of veggies (good), beans (OK), white rice (bad), whole wheat chapatti or white naan (bad), some sort of deep-fried battered veggie (bad), sugared, milky, spiced tea (bad), and a VERY sugary and/or starchy dessert (VERY bad). Many Indian vegetarians don't eat eggs, either, so apart from some dairy in the form of milk and paneer (cheese - yummy), the diet is low in protein, too. Older Indian women, in particular, tend to be quite overweight, the ones I see, anyway.

And that's on top of whatever stresses immigrants face - Yikes!

I don't mean to imply anything negative about Indians specifically or immigrants in general - just about the health consequences of a starchy, fatty diet - the same consequences the Standard American Diet tends to lead to. Interesting that one tends to be vegetarian, the other not - both both pose similar problems to health.

Rachel

M Levac
Sun, Mar-02-08, 17:07
I love Indian food. However, much of the diet is very unhealthy - high refined carb and high fat - the worst combination, as we know. Those who are vegetarian are most at risk, I think. If anyone knows better, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a typical meal would consist of veggies (good), beans (OK), white rice (bad), whole wheat chapatti or white naan (bad), some sort of deep-fried battered veggie (bad), sugared, milky, spiced tea (bad), and a VERY sugary and/or starchy dessert (VERY bad). Many Indian vegetarians don't eat eggs, either, so apart from some dairy in the form of milk and paneer (cheese - yummy), the diet is low in protein, too. Older Indian women, in particular, tend to be quite overweight, the ones I see, anyway.

And that's on top of whatever stresses immigrants face - Yikes!

I don't mean to imply anything negative about Indians specifically or immigrants in general - just about the health consequences of a starchy, fatty diet - the same consequences the Standard American Diet tends to lead to. Interesting that one tends to be vegetarian, the other not - both both pose similar problems to health.

Rachel

It's not the fat. Never has been. On the contrary, fat is good for us, especially saturated animal fat.

kneebrace
Sun, Mar-02-08, 19:27
It's not the fat. Never has been. On the contrary, fat is good for us, especially saturated animal fat.

Martin, do you still seriously believe that dietary fat does not become an inflammatory factor in the context of a high carb (and high fat) diet?

Or, just so everybody can stay up to speed with your amazing level of dietary awareness, do you still also believe that dietary triglycerides aren't very efficiently stored in adipocytes in the presence of insulin ?. By dietary triglycerides I am specifically referring to the ones that come from dietary fat, not the ones that come from converted glucose.

Don't forget, I'm not talking about Acylation Stimulating Protein's role in storing triglicerides in the complete absence of dietary carbohydrate. I'm just referring to insulin's effect.

Teasing this out a bit, somebody who gets fat eating a moderate carb, high fat diet stores fat only from the moderate carbs, not the fat?

Stuart

M Levac
Sun, Mar-02-08, 19:54
Martin, do you still seriously believe that dietary fat does not become an inflammatory factor in the context of a high carb (and high fat) diet?

Or, just so everybody can stay up to speed with your amazing level of dietary awareness, do you still also believe that dietary triglycerides aren't very efficiently stored in adipocytes in the presence of insulin ?. By dietary triglycerides I am specifically referring to the ones that come from dietary fat, not the ones that come from converted glucose.

Don't forget, I'm not talking about Acylation Stimulating Protein's role in storing triglicerides in the complete absence of dietary carbohydrate. I'm just referring to insulin's effect.

Teasing this out a bit, somebody who gets fat eating a moderate carb, high fat diet stores fat only from the moderate carbs, not the fat?

Stuart

Again?!?

What's wrong with you? You a masochist or something? We all know the outcome of a debate between you and me on the subject of dietary fat and fat accumulation. I end up humiliating you, you end up quitting the discussion with your ego dramatically deflated. And nobody learns anything new, especially not you apparently.

It's not that I don't like you personally, I don't tend either way. It's that debating with you becomes tedious and boring with very little satisfaction coming from simply making you look like an amateur.

My apology, Kneebrace, due to a severe lack of interest on my part, I must respectfully decline your invitation to further useless and fruitless debate.

kneebrace
Sun, Mar-02-08, 19:58
Thanks Martin, you just answered my question.

...crawling off in humiliation.. :)

Stuart.

Sandollar
Sun, Mar-02-08, 20:39
Interesting article...when I lived in Vancouver for 14 years (that has a very high Indo-Canadian population) I noticed that many of my Indian friends had fathers with heart trouble...including previous heart attacks. It was just something that stuck in my mind at the time...
I was just a teenager then and never attributed it to diet, but the stress of heading a very large household/family.

Now I would say it is both!

kwikdriver
Sun, Mar-02-08, 20:50
This reminds me of the Pima Indians (just do a search on "Pima Indians Diabetes"). This stuff isn't new at all; you'd think scientists would be better at putting together the pieces.

anita45
Mon, Mar-03-08, 02:06
Speaking as someone of South Asian origin - I believe that a lot of it is down to dietary habits. A good proportion of South Asians are vegetarian and those that aren't tend not to eat that much meat - there is very little protein in the diet at all. I have observed this amongst my parents friends here in the UK but also when I've been to India to visit family and friends.

What the diet contains A LOT of is grain products. Everyone is eating starchy carbs - rice, chappati, naan etc. Dairy is pretty minimal apart from the desserts which are almost all dairy + LOADS of sugar.

I was quite shocked when I went back in November to find out so many people I knew were diabetic. Some of whom were very young. Most of them believe the low fat nonsense and are suffering for it. Of course they all have a strong history of diabetes, kidney and heart problems in their families - going back many generations.

It's really quite depressing when you see people you care about getting more and more ill. A good friend of ours had part of his foot amputated recently - he's had diabetes for nearly 40 years and his wife about 30 years. They're both quite overweight. The husband has dialysis a couple of times a day and he's too exhausted to do anything so is more or less held prisoner in his apartment. When I got back to the UK I found out that his daughter (same age as me - 27) has been diagnosed with diabetes - you can just see history repeating itself.

FenwayGuy
Mon, Mar-03-08, 12:28
Interesting article...when I lived in Vancouver for 14 years (that has a very high Indo-Canadian population) I noticed that many of my Indian friends had fathers with heart trouble...including previous heart attacks. It was just something that stuck in my mind at the time...
I was just a teenager then and never attributed it to diet, but the stress of heading a very large household/family.

Now I would say it is both!

I have known/worked with people of Indian origin and was always suprised (at a point way back when) to hear of 30 something males of Indian origin (many 2nd or 3rd generation Canadian) who had sky high triglyceride/cholestrol levels. Forget cholestrol for a second, but the triglycerides were the result of huge refined carb intake. Indian people have quite the sweet tooth (I can hardly stomach Indian type deserts) that is part and parcel of that carb overload.

I was surprised then, no more now. This article tells it like it is.

neverwhere
Mon, Mar-03-08, 12:41

Stuart.

I'm like, totally humiliated for you :rolleyes:

High fat/low carb=good.

High fat/high carb=bad.

There is a reason, on a low carb diet, when one raises their carb intake, they subsequently lower their fat intake. No, fats arent bad, im pretty sure nearly all of us here will agree with that. But there needs to be a proper balance.

That is just obvious.

Daisymaiz
Mon, Mar-03-08, 13:10

Stuart.
:lol: :lol: :lol: