PDA

View Full Version : 6 Carb Breakfast Wrap

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Rose1942
Mon, Feb-25-08, 12:12
Trader Joe's has a new reduced carb whole wheat flour tortilla. They come 10 - 6 inch wraps to a pkg. and were $2.49. They list 6 carbs each but there are also 2 gr. fiber so the net effective carbs are only 4 gr. Not bad if you allow yourself the occasional bread product! I made this today and it was great:

BACON, EGG & CHEESE WRAP

2 slices bacon, cooked in microwave - set aside.

1 egg, stirred in cereal bowl. Put egg in microwave for 1 minute BUT at 40 seconds, open door and add:

1 slice cheese on top, any kind you like.

Hit START again to finish off the minute.

Slide egg and cheese onto a wrap, top with bacon, roll up.

Very satisfying and you don't need a knife and fork!

Luzyanna
Mon, Feb-25-08, 21:09
I eat a lot of egg/bacon/cheese LC tortilla wraps.....it's one of the few things I NEVER get burned out on. :)

Cajunboy47
Fri, Feb-29-08, 11:14
The type of cheese is important to me. When you say sliced cheese, is that sliced from a block of hard cheese, or is it a slice from a pre-wrapped soft cheese? ........I've noticed that pre-wrapped cheese slice has some carbs, or hidden carbs...
Perhaps a small amount of unaccounted carbs does not impact your BG levels, but for me, a little here and a little there makes a lot of difference.

For example: That wrap is probably made with refined white flour, which sends my BG rising pretty fast, whereas I get my morning carb from green veggies cooked with the eggs and I don't get the BG spikes.

Don't get me wrong, I think it might be totally ok for some to eat a breakfast wrap as described, but some of us diabetics cannot tolerate certain types of carbs as well as others...

I've even noticed that what I tolerate today is different from what I've tolerated in the past and what I might be tolerating next week. Weight change, activity level, content of the previous meals, etc.. many variables.......

That wrap does sound good though.... :)

Rose1942
Sat, Mar-01-08, 06:54
What I usually buy is deli cheese if I am going for slices. Sharp chedder, munster, provalone, colby jack etc.. and I try and get the better brands. A slice or two of any of that doesn't bother me. I also buy bricks of sharp chedder, which I think are even more suitable, but they harder and for the wrap I want something soft (and more convenient).

Yeah, the wraps I speak of do contain white flour, but they are only 6 inch ones, and pretty low carb for a bread product. So one wrap has 'countable' carbs of 4, much better than toast. With the fats in the bacon and cheese, they seem more of a low glycemic combo. In any case they don't raise my BG, tho' they may do it for some. Everything raises it to some extent, just by virtue of eating at all, I have found no breakfast that doesn't raise it a little at least! I don't eat that every day of course, but it is a nice change, and would be great for someone on the run, a hand held breakfast to take to work, etc.