PDA

View Full Version : Dreamfield's pasta? What do you think?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

RachelTN
Fri, Feb-22-08, 00:59
I'm sitting here with a box of Dreamfield's Pasta http://www.dreamfieldsfoods.com/

which claims to have 5 grams of digestible carbs per serving.

I was thinking about having this with alfredo sause tomorrow for dinner. But I wondered if anyone eats this and do you find that it stalls you or is anyone diabetic and do you know if it really does indeed raise insulin too high? Or knock you out of Ketosis?

I really want it but am worried, lol. :yum:

I've eaten it before, but I wasn't using Ketostix or really being "serious" at low carbing at the time anyway so I didn't really notice if it affected me...

mike_d
Fri, Feb-22-08, 12:02
Here we go again ... you should search for "Dreamfields"

I put some in my soup for later today, a box lasts me forever cuz I use so little. Pasta and bread are "trigger foods" for me and a 1/2 cup serving is just a tease-- I want a bowl :o

As far as the DF goes, your mileage may vary. Don't overcook it :)

daisyboo
Fri, Feb-22-08, 12:18
We had some in lasagne yesterday however now that i lowcarb (and everyone else in the house has to!) i don't do as many layers and i make it with a richer sauce (more fat) plus i make a smaller one and i make them eat it with a salad :lol:

I haven't noticed any problems at all with it but then if we have it once a month thats alot!

kallyn
Fri, Feb-22-08, 12:21
I use the Dreamfield's pasta whenever I have to cook for a non-LC group. Most people ask me why the pasta is so delicious (it's a bit firmer than regular pasta). I don't use a glucose meter or ketostix, but Dreamfield's doesn't leave me feeling disgusting afterwards whereas real pasta does.

dcgoodin
Fri, Feb-22-08, 13:29
I use it and love it for spaghettie and goulash! ;)

YMMV - It doesn't seem to be something that stalls me - however, I only use it 1-2 times per month, so it's certainly not something that I consume a huge amount of. When I cook it, I only use 1 box, and that is just enough for the family, not much left over to splurge on.

Fri, Feb-22-08, 13:51
Dreamfields is da' bomb!

Gotta use it carefully though. Man! This stuff actually taste so much better than regular pasta. I love it!

I do here it stalls some, but I seem to be okay with it long as I don't get crazy with it.

Looks like you'll have to try a bit for yourself and see how your body responds. I just wouldn't suggest having it more than once a month.

Lickrish
Sat, Feb-23-08, 22:34
Dreamfields is da' bomb!

Gotta use it carefully though. Man! This stuff actually taste so much better than regular pasta. I love it!

I agree. I say it's a LOT better than regular pasta but its also higher so it should be. :D

I tried the rotini tonight for the first time. Its so good. :yum:

RachelTN
Sun, Feb-24-08, 01:31
Ok finally had some tonight. Serving was 3/4 cup dry so I did 1/2 cup dry.

The ketosix strip tonight was totally negative. :eek: :stop: :skull: :Puke:

Dreamfield's pasta is going back on the self and staying there until my dad visits in which I will feed it to him....

Luzyanna
Sun, Feb-24-08, 20:33
Yeah it always knocks me out of ketosis. I don't trust it at all to be lowcarb.

kelly77
Tue, Feb-26-08, 12:08
I haven't heard anyone else say this, but I get some pretty severe intestinal problems after consuming this pasta. I've tried more than once to eat it, and always have the same reaction, so I never touch the stuff. if I need pasta now, I just go for the real thing and get over it.

PrinceVern
Sun, Mar-02-08, 23:30
That stuff sends me to the restroom nearly instantaneously ~o~ they sure aren't kidding about the indigestible fibers...

I still like it once in a while with a nice alfredo sauce and lots of chicken ^o^

EMKAY 53
Mon, Mar-03-08, 10:10
I know the owner of a diabetic food store and bakery. She says many of her diabetic clients still have insulin spikes after eating this pasta and therefore isn't a very friendly food for a lot of people. A lot are thrown out of Ketosis too. Any food that just says it is a carb blocker and won't tell people about the ingredients makes me think it is probably too good to be true. I just buy her homemade low carb noodles and they do the trick.

Aynot
Sun, Mar-16-08, 13:18
I've heard of many people saying it stall them, however, I am not one of them. The only problem I have with it is eating an actual serving size. I use it more when I'm entertaining. I make a great LC pasta salad with it for summertime barbecues....which we have often....it makes me think I'm eating the same stuff everyone else is without the extra carbs.

I've also used it when I crave "comfort food"....I use the elbows with a couple different cheeses....delish! Just like good old fashioned mac and cheese.

Also......my hubby and DS are diabetic....and we haven't had a problem with their blood sugars from eating this as long as they eat it in moderation. BUT.....as you will hear...YMMV.

liddie01
Mon, Mar-17-08, 16:44
My BF and my daughter are diabetic, neither have any BS spike with dreamfields, and it doesn't stall me at all.

LessLiz
Mon, Mar-17-08, 19:40
Wow, I'm sorry it killed your ketosis. Every time I eat it -- about once or twice a month -- I check for ketosis (repeatedly) and have never been kicked out.

zorra_1
Mon, Mar-17-08, 21:36
I have about 3 boxes (lasagna, macaroni, and spaghetti) sitting in my cupboard but I am deathly afraid to prepare them! :lol:

Rose1942
Thu, Mar-20-08, 19:49
Tonight I made a pasta dish that has pasta with tomatoes, hamburger, and peppers and onion in it. I have been avoiding making this for several months because I knew that I couldn't eat any pasta. But my husband and I both wanted it, so I made it using Dreamfield's penne regate. Took a chance eating it myself because I am diabetic and really have to watch the sugar but........ amazingly, this dish did not raise my blood glucose beyond what any low carb meal usually does, after 2 hours. I ate a 'normal' portion, which for me was probably about 1 1/2 cups ( I didn't measure). I am impressed. Not sure if it works for everyone but it sure did for me! Anytime I can achieve a BG of 111 post prandial from dinner is good. Based on this one meal, I would say that I think their claim that this pasta won't raise blood sugar very high is valid. If this had been regular pasta I know without a doubt that I would have seen a reading of at least 130 after 2 hours.

CooknCajun
Fri, Apr-11-08, 15:07
I use konnyaku/shirataki noodles as my main sub for pasta.

Re: Dreamfields

After I lost the first 40 pounds, I advanced to ongoing and later maintenance levels of a L.C. diet. At that point, I wasn't putting out enough ketones to show on a strip. That's when I added Dreamfields to the WOE. I wouldn't recommend Dreamfields until one reached maintenance level.

Having said this, I make a dish using Dreamfields every month to month and a half. I find that after eating the pasta that I don't get the hunger/cravings that I would with conventional pasta. Sometimes I feel fuller sooner. As pasta is a trigger food for me, I do make sure to have extra protein in the dish that I might have pre-L.D. I also serve with an attractive salad and L.C. desert to help encourage my portion control of the pasta.

misschris
Thu, Apr-17-08, 15:11
About once a month or so I treat myself to Dreamfields. It has never knocked me out of ketosis. I do it primarily if I am having guests, or going to a cookout, etc. I will make pasta salad, or some sort of yummy gooey casserole, mac and cheese, etc. I had a friend in town this weekend and we ate wings, pasta salad, deviled eggs and had Mich Ultras, I never went out of ketosis. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone on induction, or to do very often, and stick with the serving size, which is hard for carb addicts to only eat a 1/2 cup of pasta!! For me, I don't intend to go my entire life without having some pasta here and there, but very sparingly, and if I am going to have some, I prefer it to be Dreamfields!!

livesimply
Thu, Apr-17-08, 18:16
I contacted the company because I had a few questions. First, 2 oz. dry equals 1 cup cooked. The first time I had it (spaghetti) I decided 1 cup was too much for me, maybe because I had some nice Italian sausage with it and a nice big salad. Second time I had 3/4 cup cooked--still a LOT. I think 1/2 cup cooked will satisfy my "urge" for pasta every now and then. It didn't knock me out of ketosis, although it maybe showed less than usual (can't remember). The idea of being able to have some pasta salad or mac & cheese occasionally is nice. For now, I'll use them sparingly. Plus, it's great to be able to make one thing for everyone in the family. :)

I guess everyone is different in terms of what stalls them: cheese, dairy, LC pasta, artificial sweeteners, etc. It's definitely a YMMV kind of thing.

misschris
Thu, Apr-17-08, 18:23
Okay, here is how bad I was when I first started eating this stuff. I would count EVERY noodle and then divide all the noodles into the number of servings in the box, bag them and make individual servings (I had time on my hands :lol: ) but it taught me what the portions were and now I can eyeball it. I only did this with the spaghetti because I couldn't really measure with a cup. Okay, I can't believe I just admitted that :help:

livesimply
Thu, Apr-17-08, 18:27
that's not bad, that's precise! :thup: I did measure my spaghetti, and my sauce -- of course, my DH couldn't believe I would do that, and I couldn't believe he would think I would not!

kallyn
Thu, Apr-17-08, 20:31
It's ok, misschris, on the few occasions I eat Dreamfield's I measure out exact portions with a food scale. We can be partners in anal measurements. :p

MNLisa B
Fri, Apr-18-08, 06:28
I don't get that sleepy, dopey feeling after I eat Dreamfields. DH has checked his BG and no spikes, so we love the Dreamfield's.

I have heard that some folks can tolerate the Barilla Plus, that it works the same way.

But, easier said than done for me, I do try to watch my portion sizes.