PDA

View Full Version : New York Style Cheesecake with Brazil Nut Crust

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

tamarian
Thu, Mar-07-02, 21:44
Auto generated link to page (Please do not remove): http://www.lowcarb.ca/karen/recipe062.html

agenda
Mon, Mar-18-02, 14:02
Can I possibly substitute the Brazil nuts with a different type - say walnut or pecans, and get the same carb count?

IslandGirl
Wed, Mar-27-02, 17:39
Hey there. Welcome.

Just so you know, each nut has its own carb count (cashews are quite high for instance).

You should be able to look up the carb count of whatever nut you want to use in your handy dandy paperback carb counter (you have one, don't you?).

There is also an online carb counter right here at this website for your convenience! See the orange menu bar above? There's a link to LowCarb Tools there and if you follow that link, you'll run into the Carb Counter.

Enjoy!

mamarty
Wed, Apr-03-02, 18:25
Just wanted to ask a couple things as this was my first fluffy cheesecake.

After adding all the ingredients, I had more than what would fit into a 9inch, by about 1/4 to 1/2 inch (estimation). The consitency was slightly frothy, but very creamy and smooth. Once I added the sour cream and eggs the mixer only ran long enough to fold the yolks into invisibility, however, having never beaten 5 pkgs of cream cheese at once, I did run it a long time on just the cream cheese trying to decide, exactly, what 'smooth' was. :confused:

The springform pan was at least 2.5 inches high, I think i may have seen higher ones on TV, but this was the deepest in the store.

After cooking, and letting set a bit, I removed the springform (slightly too early I could tell, one side needed support for a while), and the outside 2-3 inches had a cake consistency, but the middle was still quite gooshy. I let it cool another hour and just had to have a piece, and the inner 1-2inches was still soupy
ish.

I have since refridgerated the whole thing, and it is now firmer, but I am afeared that I blew the 'perfect' combination by undercooking it slightly (oven is NOT the best and it could have been at 185 instead of 200).

Is this whole experience normal, or should I jack up the oven 10-15 degrees to allow for a firmer middle (though still soft while hot).

note - used the macadamia nut version of the crust...can you say UM.

note 2 - even runny in the middle, it was a very creamy and enjoyable slice of heaven!

Thanks!

IslandGirl
Wed, Apr-03-02, 19:11
Hey, Mark.

Karen's recipes are usually quite good and reliable (and kitchen-tested for sure)...

After reading through your post, I'd suggest, based on an experience of my own :D that you buy an inexpensive oven thermometer (any hardware or kitchen store) and make sure your oven is set correctly. That way when you "jack up" the dial you will PROBABLY find that you get the correct temperature inside the oven itself. This is WAAAAYYY better than guessing on the temperature and timing.

I have two of them in my oven, by the way. I not only don't trust the ovens (any of 'em) but I'd hate for one of them to be wrong, too! Heck, I've got one in my fridge as well. Nothing worse than wasted food ingredients :eek:

Hope this helps!

Karen
Thu, Apr-04-02, 10:28
Hi Mark!

A few tips on the cheesecake...

Start with the cream cheese at room temperature and only beat it until until all the packages are combined and no lumps of cheese remain. It should only take about 2 minutes. Scrape down the bowl frequently. If your mixer has a paddle attachment, it will be better than a whisk attachment because a whisk incorporates air and you don't want that to happen with a cheesecake. If you beat it for a long time to the point of frothiness, it would increase the volume and not fit in the pan. I use a regular springform, not a high-sided fancy one.

Did you start off the baking at 500 F? It's important for the initial "set" It is quite possible that your oven - as Judi pointed - out is not the correct temperature. Ovens frequently go out of whack and some ovens will be hotter or cooler in certain areas.

The texture you describe is almost right - cakey around the outside and creamy in the middle but it shouldn't be gooshy or runny. Slightly "jiggly" is right. Another wonderful kitchen tool is an instant read thermometer. Great for using on large cuts of meats and cheesecakes. With a cheesecake, the temperature in the middle should read 150 F. YOu don't really need one is your oven is right, but they are useful to have.

Karen

Natrushka
Thu, Apr-04-02, 11:38
Karen, I just wanted to let you know that you have created yet another masterpiece. I made this for Easter (such as it was around out house this year) and it if by far the best cheesecake I've ever made. I left half of it in the fridge on tuesday when I left home but I seriously doubt they'll be anything left tomorrow when I get in.

I thawed some frozen raspberries I had and mashed them with my hand mixer to make a slushy / coulis type mixture that went beautifully with the cake.

Will be making this one again (very soon!)
Nat

Karen
Thu, Apr-04-02, 12:10
Thanks Nat! I think the texture on this one is sublime. The no-bake is more playful, but this one is dead serious.

My Dobe - who helped herself to half the last time I made it - likes it too!

Karen

wangeci
Thu, Apr-04-02, 16:57
Karen,

I am so excited to try this this weekend. I am having friends over on Saturday night for Daiquaries and a fish fry, with this cheesecake as desert. All your tips above will be very helpful. Question, does the lemon juice give it a lemony taste? The reason I ask is because I do not like a lemon flavor in my cheesecake and if it does, I would like to change it to Almond flavoring or something to that nature. But, if it does not give a tang of lemon, then I would like to follow your recipe to the T, since I know that it is tried and true.

Thanks
Cindy

Karen
Thu, Apr-04-02, 17:48
No, it doesn't taste like lemon at all, it just balances the flavour. I'm not a fan of lemon in cheesecakes either. Never understood it - why mess with pure luxury?

Another tip: My friends preferred the macadamia crust to the Brazil nut crust. They thought the Brazil nuts were too "mealy", but I like it as a change of pace.

What kind of fish are you frying?

Karen

wangeci
Thu, Apr-04-02, 17:48
Thanks Karen,
Then I will follow it to a T......

Walleye and Sauger, I'm going to do a traditional fish fry with breading, but I figured I will just eat the other yummy stuff I make and leave the fish alone. I have done so much fishing this winter that I have to start eating it......

Thanks again for your tips. I am really looking forward to the delicacy.....

Cindy

mamarty
Mon, Apr-15-02, 10:50
Note - once it chilled the cheesecake was perfect, only when I cut it warm (bout an hour or two after baking) was it 'gooshy'.

Going to make it again tonight I think, and will not beat it so long (was used to another recipe where light and almost frothy was good...but it used a lot less cream cheese).

So, smooth is just not chunky, not necessarily creamy - i notice once you add the eggs the creaminess really is easier to see, so will not wait so long for the first couple of eggs and I think that will keep me from over doing it.

Unable to find brazil nuts un mixed where we shop, so going to try a macadamia nut almond combination this time ( I loved the macadamia but experimentation is the norm round here).

Karen
Mon, Apr-15-02, 11:21
Cool! I'm having some friends over for dinner and I'm thinking of making it again too.

But, maybe I'll make something else!

Karen

mamarty
Tue, Apr-23-02, 11:02
Still a big hit!

Modified the crust to use 1/2 maca and 1/2 almonds, added 2tbs or so of butter to give it enough stickiness(the almonds a lot drier), and WOW, the reaction from the inhalers was wonderful..I personally liked both crusts, but just thought I'd let ya know the almond/maca had a very nice taste to it as well.

Tis such a big hit, that I have to make it when I go visit some friends in Phoenix in a week or so...under strict orders!

(note, 2nd time I made sure the oven was a tad warmer and it came out much firmer, even before chilling - and did not whip it to a froth, both times it was good, 2nd time just worked better!)

I just love making something I can splurge on (as long as its only one a day at least! I cannot have my brownies any more, but this helps ease the paaaaain.!

Karen
Wed, Apr-24-02, 09:05
Glad to see it's working out for you. The no-bake cheesecake has an almond crust that is very toasty in flavour and can be used in this recipe. Have a look at it.

Karen

phonemarsh
Thu, Apr-25-02, 20:59
Karen you are my hero.......this cheesecake is maaavalous.. I have a question. I made it without the crust and ran the ingredients through fitday and I got fewer carbs and a lot less calories than you have posted. Unfortunately, fitday doesn't have many brand names and I had to trust their figures on nutritional info, because I had already thrown away the packages. Such as cream cheese, and sour cream. Have you posted the breakdown anywhere?

Bottom line is ..... I am sure you are right and I've made the error but would like to fix it in my fitday account. Thanks, Your LC fan, JoAnne :)

Karen
Thu, Apr-25-02, 21:33
Hmm. I use fitday for figuring out recipes too. Let me check it and get back.

Karen

Karen
Sat, Apr-27-02, 08:36
Ha! Found it.

I didn't change fitdays charming default of 1 cup of eggs, so the recipe contained 6 cups. :eek: It's better to err on the side of too much, than too little!

Here it is corrected:

Total: 7186
Fat: 701 grams
Carbs: 90 grams
Fiber: 15 0 0%
Protein: 175 grams
Alcohol: 3 grams

Without the crust:

Total: 5349
Fat: 515 grams
Carbs: 55 grams
Fiber: 0
Protein: 135 grams
Alcohol: 3 grams

Thanks phonemarsh!

Karen

madpiano
Sat, Apr-27-02, 17:24
Hi Karen

This cake sounds divine, but I have a couple of questions before I rush of to the shop to get the ingredients:

What Cream Cheese do you use ? The tangy variety like Philadelphia or the creamy stuff like Mascarpone ?

We don't have "brown Sugar Twin" or "Splenda" here. All the granular sugars here are made from aspartame, so I can't use them for baking. I do have liquid sweetener from germany here though. Will that work ?

Where do I get "Pure Vanilla Extract" from ? In the supermarket they have "Vanilla Flavour", but that is made with sugar alcohols and doesn't taste very strong. Can I substitute with Vanilla ? If that is ok, how many Vanilla "sticks" do I use ?

Thanks
Sabine

Karen
Sat, Apr-27-02, 17:43
I use something similar to Philadelphia brand. Do not use spreadable cream cheese - don't know if you have it there.

What is the sweetener made out of? Can you get Stevia? Using the artificial vanilla extract is OK that you get in supermarkets. I am sure that Waitrose carries the pure.

Watch out Sabine! It makes a really big cake! ;)

Karen

Natrushka
Sat, Apr-27-02, 17:46
Today I found a small treasure - 4 of them actually. 3" spring form pans! I've been looking everywhere for smaller ones so I can make a few cakes from this large one - it's so good but it takes up soooo much room in my fridge. I've been looking for these since I tried this recipe way back when. Can't wait to make mini cheesecakes :)

Nat

madpiano
Sat, Apr-27-02, 18:07
Hi Karen

The sweetener is called "Natreen" and is made out of:
Water, Artificial Sweeteners (Cyclamat, Saccharin, Thaumatin), Fructose, Citric Acid and Sorbic Acid.

100ml is equal to 1320g sugar

100ml has 1.1kcal, 0g protein, <1g carbs, 0g fat
also has no influence on insulin (that's what they say on the bottle)

This is a new recipe. It never used to contain Fructose, but I couldn't find any of the "old" bottles anymore last time I was in Germany. The lable now reads : "The sweetness of Natreen now also contains a completley natural sweetener to improve taste". Well, we all know how "natural" fructose is... :mad:

This sweetener is actually made by Sara Lee, Germany.

We do have Waitrose in the UK, but I haven't got one close to here. I can use the artificial Vanilla as I still have soke in the cupboard, but could I use natural Vanilla ?

You confused me regarding the cheese. Philadelphia is spreadable cream cheese ?? Or do you mean not to use the processed cheese (Milkana is the only one I know. It's kind of yellowy and sticky and doesn't taste of cheese ?) ?

Karen
Sun, Apr-28-02, 09:03
The sweetener sounds OK, except for the fructose! :rolleyes:

By non-spreadable, it should come in a little brick and not say "spreadable" or "soft spreadable" on the label.

Using the artificial extract is OK.

Here is a link on making your own vanilla from beans, but it can be very $$$:

http://www.kitchenproject.com/vanilla/4FoldVanillaExtract.htm

Karen

phonemarsh
Mon, Apr-29-02, 19:58
Karen, Thank you for updating the calorie and carb content in this. Funny thing is...after you posted your reply I found that I had made the mistake when I made the receipe in the first place. Instead of 2 1/2 pounds of cream cheese, I used 2 1/2 packages of 8 oz cream cheese. (then transfered it to fitday the wrong way) Funnier still.... It turned out delicious. Go figure. Thanks again.

Karen
Tue, Apr-30-02, 00:05
Glad it worked out with one pound less cream cheese. Try it with the extra pound! It might be cheesier! ;)

Karen

jujubaby
Tue, Apr-30-02, 17:26
I used to buy a sugar free cheese cake from wal mart and after a while they stopped carrying it. I complained and after a while they carried it and I bought it by the case to freeze. They told me not enough people bought it! I said it had to be a lie since all the other crap with no sugar was selling well, so why wouldn't a loverly nice looking cheese cake? It seemed to be out everytime I tried to buy it.
so now maybe I have to cook one myself.
Also, I used to have a recipe for riccota cheese cake or Italian Easter grain pie it was callled also. Does any one have an Italian background that still has some living relatives that know how to make this version?
I simple forgot, having made it by memory, and now MOM is gone and I don't know where to call.
Plus I have this feeling that Ricotta style is a lot more healthier than cream cheese.
Could be wrong?
Last year I was committed to try and got the ingredients correct but the wrong ratio. The cheese caked turned out looking like a pie instead. and the choco-chips went to the bottom. The people who I had made them for, {all presents} said it wast great tasting.
Last but not least, does anyone have a copy of the old old old weight warches program?
I believe it was really one of the first low carbs diets around where everybody lost weight.
help some one?????

Lolabug
Tue, May-14-02, 10:36
Karen,
I made the cheesecake on the weekend for mother's day. Put some halved stawberries around the edge and twelve on top to mark each peice. My parents and I and one of my friends all really enjoyed it. I'm still enjoying a peice each day (those peices really are big!).

I made the cheesecake in a water bath. Is that maybe why it turned out more like a set style rather than a baked style? It seems to me that baked cheesecakes are a bit drier and firmer than the one I made and I prefer them like the baked.

I'm going to make another one this week for my birthday on thursday. Should I skip the water bath or bake it at a higher temperature? I did set it at 500 like you said and then turned it down to 200 ( or what ever the recipe said). I was thinking of baking it at 300 instead of 200. What do you think?

Thanks for being such a great resouce on this site!

Angeline
Thu, Sep-12-02, 19:16
Hi Karen

I just tried your cake today. I decided to cut the recipe in half. I checked the oven after an hour, figuring the cake would take less time to cook. I was right. It wasn't quite burned, but would have burned had I left it there longer. I think it will be still good but it's rather overcooked. No woobly center.

How long would you suggest i cook it, halving the recipe ?

Quinadal
Thu, Sep-12-02, 20:19
I have to wait till I get off induction and add more carbs... but I'm gonna use hazelnuts in the crust! Hazelnuts are YUMMY!

Karen
Fri, Sep-13-02, 00:01
Originally posted by Angeline
How long would you suggest i cook it, halving the recipe ?

Are you making it in a smaller pan or the same sized pan as the recipe specifies with half the batter?

Karen

Angeline
Fri, Sep-13-02, 08:40
Hi Karen,

thanks for the quick reply.

THe cake was in fact a bit overcooked and a little dry, which isn't so bad except that the crust burned a little and gives the cake an off taste.

I made it in the same size pan (9-inch), but next time I'll make it in a smaller pan (8-inch or so) or maybe even smaller if I can find where I put it.

I was thinking to check it after 45 minutes next time. Don't want to open the door too soon. Too bad my oven doesn't have a window.

Thanks for your help !

Karen
Fri, Sep-13-02, 11:27
In an 8-inch pan, I would bake it at 300F for about 45 minutes and no 500F initial blast. It should still look soft in the center - not loose and runny, but soft. That's one of the keys to a creamy cheesecake.

If you have an instant read thermometer, baking it to an internal temperature of 150F will ensure that it's done properly too.

Karen

Lolabug
Fri, Sep-13-02, 11:44
Karen,

where would you put the thermometer? In the middle or more to the edge?

Alena.

llawson
Sun, Sep-15-02, 08:16
Hope this isn't too stupid of a question, but the total carbs 104 I am assuming is for the whole pie, correct? I will give this a try this weekend....anxious.

Lisa

Karen
Sun, Sep-15-02, 12:29
Yep! I give the total counts because one persons "serving" could be two for another ! ;)

Karen

wangeci
Mon, Sep-16-02, 19:32
Karen,

I just noticed Nat's message from April when she found 3" spring form pans to make smaller cheese cakes with. If you used your recipe and made these smaller cheesecakes, do you think you could tell me how long to cook them for and what temperature???? Or is that something that would need to be experimented with?

Thanks
Cindy

Karen
Mon, Sep-16-02, 19:45
Hmm. Off the top of my head, I would say around 250F for maybe 20 minutes?

THe best way to go is by appearance or temperature. THey should still be a tad soft in the center or an instant read thermometer should read 150F.

Keep in mind that althought the texture will still be quite fine, it won't have that NY Style that is creamy in the center and drier around the outside. You need a bigger cake to do that.

Karen

wangeci
Tue, Sep-17-02, 08:54
Thanks for your quick reply Karen. .I have a 10" pan and that works great but it is a lot of cheese cake. I made the jello cheese cake that Ruth had listed in the Sweet Treats forum that every body raves about. But I do not like it flavored, I much rather prefer "cheesecake taste" to that, it is a good desert, but I don't think it is a cheesecake flavor. So I think next week I will make this one again.

Hopefully it freezes well, I am going to try to freeze pieces to last over a period of time.

Thanks again
Cindy

Howcross
Wed, Nov-27-02, 17:55
Hi, Karen.

I can find Splenda but not Sugar Twin, brown or otherwise. Can I use all Splenda?

Thanks.

Ann

Karen
Wed, Nov-27-02, 18:03
Can I use all Splenda?

Yes you can. Start with 1/2 cup and increase it to taste.

Karen

Akiwican
Thu, Nov-28-02, 14:22
Hi Karen,

Why do you use 5 Tbsp Splenda and 5 Tbsp Sugar Twin? Why the mixture?

Is the Sugar Twin in the filling white?

:wave: Lesley

Karen
Thu, Nov-28-02, 15:04
The two work synergistically to create a taste which is almost identical to sugar. You can also use much less of both because of the way they work together.

And yes, it's white Sugar Twin.

Karen

Akiwican
Thu, Nov-28-02, 15:25
Okay good, thanks for clearing that up for me. I'm going to try it this weekend. Wish me luck... I'm not the most confident when it come to baking. The words "failed again" :( seem to spring to mind, but it doesn't stop me trying :thup:

:wave: Lesley

putali
Sat, Jan-25-03, 13:35
Hi Karen. Your cheesecake recipe looks fabulous. I plan to give it a try tomorrow, even though I'm not much of a baker.

One question... if, hypothetically speaking, my husband were the sort of person who went *crazy* for chocolate cheesecake, would it be possible to modify your recipe using unsweetened chocolate?

Any insight you can offer would be great!

Karen
Sat, Jan-25-03, 13:54
Add 4 oz. of melted unsweetened chocolate to the batter. You will probably have to up the sweetener, so do it to taste.

You can add almon extract for a chocolate amaretto cheesecake!

Karen

nicksmom
Thu, Jan-30-03, 10:58
putali
Thanks for asking! I was scouring the boards for some chocolate goodies for my recipe file! :roll:

rainne
Sun, Jul-13-03, 08:56
You are a genius, Karen. That was simply the best cheesecake I ever ate, and I'm thrilled to be able to include it in my current lifestyle.

I think now I really can eat this way forever. Thank you for creating it and sharing it.

Karen
Sun, Jul-13-03, 18:28
Thanks rainne!
I think now I really can eat this way forever.
You can. It's my four year LC anniversary this month which is almost forever. ;)

Karen

nicksmom
Sun, Jul-13-03, 21:05
I just made this cake today. I didn't have macadamia nuts, so I used my ground almonds. I decided to heat up my All Clad pan and toast the almonds in it. I am absolutely amazed at how toasting the almonds gave it such a better taste! Came out great! I did make chocolate and it needed alot more sweetening than I imagined that it would. But, still very nice. In the refrigerator awaiting tomorrows attack, er, serving! LOL

rainne
Fri, Jul-18-03, 20:28
Congratulations on your anniversay, Karen. 4 years is almost forever.

Heck, in cyber-years it's at least a century.

Natrushka
Fri, Jul-25-03, 11:04
K, do you think I could freeze this safely? I"ve been making half the recipe in a small springform pan, but I'd really like to do the full one and freeze 3/4 of it. BTW, I'm only making the cheese part, not the crust (fondly called 'innards' round the house).

T

Angeline
Fri, Jul-25-03, 14:45
Cheese cakes in general freeze extremely well. I always make a full recipe, let it cool. Then I cut the cake into individual slices and place wax paper between the slices. Once it's frozen all the slices can be tossed into a plastic bag.

You need to allow a few hours for defrosting. You can always place them in the microwave, but it doesn't give the best results, as the slices tend to defrost unevenly in the microwave.

Karen
Fri, Jul-25-03, 23:33
Yes you can. What Angeline described is the way I would do it. There's nothing wrong - ahem - with frozen cheesecake either!

Karen

Natrushka
Sat, Jul-26-03, 17:09
Thanks, Ladies. I'll give Angeline's suggestion a try.

-N

itisamymc
Wed, Jul-30-03, 12:43
I am going to try to make the New York Cheesecake. I am not a good cook, so excuse the odd questions here.

The nuts:

Do I chop 2 cups of "whole" nuts or measure "2 cups" of "ground nuts"?
I know, dumb question. Also, I may have to use another type of nuts. What do you suggest? I am going to the grocery store today.

The sugar:

I have a new box of splenda packets. Can I just use those? Does the granular Splenda measure the same as packet Splenda? I thought someone on this website said it is different. I have the same question for the white and brown sugar twin. Oh, is lemon juice concentrate ok?

Anyone's help on this would be great! I am trying to make this for someone's birthday and I want it to be "perfect".

Thank you !!

Karen
Wed, Jul-30-03, 13:24
Do I chop 2 cups of "whole" nuts or measure "2 cups" of "ground nuts"? You use whole nuts then roast them. After roasting they are chopped. The instructions are in the method. If you are using raw Brazil nuts, spread them on a baking sheet and roast for 10-15 minutes until they are lightly golden. If using roasted macadamia nuts, omit the roasting. Let cool. While the nuts are toasting, melt the butter. Transfer the nuts to a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add the remaining ingredients and pulse to combine. Pat evenly into the bottom of the springform pan. Place in the fridge. If you're not used to cooking and following recipes, the best way to learn is by reading a recipe several times so you'll know what to do and exactly what you need. It's awful when you start cooking from a recipe and then find out that something had to be prepared in advance or you don't have a certain ingredient. Learning to cook is like learning anything else. Does the granular Splenda measure the same as packet Splenda? The splenda packets are more potent than the granular. Here's a link that explains how to measure:

Measuring sweeteners, granular type vs. paper packets (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4953&highlight=sweeteners)

This recipe uses Canadian Sugar Twin. If you don't have access to it, increase the Splenda to 1 cup and use it in place of the brown Sugar Twin in the crust as well.

Oh, is lemon juice concentrate ok? Nope! Not in my books. :) Use only fresh lemon juice.

Another thing to note is that the recipe uses 2 1/2 lbs. of cream cheese. Some people make the mistake of using 2 1/2 packages which is only 1 1/4 lbs. if they are 8 oz. packages.

I'm sure your cheesecake will turn out fabulously!

Karen

rishamoon
Sun, Aug-10-03, 20:02
EDITED DUH! just realized the end of the post above answered this question.... having a blonde day!

I have a question, is the sugar twin essential, or could this be done with just Splenda? I have been unable to locate any Sugar twin locally. I've made the "jello" no bake cheesecake a couple of times (bought a set of spring forms just for making it)... and it is really good, but I still miss the baked version of cheesecake and would love to give this one a try sometime soon. :)

sandypafl
Sat, Aug-23-03, 18:46
Karen ,

I have all the ingredients except for the sugar twin , can i use the granulated sweet and low instead?

Sandy

Karen
Sat, Aug-23-03, 22:31
I hesitate to say yes because I've never tried the combination. But, I don't see why not since saccharin is heat stable. And, two different sweeteners will work synergistically with each other which is why I use a combination.

US Sweet 'n' Low is saccharin, which is banned in Canada, and Candian Sugar Twin is cyclamate which is banned in the US. Go figure!

Karen

sandypafl
Tue, Aug-26-03, 14:08
FYI , i used the sweet and low , not even alot of it and it ruined the taste of the pie, bad bad aftertaste. I had a chance to make it with just splenda and it turned out great use 3/4 c of splenda and i was sweet enough.

Sandy

Karen
Wed, Aug-27-03, 00:57
I'm intrigued enough now to take a quick trip over the border for some American Sweet 'n' Low to see what the combination of sucralose and saccharin is like. Hopefully it will be just as good as the cyclamate and sucralose combination...

Karen

valkyrie9
Fri, Aug-29-03, 11:54
i'm itching to make this cheesecake for my birthday but i've never made a cheesecake and am not the greatest cook so i have a couple questions...firstly, i plan on making the crustless version. do i still need to put parchment paper on the bottom of the pan? what is parchment paper? is it the same as waxed paper? do i just need to cut out a circle and put it at the round bottom of the pan only? (see, i'm hopless here).

also, how lemony is this cheesecake? i ask because i'm not too fond of lemony cheesecakes, though i know that's how they're meant to be. i prefer a more "cheesy" flavor.

thanks!

Karen
Fri, Aug-29-03, 23:03
do i still need to put parchment paper on the bottom of the pan? what is parchment paper?
Only if you don't want the cheesecake to stick to the bottom of the pan. ;)

Parchment paper is also known as silicone paper and you can buy it in grocery stores. It comes in a roll and hangs out with the waxed paper and Saran Wrap. It's just great for any baking job...cookies, cakes, meatloaf...nothing sticks to it.
do i just need to cut out a circle Yep! Lay the bottom of the pan on the paper and trace around it, then cut it with scissors. also, how lemony is this cheesecake? Not lemony at all. I loathe lemony cheesecakes unless they're supposed to be lemon cheesecakes.

Karen

intastella
Wed, Sep-17-03, 18:27
I tried making this cheesecake last night, and though the texture was perfect, the taste was a bit odd. It might be because I didnt have white sugar twin, so I tried using brown sugar twin, and it ending up with a taste verging on bitter. Could it be the brown sugar twin? Though I use splenda often, I havent cooked with sugar twin at all, so I am not familiar with the taste.

Karen
Thu, Sep-18-03, 00:43
Could it be the brown sugar twin?
Yep! If you don't have the white Sugar Twin, you can use use 3/4 cup Splenda.

Karen

relliott1
Fri, Sep-19-03, 10:32
Hi Karen! First off, I LOVE this cheesecake! Thank you so much for the recipe.

I have been wondering if it might be possible to modify this recipe to incorporate flavors such as pumpkin, raspberry or others. I was in particular thinking about making a pumpkin cheesecake for Halloween. In the past I have used recipes that call for pumpkin pie filling, but I am sure that is full of sugar and carbs. I was wondering if you might have any suggestions for modifying this as a flavored cheesecake?

Thanks!

Karen
Sat, Sep-20-03, 08:01
Thanks! :)

You can get canned pumpkin without any do-do in it at most grocery stores. Use 1/2 lb. less of the cream cheese and add 1/2 lb. of the pumpkin. Add pumpkin pie spices to taste. I would start with 2 tsp. cinnamon, 1 tsp. ginger and 1/2 tsp. nutmeg.

For the raspberry, do the same thing. You can either lightly crush them or puree them and press through a sieve to remove the seeds.

I really like using extracts made by Boyajian (http://www.boyajianinc.com/flavors.html). The strawberry and raspberry are just amazing for perking up the flavour of raspberry and strawberry desserts. I get them here at gourmet food stores.

Karen

skibunnie
Sat, Sep-20-03, 10:24
I made this cheesecake and it turned out perfect, its a great recipe. I made mine a lemon cheesecake, which I strongly recomend :)

Demi
Wed, Sep-24-03, 15:25
Damn, I wish I'd found and read this thread before I made the cheesecake :rolleyes:

I had a few questions in my mind while I was making it - such as the fact that we can't get Sugar Twin in the UK, so could I just use all Splenda (which I did), does the cheesecake freeze well (this particular one won't because it's gone in the bin) etc etc - and they've been answered here.

However, I also discovered that it's NOT 2 x 1/2lbs of cream cheese, but TWO AND A HALF POUNDS OF CREAM CHEESE:eek: I did look at the amount a couple of times, but thought I had read it correctly, obviously not :rolleyes:

Could this be why my cheesecake has come out looking and tasting very similar to a gigantic mock danish??!!!

Which brings me on to one more question (which I don't think has been answered here) but could I use marscapone rather than the cream cheese?? - the reason is that I prefer the sweeter tasting mascarpone to the rather salty cream cheese (philadelphia brand) - and I often use it when I make a mock danish.

Luminette
Mon, Oct-13-03, 11:39
I made this cheesecake to take to dinner last night. I served it with a teaspoon of sugar-free raspberry jam on each slice and a drizzle of sugar-free chocolate sauce on the plate beside the slice. Everyone loved it. I was a little hesitant, as I had never made a 'baked' cheesecake before, I had always made the kind you chill. I put a little bit in a small glass pan to cook along with it in case I goofed up and would know before I served it if it was awful. Wow, was it ever delicious, and not nearly as difficult as I had set myself up for it to be. I also made a small one adding cocoa powder and toasted almonds to the batter (this one definitely needs tweaking, but I love a chocolate cheesecake, so I just had to give it a try). Thanks Karen, I will definitely make this again.
:)

skibunnie
Thu, Oct-16-03, 15:54
Karen have you ever made this into a peanut butter or peanut butter and chocolate cheesecake? Im just curious as to how that would be.

Karen
Thu, Oct-16-03, 21:40
No, not with this recipe but I've done different variations with the No-Bake Vancouver Cheesecake.

Karen

Sunslyte
Wed, Oct-29-03, 09:27
I bought some 4" springform pans to make cheesecakes for my low carb friends -- how long do you suppose I should bake the cake with this small of a pan?

Karen
Wed, Oct-29-03, 10:19
Hmm. I would say about 15-25 minutes, max depending on how much you are filling the pan. Don't do the initial 500F baking because that would probably be enough to cook the cheesecakes through.

Test them with an instant read thermometer. The internal temperature should be 150F when they're ready to come out of the oven.

You're a nice friend to make cheesecakes for your LC buddies! :)

Karen

relliott1
Sat, Nov-01-03, 12:00
Karen,

Just wanted to let you know, I made a pumpkin version of this cheesecake for our office halloween potluck yesterday. It was a HUGE hit, and the first goodie to be all gone! Adding the pumpkin smooths out the consistency of the cake a bit, so it is not as thick, but still nice and rich. I used nearly a whole 15 oz can of pumpkin - I kept tasting the mix until it tasted right ;) I thought it could have used a bit more pumpkin and probably just a tad more pumpkin pie spice when all was said and done, but the people in my office RAVED about it and couldn't believe it was sugar free! :D

Thanks again for such an incredible recipe! I plan on making it for Thanksgiving so that I can wow my family with both my loss and my cooking skills! LOL

MyJourney
Mon, Nov-10-03, 11:35
I want to make this cheesecake tonight for my birthday (well its the 12th but celebrating on the 11th)
And I had a couple of questions.

First, my vanilla extract has sugar in it. I could not find sugar free extract, is it still safe, should I use french vanilla davinci syrup instead?

Also, would it be possible to alter the flavoring of the cake (not planning to this time but for future use perhaps) by using the syrups and cutting back on the splenda?

Also since I cannot get white or brown sugar twin here I will use 1c of splenda for the filling but was wondering if I should only use 2tsp of splenda for the crust or how to modify that?

Thanks,

MJ

Karen
Mon, Nov-10-03, 13:18
First, my vanilla extract has sugar in it. I could not find sugar free extract, is it still safe, should I use french vanilla davinci syrup instead? It's fine to use the extract. The amount is so minimal that it shouldn't make a difference.
Also, would it be possible to alter the flavoring of the cake (not planning to this time but for future use perhaps) by using the syrups and cutting back on the splenda? Yes, but depending on how much syrup you use, you would have to cut back on something else like the sour cream so as not to change the ratio of liquids to eggs.

I have to confess that I really don't like the flavour of DaVinci syrup. It tastes really fake to me. What I do instead is use a good quality extract to change the flavour.

Use 2 tsp. Splenda for the crust and it will be just fine.

Karen

MyJourney
Tue, Nov-11-03, 10:28
Well, I finally made it, and just put it in the oven. It seemed runnier than what my cheesecakes normally come out like. I made it in the food processor.

I tasted the batter and it was just unbelievable... so worst case I will have warm soup and eat it with a spoon.

The hardest part was shelling those brazil nuts. I cant wait to taste it, I will keep you posted.

MJ

Karen
Tue, Nov-11-03, 10:49
The hardest part was shelling those brazil nuts. Ack! You couldn't get shelled Brazil nuts? I feel bad that you had to go to all that work!

Karen

MyJourney
Tue, Nov-11-03, 12:49
Ack! You couldn't get shelled Brazil nuts? I feel bad that you had to go to all that work!

Totally worth it!!! I just tasted the cake warm... I couldnt wait, I just had a tiny piece and its out of this world. I didnt expect it to be THIS good. I need to hide this from myself.

The crust wasnt sticking to my cake all that well but I guess thats because it was still warm. I also think I might add a touch more splenda to the crust but aside that its so rich and filling and perfect!

WendyLynn
Sat, Nov-29-03, 15:17
Karen, I followed your directions on the recipes and the hints you gave above to the t. My only "change" was that I did not use a crust (I am allergic to nuts). The cake looked beautiful and the texture was perfect but it tasted salty. Any idea what went wrong? I often don't like the taste of artificial sweeteners but this definately was salty. Your advise is appreciated.

Karen
Sun, Nov-30-03, 02:23
Hi WendyLynn,

Cream cheese is salty to some people. Without the buffer of sugar or other ingredients - chocolate, fruit, etc. - you get a big mouthful of almost pure cream cheese.

Did you use Philly brick or another type of cream cheese? I had a discussion (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?p=1331792&highlight=cream+cheese+salty#post1331792) a while ago with a member who found the brick-type salty.

Karen

WendyLynn
Mon, Dec-01-03, 08:42
Thanks for the response Karen. I did use the Philly brick type of cream cheese. I will take a look at the discussion you linked and see if there is another solution :) As I said, everything else from looks to texture was wonderful I really want to try again. Thanks for your help (and your recipe).

jeanyyy
Tue, Dec-02-03, 09:49
For some reason, the link to the discussion doesn't work for me... Karen, can you post the actual URL, please? :)

seb
Tue, Dec-09-03, 08:42
Karen
To make a crustless cheesecake,do I follow your directions just leaving out the crust directions or is there a recipe on here for the crustless cheesecake?
seb

persimmon
Sat, Dec-13-03, 12:44
Karen, I am going to make this for a family reunion tomorrow. Can I properly label it "low-carb/diabetic?" Or is it only ok for a diabetic who low-carbs, if that makes sense?
I have never tried any lc recipes--I've only cooked plain meats, poultry, veggies, with butter or olive oil, so I am really excited about trying this.

Karen
Sat, Dec-13-03, 13:20
I have never tried any lc recipesCool! I'm sure you'll enjoy it!
Or is it only ok for a diabetic who low-carbs, if that makes sense? Not really :) but anything low-carb is OK for diabetics to eat unless they firmly follow the ADA food guidlines (I have never tried any lc recipes--I've only cooked plain meats, poultry, veggies, with butter or olive oil, so I am really excited about trying this.). In any case, it won't raise their blood sugar level and is not dangerous.

Karen

Karen
Sat, Dec-13-03, 13:27
To make a crustless cheesecake,do I follow your directions just leaving out the crust directions or is there a recipe on here for the crustless cheesecake? Just make it without the crust.

Karen

diemde
Sun, Dec-21-03, 16:18
Hi everyone! I made Karen's cheesecake and I'm sure it will taste good. I used mostly almonds for the crust, with about 1/4 cup pecans. I also used 8 TBS of Splenda and 2 TBS of brown sugar twin (didn't have the white). Everthing else was per the recipe. But, help! How do I prevent the cracks next time?

http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/data/500/34529cheesecake.JPG

Thanks for sharing this with us Karen!

Demi
Tue, Dec-23-03, 15:26
Has anyone made a chocolate version of this wonderful cheesecake??

I haven't yet, but am planning to, and would appreciate any tips - i.e., what sort of chocolate you used (flavouring, syrup, , cocoa or melted chocolate etc) and the quantities.

Amaara
Thu, Dec-25-03, 07:41
Demi, I want to know that, too!

I did use 1/2 cup pineapple flavored DaVinci syrup in place of the 1/2 cup of sour cream, and it turned out OK. I still had to use a cup of Splenda in addition, and the flavor was barely there.

Also, is there a way to make it more "cakey"? I like the outside, but the inside, which is softer and gooier, I don't like. I would like it cake-like throughout. Should I bake it longer?

~~Amaara

jeanyyy
Fri, Dec-26-03, 00:41
I made the NY baked cheesecake, exactly as written for the filling, but used toasted pecans for the crust. I added homemade chocolate "flecks" from the "ice cream" cheesecake recipe into the batter at the end and topped it with a chocolate glaze from a recipe by Jennifer Eloff. I posted the recipe the glaze came from in Mischa's journal here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?p=1651935&highlight=chocolate+glaze#post1651935

Here is a pic:

http://members.shaw.ca/jeanyy/Chocolate Cheesecake.jpg

Oh, and for the first 10 minutes, I set my oven to 450 F, then 1 hour and 20 minutes at 200 F, checking with an oven thermometer to make sure the temperature was correct. I also placed a pan of water on the oven shelf below the one the cheesecake was on. No cracking!!! YAY! :)

Amaara, yes I'd think baking it longer would give you the consistency you prefer. I know the first time I made this cheesecake, my oven was way too hot and the final result was quite "cakey". Good, but not what was intended.

diemde
Sat, Dec-27-03, 14:40
Jean, your cake looks wonderful! I'll have to try that the next time, and put the pan of water in the oven.

Luminette
Sat, Dec-27-03, 22:35
I made a chocolate version of this cheesecake for Xmas dinner. I used the suggested 4 oz. of unsweetened melted chocolate. Not knowing how much extra sweetener to add, I added it to the melted chocolate until it was no longer bitter. I ended up adding 2 teaspoons of splenda and 6 teaspoons of white granular sugar twin. The cake turned out delicious, not too sweet and not an overpowering chocolate flavour. I topped each slice with a dollop of chocolate whip cream (1 cup of whipping cream blended with 2 tablespoons of cocoa and 2 packets of sugar twin) and some shavings from a sugar free dark chocolate bar. Will definitely make this again.

latingirl
Thu, Jan-01-04, 09:49
Karen,
I followed the recipe completely. The cake was beautiful. I brought it to a New Years Eve party, and everybody wanted to try it. Slowly, all the guests starting to put their plates down.... it was very salty.
I was wondering what went wrong. I followed the recipe to the "t". Could it be that the Sugar Twin that I bought in USA is different from the one in Canada? You mentioned it was cyclamate, this one has sacharin in the ingredient list.
Maybe I should try making it with just Splenda? Adding more sweetener? Not adding the "pinch of salt"?
Thanks for your help.

Karen
Sat, Jan-03-04, 10:33
Hi diemde,
Everthing else was per the recipe. But, help! How do I prevent the cracks next time? It looks like your oven is running too hot, or takes too long to cool down after the initial 500F baking. To prevent it from happening, get an oven thermometer and check the temperature.

Karen

Karen
Sat, Jan-03-04, 10:45
Hi latingirl,
I followed the recipe completely. The cake was beautiful. I brought it to a New Years Eve party, and everybody wanted to try it. Slowly, all the guests starting to put their plates down.... it was very salty. Other people have mentioned saltiness with this and other cheescakes and for the life of me, I can't figure out what the problem is because I've never experienced it. :confused: If you scroll down a bit in this thread, there is a discussion on the same thing.

If you can't get Canadian Sugar Twin, use 1-1 1/3 cups of Splenda instead

Karen

AnnieMarin
Sat, Jan-17-04, 23:41
Thanks for the great recipe. This has now become my standard cheescake - the one all other are measured by!

It is almost identical to the recipe for the cheesecake at Pagliacci's Restaurant in Victoria (on Broad St.). That one used 2T lemon juice, one less egg and 1T flour, wh cream instead of sour cream and, of course, sugar. The flavour was a little tangier (maybe the extra lemon juice) but still was by no means a lemon flavoured cheesecake.

I do have a question for you about the crust. My crust was really just a layer of nuts in the bottom. It didn't hold together when I pressed it in the pan and after baking it had no real texture. After a day in the fridge the nuts started to soften (as I would expect in the presence of cheese) and it just seemed unnecessary (and this from a woman who loves nuts of all kinds!)

Is there any way to make a nut crust that has a "crusty" consistancy? Or did I just do something wrong?

relliott1
Sun, Jan-18-04, 00:09
I think the saltiness may come from the macadamia nuts. I used unsalted nuts when I made mine, and didn't have any problems with it being too salty.

Karen
Sun, Jan-18-04, 23:21
I do have a question for you about the crust. My crust was really just a layer of nuts in the bottom. That's pretty much what its like. :)

This is from my cookbook, The Low-Carb Gourmet which will be released this fall.

Basic Almond Crust
Makes a crust for 1 9-inch (22.5-cm) cheesecake or 1 8-inch (20 cm) pie pan

2 cups ground almonds
1 1/2 tsp. each Splenda and Canadian Sugar Twin or
2 Tbsp. Splenda
1/4 tsp. sea salt
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
1 large egg white

Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Line the bottom of the cheesecake pan or pie pan with a circle of parchment paper. This will prevent the crust from sticking.

Combine the almond meal, sweetener, and salt. Add the butter and mix with your fingertips until well combined. Beat the egg white with a whisk until completely foamy and add to the almond mixture. Mix well to combine. Pat into the prepared pan and bake for 10-15 minutes until a light golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool.

For a graham wafer-y taste, add 1/2 tsp. (5 mL) cinnamon to the dry indredients.
For a chocolate crust add 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) cocoa to the dry ingredients
For a crunchier crust, use 1 cup (240 mL) of sliced almonds in place of 1 cup (240 mL) of the almond meal.
Effective Carbohydrates Per crust: 17.9

Carbohydrates: 37 g, Fiber: 19.1 g, Protein: 42.8 g. Fat: 117.8 g, Calories: 1356
Per crust made with Splenda only, add 1.88 grams carbohydrate

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AnnieMarin
Mon, Jan-19-04, 13:13
Thanks a lot, Karen. I will try it this weekend! This sounds like it would be great - much "crustier" crust!

AnnieMarin

Wombatica
Mon, Feb-02-04, 10:56
There is PROBABLY an answer to this question earlier in this thread, but I don't have time to go through all 30 pages of it, so here goes: Why the two types of sugar substitute instead of just Splenda?

Karen
Mon, Feb-02-04, 11:01
The answer is here...

Combining Sweeteners Question (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=153788&highlight=synergistically)

Keep in mind that it's Canadian Sugar Twin, not the US Sugar Twin.

Karen

MyJourney
Wed, Feb-25-04, 06:18
I am going to be having company over all week and decided to make this cheesecake again. I have been experimenting with the liquid splenda recently and was wondering if I could use some of the liquid splenda here to sweeten the cake (and save the splenda carbs), or if I need the granular one for bulk?

I suppose I would only need half a tsp to a tsp to sweeten the entire cake so it wouldnt be a ton of liquid.

Also I was thinking of a cinnamon coconut crust or something with those flavors. Should I add some real nuts too and mix them with the coconut, or would the coconut be enough?

Karen
Wed, Feb-25-04, 09:42
There's a crust recipe a few posts up that I've used half coconut in, finely ground in a coffee grinder. A total coconut crust is a bit too mealy.

Using liquid Splenda is no problem as the sweeteners don't provide any bulk.

Karen

MyJourney
Thu, Feb-26-04, 03:45
Thanks :0 I posted another question but I already figured it out and the cake is in the oven.

owen93
Thu, Mar-11-04, 15:41
I think the saltiness may come from the macadamia nuts. I used unsalted nuts when I made mine, and didn't have any problems with it being too salty.

I used salted macadamias, but I also omitted the salt from the mix :lol:

I substituted lime for lemon as well.

It came out great, but I think my oven is too hot because I did get the cracking.

frankly that didn't bother me though, after all I'm just gonna cut it up and eat it.

I didn't have sugar twin - so just doubled the splenda but It still wasn't sweet enough for my taste.

It sure makes a HUGE cake I think I'm gonna have to freeze most of it.

MeltingFst
Wed, Apr-21-04, 23:26
FABULOUS!
Question:
The first time I made it I opened up the packages of splenda & measured 5 tbsps., and it was a little to sweet. The second time I made it I used the granular from the box & it wasn't sweet enough. Since then I have read your information on the difference between the boxed granular & the packets. Any advice on how to achieve a happy medium between the two?
Thank you in advance...

Karen
Thu, Apr-22-04, 00:09
You can use 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 cups of granular Splenda or the equivalent in packages. :)

Karen

jeanyyy
Fri, Apr-23-04, 00:31
Each packet has the sweetness of 2 teaspoons of sugar... so use that info to figure out how many packets you need (48 teaspoons in a cup). :)

Jolleegood
Wed, May-19-04, 01:11
How many carbs are in the 5 Tbsp's of Sugar Twin? I left them out. I used 7 Tbsp of granular Splenda. I don't like things too sweet.

I am making this cheesecake right now!

Thank you! I am enjoying this forum a lot.

Karen
Wed, May-19-04, 08:56
There are .75 grams in 1 Tbsp. of Canadian Sugar Twin and 1.5 grams in 1 Tbsp. of Splenda.

Glad you're enjoying the forum! :)

Karen

vwilliamso
Mon, May-24-04, 13:18
Hi. I'm new at this low carb dieting and I'm trying to find new recipes. I saw this recipe, but I'm so new that I don't know if the carbs at the end of the recipe is for the whole cheese cake, or is it 68 carbs for 1 slice?

Thanks for helping a beginner.

PecanPie
Mon, May-24-04, 13:55
The whole cheese cake!

relliott1
Thu, Jul-01-04, 13:49
Hi Karen,

I am planning on making this for my 4th of July bash, and I was wanting to put strawberries on top. What I was wondering is if I mix strawberries with Splenda like you normally would do with sugar for a shortcake, will it have the same affect of drawing out the juices? I definitely want the strawberry juices so that I can drizzle it on top, plain strawberries just don't have the kick I am looking for! :)

Thanks!
Robin

Karen
Fri, Jul-02-04, 09:22
What I was wondering is if I mix strawberries with Splenda like you normally would do with sugar for a shortcake, will it have the same affect of drawing out the juices?It won't, so mash some of the strawberries up and mix them with Splenda. Then fold in the remaining strawberries.

Karen

bike2work
Wed, Jul-21-04, 10:37
Nice cheesecake, Karen!

This may sound crazy but I made this to have for breakfasts. I just can't face another egg for a while. The cheesecake is ready to eat, saving time; I don't have to turn on the stove or oven in the summer heat (now that it's already cooked); and it's not eggs!

Will the recipes in this forum be in your upcoming book? Or are they all new ones?

Karen
Wed, Jul-21-04, 12:15
Will the recipes in this forum be in your upcoming book? Or are they all new ones? Some of them, but most of them are new. The cheesecake is in there for sure. :) There are also recipes contributed by the moderators.

Karen

tofi
Sat, Jul-24-04, 10:10
I took this to a cottage last week and served it to non-LCers. They didn't realize at all and asked for seconds! Karen, I followed your baking directions and it came out perfectly. Will definitely make it again soon.

Oh, I did change the crust - made it with crushed pecans. I didn't mind about the carb count because I LOVE pecans.

db81971
Tue, Aug-17-04, 20:04
Is this a fluffy cheesecake or the thick dense kind? I personally don't care for the fluffy kind... does anyone have a recipe for the thick heavy kind? I would like to make it for my birthday on THursday.

Thanks
Beverly

PecanPie
Tue, Aug-17-04, 22:25
hmm - this is light and fluffy when it's hot but dense and creamy when it's cold. It's the best one I have ever had.

jeanyyy
Wed, Aug-18-04, 10:06
In my opinion, this is the "thick heavy" kind of cheesecake (hence the "New York Style" in the name). I know what you mean about fluffy ones - they are okay, but not my favorite.

BlitzedAng
Wed, Aug-18-04, 10:36
So for us that are not in Canada, what do we use in place of the brown sugar twin? The one made here is different.. Thank you. Thought I would ask before I pay shipping costs from hell to get it here..

Angel

Karen
Sat, Aug-21-04, 00:48
An equal amount of Splenda.

Karen

suzi1q
Sat, Aug-28-04, 23:10
Could I substitute 5 Tbsp. Davinci's Vanilla Sugar free syrup for the
5 Tbsp. of granular sugar twin?

Karen
Sat, Aug-28-04, 23:37
That I don't know because I've never used Da Vinci syrups in cooking or baking. Maybe someone will come around who has and be able to answer your question.

Karen

thinsgreat
Wed, Sep-01-04, 19:12
i'm still confused..I live in the states and would like not to have the aftertaste of using 1.5 cups of splenda. what two work well together here?

tofi
Wed, Sep-01-04, 19:31
DO you not have Brown Sugar Twin in the US, nor any other "brown" sugar substitute? I would ask at a health food store.

You could use just Sugar Twin ( the white kind). Mixing the 2 sweeteners minimizes the aftertaste. Just don't use the whole amount until you've tasted the batter. Mixing sugar subs. tends to be sweeter than just one kind.

I've made this recipe a number of times and served it to unsuspecting guests who LOVED it. It's great.

thinsgreat
Thu, Sep-02-04, 05:53
thank you for replying. i guess the way i had read this thread was that the sugar twin was different in canada than in the states.

so, you are saying that the sugar twins we have here ARE the same. and
basically, i should just buy brown sugar twin and splenda, right? 5tbsp each. If i can't find brown, white will taste the same?

having a party and planning to serve this...wanted to make sure taste is there.

the combination will taste better than all splenda, right?

db81971
Thu, Sep-02-04, 09:24
thank you for replying. i guess the way i had read this thread was that the sugar twin was different in canada than in the states.

so, you are saying that the sugar twins we have here ARE the same. and
basically, i should just buy brown sugar twin and splenda, right? 5tbsp each. If i can't find brown, white will taste the same?

having a party and planning to serve this...wanted to make sure taste is there.

the combination will taste better than all splenda, right?

Sugar Twin in Canada and the US is different. It will taste very bitter if you use the US kind. I made it and used 3/4c of splenda. It was VERY good.

Hope this helps you
-Beverly

thinsgreat
Thu, Sep-02-04, 17:59
thank you... one last concern--- you said to use 3/4 c splenda--- somewhere i read that karen said 1.5 cups?

tofi
Thu, Sep-02-04, 18:34
IN Canada, our sweeteners are made with cyclamate which has been shown NOT to be dangerous. In the US, yours are still made with saccharin which has quite a bitter aftertaste.

db81971
Fri, Sep-03-04, 08:51
thank you... one last concern--- you said to use 3/4 c splenda--- somewhere i read that karen said 1.5 cups?

Personally I used the 3/4c and I thought it was fine. But my husband and mother-in law said it wasn't sweet enough. Maybe try about 1 cup. Mix it all together, and taste it before you add the eggs.

*Remember* using the boxed kind and using the packets are 2 different things too. Well 2 different measurements at least. When I say a cup, I mean of the boxed kind.

-Beverly

JCSCHILD
Thu, Feb-24-05, 10:17
Karen, you mentioned ground flax seed in your recipe on low carb forum here for the berry cheesecake. But when I went to get the recipe there was no mention of ground flax seed in the recipe.

What I want to do with this is use the crust recipe for a pineapple fluff recipe because I was trying to find something to replace graham crumb crust. Yours sounds great!! and I will try the cheesecake also!!!

Did you just forget to put the flax seed...how much should I put in there? Does this make a nice firm crust...can you cook it...instead of chilling it?

Thanks so much. Looking forward to trying the cheesecake too!

Jcschild!

Karen
Fri, Feb-25-05, 15:25
Karen, you mentioned ground flax seed in your recipe on low carb forum here for the berry cheesecake. But when I went to get the recipe there was no mention of ground flax seed in the recipe. Don't recall, unless it was in reference to a nut allergy. Can you dredge up the link?

Karen

H20Goddess
Sat, Feb-26-05, 09:49
I am in Nova Scotia and haven't been able to find brown sugar twin anywhere, or for that matter brown sugar Splenda. Anyone in Canada or NS have an idea where I might be able to buy either of these?

Thanks!

Karen
Sat, Feb-26-05, 10:15
Did you just forget to put the flax seed...how much should I put in there? Does this make a nice firm crust...can you cook it...instead of chilling it? The crust isn't firm, it's just nuts. :)

Take a look through this thread. I posted a crust recipe that is baked and gets firm.

Karen

Karen
Sat, Feb-26-05, 10:17
I am in Nova Scotia and haven't been able to find brown sugar twin anywhere, or for that matter brown sugar Splenda. Anyone in Canada or NS have an idea where I might be able to buy either of these? Here we get it at grocery stores, in the baking aisle. Just use white Sugar Twin if you can't find brown. I don't think brown Splenda exists.

Karen

JCSCHILD
Mon, Feb-28-05, 12:14
Karen, I cannot seem to find the link where you posted a baked crust on this thread. Also, the recipe where you mentioned flax seed in your berry cheesecake seems that is was not from you but another member who modified the recipe just little.

I would certainly appreciate finding that baked crust though!

Thanks again.

Jcschild

Karen
Mon, Feb-28-05, 12:29
Karen, I cannot seem to find the link where you posted a baked crust on this thread. It's on page 4, post #101.

Karen

H20Goddess
Tue, Mar-01-05, 08:31
Here we get it at grocery stores, in the baking aisle. Just use white Sugar Twin if you can't find brown. I don't think brown Splenda exists.

Karen

I was lucky enough to locate brown Sugar Twin...I saw it last night while grocery shopping. Finally...

I am having a someone over for dinner tomorrow evening and plan to make this cheesecake. Hopefully it'll turn out ok.

astrocreep
Sat, Mar-05-05, 15:54
Oh thank you so much for this recipe! I got a bag of brazil nuts the other month on sale but had NO CLUE what to do with them! I've never cooked with them before but I just couldn't pass up the great deal they had. Will use the brazil nut crust for a pumpkin pie perhaps! Thank you!

PlayDoh
Tue, Mar-29-05, 12:02
:wave: hello karen

i made your cheesecake recipe for easter and it came out beautifully. it tasted awesome, after the first few bites that is :lol: has to ajust to the lesser amount of sweetness than i'm used to and after that, absolutely delicious! oh, i used hazelnuts instead of brazil nuts and it was fine. next time, if i make it for home, i'm going to leave off the nuts as i liked it plain better. thank you for sharing this awesome recipe karen! :D

Karen
Tue, Mar-29-05, 13:59
thank you for sharing this awesome recipe karen! Cool! I'm glad it worked out for you. :)

Karen

Karen
Wed, Jun-29-05, 11:31
New York Style Cheesecake - updated
Makes 12 servings

Crust

1 cup finely ground almond meal
1/2 tsp. of ground cinnamon
pinch of sea salt
1 tsp. each bulk, pourable Splenda and bulk, pourable Canadian Sugar Twin or 4 tsp. bulk, pourable splenda
1 large egg white

Filling
2 1/2 lbs. brick-type cream cheese at room temperature (note: 2 1/2 pounds of cream cheese or 5 8 oz. packages, not 2 1/2 packages
5 Tbsp. each bulk, pourable Splenda and bulk, pourable Canadian Sugar Twin or 1 1/4 cups Splenda
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 large egg yolks
6 large eggs

Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Line the bottom of a 9-inch (22.5-cm) springform pan with parchment paper and coat the inside of the pan with butter.

Combine the almond meal, cinnamon, salt and sweetener. Add the butter and mix well. Beat the egg white until foamy and add to the almond mixture. Stir well and pat into the bottom of the prepared pan. The crust will be thin, and wetting your hands will help with the patting. Bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly browned. Let cool.

Increase the oven temperature to 500°F (250°C). In a food processor or mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the sweeteners, sour cream, lemon juice and vanilla and process or beat until combined. Add the egg yolks and then the eggs, one at a time, beating until incorporated before you add the next one. Remember to scrape the bowl frequently while you are mixing.

Place the pan on a rimmed baking sheet and carefully pour the filling over the crust. Bake for 5 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 200°F and continue baking for 1 1/2 hours. Do not open the door! The cheesecake should still look soft in the center. Transfer to a cooling rack. After 5 minutes, run a paring knife around the outside of the cheesecake to loosen it from the pan. Continue cooling to room temperature. Chill for at least 4 hours before cutting.

Per serving
Carbohydrates: 5.8 g, Fiber: .8 g, Protein: 13.7 g, Fat: 44.7 g, Calories: 473
Per serving made with Splenda only, add 1.6 grams carbohydrate

To Cut Cheesecakes Cleanly…

Dip your knife into very hot water and wipe the blade dry. Repeat the procedure after each cut and you’ll have beautifully smooth slices of cheesecake.

Frequently Asked Questions

You use bulk Splenda and I only use packets?

Splenda Packet Conversion Chart (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=142953)

Why combine sweeteners?

Combining Sweeteners Question (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=153788&highlight=synergistically)

Can I use liquid Splenda?
Yes. Use the conversion instructions that come with sweetener.

Can I make a chocolate version?
I've never done it, but you can experiment and post the recipe here. :)

Can I use DaVinci syrup as the sweetener?
Again, I've never tried it. :)

Does it taste like lemon?
No, the lemon juice provides a bit of tang and is not detectable.

Nille
Thu, Aug-25-05, 07:29
New York Style Cheesecake - updated
Makes 12 servings

Crust

1 cup finely ground almond meal
1/2 tsp. of ground cinnamon
pinch of sea salt
1 tsp. each bulk, pourable Splenda and bulk, pourable Canadian Sugar Twin or 4 tsp. bulk, pourable splenda
1 large egg white
2 1/2 lbs. brick-type cream cheese at room temperature (note: 2 1/2 pounds of cream cheese or 5 8 oz. packages, not 2 1/2 packages

Stupid question, I know, but just to be 100% certain: The creamcheese is supposed to be in the filling, not the crust, - right ??

db81971
Fri, Aug-26-05, 08:27
Yep, must be placed in the wrong heading, yes it goes in the filling.

-Beverly

Nille
Fri, Aug-26-05, 13:17
Yup, it's corrected now !! :)

bellesawri
Wed, Oct-26-05, 17:11
:help: Hi everyone, I had a quick question about the cheesecake recipe. What does the gr next to the amount of carbs mean? Thanks

Karen
Fri, Oct-28-05, 00:02
What does the gr next to the amount of carbs mean? gr is short form for grams.

Karen

Nille
Tue, Nov-01-05, 07:40
I made this wonderful cake for my birthday. *schwoooop* and it was GONE !
I copied the recipe to my friends and family.... I whereever I go now I get this cake served - that's kind of cool !!
:)

Hot_Tuna
Sat, Jan-07-06, 14:10
I'm excited at the tantilizing smells eminating from my oven currently! It's my hubby's bday and he's in training for his annual physical review which could have put a damper on his bday cake (singing happy bday over a sparkler stuck in a log of pate just ain't the same!) but having found your recipe (and researching a bit about you!) I assembled the ingredents and away we went. I don't usually follow recipes to a T but I didn't want to risk making a mess of his special dessert.

I really found the past posts and hints to be a lot of help. It feels like I've made this recipe a hundred times, thanks everyone.

Two questions, does it freeze well? I want to wrap indivual servings for later dates. Also, how do you suggest cutting it 'cleanly'?

Thanks again.

PlayDoh
Sat, Jan-07-06, 17:43
it freezes great

klc145
Sat, Jan-07-06, 20:28
Also, how do you suggest cutting it 'cleanly'?

I have always heard you can use a regular piece of floss and cut it by holding it tight and slicing it in pieces...hope that helps :)

LadyBelle
Sun, Jan-08-06, 11:11
Two questions, does it freeze well? I want to wrap indivual servings for later dates. Also, how do you suggest cutting it 'cleanly'?

I have heard of the floss trick as well. What else works is heating the knife under hot water. Cut your first cut, and if any sticks wipe it off. The cake is more likely to really stick to itself versus the knife, so if there is a hunk of cheesecake on the knife it will tear out more on your next cut

Hot_Tuna
Sun, Jan-08-06, 15:18
Thanks everyone, I didn't have floss on hand that wasn't flavoured so I went with the hot knife and cleaning it between slices. Each slice could have been put on display at the finest of restaurants. I decorated with a little mound of whipped cream, a raspberry, two mint leaves & a fine sprinkle of freshly grated dark chocolate. So pretty and so yummy too!

My crust was good but just a little on the thick side, other than that, the tips I read in the previous posts and the recipe itself made this one of the best desserts I've every made.

Funny - everyone gobbled it up so I can't freeze any left overs - next time!!

Cheers!

bike2work
Sat, Feb-03-07, 10:09
Hi Karen,

I just made this again and it was great, as always. I replaced 12 ounces of cream cheese with goat cheese and it was not noticable. (I just didn't want to drive to the market during a blizzard and used what I had.) Do you think it would work to make it entirely with goat cheese? Would it be worth the effort? Would you adjust flavors, like the lemon or vanilla?

Thanks.

Karen
Sat, Feb-03-07, 13:27
I think it might be a little dry because the texture of goat cheese is different than cream cheese. Might be good as a savoury cheesecake with dill, smoked salmon and sour cream on top?

Karen

stacianbob
Sun, Feb-04-07, 22:12
I am glad to read that two others have misread the cream cheese amount. I made the exact New York Cheesecake recipe from the cookbook with the almond crust, but instead of using 2 1/2 lbs I used 2 1/2 packages....and surprisingly it turned out excellently. In fact I didn't even know anything was awry until I read this thread! So, if you only have 2 1/2 packages of cream cheese - go ahead and bake this cake!

Stacey

meplus1
Sun, Feb-25-07, 13:51
Looks Wonderful

Kristine
Sun, Sep-23-07, 10:56
I made this yesterday (the updated recipe from the book) and it was outstanding. :thup: This will definitely be my stand-by recipe from now on, because other recipes I've tried aren't 'rich' enough to be satisfying. I end up eating half a cheesecake in one sitting and then feel bad about myself for it. :daze: There's no way I could pack away more than half of a one-twelfth slice of this cheesecake.

I didn't have a springform pan and I had to use pyrex, so I couldn't do it at 500F, but I don't mind cracks. It still came out with a beautiful texture and flavour.

The only "problem" is how much it made - I'll have to freeze some. Poor me, I have a month's worth of delicious cheesecake!

carress
Tue, Aug-05-08, 19:33
I tried to PM Karen to ask her this, but my account wouldn't let me, AND I read that she doesn't coem around much anymore. So - hopefully someone else can help me.
I couldn't find sugar twin in the grocery store..
I only have splenda. If I just use splenda will it work???

EDITED TO ADD
I checked through all 11 pages, and foudn that I can just use splenda, but is the stuff in the bag that measures cup for cup like sugar considered 'granular' splenda???

Thanks for any help..

doreen T
Wed, Aug-06-08, 07:41
hi there,

Glad you found the information you needed :thup:

Just in case anyone else is wondering the same thing, I'll quote Karen's reply from post #40 in this thread ...
Can I use all Splenda?

Yes you can. Start with 1/2 cup and increase it to taste.

Karen
Enjoy! :rose:

Doreen

IslandGirl
Wed, Aug-06-08, 11:22
EDITED TO ADD
I checked through all 11 pages, and foudn that I can just use splenda, but is the stuff in the bag that measures cup for cup like sugar considered 'granular' splenda???

Thanks for any help..

Yes, the granular is the "spoon for spoon". What grocery store did you look in for the SugarTwin? (are you in Canada? what part?) I see SugarTwin, both White and Brown granular, and the plain liquid, in just about every grocery store and in the larger "department stores", too. Usually in the sugar or baking supply section.

:wave:

carress
Thu, Aug-07-08, 19:18
I'm in New York - I looked in Stop n Shop and Price chopper. I didn't see liquid splenda either. I know i've seen sugar twin before, maybe a long while ago...

So - I did the 10 tablespoons of splenda, and it didn't seem like enough, so I added two more.
The cheesecake wasn't sweet - just had a little hint of sweet. There was a nice 'savory' flavor, but it definitely needed way more sugar. I wasn't sure when I tasted the batter b/c I've never made cheesecake before. Next time, I'll almost double the sugar. Texture-wise, the cake was perfect. I may have cooked it a liittle too long b/c the entire outside edge was brown and gummy - ad it cracked (I really don't care about that).

My crust was pretty good- again not sweet enough. I used Bakers unsweetened chocolate (melted) and added tons of splenda. As others have said, it was grainy and not sweet. I added a handful of almonds and two handfuls of pecans and processed them together after turning the nuts into a near powder.
By itself, the crust wasn't very good, but it did pick up a little something from the cake, and it was a nice compliment.

Next time- my cheesecake will be aswesome. I'm so glad I found this recipe.

Rosebud
Thu, Aug-07-08, 20:02
You will need to double the sweetener, because using a combination of two sweeteners actually doubles the sweetness. So if a recipe calls for 1 cup of Splenda, if you use a combination of Splenda and another sweetener (I use xylitol, and find the taste to be far superior to Splenda alone), you would only need a total of half a cup, ie a quarter of a cup of each sweetener.

HTH :)

Rosebud:rose: