PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried chocolate cherry diet Dr. Pepper?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Needlehole
Mon, Feb-04-08, 10:58
My DH bought me a bottle of it by accident thinking it was just regular diet Dr. Pepper, and I can't believe how wonderful it tastes! At first it tastes just like regular Dr. Pepper, with a little touch of cherry, and then it finishes with this really nice note of cocoa. I haven't had anything even remotely chocolate tasting in months. This was like a gift from the heavens!
Now if I could only get my DH to continue making such wonderful mistakes....

EMKAY 53
Mon, Feb-04-08, 11:00
Yes! I like it. I was thinking of adding a little heavy cream to it to try. Kinda like a soda thingy.

EMKAY 53
Mon, Feb-04-08, 11:02
There is also cherry vanilla, and berries and cream Dr. Pepper. They are all pretty nice as a treat.

Needlehole
Mon, Feb-04-08, 11:12
I was thinking of adding a little heavy cream to it to try. Kinda like a soda thingy.

That sounds like a plan! Great idea!
I just looked on their website and it stated its only available for a limited time. http://smilies.vidahost.com/otn/sad/frown_2.gif

EMKAY 53
Mon, Feb-04-08, 11:17
Oh really? The other two are available all the time. You should look for them and give them a try.

Needlehole
Mon, Feb-04-08, 11:49
Yeah, I've tried the other two, and I think they are a nice change from just plain old Dr. Pepper. When I took a drink initially, I thought it was the cherry vanilla one, probably because the cherry taste hit first. Man, when the chocolate taste hit me after that though, I kinda panicked. I thought for sure it was a regular soda. I swung the bottle around to read the nutritional info, and of course it was indeed diet. I wish they'd make it a permanent drink to offer. On second thought maybe not, I could see myself downing at least one a day if given the opportunity!

cleochatra
Mon, Feb-04-08, 11:56
As a Canfield's Chocolate Fudge soda girl, I lubs the chocolate Dr Pepper...

swhite24
Mon, Feb-04-08, 12:54
Yes! I had one for the first time yesterday. I loved it! I hate that they are only available for a limited time though. I will ahve to go rack up!...lol

gallard
Mon, Feb-04-08, 19:31
Bought it a couple of weeks ago and I hated it. It has the taste of old and cheap chocolate. I would rather never drink any type of pop again before drinking it again.

Anna_Marie
Mon, Feb-04-08, 20:35
I've been looking around for it since I saw a commercial for it. I haven't found one yet. :/ Still gonna look though. I'd love to have this as a treat! I used to just drink a Diet DP when I wanted something sweet and it really did the trick.

TimesTwo
Mon, Feb-04-08, 22:49
I've checked so many different stores looking for this! Where did you all find it?

After extensive searching last week, I bought Canfield's Cherry Chocolate Fudge soda that Cleo mentioned. It's okay. The chocolate is too artificial tasting, though.

reecesmama
Mon, Feb-04-08, 23:39
yuck! i hated it! i bought it on sale over the holiday & thought it tasted like a melted tootsie roll w/ a hint of cherry..bleck!

carascrv7
Tue, Feb-05-08, 00:41
ewwww...was GROSSS. But I am also not a chocolate lover either.

BetsyJ64
Tue, Feb-05-08, 05:39
You know what the smell of that stuff reminded me of? When I was younger, my mom used to buy us those "Lip Smackers" and one time she bought a chocolate cherry one - same smell!! Blech!!!!! Kinda like...old wet earth or something.... :lol:

TimesTwo
Wed, Feb-06-08, 14:44
Anyone? :) I've checked so many different stores looking for this! Where did you all find it?

Needlehole
Wed, Feb-06-08, 15:23
Hi there, sorry for not responding previously
I found them at my local convenience shop, but thats in Canada.
I'm uncertain whether it would be any different in your neck of the woods though.
By the look of some of these posts, I can well see why its only offered for a limited time.

wendiewill
Mon, Feb-18-08, 00:17
They had tons of it at Target this Saturday. Hope that helps.

Kd did
Mon, Feb-18-08, 05:25
Love chocolate covered cherries, so I had to try it...

Hated it!!!

I don't know why I continue to do this to myself. I have tried chocolate sodas in several forms. I know that I don't like it. For some reason...chocolate and soda do not mix well with me. I guess since I love chocolate covered cherries so much...it always sucks me in. hehe.

Nancy LC
Mon, Feb-18-08, 09:08
I don't like the taste of Dr. Pepper so I'm guessing I wouldn't like it. Now, if they removed the Dr. Pepper taste I might!

MizKitty
Mon, Feb-18-08, 09:13
mmmmm..... melted tootsie rolls.....

Anna_Marie
Mon, Feb-18-08, 09:25
I finally found it and tried it. It was disgusting. Totally tootsie roll-ish. I really don't know why I bought even after I read that it tasted like ugly tootsie rolls. I hate those things.

Wolfiesask
Thu, Feb-21-08, 10:48
Tried it, didn't find it much different than regular, a bit more cherry flavouring and more dye. :(

montanasun
Fri, Feb-22-08, 12:58
I love it! I'll have to add cream with it and try it that way.

MizKitty
Fri, Feb-22-08, 20:51
Tried it and liked it. Can't wait to try it with cream too!

surrealme
Fri, Feb-22-08, 21:13
I tried it today and really liked it.

Blondie888
Fri, Feb-22-08, 23:21
Has anyone seen it sold as 2 liters or 20 oz. bottles? I've only seen it in cases of 12 cans. I've almost entirely quit drinking soda, so I don't want to buy a case of it, yet I'm intrigued and want to try a serving of it.

ready2beme
Thu, Feb-28-08, 22:40
Bought some today for the first time and at first was not liking it. After reading here, I put a little whipped heavy cream in and it was GREAT !!!! Tastes like a dessert to me, will definately help keep me on track.

Thanks for the idea of putting in the cream........was a HUGE help !!!

EMKAY 53
Wed, Mar-05-08, 15:19
Yes I quite often put cream in the dark sodas. Diet rootbeer or diet orange soda with cream is really good too. If you put the pop in the freezer until slushy and then add the cream...oh my!

Anna_Marie
Wed, Mar-05-08, 15:29
I tried it with the cream too, thinking I may be able to tolerate it that way and eww.. I think it was even worse. :Puke:

And I really wanted to like it. :(

EMKAY 53
Wed, Mar-05-08, 15:44
That's too bad :( Try a different pop, diet orange and cream tastes like a creamsicle.

Anna_Marie
Wed, Mar-05-08, 15:52
That sounds really good right now :yum: I think I will try it with orange!

MaMomma
Wed, Mar-05-08, 16:38
yuck! i hated it! i bought it on sale over the holiday & thought it tasted like a melted tootsie roll w/ a hint of cherry..bleck!

That sounds delicious. :drool:

Ayustar
Wed, Mar-05-08, 16:47
Man, I love the stuff, but I have a soft spot for Dr. Pepper, even diet Dr.P is good, when it is super cold.

I liked all of the flavors that have came out. Yet nothing seems to beat the Diet Pepsi Jazz Strawberry, I don't know, it is delish!

Did you know Japan has a new Pepsi flavor? Mint and Cucumber!!! *no it isn't cola, so it's not as gross as it first seems* I HOPE it comes over here. I love both of those things, put it in a drink and carbonate it, I am set. *Yeah, I know it will flop if it comes here, but for people like me, ace!*

CarolynC
Fri, Mar-07-08, 22:18
I love chocolate cherry diet Dr. Pepper. :) My local Publix had a promotion where if you bought one 12 pack of cans of chocolate cherry diet Dr. Pepper, you got a 12 pack of another type of Dr. Pepper totally free. A great deal!

Luzyanna
Tue, Mar-18-08, 15:08
I still can't find these here but of course Louisiana has to be last on the list for everything.....maybe I'll load up and go to Texas this weekend. :lol:

Michael11
Thu, Mar-27-08, 19:11
All:

Thou hast no right but to do thy Will.

I *love* this stuff -- it is MUCH better than Canfield's, which is a total flavor monotone -- one note in a chocolate symphony. First-time tasters: do not judge the new Dr. Pepper Chocolate Cherry on the first tickle of your tastebuds. Take a small swallow, and let it go down; notice that aftertaste? Intriguing ... now that you know what to look for, enjoy the rest at will.

I just looked on their website and it stated its only available for a limited time. http://smilies.vidahost.com/otn/sad/frown_2.gif
Well, I phoned them ... they're test marketing. If it sells well, they'll give it a second lease. Everyone go buy a few cases!

I've checked so many different stores looking for this! Where did you all find it?
I've gotten it in 20 oz bottles at a local convenience store, and a grocery store in the Ahold chain (includes Stop & Shop, Giant of Landover, Giant of Carlisle, Martin's Food Markets, Peapod), which says they can get it in in 2 L bottles and cans (the 20 oz bottle contains a coupon for a 12-pack).

I'd suggest just contacting your local grocer and asking them to bring it in; they all get regular trips from their soda reps, so you should get quick service.

Love is the law, love under will.

-Michael

ndw
Sat, Mar-29-08, 21:28
I hate to be a naysayer, but I believe that anything sweetened with aspartame will slow weight loss (especially on a low carb diet). Also, you may want to google "benzene in soda pop" and you will find that the ascorbic or citric acid in soda breaks down the sodium or potassium benzoate into the carcinogenic benzene....(this combonation is typically found in preserved liquids, ie pickles, soda, crystal light)
I would switch to diet tea sweetened with splenda.
And, on a side note, Yuk, Chocolate/cherry diet DP sounds icky!

Ayustar
Sun, Mar-30-08, 21:36
I hate to be a naysayer, but I believe that anything sweetened with aspartame will slow weight loss (especially on a low carb diet). Also, you may want to google "benzene in soda pop" and you will find that the ascorbic or citric acid in soda breaks down the sodium or potassium benzoate into the carcinogenic benzene....(this combonation is typically found in preserved liquids, ie pickles, soda, crystal light)
I would switch to diet tea sweetened with splenda.
And, on a side note, Yuk, Chocolate/cherry diet DP sounds icky!

Has there really been anything founded that it slows weight loss? I drink more diet soda than really anything else, which I know isn't that great. My weight loss was rapid, probably faster than it should have been, and I drank it like it was going out of style. I think this is a more YMMV type of thing. The best way of knowing is to drink it and see if it does anything to the blood sugar, I am going to assume that would be a good place to start.

As for the benzene thing...I think it is no different than saying Aspartame breaks down into frameldahyde in the system...but most of this stuff is junk science. People want to demonize everything.

The flavor of the soda isn't that bad, it does taste like a Toosie Roll though, if you don't like those then yeah, don't bother.

Wed, Apr-16-08, 12:48
I hate to be a naysayer, but I believe that anything sweetened with aspartame will slow weight loss (especially on a low carb diet).

First of all, I've always hated Dr. Pepper. It always tasted like Vicks Cough Syrup to me. So I was very pleasantly surprised when I decided to be open minded about it and try it. Man! I love this stuff! It's great! Since it is a limited edition I bought two case fulls to keep in stock. For me, it's the perfect treat for a chocolate fix.

However, even though I still have some in stock, I've decided to lay off of them because of the aspartame because I'm not sure if it's stalling me. So the only way to tell is to take it out of my LC program for a few weeks to see. If it is stalling me...no problem...my children will happly drink them.

So aside from possible stalling, I have to give the Diet Dr. Pepper Chocolate Cherry Drink a thumbs up. :thup:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r238/AussieTPP/Animated%20Stuff/3cf61eba-1.gif

Dive deeply into who you really are, and have the courage to explore your most treasured dreams. Keep yourself connected to those dreams, and they will play out upon the stage of your life. ~Ralph Marston

Live life abundantly and enjoy yourself in your “Journey To Wellness” because it is by the grace of God that we are able to do so. ~Gail~

Delight yourself in the Lord and He will grant you the desires of you heart ~Psalms 37:4

sonic420
Wed, Apr-16-08, 23:17
I personally love regular diet Dr Pepper but I'm not a fan of either cherry vanilla or chocolate cherry diet Dr Pepper.