PDA

View Full Version : Sugar Free Pudding

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

TomX
Tue, Jan-22-08, 18:56
I was reading about sugar free pudding in an LC recipe book and the author recommended using half heavy cream and half water for the liquid part of the mix. (Just a side not, I found this heavy cream pudding pretty good. It has the texture of a mousse.) Anway, now I know the heavy cream is 0 carbs, depending on the heavy cream, but the author says that the pudding still has 8 grams of carb per serving as stated on the Jello box. I was assuming that the Jello box was factoring in the milk in the finished pudding to calculate the carb count per serving (1/4 cup serving, 8 grams of carb). So, my question is, if the pudding mix is sugar free and no milk is used for the final pudding, then do you think the carb count would still be 8 grams? Is there carb in gelatin? I'm not sure. Can anybody clarify this for me? Thanks.

ellen45
Tue, Jan-22-08, 19:00
It's not gelatin that thickens it, it's cornstarch, which is 100% carbohydrate. There are probably other carb laden thickeners in a processed product like that, too.

LessLiz
Tue, Jan-22-08, 19:37
The carbs on the box are for the box. The nutritional info including additional ingredients is *always* listed "as prepared".

Lisa N
Tue, Jan-22-08, 20:11
I know the heavy cream is 0 carbs, depending on the heavy cream

Although heavy cream may be listed on the carton as zero carbs, you should know that is a 'per serving' count (which for cream is 1-2 tablespoons) and that legally in the us, if a product has less than 1 gram of carb per serving, it can be labelled as zero.
Heavy cream does contain carbs, about 6.5 grams per cup, and that should also be counted in the final pudding when figuring your carb count per serving. :idea:

Renee4LC
Tue, Jan-22-08, 20:40
Although heavy cream may be listed on the carton as zero carbs, you should know that is a 'per serving' count (which for cream is 1-2 tablespoons) and that legally in the us, if a product has less than 1 gram of carb per serving, it can be labelled as zero.
Heavy cream does contain carbs, about 6.5 grams per cup, and that should also be counted in the final pudding when figuring your carb count per serving. :idea:Good to know. I use heavy whipping cream in alot of my recipes and have had almost a 3 month stall...so this might be the culprit.

By the way, I make the pudding mousse too and it can be quite delicious if you augment it with extracts and a little bit of Splenda. But I think I will have to put a limit on the consumption of those treats for awhile.

TomX
Tue, Jan-22-08, 21:46
Damn, ignorance was bliss. I knew it was too good to be true, though. That's why I asked. And here I was thinking I could go crazy with heavy cream. By the way, I figured there wasn't gelatin in pudding mix, but I was at work and couldn't check the ingredients. Anyway, I appreciate all the excellent information. Thanks!