PDA

View Full Version : Blood sugar/Insulin

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

liv
Tue, Mar-05-02, 03:04
Hi! I already posted this in the General Health Issues section and then realized this is a more specific section so I just did a copy/paste and am repeating my question:

I have a time proven problem with carbs and cravings and on the Hellers test I read as an extreme carb addict... I have had this kind of problem for years. So last year I followed the Atkins book advice and took a series of blood tests (the one where you drink glucose and have 8 blood samples taken over 4 hours) but happily the results proved my reaction to sugar normal ...

I don't IMAGINE my problem with carbs: it's really a big thing but was simply wondering about the reason for this if my insulin levels seem normal ... anyone know?

Thanks a lot
Liv

doreen T
Tue, Mar-05-02, 08:12
A glucose tolerance test won't show "cravings potential". It can show whether or not hypoglycemia due to excess insulin production is a problem though .. For some people, the plunging blood glucose of a hypoglycemic episode can be a trigger to eat more carbs. I'm glad for you that the test results were normal, but sorry you had to go through the unpleasantness :(

While there's definitely an emotional cause/effect relationship with carbs happening, the Hellers believe that it's biologically mediated. There are many hormones and neurochemicals involved in carb craving/addiction, not just insulin/sugar. There's an article on our Tips page that gives a brief overview of the biology behind cravings .. click on Low Carb Tips from the orange menu bar near the top of the page, and read Cravings.

Of course, there's a more complete explanation in the Carb Addicts' program book, but they've posted the main points of the definition of carb addiction here (http://www.carbohydrateaddicts.com/neworigin.html).

Doreen

liv
Tue, Mar-05-02, 08:36
Thanks Doreen!

That was very helpful... and yes the experience was horrible, I felt like I'd been stygmatised (low carb martyrdom?) with all those holes in my arms!! Not to mention the horrible fake lemon taste and not being able to drink even a sip of water! Yuck!!

I was a bit worried before because my shakes and sweat attacks can get pretty ferocious and I even collapsed a few times when I couldn't get to sugar fast enough, but it didn't always happen every time .. anyway, whether I lose fat or not this is my WOE for life because I'm free and independent and can work a whole day and go out in the evening and feel good with "only" 7 hours sleep. No mood swings, no crying with no reason, no PMS all month, no brain fog, no colitis and no constant candida!! I never believed it could work but it does ... and on CAD (whether it'll work or not as a diet diet) I can have the things I like and still feel real good!

I am very grateful to this forum and all the very kind people here because I would never have found out about low carbing without you about 2 years ago (is that possible?)... (I was gone but I'm back for a little more help!). And you have often give me a push in the right direction Doreen. I was here under another name (I really don't remember it anymore).

Anyway thanks again to you all. You're all priceless!!!

Liv