PDA

View Full Version : protein shake

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

thinkthin7
Tue, Jan-15-08, 00:30
i really like the atkins shakes, but they get soooo pricey. does anyone have a recipe they use to make their own shake? atkins induction friendly?
im not a big breakfast person and the shakes are PERFECT for someone like me

Culturista
Tue, Jan-15-08, 00:52
I'm not sure if this will work for you, but I use vanilla ultimate whey protein powder, heavy whipping cream, coconut milk, Greek yogurt, and/or mascarpone cheese, ground flax, water and erythritol.

When not strictly very low carb (less than 20 g a day) , I put in a little almond meal, coconut cream, extract such as vanilla, cocoa powder, or berries.

Kristine
Tue, Jan-15-08, 08:53
Here's the Table of Contents (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=213953) to the Breakfast Ideas forum - there are lots of smoothie recipes. :thup:

The most important things for me to have a good protein shake are frozen berries (once you're off induction) and a protein powder that you really like. Nothing will cover up nasty PP. Designer Whey, Body Fortress (the cheap Walmart brand) and Jamieson are brands I've been happy with.

You know what I really like? This'll sound weird, but I prefer PP "pudding" or "mush" with cream cheese, peanut butter (once you're off induction), berries, or whatever. I hate dragging out and cleaning the blender. :)

It's trickier to have a tasty shake on induction, though - ie, observing the limits on dairy, etc.

(ETA) Another thought: if you're not a breakfast person, I wouldn't worry about forcing yourself to eat. The conventional wisdom that "you must eat breakfast" applies mainly to people on the blood sugar roller coaster. Most of us here see no reason to eat when you're not genuinely hungry, unless you're so un-hungry that your intake is dangerously low.

misty1028
Tue, Jan-15-08, 15:13
Caroline's Awsume Low-Carb Shake

This is about *the* most popular shake recipe I've seen online. Caroline says, "It's rich and creamy and yummy and sweet and satisfying, and easier to make than Atkins ice cream.
I promise you won't taste any of the individual ingredients. It can serve as an occasional meal replacement.

Put in blender jar:
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup 2% cottage cheese: I strongly recommend Breakstone's or Knudsen's
1/4 cup pasteurized egg substitute, like "Eggbeaters"
1/4 teaspoon good quality sugar-free vanilla extract (you may need more of the cheap stuff)
1 tablespoon protein powder: whey, soy, egg, whatever you've got on hand
6 Equal tablets, crushed
1 cup crushed ice, or about 7 ice cubes

Cover and blend on low speed for a few seconds, then on high speed for about 30 seconds.
When done it should be thick and smooth.
You can add a touch more water if it's too thick to blend.

This makes a vanilla shake containing roughly 330 calories, 5 CARBS, 21 grams of protein and 25 grams of fat.
If you want/need a bigger shake, use 1/3 of a cup of egg, cheese, water and cream instead of 1/4 cup, and add 3 more ice cubes, 3 more Equal tablets and another tablespoon of protein powder;
that'll give you about 450 calories, 7 CARBS, 34 grams fat and 28 grams of protein.

**Variations: (each addition adds more CARBS, so count them up)!
AS packets: Add 0.9 carb for each packet you use. 1 packet = 2 tablets in sweetness but has about 5 times the carb content.

Coffee (***my absolute favorite***): add a half tablespoon of decaf Folgers' crystals or your favorite instant decaf. You can also substitute strong cold brewed decaf for the water. Adds 1 carb.

Strawberry: add 1/4 cup fresh ripe strawberries. Adds 2.6 CARBS/0.8 fiber.
Chocolate: add 1 tablespoon plain unsweetened cocoa. Adds 3 CARBS/ 1.5 fiber

Out of protein powder? It still tastes great but knocks the protein content down to only 14 grams.

If you are out of egg beaters, then make it without it.
It tastes "WONDERFUL"

I use this recipe all the time and all so devincci low carb syrups for different flavors. Hope this helps. Alot cheaper

montanama
Tue, Jan-15-08, 16:14
I just got this recipe out of First magazine and I'm planning on having them for breakfasts....the article says that mixing soy proteing with whey protein helps to shed pounds....
Use 1 scoop whey protein pwdr (vanilla or chocolate). The one I have has 2 g carbs per scoop
1 cup light soy milk (vanilla or chocolate)1 g carb
and blend with ice.
You can add instant coffee, extracts (they suggest coconut), or 1/4 berries

slimmama
Tue, Jan-15-08, 19:44
or you can buy Whey protein 2kg for 39.99 at costco just add water. 1 carb.

Vajra
Tue, Jan-15-08, 19:47
I really like Zero Carb Isopure for a protein powder. It's made so that even lactose intolerant peeps can use it. What you mix in is up to you depending on how many carbs you have to spend for the day.

Jen

thinkthin7
Wed, Jan-16-08, 00:17
thank you all for the great suggestions :)

carascrv7
Wed, Jan-16-08, 00:27
Any suggestions for a yummy dairy free and low carb shake?

Culturista
Wed, Jan-16-08, 08:19
Almond milk, coconut milk, whole soy protein (or hemp protein), ground flax, erythritol, cocoa powder and vanilla extract is low carb and dairy free!

3shewolf8
Wed, Jan-16-08, 08:32
I have some protein powder but it has enough carbs in it that I would rather eat real food than drink the shake. I did drink it to replace breakfast then decided that scrambled eggs with ham and mushrooms filled me up, was more satisfying and tasted better. I only use it if I am sick and then it is only if I even remember it is there.

LiLiMarie
Wed, Jan-16-08, 19:38
Jay Robb's whey protein powder is the best I've tried and has the best ingredients. No artificial sweeteners, just stevia. Unfortunately, it's also the priciest I've tried. :( But it is working out well for me!