PDA

View Full Version : Are you getting her new book?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

mommy2boys
Mon, Mar-04-02, 17:25
Here is the link to her new book fyi:

The Schwarzbein Principle II : The Next Step on the Metabolic Continuum

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1558749640/qid=1015284143/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_4/104-8862311-2983925

Christy

JudyAH
Tue, Mar-05-02, 01:31
Thanks for the Link. I just ordered it. I'm curious to see the new information.
:wave:

jujubaby
Tue, Mar-05-02, 19:07
hello Judy:

I was looking around for more info on Schwarzbein and wanted to know more about her theory or results she has had w/ almost diabetic or so called insulin resistant persons.

How can some one get to a Dr. that believes in something other than the usual,:

you have to cut calories and increase your activity before you can lose weight?

The only reason why sugarbusters works for people is THEY ARE EATING LESS CALORIES;

ATkins is no good, but if someone loses weight on Atkins it's because they eat less calories.etc. etc. etc.

I'm not looking to eat large amounts of food, but I have been carefully monitoring what I eat this past week, and it seems less than 1200 calories most of the time. My daughter suggested to go to WW and count points while still looking at the sugar contents of food as in SB.

Can you give me the gyst of her principle? I have just read Sugar Busters; Akins, and Hellers carbo addicts diet. and I'm getting more confused again!

Low glycemic eating sounds okay, but when you talk to Diabetic counsels, they really, pooh pooh it all. Went through that today because I needed testing supplies.
Nice people but the explanation I got was that even tho I have low readings , my body is not utilizing the insulin available. All the while I thought the idea was not to get high sugar readings. They say insulin is not available for cell use.

How can they tell? what do I have to monitor to tell I have sufficient insulin production and usage?

fasting blood test is 88 in am.

JudyAH
Wed, Mar-06-02, 02:10
Hi jujubaby,

I'll give it my best shot. I have read all the books you mention except Atkins. I was always under the impression that his method was too radical. One of these days I'll read it for myself. I have been doing this new WOE for just over a month. I am consuming far more calories than I used to. One thing you have to do, is get into the mindset of all of these doctors and proponents of Low Carb, Higher fat and protein. You don't count calories, you count carbs and behave reasonably with the rest of the meal. You will eat 5-6 smaller meals with a balance of carb, fat and protein.

You wrote:
you have to cut calories and increase your activity before you can lose weight?

Sometimes you have to increase your calories. After years of yo yos and starving my self, I have to eat more so my body does not think I am in the midst of a famine. Exercise will play an important role in healing my metabolism.

They all base their theories on the fact that sugar and carbohydrates, (which metabolize in your system like sugar), cause a hormone imbalance. This hormone imbalance causes a myriad of problems, including high colesteral, high blood pressure, type II diabetes and the list goes on. If you reduce the carb rate to a reasonable level, (far less than you might think), you brings these hormones into balance and your body can heal itself.

This is a very simplistic answer, but they all seem to say the same thing when you get to the bottom line. Fat is not the enemy SUGAR IS THE ENEMY. For over 20 years the researchers have been telling us fat causes fat, don't eat fat or you'll get fat. Look around you, I see more heavy and overweight people now than ever.
I still have many questions. I am by no means an expert, But I am trying my best to learn and follow most of SP. Some of her ideas are very difficult to do on a daily basis. Most of her reasons seem to be health related with weight loss being a by-product.( Only cold pressed oils. No artifical sweetners except for Stevia). I do what I can as best I can. She is not into rapid weight loss. 4-6 pound a month is fine with her. She says it is impossible to lose more than 2 pounds a week of fat. When you lose faster you are losing lean mass. Not a good thing. Slow and steady wins the race. She wants to heal your metabolism. It took a long time to damage it, and it will take a long time to fix it according to Schwarzbein.

I feel a lot better. No more mood swings. No more sugar cravings. Must admit I do miss bread, but have found fiber rye Krisps. There are many ideas and areas of this plan I left out. The book is an easy read and very interesting as she tells the stories of her patients and how she helped them to help themselves.

I remember a quote from some one. it says, "IN THE ABSENSE OF CAROHYDRATES, FAT DOES NOT CAUSE WEIGHT GAIN." I don't know if this is right but it is interesting.

Schwarzbein is about balance. Nothing in the extreme. You must have the right amount of carbs for you. This might be different than my needs. She has some guidlines and suggestions for the reader.

I hope this helped.

This list has a lot of info on all of the plans that you can research.

Good Luck

Perk
Sat, Mar-16-02, 22:44
I will be interested to see what her new book says. My doctor recommended Schwarzbein Principle, but he refined it a bit further for me. He told me to read SP to get the basics, and then gave me info about an "amylose-free" diet: no sugar and no starch. This is what the info sheet my doctor gave me says:

"Amylose is found in high concentrations in tubers (below ground vegetables), grains, and unripe fruit. Hot water changes amylose (starch) slowly into smaller molecules called dextrins (sugars). This is not a low carbohydrate diet -- you get plenty of carbohydrates from above ground, non-grain vegetables and ripe fruit."

When I asked my doctor about discrepancies between this diet and the SP (namely that the SP allows little bits of bread and oatmeal and raw carrots, and amylose-free doesn't), he said the amylose-free is from a more recent study and he expected Dr. Schwarzbein would update her book! So I wonder if this is indeed the update.

Some of the studies my doctor showed me are on the internet. Just do a Google search on "amylose-free diet" and you'll find them.

rosarugosa
Sun, Mar-24-02, 17:59
:thup: I am looking forward to it! I am a 'diet book junkie' I must admit. some of my favorites are Suzanne Somer's(I cheat"TSP" with sweeteners sometimes or use her low sugar/level 2 recipes and do not seem to have problems),Michel Montignac, Sugar Busters, and some of Atkins ~ all lower carb/glycemic.I think "TSP" makes more complete sense than any of them though. I saw my self and other (especially women) friends in her examples.

With "TSP" I am actually continuing a weight loss (although slow) and do not feel like I am cheating my health as with other plans.

I have a gift certificate from amazon.com that I am going to use to order it . I was happily surprised to see it coming in paperback to begin with at such an economical price & the others are such a good quality of paperback.

I have the first bk. and want to pick up the cookbooks when I find them in my half price store.

Does anyone else think the cookbooks are worthwhile to buy? It is certainly not difficult to come up with recipes that fit in. Just curious?

Wren
Tue, Mar-26-02, 06:31
Rosa, I don't know if the cookbook is good but I plan to buy it. (I love cookbooks!) I want it for ideas that won't occur to me naturally and I confess for dessert ideas, I miss sweets some days though maybe that will go away.
Jujubaby, I have normal blood sugar levels (fasting 90 - 94) and reasonable post-meal readings (160-180) but high insulin level. Insulin is apparently hard to test for, but there is a protein that accompanies insulin that is easier to test - you may have to see an endocrinologist though. I'm sorry, I don't know what the test is called.
Perk, the amylose-free approach sounds interesting; I will check it out. I am still eating small amounts of cooked carrots because they're in the frozen veggies I have in the freezer; guess I'll have to change my shopping habits further.
Wren

jujubaby
Tue, Mar-26-02, 13:24
Hello guys:

I had been going to a endo fro years and when I left to move to Texas 15 months ago, he said I was not diabetic. A nutritionist that I was seeng said that I was insulin resistance, which is almost saying you are a diabetic because ellegedly your body can't use the insulin, because you are {I am} too fat.
To date I have never had a test where they measured my insulin level in my blood.

I have had loads of glucose tollerance tests, and only one that was seven hours.
That was done by a cardiologyst/friend and he said I either had a delayed insulin reaction or too much insulin since the BS kept going down as time went on.

So, when I say i'm loosing it I mean, my weight fluctates up 3/5 /6 pounds and i never know if I'm losing or not. I'm lossing what it takes to keep on a decent program.

I was never this fat most of my adult life, and now that I"m 70 I feel that the weight will hurt my chances of some longevity my parents had.

Wren
Tue, Mar-26-02, 21:49
Jujubaby,
The thing about insulin resistance is that it makes you fat! The first time I had my insulin level tested, the endocrinologist said, "If you've been feeling bad about your weight, don't. With your insulin this high, there's no way you can lose any, so the thing to do is to reduce your insulin, and don't go below 1500 calories a day." I was amazed at that advice.
I hope you can get hold of the Schwarzbein book, it explains insulin resistance in very clear, simple language and how to move towards a healthier life. I can't do all of it at once but I feel like the changes I've made so far are helping me. My energy is better, I don't have a midafternoon energy slump, and I've lost a few pounds so far.
Wren

jujubaby
Wed, Mar-27-02, 14:26
thanks
I need to get her book.
I'm tired all the time. even now going thru the sites I 'm interested in make me sleepy

DebPenny
Thu, Mar-28-02, 11:31
Rosa, the cookbook is great, but if you want desserts, don't look there. Dr. S. has put NO dessert or sweet recipes in the book. Personally, I like that, it's always been a wasted section for me.

Perk, I'm interested in the amylose-free approach. I'll check it out. But if you are to eat only above the ground veges, what about onions and garlic. I can't cook without onions and garlic. ;-)

:-Deb

PS: I ordered her new book and according to Amazon it will arrive the end of next week or the following Monday.

:daizy:

rosarugosa
Thu, Mar-28-02, 20:03
thanks Deb, I found a copy at the library (the cookbook) and it looks like there are some good recipes. I saw one kind of asian one with peanut butter that sounded good.

I knew it would not contain recipes for desserts. Since starting "TSP" instead of Somersizing I have had less of a desire for desserts, I think because there is such a balance and fruit can be included without all the rules of when to eat it, so I have that for my 'dessert' or sweet. On other diets (especially low fat ones that I had tried before), my sweet tooth was always a problem but not since low carbing!(or at least as much.)

Carrot
Mon, Apr-08-02, 10:27
To Everyone Waiting For Dr.S's new book....

I just spoke to customer service at the publishing firm. They say the new book will not be out till this Fall.

Anyone else get a different message?

JudyAH
Mon, Apr-08-02, 11:18
I checked my order staus at Barnes & Noble and they were expecting it in a few days. I'm bummed. :confused: Guess I'll have to be patient

:wave:

DebPenny
Mon, Apr-08-02, 12:27
I've had that Asian Peanut Butter recipe. It's great! I have converted a lot of her recipes to single-serving, one-pot meals. I am lucky in that I don't have to cook for anyone but myself.

;-Deb

alto
Sat, Apr-13-02, 11:21
I ordered the new Schwartzbein book from Amazon last week and just got a notice from them that it shipped Friday (April 12).

(I'm a Schwartzbein dabbler -- interested in it, but haven't followed that plan yet. Reading deb's journal renewed my interested :) )

Carrot
Sat, Apr-13-02, 12:46
Alto,

Please let me know if you do get the new book. I called and e-mailed the publisher. Both responses were that the new book would not be out till September of 2002. Hope your info is true, cause I can't wait to read it!

Thanks...Carrot

alto
Mon, Apr-15-02, 08:24
I got an email from Amazon this morning that said Schwarzbein II would ship separately. The rest of the order has been shipped. Schwarzbein II still has a delivery date of April 17-18 (that's delivery to me!) So I don't know what's going on!

DebPenny
Sat, Apr-20-02, 23:02
Oh, I hope it doesn't ship in September, I'll be on vacation for most of that month. Yikes!

;-Deb

jujubaby
Sun, Apr-21-02, 13:30
Hi ladies: I went to Barnes and Nobel and picked up several books and ordered her book but was told the same thing, not till Sept.
Picked up her cook book tho and although I'm not really really 100% anything, I still follow good principals of fresh and real foods.
{Also they were out of the first schwarzbein}
My problem at the present time is Gout. I had been taking low dose of Colchine2X daily but I added Cherry extract capsules along with it 2 ~ 3X's. I thought it was helping to prevent the gout from breaking thru the medicine.
After telling my rehumi that's what I had done, she and the intern kicked me out of their practice. They said I was non-compliant and would not treat me any longer.
My rehumi in NY would always welcome what ever I wanted to try in regards to eleviating fibromyalgia and oste-oarthritis pain. He would evaluate what I said, where I heard it from and then advise me. He would say as long as it didn't hurt me and cost excessive amounts of money he suggested to always try what worked for someone else in the hope it would work for me.

Also, the rehumi was guessing about the gout. There were no tests performed that would indicate that I had uric acid in the blood.

So If anyone has the additional problem of gout I would like to know how you handle it. The diet supposedly to elimiate the gout is awful. Additionally, the gout is a metabolic disorder. and I feel there may be something missing from my diet that is causing this condition.
Anyone out there with this??

JudyAH
Sun, Apr-21-02, 14:50
Jujubaby,

What is a rehumi? Is it some kind of alternative medical aid?

DebPenny
Sun, Apr-21-02, 21:41
Jujubaby, I can't believe they kicked you out of their practice for trying to help yourself. They don't deserve to have you as a patient. I won't say what I think should happen to them!

;-Deb