PDA

View Full Version : Can you have too many eggs?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

kelmac
Mon, Mar-04-02, 13:13
I love eggs. LOVE THEM!

Am I going to have a coronary if I eat 6 of them in a day (sometimes more...)?

Kel

doreen T
Mon, Mar-04-02, 13:24
For most people, no you can't eat too many eggs. They're a wonderful source of protein, and the yolk contains naturally saturated fat, lecithin, and vitamin E. You might consider using the Omega eggs, from hens fed flax seed and no animal by-products. These eggs have a good fatty acid profile :thup: Just remember that one large egg has 0.6g carbs ... which is evenly divided between yolk and white.

There's a small % of people who are sensitive to arachidonic acid, a fatty acid that's found in red meat and egg yolks. Sometimes people do better avoiding them if you are suffering from hypertension, elevated cholesterol, fluid retention, or inflammation such as arthritis, bursitis, asthma, allergies and rashes. You can a bit more about this on the Protein Power FAQ's page (http://eatprotein.com/answers6.html#6b).

Doreen

kelmac
Mon, Mar-04-02, 13:33
.6 carbs in an egg eh? I guess that could certainly add up at the rate I'm going.

I'm not eating a lot of veggies (GASP!) though so I allow myself these luxuries. Heck I'm not a huge fan of the greens and I get tired of eating them without my mom's homemade cheese sauce (loaded with milk and flour).

Funny -- just 10 days in and I don't really miss it though.

I had an ultimate test this weekend -- my favorite food -- Humpty Dumpty Chedda'Corns were sitting out, just begging for me to eat them on the table -- and I didn't. Its wild. I'm BAD -- I have no willpower and I resisted.

I'm so proud of myself:)

Bring on the devilled eggs.

Princesspp
Sun, Mar-17-02, 18:59
I've been enjoying my eggs in many different fashions... and was starting to get concerned...

I do take Red Yeast Rice for my cholestrol, and so far that has over ruled the effects of my eggs... I love them, but usually try to limit myself to 2 eggs or egg related items per day... I found the Egg Mockmuffin recipe and have been enjoying modifying that for the last two weeks... works great for quick weekday breakfasts...

Thanks again...

Libbyfcr
Mon, Mar-18-02, 11:12
Aren't home grown eggs much healthier than commercially produced eggs? My understanding is that among other things they are lower in cholesterol. Also, Are commercial chickens given hormones and antibiotics to keep them producing? I have read conflicting information about hormones and antibiotics.

I watched a 20/20 type of show (or 60 Minutes or something) once that said chicken eggs that you buy out of the grocery store can be 120 days old before they must be taken off of the shelf. (eeeewww...this came from the TV... so believe it if you dare)

I have chickens. I can see a HUGE difference in the quality and freshness of one of my eggs when put next to a grocery store egg. ( I only buy store eggs because my husband won't eat them unless they come from a WHITE shell... LOL) My egg yolks are golden-orange in color and stand high and round. My milky egg white stays around the yolk. (old eggs have runny,clear whites and flat pale yolks) Mine taste better too.

Also..... some of those really nice dark brown eggs that you find in the grocery store are DYED. ( I know this to be true because we bought some once and the coloring came off when we boiled them.)

Food for thought......
Libby

Libbyfcr
Mon, Mar-18-02, 12:47
http://www.governmentguide.com/govsite.adp?bread=*Main&url=http%3A//www.governmentguide.com/ams/clickThruRedirect.adp%3F55076483%2C16920155%2Chttp%3A//www.fda.gov

I have been looking for more info on eggs. The above link is the one I think was most helpful. I looked in quite a few places and found some conflicting info. This is what I discovered:

1. antibiotics and hormones. I found different claims in different places so I don't know what to believe.

2. Cholesterol. The above site says this; "Nutrition claims that Araucuna eggs contain less cholesterol than other eggs haven't been proven"
.......and then I go somewhere else and read just the opposite. I don't know... they can't spell the breed, so maybe they don't know what they are talking about.

3. Dating of Cartons; (from above site) "Egg cartons with the USDA Grade Shield on them must display the "pack date" (the day the eggs were washed, graded, and placed in the carton) The number is a three-diget code that represents the consecutive day of the year (the "Julian Date") starting January 01 as 001 and ending with December 31 as 365.

Yes...... I can wait while you run to your fridge to look for the date on your egg carton. LOL.... I know... I did it too.

4. What makes hard cooked eggs hard to peel? "The fresher the egg, the more difficult to peel" The above site lists the reasons why.

I never did find anything that could tell me just how long an egg could go from the time it was laid to the time it is taken off the shelf in the grocery store.

I think I could write an egg-novel now. Sorry it got so long but I have always wondered what is in my eggs and how old they are.

Libby :wave:
(who will eat her eggs even if she sprouts feathers)

donna916ga
Sun, Oct-21-07, 12:06
Just notices this thread. I ate eggs alot because i liked them and knew they were a good source of protein. A cholestral test at 55 revealed my cholestral was 885, I did not think it was possible to be that high. This was the result of the health fair at work and i thought the little girl did not know what she was talking about. I went to a doctor and it was true. He put me on 2 statin drugs which i only took for a week. I haven't been back to the doc. I'm 61 now and went for a free test and it was only 244. I do not eat egg yolks at all, never anymore.

Gostrydr
Sun, Oct-21-07, 19:14
Eggs do not increase ones cholesterol..they are an amazing food.

Why do we worry about an itty bitty egg and then take Statins?

Bodybuilders of old ate 3 dozen eggs a day along with cream,butter and steak and had no problems what so ever.

As far as the yolks go,they are the best part of the egg, the whites are basically protein, but the yolk contains all the great stuff..the yolks are the source of life.

Time and time again, I have seen people with high cholesterol on a fat free diet, no eggs, butter or red meat.

I politely suggest that they add these back to their diets and what happens?

It goes down almost everytime without fail.

Take away cholesterol and your body will produce more and more of it.

BTW the best eggs on the planet if you have no free -range chickens..

Golden Hill eggs which can be found at Trader Joes

donna916ga
Sun, Oct-21-07, 21:18
egg yolks have a high level of cholestral that is why I personally can't have them. Also when I eat the yolk part I have light flashes in my eyes like lightening. I have tried to add one yolk at at time and I get the flashing. I get enough protein from fish and chicken. I totally agree that eggs are one of the best ways to get good nourshment and I highly recommend them to anyone that does not have my problem. I just don't want to lose my eyesight, my case is unusual and probably should not have spoke in general terms. I think that my liver is not processing cholestral like it should. If you have no medical problems enjoy eggs, they are good for you and I love them. After all I ate them for 60 years.
Thanks for reading.

kebaldwin
Mon, Oct-22-07, 07:42
eggs are suppose to be natures most perfect food because of all the amino acids in them, sulphur, fatty acids, etc

Aren't home grown eggs much healthier than commercially produced eggs?
Yes - Organic / free range / home grown eggs are much better than the regular eggs

I eat nine eggs every morning for the last five years - and there's nothing wrong with me :-)

Bring on the devilled eggs.
Be careful about what they put into egg recipes ... i would not worry about the carbs and cholesterol in eggs - I would worry about the mayonnaise and other stuff they might put in them

0.6 carbs in an egg eh? I guess that could certainly add up at the rate I'm going.
don't worry about it - all the other benefits greatly out weigh a few carbs

I'm not eating a lot of veggies (GASP!)
I don't either. Keep on eating a ton of eggs and meat - and you will start packing on the muscle. Muscle men have known this for a long time.

MandalayVA
Mon, Oct-22-07, 07:51
There's a small % of people who are sensitive to arachidonic acid, a fatty acid that's found in red meat and egg yolks. Sometimes people do better avoiding them if you are suffering from hypertension, elevated cholesterol, fluid retention, or inflammation such as arthritis, bursitis, asthma, allergies and rashes. You can a bit more about this on the Protein Power FAQ's page (http://eatprotein.com/answers6.html#6b).

Doreen

Actually I asked Dr. Mike Eades about arachidonic acid on his blog a few months ago and he replied that they put that in the book before they did more research and they've since learned that it means nothing. I'll try to find the thread if I'm able.

And there might be a missing decimal point--an egg has .6 carbs, generally stated as 1 in the nutritional info.

kebaldwin
Mon, Oct-22-07, 07:59
And there might be a missing decimal point--an egg has .6 carbs, generally stated as 1 in the nutritional info.

Thank you - I have corrected my typo - you know what they say about typos in health forums ?

MandalayVA
Mon, Oct-22-07, 08:40
Thank you - I have corrected my typo - you know what they say about typos in health forums ?

LOL, I'm just anal. :D