PDA

View Full Version : Salmon?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

thatgirl
Sun, Mar-03-02, 16:41
Hi,

I got brave and bought salmon today for the first time ever, and have no idea how to cook it. I don't eat ANY seafood/fish at all, and have no idea what salmon even tastes like...soooo, anyone know of a good easy way to make it that would include a lot of flavour? How long do you cook it for? In the oven? On the stove??

I bought canned tuna the other week, but haven't been brave enough to try that yet...

I'm trying to broaden my food tastes, so hopefully I can slowly wean myself onto seafood.

Oh, and would anyone know how long salsa stays good for in the fridge?

Thanks in advance,

Thatgirl.

Karen
Mon, Mar-04-02, 00:02
Good for you to be trying new things! Here is a very basic salmon recipe. It's for a filet or a steak.

Put the filet on a big piece of tinfoil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, squeeze some lemon, add a big chunk of butter and sprinkle with dill. Close the tinfoil securely, leaving some "headroom". Bake in a preheated 350 F oven for 15 minutes, and let sit for a few minutes before opening the package.

Is the salsa fresh or jarred?

Karen

thatgirl
Mon, Mar-04-02, 08:08
Hi Karen,

Thanks for the reply. Looks like I did fairly well figuring out how to make it, as that's exactly how I did it -- aside from the dill. Unfortunately, I burned my hand on the baking rack in the process. :( I just hope it doesn't leave a scar.

As for the salsa, it's jarred. It has no expiration dates on it or anything, and I just started using salsa more frequently (enough to actually buy a jar), so I'm not really familiar with signs of salsa going bad.

Thanks again!

Karen
Mon, Mar-04-02, 10:37
It will smell and taste sour and might even bubble if it's gone bad.

Two weeks is a safe bet.

Karen

reneny
Mon, Mar-04-02, 11:17
I love salmon. I blacken mine. I use blackening seasoning from the store. Or cajun seasoning. Expensive or cheap doesn't matter much to me but if you are picky, use I think it is Paul Prudhomme's (sorry, can't remember his name and wouldn't be able to spell it if I could). He is a chef and his is great. Not sure on the carb counts.

I usually either dip the salmon fillet or steak in melted butter or spray with olive or canola oil. Then, I lightly dust the fillet/steak with the seasoning. I fry in a non-stick pan on both sides until fish is flaky. Sometimes, I add butter to fry in as well.

My other variation is using sesame oil and dusting with sesame seeds.

I usually make this on the weekend and portion up to have as an accompaniment (??) to salad or IN the actual salad. Very lush tasting.

JudyAH
Tue, Mar-05-02, 01:44
I like the simple aproach to really good salmon. My favorite for flavor is West Coast. The Atlantic is usually farm raised and doesn't have the flavor. Grill it on the BBQ or in the kichen. I coat it with a little olive oil and then lightly salt and pepper. Put it on a hot grill Let it get nice and brown before you turn it. Depending on the thickness about 1 inch is 6-7 miutes per side. I usually use steaks and not fillets, but either works perfectly well. After the fish is cooked dress it with a really good balsamic vinegar. (Trader Joes has one with a red label that is geat for the price). I put my balsamic in one of those kitchen mister bottles, so I don't use too much and still get good coverage on the food. I hope you enjoyed your first salmon. Bon Appetite.

nelso117
Tue, Mar-05-02, 12:28
I must say that I too never ate seafood before, other than trying a shrimp or two. Well, I've become quite the seafood fan. Haven't gotten into things that taste too "fishy", but I'm coming along. Just another thing this diet has done for me. Now I love salmon almost as much as chicken...nothing beats a burger though! One good thing about fish is you just don't use buns for them ever(unless fish'wich) so you never feel like you're changing or missing out. Fish is just like a steak...slap it on my plate!

aim1616
Tue, Mar-05-02, 18:28
1st off--thank you for asking the question because I didn't think to ask it- I just kept avoiding fish because I was scared on how to cook it. I love fish though. Especially lox & cream cheese!!!

I whipped up some tuna (minus my beloved onions! I miss them) and scooped them up with pork rinds--yummy.

Amy :wave:

Mike
Fri, Mar-08-02, 21:07
I love salmon as well. I cook it several different ways and it's always great.

My two favorites are Blackend(what's been described above, although I vary it with different chilis, olive oil, etc..), and an oriental style.

I marinade a filet in soy, olive oil, herbs, and garlic for about 10 mins(doesn't take long, definitely don't do it over night). I grill it on the bbq, skin side down(I use fillets so I have left overs). I also normally cut the fillet in a few pieces 3 inches wide, so you can take the thinner pieces off the fire a little sooner. It's normally 4 minutes per side. Then I'll put a bit of sesame oil and seeds on it, or some wasabi.

With left overs, I soften cream cheese and put it in the blender with the leftovers(minus the skin) and it's fantastic as a spread on celery, or just by itself for breakfast.

Another seafood you should check out is snow crab. Steam them for a bit, and dip the meat in butter or butter with some herbs. Just awesome...

Mike

GatorGal93
Tue, Aug-13-02, 09:54
I learned a lot about how to cook salmon here on this post. Thank you.

I never really cared for salmon until recently. Now, I need to figure out how to cook it.

Can someone please tell me how to cook salmon filets (I have no grill) in the oven or on the stove in a fry pan? I put other fish in foil and bake them in the oven, but I like my salmon VERY well done. I would prefer it overcooked to moist.

I tried to cook a filet on the stove in a pan recently, and I just couldn't get the center the way I like it. It was very thick. The outside grilled very nicely and was quite yummy with Atkins BBQ sauce, but the middle was too moist.

Thank you in advance for teaching this rookie cook. :lol:

Julie

Karen
Tue, Aug-13-02, 12:01
You can season it the same way and just bake it without the tinfoil. Or, if you start it in a frying pan, put the whole frying pan in the oven to finish it off.

Karen

Lunula
Fri, Aug-23-02, 14:02
Everything is yummy when grilled... mmmmmm....

I make fish all the time - it sucks up marinades pretty quick, so we soak it for an hour or so and then put it on the grill (just make sure it's clean and not too hot, or the fish will stick!). Also, I use my George Foreman grill a lot when I can't get outside - works great!

Some people seem scared of grilling fish... just takes some experimenting, it is different than cooking a steak!

My husband loves marinading everything in Spiedie Sauce, I find it too over-powering for fish, however. I normally just add olive oil, red-wine vinegar, lemon juice, low-sodium soy sauce, garlic, tarragon & dill... so yummy. I also baste the fish while it's grilling.

Might want to try tuna steaks, as well. My husband likes those because they are much "lighter" tasting (he thinks salmon is too "fishy") - just watch out for anything that has been frozen - it can get really fishy-tasting (and your kitchen will smell for days!).

JudyAH
Sat, Aug-24-02, 00:39
Frozen Fish is not necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes the freshest fish available is frozen. If you go to the grocery store to by "fresh Fish, you don't always know how long it took to get to market. many of the larger fish companies freeze the catch at the point of the catch, while they are still at sea. Now that is fresh fish. I saw an interesting story about this a few years back on one of the news magzines.
:wave: