PDA

View Full Version : New member

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

karatex
Sat, Dec-29-07, 21:14
Hi Everyone,

I just joined and hope I may join the TOFF - I am over 70 and have been off and on Atkins for years. I'm ready to start again and hope I can stay on a low carb lifestyle with the help of this forum!

I have COPD and exercise on the treadmill. However, for the past 2 months I have been going to Pulmonary Rehabilitation where I exercise continuously on various machines for 2 hours! There are therapists there who monitor our heart rates, breathing and oxygen level. I listen to books on tape while on the treadmill - the only way I can tolerate the boredom of the TM!. I like mysteries - Clive Cussler, John Grisham, Michael Connelly, and of course Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series - they are a hoot!

I would like to lose 70 - 80# - I know my breathing would improve, but am also concerned about "loose" skin. If I were younger I would like to lose 100# but don't think that is feasible at my age.

Happy New Year everyone!

karatex

CalifDM
Sun, Dec-30-07, 02:53
WELCOME!!! I wish you the best of luck! I'm new also, and this forum should be great support for us. It's going to be a great year!

karatex
Sun, Dec-30-07, 09:10
Thanks for the welcome!

karatex

K!D
Wed, Jan-02-08, 20:16
I'm new here, too, and have never been in this sort of site. Takes a bit of figuring out, for me. What's COPD? I like the idea of using a disc whilst treading. Where do get them? It is something that you are good two hours in a gym. I could never hack that. 'Course you are still pretty young. I'm eighty-six and look back at seventy as a pretty frisky age.
The trick to keeping it up is keeping it up, or so they tell us.

karatex
Thu, Jan-03-08, 19:05
Hi K!D,

COPD stands for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease - or emphysema. I am 75 but not too frisky! (I am on oxygen 24/7). I finished my rehab today and have lost 18# of body fat, however I still weigh the same. They say it is now muscle and muscle weighs more than fat.

The director of the rehab place gave me a low carb diet that she received a few days ago while attending some kind of conference. I think more and more people are recognizing the value of low carb!

I get books on tape (or cd) from the library, buy used ones online (and then resell), etc. I use a Walkman for cassette tapes or a portable CD player for CDs. When I can afford it I would like to get an IPod as I understand you can download books to it - all this technology is so confusing!

Due to circumstances beyond my control I was not able to start my low carb life this week as planned - now Saturday is my target date.

karatex

Donna56
Mon, Jan-07-08, 20:56
You guys are an inspiration! Good luck! I have just started on the forum myself.

SissyPoo
Sat, May-17-08, 17:01
I am new also, can I join you to?