PDA

View Full Version : celery spaghetti

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

donnaj
Fri, Mar-01-02, 19:16
I can't believe I found this in a weight watcher cookbook but I tried it tonight and I was very surprise.
You take 3 ribs of celery(1.5 carb) each
boiling water
salt

Cut the celery ribs into long thin strands the size of large spagetti
Lay the celery in a large sausepan and pour 1 1/2 quart of boiling water. Add salt to taste. Bring to a boil and cook about 10 minutes until the strands are limp. Drain and serve with any pasta sauce.

I was very surprise that it did not have the celery taste. The color reminds me of spinach noodles my mom used to make.

I am going to try it with meat sauce the next time I fix it.

Donna :wave:

motis
Sun, Jan-21-07, 17:03
My hubby and I just had this for dinner with shrimp and alfredo sauce and I have to just say WOW! This was fabulous! My hubby HATES celery and he loved it! Thanks so much for the idea! There was no celery taste and the texture was wonderful.

SSin-Deb
Tue, Jan-30-07, 13:23
Thanks for posting this donnaj ~ I'm definitely going to give it a try. I've been eating this way for 6 years now and I've never heard of this! *Ü*

Iowagirl
Tue, Jan-30-07, 15:06
I tried this the other day. Not bad. Certainly cheaper than lc versions of pasta.

cnmLisa
Sat, Feb-03-07, 19:55
I also have tried this twice.

Love that it increases my veg and fiber.

This is a keeper.

potatofree
Sat, Feb-03-07, 20:58
Isn't it kind of stringy? I ask because the thing I detest about celery is the way you get fibery strings in your teeth, or I'd try this.

cnmLisa
Sat, Feb-03-07, 21:08
Yeah a bit stringy but not even close to raw--try it and see if you can stand it. If it's too much for you, just de-string it before cutting it in strips.

Iowagirl
Sun, Feb-04-07, 09:31
I second that - I don't like the stringy stuff, either, Tater but you can just throw the strings away when you are cutting it. It doesn't get any 'stringier' after cooking.

Annie1gi
Sun, Feb-04-07, 09:39
Hey, this sounds interesting. After trying those shirataki noodles (YUCK), it has to be better than that! :thup:

eris
Sun, Feb-04-07, 10:23
I think I may have to try this. Thank you.

foxgluvs
Sun, Feb-04-07, 10:36
What an excellent idea! Thanks for sharing :)

cnmLisa
Sun, Feb-04-07, 18:55
So I'm wondering....

Does anybody have an idea of an easier way to slice the celery into nice even strips? My french green bean cutter didn't make the cut (pardon the pun;) )

Lisa

cnmLisa
Thu, Feb-15-07, 11:41
So I've made this at least 3X/week since I read the original post. I am a pasta addict--low carb, high carb and I must say that this REALLY does take care of the pasta jones;)

I've made it a couple of ways--mixed with Dreamfields and celery alone. I am HOOKED. I get my "pasta" back into my life at least 3-4 times a week!!

If anyone thinks this is wierd or is hesitant to try it--I say go for it.

I've tried it by cutting very thin with a knife and have tried using a vegetable peeler. I think I like it better when I cut it thin with a knife. I bring the water to boiling and boil the celery for 5 minutes, then add the Dreamfields (if I'm using it) and boil for another 9 minutes. This makes the celery totally limp and a perfect sauce vehicle. And, NO stringyness!

Donna, thank you soooo much for this great idea--I would have NEVER thought of it!!!

OBTW--and celery is soooo much cheaper than Dreamfields.

Lisa

kevinpa
Thu, Feb-15-07, 14:02
So I'm wondering....

Does anybody have an idea of an easier way to slice the celery into nice even strips? My french green bean cutter didn't make the cut (pardon the pun;) )

Lisa

A mandolin slicer works great Lisa.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e352/kevinpa/DSC00001.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e352/kevinpa/DSC00002.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e352/kevinpa/DSC00003-1.jpg

TX Stacy
Thu, Feb-15-07, 14:24
I found this as well a long while ago in WW Book. ;)

Works great.

So does spaghetti squash. ;)

I have a salad xpress and the grater for cheese works as well as the slicer.

W/Slicer I only have to cut again once.

These are also great for casseroles!! {To take the place of pasta.}

The only time I mainly use the LC pasta is for my homemade hamburger helpers bc I really need the thick elbow noodles.

If you have crock-pot meals that call for pasta, the celery/squash works great as well.

Add the last 20 min. of cooking time though.

My crock-pot Pepper Steak tastes awesome with the celery spaghetti!

Iowagirl
Thu, Feb-15-07, 15:44
I think the celery has fewer carbs but you're right, spaghetti squash is awesome.

I've never seen a mandolin slicer - very cool!

cnmLisa
Thu, Feb-15-07, 15:46
I prefer the celery MUCH more than spagetti squash (and I love spagetti squash).

Kevin--you and I are on the same wave length. I was looking a mandolins this morning, and then I came home and read your reply:wave:

TX Stacy
Thu, Feb-15-07, 16:12
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/StacyH/Forum%20Smileys/thjan1612.gif

We should also turn this into a Celery Spaghetti Recipe thread.

What do ya think? http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/StacyH/Forum%20Smileys/thshrug.gif

Everyone could share the recipes they have tried.

Share pics to. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/StacyH/Forum%20Smileys/15.gif

fatgrace
Thu, Feb-15-07, 22:39
what is Dreamfielsd????

TX Stacy
Thu, Feb-15-07, 23:09
http://www.dreamfieldsfoods.com/images/box_elbows.jpg

It's Low Carb Pasta's..;)

Check out their site. dreamfieldsfoods.com

Iowagirl
Fri, Feb-16-07, 06:05
I have heard mixed reviews about the Dreamfield's. Some folks love it, others say it is pretty gross. Don't know.

I made the celery spaghetti the other day and put some leftover meatloaf on top with extra spaghetti sauce. Mmmm. Sorry, no picture. I ate it all.

Wildflowr6
Fri, Feb-16-07, 08:10
I have heard mixed reviews about the Dreamfield's. Some folks love it, others say it is pretty gross. Don't know. To me, Dreamfield's tastes just like regular, high carb pasta - but it doesn't spark the carb monster cravings like the regular stuff. I love it! However, I am totally intrigued by the celery pasta and will definitely try it sometime this week!

wannadanc
Sun, Feb-25-07, 13:14
You guys are taking me down roads unimagined!!!!

I abhor celery - with deeply buried memories of my mother making creamed celery on toast...........so the flavor and texture of cooked celery is a road no longer traveled .........until now.

I WILL try this .............thank you.

For someone who seldom ate non-starchy vegetables, I am making some amazing transitions here.

Vicki :yum:

Calianna
Sun, Feb-25-07, 13:28
What an intrigueing idea, using celery in place of pasta - I"ll have to try it!

What I usually use instead of pasta is zuchinni or yellow squash, cut in thin strips with a julienne peeler, or shredded with a salad shooter or food processor. Then I saute it lightly in a little olive oil, just enough to make it slightly limp.

Makes "squash-ta" ;)

SSin-Deb
Sun, Feb-25-07, 13:37
I guess I'm the odd man out... I used my julienne peeler and while still time consuming - it did a nice job of getting very thin strips.

However, neither my husband or I cared for this. I was really excited as the aspect of this recipe - but it actually left me with an upset stomach. Unfortunately I won't be making this again.

Such a great idea though and I'm glad to hear that it has worked for so many! *Ü*

Honeyrose
Tue, Mar-13-07, 19:23
Just browsing around and came across this thread. I miss eating spaghetti so I will definately try this. One quesiton though. Do you think this wiould work in a tuna casserole?

SSin-Deb
Tue, Mar-13-07, 20:37
Hi Honeyrose ~ I know I'm the odd one in that I didn't care for this. So, my advice would be to try the recipe as is and see if you like it before using it as part of another recipe... *Ü*

Iowagirl
Wed, Mar-14-07, 06:32
Just browsing around and came across this thread. I miss eating spaghetti so I will definately try this. One quesiton though. Do you think this wiould work in a tuna casserole?

Great idea!

muffles
Thu, Sep-20-07, 20:56
This sounds bizarre... but I'm going to buy some celery and give it a go! Hope I'm among the majority that liked it!

kelrivas
Thu, Oct-18-07, 13:55
oh my gosh that is a great idea. I have not made tuna casserole in YEARS.

runssssssssssssss to the store... :)

Lynnx
Thu, Oct-18-07, 14:36
I make fettucini-like noodles with zucchini sliced up with a potato peeler. No need to cook it either! Just add hot pasta sauce and stir...perfect aldente.

Iowagirl
Thu, Oct-18-07, 15:20
I found a recipe for zucchini alfredo and it was awesome! Used up a lot of that squash my mother in law kept bringing over, too. :)

LowCarbV
Thu, Aug-19-10, 07:16
I saw the name of the post and had to read this recipe. Great idea! I will try it out and let you know what I think. Thanks for sharing!

Sat, Aug-21-10, 14:50
What an awesome idea! I have 4 boxes of different types of Dreamfield pasta in my pantry, but at this stage of the game I'm running from them like the dixins because I've been very successful so far & I just don't want to take the chance with them stalling me out as I still need to lose an additional 50 lbs by the end of the year.

So anyway I was wondering what to do with the bunch of celery in my fridge before it ends up going bad. Looks like this may be a good idea. I'm just going to do one stalk cut up though as a test just in case I don't care for it as I don't want to ruin the whole bunch.

Another thought would be to use the cut up celery strands in a stirfry to take the place of udon noodles. I'm loving that idea too.