PDA

View Full Version : Protein Sources

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

rhubarb
Fri, Mar-01-02, 10:03
Hi, Everyone

I’d love to know what you all are eating for protein sources. I find myself eating a lot of eggs, simply because they’re easy and inexpensive. Things like “phony baloney” and other imitation meats are pretty much out because they’re way too high in sodium – something I really have to watch in my diet.

Sometimes I wish I could simply take a “protein pill” so I could grab a piece of fruit now and then without thinking about it! I’ve actually contemplated buying those fillable veggie-gel caplets available at health food stores, and filling them with protein powder! Seems like there should be a better solution, though, and I’d rather eat real food.

Suggestions?

Rhubarb
[a.k.a. Barbara]

lupine
Fri, Mar-01-02, 14:02
Welcome to the forum. I am not a vegetarian, but I do get sick of meat or eggs every meal and I have recently started to add alot of soy protein to my diet. I am also on the zone and was glad to have someone to talk with that is using the same plan.

I found the Zone was almost impossible for me to do until I started using soy protein. For breakfast I have yogurt/fruit smoothies with added soy protein. For a snack at night, I often have berries with added soy protein. I regularly eat soy burgers and tempeh creations for dinner.

Have you read the Soy Zone by Dr. Sears? It is very informational and I bet it is right down your alley if you are a vegetarian.

Keep in touch with how things are going.

scg
Fri, Mar-01-02, 19:23
I've been having the same problem with protein. I eat eggs and cheese, but I have never liked the taste of eggs so I prefer to eat them mixed with lots of other things and not alone.
I've been doing the smothie with protein powder (veg or soy) every morning. I've also started adding a spoonful of protein powder to my cooking.
Smart Dogs (tofu hot dogs) are really good and low in carbs and fat. They are 45 cals each and pretty much solid protein. They taste salty so Im sure their sodium count is pretty high, but it might be worth having one or half of one a day just to get the neccesary protein.
This is the first time in my life that I kinda wish I ate meat! At least then I'd have some choices :)
Suzy

starlite
Sat, Mar-02-02, 22:56
Peanut butter is a great source of protein. Otherwise you can get protein powder you can add to recipes like pancakes and such and of course, tofu was mentioned, wasn't it. Ummm...

There's Wheat Berries - They're whole wheat kernels, high in protein and fiber if you could find a way to incorporate them into some recipes. They're available year round but you do have to soak them 8 hours, then cook them for an hour and then you can use them in things like pilafs and casseroles or as an alternative to croutons in salads - like that. You do have to add them TO something..lol. They're very high gluten so it's like chewing on cartilage if you try to eat them plain - eww! Lol.

Then there is Seitan - this is a meat substitute. It is made from wheat gluten and is quite high in protein and low in fat. It has a delicously chewey, meaty texture and can be used in almost any stew, soup, stroganoff, etc.

I do have a recipe for a high protein snack but again, it has PB in it. Well, I'll post it in the event anyone is interested!

After School Protein Snack
1 cup crunchy peanut butter
1 cup honey
1 cup powdered milk
Cracklin' Bran cereal

1 Mix Peanut Butter, Honey and Milk untill well blended.
2 Will be dry enough to handle; to roll into bit-size balls.
3 Take you favorite cereal and one at a time roll into center of just enough Mixtuer to cover.
4 Rolls should be about the size of a quarter.
5 Put into covered dish and keep in fridge forl snacking.

Well, I hope something in here helps! I've been where you are and its frustrating, I know!

Dandi
Sat, Apr-06-02, 18:11
Have any of you tried using nuts for protein in place meats?

Today, on the Net, I read an article about using nuts for protein. I wish I'd saved the website, but didn't.

The article suggested that a person on a high-protein, high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet replace some of the bacon and eggs, high fat cheeses and meats, etc., with nuts.

It repeatedly referred to having daily 2-3 ounces of nuts. And it mentioned in particular: almonds, walnuts or macadamia nuts. So we're talking about very limited amounts.

I remember Dr. Bernstein limiting nuts according to the carbs in them. The amount per serving varied a great deal from one type of nut to another type. And Dr. Bernstein also pointed out that none of his patients could limit their intake of nuts. It isn't easy. So far I've been able to do so by counting out just 12 almonds into a separate container and keeping the rest put away. And when I eat the nuts, I eat them with other foods which adds satisfaction value. I like raw celery and almonds together.

The article had some good things to say about nuts in their effect upon the body, in regard to the heart, to blood pressure, to the cholesterol level, weight loss and that they reduce cancer risk.

But the article didn't indicate how much protein a person might get for a serving of nuts. I'd be interested in knowing that.

Kristine
Mon, Apr-08-02, 12:02
Lessee... other than eggs...

(Speaking of eggs, I just graduated from eggs to a chicken leg for making 50 posts! :D )

- LOTS of cheese! I'm a cheese-o-holic - I just try to watch the carbs.
- Tofu - I just slice it up and sautee it with some veggie spray, then toss it on salads or whatever.
- So-Soya, which I think I already mentioned in your thread about low-sodium protein. :)
- Tuna. Nice quick snack, lotsa protein. There are probably low-sodium varieties.