PDA

View Full Version : Is weight my problem or just a symptom?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Betsy
Thu, Feb-28-02, 00:37
When I got on the scale and saw I had reached 199.5 I had a choice to make; fall into depression, throw out the scale, or apply what I know as a therapist to my own problem. If I were counseling someone else I wouldn't just ask them about food intake, I'd be asking them what food represents to them. What needs are being met for them in food? What are you trying to fill up in your life by eating? Because unless they address the WHY, the reason behind their eating, they will eventually sabatoge their progress in any weight loss program. So that is what I had to do, begin asking the Why questions and finding the answers. Food isn't my problem, hiding in food is my problem. Can anyone else relate?

Karen
Thu, Feb-28-02, 01:02
I think almost everyone can relate to some degree. Now, whether anyone wants to tackle that aspect is another story. ;)

Like you, I don't think that any real progress can be made unless you are willing to fully explore and make changes within yourself. Otherwise, you're just treading water!

Welcome to the forum Betsy!

Karen

liv
Thu, Feb-28-02, 01:46
Hi Betsy!!

In my experience I think it's a kind of double thing ... while I was still eating "normally" (high carb), any kind of emotional thing wouls start me eating: an argument for instance or even good things like being particularly happy about something ... any emotional overload. Since I've been lowcarbing this doesn't happen anymore (at least very rarely) .... so through eating what's right for me I solved my emotional problem with food, too!!

So, you might say, why do I often fall off the wagon? Because food is always good, whether it's emotional or not... however happy I am LCing (and I suppose I can speak for everyone) I'd be far happier eating what I like when I like ...

Hope this helps..
Good luck facing your emotions ... and your temptations...

Liv

offdawagon
Fri, Mar-01-02, 13:07
Hi Betsy! If you've read through the CALP you know that the Heller's are describing a metabolic condition known as hyperinsulemia. The body's overreaction to carbs by an overflow of insulin is the cause of your addiction. I agree with the Heller's...the weight is a symptom. In my case, I was astounded at how many things normally associated with the WEIGHT were actually affected by the insulin levels...blood pressure, swelling, inability to sleep. Withing the first two weeks, after only minimal weight loss, most of my chief complaints in those areas resolved themselves. The weight took care of itself. These are only my own observations, Betsy, but I'm stickin to em! Best of luck to you! :wave:

amyjeanap
Fri, Mar-01-02, 13:56
I readily agree that I have an addiction to food as a buffer between me and the world. Whenever I feel anything uncomfortable I I run to the kitchen in search of a feel good food. I would love to explore as to why I do this but I don't have the resources. And you are so right... Ihave been sabotoging myself for days now and having a realy struggle. I just am not sure what to do...