PDA

View Full Version : What is American Cheese

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

LCSue
Fri, Apr-06-01, 13:27
Sorry to be such a pain, folks. I have noticed that many of the low-carb recipes call for American cheese, usually cubed and then melted in a casserole or soup. What is 'American' cheese? Are they referring to Velveeta?

TIA

doreen T
Fri, Apr-06-01, 14:56
Ilovecheese.com defines American cheese as pasteurized process cheese. From the U. Nebraska Dept. Agriculture cheese guide -Pasteurized rocess cheese is made by blending new and aged lots of the same or different varieties of natural cheese. An emulsifier is added and the cheese is pasteurized to stop further curing. The process provides uniformity and keeping quality.
Process cheese is the cheese to use if you want uniform flavor, consistency and cooking quality. Because it contains an emulsifier, it will melt smoothly and quickly without becoming stringy. Among the flavors of process cheese are mild, medium and sharp American, American pimiento, Swiss, brick and Limburger. So, yes, Velveeta is American cheese. According to the USDA, it has 0.5 carb gms per oz.

hope this helps

Doreen

LCSue
Fri, Apr-06-01, 16:20
hope this helps

Perfectly. Thanks so much, you are a peach, Doreen.

doreen T
Fri, Apr-06-01, 16:28
Ya, I always knew I was a little fuzzy!

:D
Doreen