PDA

View Full Version : just starting!!!!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

hjsmom
Mon, Feb-25-02, 08:55
Someone please help me get started, i really want to lose weight, i just need help starting!!!!!!hjsmom

Libbyfcr
Mon, Feb-25-02, 15:35
Have you read The Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program? by Richard & Rachael Heller

It is my favorite.

My suggestion would be to visit your local library. Although I follow the Heller's program I also have read other Low-Carb books. We are all a little different and what works for one may not work for another.

With best wishes,
Libby

hjsmom
Mon, Feb-25-02, 16:25
thanx libby!!!!Can you give me some low carb ideas?

Stormy
Mon, Feb-25-02, 16:47
Hello, hjsmom. . .

Looks like you and I have similar starting weights, similar heights, and similar past failures. Maybe we can "nudge" each other along!

My first suggestion would be to buy, or at least go to the library and borrow, a copy of The Carbohydrate Addicts Lifespan Program. When I read this book for the first time, I felt it had been written for me alone.

All the wonderful people here on the boards will be more than happy to give you "tips" for low-carb eating, but you really need to learn the basics by reading and re-reading the book.

The best tip I can give you to help you get started is: drink lots of water! I spent two weeks before my "official" start of the program preparing myself by easing off on the sweets and breads, and increasing my water intake. This helped me tremendously to give the program a good start.

Second tip -- do an intro and start a journal! Both are a nice way to let everyone know who you are and what your goals are.

This WOL can work -- not without some effort on your part, but it does work!

Best of luck!

:roll:

hjsmom
Mon, Feb-25-02, 18:21
thanx stormy, we do have lots in common, let's keep intouch, i need all the support i can get.

lcon109
Mon, Feb-25-02, 21:48
Welcome to one of the best support forums on the internet!!

I too started CALP just about 3 - 4 weeks ago and have found it to be a refreshing way to eat.

CALP is easy, not confusing and you can eat whatever you want pretty much all day. There are some specifications as you will read if you read the book, but they are very easy to live with.

Whichever program you decide upon, come here often, post and ask for support and you'll get it!

Lisa

Libbyfcr
Tue, Feb-26-02, 11:24
When I read my first Heller's book I too felt like it had been written just for me. I sat there and cried. It is important to read it and then re-read it so that you understand the science behind this way of eating.

I keep a journal. I have one of those "lil FAT notebooks" ha ha ha..... that always makes me laugh. It is just perfect. It is about 4" x 5" and it is really fat. I track everything. I have learned a lot by going back and reading it. I learned that on the first day of my TOM I gain exactly 3 lbs....... each month.....and then loose it within a couple of days. I never knew that before. I track not only my food, but also my moods, activities and also my weight chart which I do just exactly how the Hellers suggest. Works great for me.

I feel so much better these days. You wouldn't believe it.

I hope to see ya'll around!
Libby