PDA

View Full Version : Can a strict no carb long term phase affect the kidneys

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Claudia9
Sun, Feb-24-02, 17:08
Since friday, I have been a bit confused trying to understand what might of happened to a work pal of mine who follows the atkins diet. She was rushed to the hospital on friday with kidney failure. I feel very concerned because we had shared on our diet and I know she has been on the strickly protein phase for a long while, I would say perhaps two months. I had suggested that maybe a salad or two would be healthier...and making sure she drank a lot of water...maybe her problem is related to other health issues...but I would like to understand what could happen if we are too fanatical about zero carbs...I have been very prudent all along, staying on the strict version of Atkins only 14 days, with salads, then small vegetable portions...
Can someone enlightened me about the possible risks of too low carbing...
Thanks

doreen T
Sun, Feb-24-02, 18:04
hi Claudia,

High protein, low-carb, high fat, ketogenic diets do NOT cause kidney disease for persons with normal kidney function. For persons who have PRE-EXISTING kidney disease .. then consuming excessive protein can stress the kidneys further.

However, low-carbing isn't necessarily high-protein. A person only needs to consume adequate protein for health, plus the minimum carbs as per the chosen program. Any remaining energy needs can be met by consuming FAT.

Ketones are not related to kidney disease at all. If a person is diabetic, and develops a problem called diabetic ketoacidosis, then the HIGH BLOOD SUGAR and acid condition can be harmful to the kidneys.

:)

Doreen

wbahn
Sun, Feb-24-02, 18:21
Are you sure you are using the current version of Atkins? It is not by any means a ZERO carb diet.

There haven't been any studies that have linked a high protein diet to kidney problems in people that have normally functioning kidneys to begin with. Not drinking enough water could cause numerous problems and it's a question of which manifests itself first.

One risk is that most people (myself included) do not bother to have our kidneys (and everything else) checked out before we start LC. The same is true on every other diet or exercise program - it's human nature. So there are going to be a very small number of people that have undiagnosed kidney (or other) problems that their diet or exercise regime aggravates.

Also, even if kidney problems could be caused by an LC lifestyle in healthy kidneys I think it would take a LOT longer than two months for it to manifest itself.

Karen
Mon, Feb-25-02, 02:18
Doreen and Wbahn are quite right!

I'm a low carb fanatic, but not fanatically low-carb. I learn as I live the life-style.

I've been low-carbing for 2 years and 8 months and the only failure I've had is the failure to gain weight. ;)

Karen

Claudia9
Mon, Feb-25-02, 19:50
Thanks for your replies about the kidney matter...