PDA

View Full Version : ketostix finally turning red, but weight is climbing

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

headstrong
Sat, Feb-23-02, 14:19
I'm now approaching the end of my 4th week on my Atkis induction diet, and not only have I not lost, but today I have officially confirmed weight GAIN. The first 2 weeks I couldn't get my stix to turn at all, so I took the diet to the next level and cut out ALL carbs and fermented foods. The weird thing is, now that my ketostix are finally turning red, I'm discovering that I'm actually GAINING weight.

What the heck is going on here?!

It's getting harder and harder for me to justify staying on this plan. I finally started my journal and get more serious, strict and involved with this diet every day, but I'm also starting to fear that this diet will backfire on me and end up making me GAIN rather than lose. I'm freaking out a bit here! Is this NORMAL?

Natrushka
Sat, Feb-23-02, 17:05
Originally posted by headstrong
Is this NORMAL?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that in your case it makes sense, yes, it's normal. After years of restricted calorie, protein deficient dieting your body is stockpiling calories and using protein to repair and build. The stockpiling is in preparation for the impending famine it thinks is around the corner - just as it has been in the past. Our bodies learn and they adapt very quickly - they can get by on very little when forced to do so. However, sacrifices are made to do this. Muscles are scavanged for amino acids necessary for life; certain biological functions cease or are impaired (often you will stop menstruating, your hair and nails get brittle etc). This sudden increase in calories and much needed protein sends the signal "hoard" to your fat cells.

No one is exactly certain how VLCD (very low calorie diets) effect metabolism (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33613) , except that they result in them being lowered. Repairing a slowed metabolism can take years - it is possible that things will never be normal again.

I realize this doesnt solve your problem - but maybe having an explanation as to why it's happening will help.

Nat

wbahn
Sun, Feb-24-02, 01:27
If you are in ketosis then it means you are burning fat - though it may be primarily the fat you are consuming in your diet. But you are not laying on new fat. You have been so calorie restricted that your body may well have sacrificed a lot of its lean muscle tissue in order to suppress your basal metabolism and your body took all kids of steps to suppress it further. Now that you are taking in enough calories (at LEAST 1500 kcal per day in your case) you body may be trying to restore some of the lean muscle it has been foregoing for a long time. That will add lean body weight and may well cause weight gain as the various players vie for the overall effect. But more lean body mass means a higher metabolism. At some point, you will fall over the edge as start seeing obvious progress.

It's good to hear you have started a journal. I'll try to visit it shortly. Have you taken your measurements yet?

headstrong
Mon, Feb-25-02, 13:10
Well, I finally am noticing that the red is getting darker on my ketostix, not quite purple tho. Does this mean I'm finally in ketosis? Does it count when it's only a red color, or are you only in real ketosis when you are getting a purple color?

I'm still not dropping any weight, but its interesting to me that its possible the fat I'm burning may just be the fat I'm consuming. Does that mean that I shoud reduce my fat intake? I started eating more fat when, after my first 2 weeks of induction, I started a modified "fat fast" to try to kick start my ketosis.

agonycat
Mon, Feb-25-02, 13:28
70 to 80 percent of your diet SHOULD be fat!

Keep doing exactly as you are.

Even the slighest pink shows ketosis. Do not do the fat fast at this point. Let your body adjust to what you are currently doing before shocking it more.

Be patient!

headstrong
Mon, Feb-25-02, 13:55
That seems like a lot of fat! But I'm sure I'm consuming that much with all the fat and protein I'm eating. So if I'm only burning the fat I'm consuming, at what point do I start burning the fat that's sticking to my hips?

I guess I'm still confused... Is there anything else I should be doing to help it along?

agonycat
Mon, Feb-25-02, 14:21
You probably are burning your own fat.

Did you take measurements? Sometimes the scale doesn't budge due to water fluxations and building muscle tissue to replace the fatty stuff.

Hang in there! It does work, but if you have dieted before it sometimes takes your system a little while to adjust and trust what you are doing.

loriL
Mon, Feb-25-02, 15:15
I am curious, I keep hearing that weight loss is slower if you have done this diet before.

I am now 37 and I did this diet in my teens.

This can't possibly why this diet is going so slow for me is it?

Karen
Mon, Feb-25-02, 15:27
I've stolen this from agonycat and added a few of my own.

Top Twelve Reasons for Slow Weight Loss...

1) Age
2) Past dieting habits...do you yo-yo diet?
3) Exercise
4) Medical conditions you don't know about
5) Water intake
6) Cheating
7) Alcohol consumption
8) Metabolism
9) Low carb frankenfoods - low-carb foods that imitate high carb foods. Includes artificial sweeteners
10) Not eating enough calories - especially fats
11) Having a small percentage of weight to lose
12) Stress

Karen