PDA

View Full Version : How am I doin?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

doingwell
Sat, Feb-23-02, 05:46
Hi, I am new and had a question on carbs and ended up here. I think this is great to get so much support from so many! I am starting my 13th day on the induction part of the Adkins, I feel great have lost 10 lbs! Problem, I got talked into 2 glasses of red wine last night, feeling bad this morning, and wanted to know the effect of any alcohol on this program. In the book I have Dr. Adkins doesn't talk about it, just says no. Would love some input. Anyway, I am committed to this diet, have a new exercise program and love the way I feel. Hope you all are doing great too. :roll:

Natrushka
Sat, Feb-23-02, 07:37
Consuming alcohol has good news and bad news attached to it - good news, it will not knock you out of ketosis. Alcohol is burned as ketones by your body regardless of what way you eat - low or high carb. If you test with strips after drinking something alcoholic you'll get a pretty dark result - you are burning the alcohol for fuel. Bad news: You're burning alcohol for fuel - this puts fat burning on the back burner, so to speak. Alcohol will also dehydrate you - making a ketostrip reading that much darker. If you drink wine, beer, etc, be sure to drink extra water to compensate. Another side effect of alcohol is that it impairs judegment - that one piece of bread might not look so 'bad' after a few drinks.

You'll also find that since your body has become quite efficient at burning ketones for fuel it will take much less alcohol for you to feel it's effects - LCing tend to make us cheaper drunks.

Drink your water today - then drink some more. It will help with that awful feeling. And don't be afraid to take an advil!

Nat