PDA

View Full Version : 20 fashion tips for ladies losing weight...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Pages : [1] 2

pennink
Mon, Aug-20-07, 19:39
I thought about this as I was commuting home. I work in part of the fashion industry and must dress accordingly. A lot of women at my office are on diets and they all must look stunning every day. My boss is a well-known icon of beauty advice and I'd thought I'd share some tips so that your wardrobe doesn't cost you an arm and a leg while you lose.

1. Elastic waist bands. Oh, I know, ew. But you can get a lot more mileage from a pair of well made trousers or skirts if you have a scrunchable waist.
--TIP: have waist band gap? you know, when the hips fit but the waist is too big? Take a piece of elastic that is about the height of your waist band (watch that you use black with black, etc) Stitch one side first then the other... stretch to fit your new sized back and stitch into place... not too gathered but it will help you get through a few sizes.

2. wrap skirts, shirts, and dresses. Look for clothing that can be cinched in as you go.

3. knits. Buying fitted blouses seems like such fun as you lose, but investing in some knit shirts that will shrink with you will keep you fashion forward and out of the poor house inthe long run.

4. colour. Use bright colours in your wardrobe that you might never have dared before. A great scarf, piece of fashion jewellery, or wonderful cami in a jewel tone can light up your face (sometimes dieters look a bit tired or drawn).

5. buy pretty shoes. Your feet might lose some size (really), but invariably your shoes will fit as you lose. Spending some money on some awesome shoes can make many outfits look amazing.

6. Try a belt. if you're thinking, What? with my waist? go big and wear a blazer or over shirt and leave it open. Get used to seeing a new waist.

7. smooth out the cellulite and other lumps and bumps. Spanx, girdles, and control top stockings are your friends! (oh, and wear beige under white please!)

8. Get your bra fitted. It takes a moment to get the right bra. Lots of department stores offer this service free and it will make the girls look great. Nothing says dumpy like a deflated bosom.

9. Dark colours where you want to hide stuff. Ok, so you're sporting that new emerald green blouse but you've lost less on your booty. Deck out the bottom (or maybe the top if you lose butt first) in a dark colour. The bright colour moves towards the eye, the dark recedes.

10. Cut your hair. Lanky hair, and bushiness is something most of us 'hid' behind. Let it go. Get a face framing, attractive and modern hair style.

11. Makeup. you might need to go to see what wonderful ways a makeup artist can highlight those cheekbones you can see now! Want to lose 10 years off your look? Smooth out your skin with makeup. (Mac cosmetics offers this free and they do a good job)

12. OH you old sew and sew... if you are handy with a needle and thread, start making darts, tucks, and take up those too-long pants before you look like you're always in pajamas.

13. remodel. Oh, you hate to buy new, do you? Well check out the 2nd hand clothing, but be very careful you don't end up looking like you should have driven up in a Delorean (note: shoulder pads are a no no). Just because the jeans at Goodwill only cost 2.50, it's not an excuse for wearing 'mom' jeans.

14. The staples. One pair black pants. One white, crisp blouse. all the rest can work around it.

16. 'Accessorize the positive'. Again, lovely scarves, jewellery, shoes, and some awesome cool purses (yay, Payless) can make you look hot.

17. Read fashion magazines. You have a new body to dress. You might need new rules!

18. Ignore fads. You love the metallic look this season? fine, buy a pair of ballet shoes in gold, or a neat bag. Just because your thighs are looking amazing doesn't mean they should be packed into gold pants.

19. Know how old you are! Yes, you can now fit into the juniors section, but are you over 30? Get back to the right department, missy! nothing ages a woman more than trying to look younger than she is with fashion faux pas.

20. Mani/pedis... if you can't afford it do it yourself, but along with lovely shoes, grooming your nails really goes a long way to making yourself look polished all over!

Okay now strut your new stylin' butts! (be the diva, be the diva)

ElleH
Mon, Aug-20-07, 20:15
Love it! Thanks pennink!

Citruskiss
Mon, Aug-20-07, 20:15
What a neat thread!

And just in time for those of us who are struggling as we try to find our new 'size'. Shopping in the plus size stores has meant a limited selection, and now that the 'plus size' clothing doesn't fit me anymore, I'm finding myself a little lost. I'm hesitant to buy anything too expensive, because I'm still working towards my goal, but at the same time - really confused as to what to wear or buy.

One thing that's helped - buying jeans with a bit of stretch in them - they last a lot longer as I lose the weight.

I'm looking forward to getting some new makeup sometime soon. That, and a fresh haircut.

I've spent so much time buying the cheapest stuff I can find...and sticking to really boring basics. I can't wait to branch out into some more colourful things.

I really like the idea of decent shoes and some nice accessories as I carry on losing the rest of this extra weight. I have a funny feeling I'll be living in jeans and black turtlenecks this fall.

But hey - as you've said - why not get the better shoes, the nice belt and the pretty scarf in the meantime?

KvonM
Mon, Aug-20-07, 20:28
12. OH you old sew and sew... if you are handy with a needle and thread, start making darts, tucks, and take up those too-long pants before you look like you're always in pajamas.
wait... you mean pajamas AREN'T work-wear? even the soft yellow ones with the very artsy-yet-tasteful french poodles on them?

what about my blue-ish purple ones with the multicolored stars on them? those were always a great hit on saturdays, especially with my beat-up black fuzzy slippers (and yes, i did wear this to work one day).

18. Ignore fads. You love the metallic look this season? fine, buy a pair of ballet shoes in gold, or a neat bag. Just because your thighs are looking amazing doesn't mean they should be packed into gold pants.
now wait a second, those gold lame leggings of mine are a PERFECT accent to the sequinned-mosaic leopard print blouse with the linebacker shoulderpads and the tiger's face on the back. and with the faux zebra-fur messenger bag and my knee-high giraffe-print ugg-style boots with the electric blue fleece accents, i'm the hit of the no-tel motel!

pennink
Mon, Aug-20-07, 20:31
Where'd ya get that zebra-fur messenger bag... I soooo need one :lol:

Citruskiss
Mon, Aug-20-07, 20:39
You're hilarious Kvon!

Just hilarious. :D

Wanna know how bad I am? I won't even wear running shoes with jeans. In fact, I won't wear runners unless I'm actually exercising. Which is..um...never.

There was a time in my life when I didn't actually own any jeans.... :lol:

pennink
Mon, Aug-20-07, 20:43
I really hate running shoes. I will buy the little white simple ones (H&M has them now) like we wore in the 60s before Adidas made them all chunky. Jeans make most people look hefty.

Wear DARK jeans, watch how high or low they go (too high mom jeans, too low skank). I would suggest nice shoes even pointed toe shoes with jeans to make your legs look longer.

Citruskiss
Mon, Aug-20-07, 21:21
I really hate running shoes. I will buy the little white simple ones (H&M has them now) like we wore in the 60s before Adidas made them all chunky. Jeans make most people look hefty.

Wear DARK jeans, watch how high or low they go (too high mom jeans, too low skank). I would suggest nice shoes even pointed toe shoes with jeans to make your legs look longer.

You're sooooo good at this!!!

I've made it a 'rule' that the jeans have to be dark, and not too high or low. And no, I wouldn't be caught dead in running shoes with or without jeans.

Am I awful?

Pointed toe shoes? Ack - I need a style maven to help me out with this. A personal shopper or what have you.

Right now it's black loafers. In summers, slides are good.

But pointy-toe shoes?

Ok...I need *help*!

When I do finally get to goal, I'll be looking around for someone to go shopping with. Or someone to help suggest where to buy what. I'm new to the US - originally from Vancouver, and now living in Colorado with my husband. All the stores are different, and at first - I was ok with the plus size stores...and now that they don't work for me anymore, I don't exactly know where to shop. Or what to buy...

In the meantime, I'll be living in my bathrobe. :D

Don't laugh - it's a very nice robe..and one of the few things that still fits me.

Oh, I'll figure it out when the time comes, but - this is truly a great thread, and it couldn't have come at a better time. Thank you :)

JAnn
Mon, Aug-20-07, 21:38
And make sure you're wearing the right colors. If I wore black pants with a crisp white, white blouse, people would ask me if I was sick. I once had a white blouse and brown blazer. Everytime I wor it I would get sent home sick. It always made me looked flushed. When I wore black my skin would look gray.

Wifezilla
Mon, Aug-20-07, 22:03
but invariably your shoes will fit as you lose

I hate to break the bad news, but...

Some WEIRDOS (ok...ME!) lose weight in their FEET. Yup....lost a half size. It was just enough of a loss for me not to fit in to my brand new leather FILA tennis shoes and my new pair of hiking boots. They became lose enough to cause blisters and now I can't wear them anymore.

Anyone need 2 slightly used pair of size 11's?

JAnn
Mon, Aug-20-07, 22:11

Some WEIRDOS (ok...ME!) lose weight in their FEET. Yup....lost a half size. It was just enough of a loss for me not to fit in to my brand new leather FILA tennis shoes and my new pair of hiking boots. They became lose enough to cause blisters and now I can't wear them anymore.

Anyone need 2 slightly used pair of size 11's?Can you double up your socks. When we lived in Alaska we always bought winter shoes oversize to compensate for heavier socks.

Gypsybyrd
Mon, Aug-20-07, 22:11
Great thread Pennink! Thank you. You're the Clint and Stacy of this board. :)

Citrus - Macys department stores (or one of them anyway) has personal shoppers ... maybe that would help you. Or be sneaky and go to Nordstroms or Neiman Marcus and use them to find good stuff - then you'll know what looks good and can buy similar stuff elsewhere.

KvonM
Mon, Aug-20-07, 23:09

Some WEIRDOS (ok...ME!) lose weight in their FEET. Yup....lost a half size.
you're not weird. i went from a 9 to an 8½. i think a lot of it has to do with your feet having to carry less body mass, so they adjust accordingly.

i gave up on jeans long ago. i could never find any that were comfortable enough for me not to want to get out of them the moment i got home. and they're usually too long on me since clothing manufacturers seem to think that a size 18 means you're also 5'10". i've got long legs for my body, but finding petite jeans is a pain. i usually stick with capris or dress pants for work if i'm not in a skirt.

90% of my work wardrobe is black... partly from my gothlingness but also because half my wardrobe is from my east coast professional office days. i can't say it hasn't served me well, and i also can't say that it's inappropriate. but i know i need to add a few jewel-tones just to look a little more normal. i'm one of those rare coloring types that's both a fall and a spring.

But pointy-toe shoes?
pointed-toe shoes aren't nearly as bad as they seem. you aren't supposed to get your toes ALL the way into the point. they can actually be really comfortable.

Kisal
Tue, Aug-21-07, 02:11
What an interesting thread! Personally, I live in jeans, but I have to buy men's jeans. When I put on a pair of women's jeans that fit me in the waist, there's so much excess fabric flapping around my hips that I look like I'm wearing riding breeches. :lol:

And I couldn't live without my Saucony running shoes, the most comfortable shoes in the world, IMO. :D

Of course, jeans, tennie-runners and a water resistant parka are de rigueur where I live, sort of the standard uniform. :lol:

HalfPass
Tue, Aug-21-07, 03:40
Great thread Pennink! Looking good is a big motivation to keep on programs and dressing well is such a huge part of looking good.
I have an embarrassingly huge wardrobe because of e-bay. Once you know brand names that fit well and how the sizing runs, you can get some incredible deals! I also sell my clothing that has gotten to large and finance most of my smaller sized items with my selling. Also a great place for shoes and accessories!!

pennink
Tue, Aug-21-07, 05:48
oh, ebay clothes, good idea HalfPass. And consignment shops for high-end clothing!

One thing about the shoes. You might lose 1/2 a size or so, but you can buy little heel guards to help transition your shoes. They will fit a LOT longer than the pants you popped out your credit card for.

And nothing cheers up a dull day like a pair of pretty shoes!

Pointy toed shoes ARE sooooo comfy when you get used to them. The heavier you are, to, the more dainty your shoes should be. No honkin' platforms (itsy plats are ok), or clunky man shoes.

Also, big woman, bigger purse. Don't try to pull off those little itty bags or you'll look like those pants with the tiny pockets on my huge Behind.

Good at this? ya, kinda do part of this for a living... so working with stylists all the time I get told... (as in, 'you are NOT thinking of wearing that?' said a few times here and there and you REALLY start to pay attention)

lexy-lou
Tue, Aug-21-07, 06:47
Thanks for this, pennink! As far as pointy-toes shoes go, I always look for a mid-heel and buy them 1/2 size larger than my usual size. Then they are very comfortable.

Questions:
How can I wear a belt without having the "popover effect" on a dress or jeans? I usually wear things un-tucked because I feel too bulky around the waist otherwise ... but I think I've lost enough weight now to give it a go ...

How do you know if an article of clothing is definitely too big? Some fashions look okay looser, don't they? I remember the tip that you should look at the shoulder seams to make sure they fit, but do you have other tips?

Thanks --

pennink
Tue, Aug-21-07, 06:57
Hi! ya, I wear a pair of black pointy pumps to just about anything now I've found they can be comfy. (Note: the more expensive, I mean really expensive shoes are VERY comfy)

Questions:
How can I wear a belt without having the "popover effect" on a dress or jeans? I usually wear things un-tucked because I feel too bulky around the waist otherwise ... but I think I've lost enough weight now to give it a go ...-

Choose a wider belt that can hold you in. Luckily, they're in style right now so you have a lot to choose from. With jeans, your waist line would be the natural waist and a belt should not hoist you in, but rest within the belt loops comfortably. If you have back gap you really should opt to have a tailor (or you can) make some darts to stop the hoisting look and the plumber's bum.
Wearing a belt with a blazer, unbuttoned over top also can solve a lot of issues. Wearing a dress blazer with jeans, and a splash of colour in a funky shirt would be cool too.

How do you know if an article of clothing is definitely too big? Some fashions look okay looser, don't they? I remember the tip that you should look at the shoulder seams to make sure they fit, but do you have other tips?

Thanks --

I have narrow shoulders so a lot of things drag there. Thank Heaven mom taught me to sew. For tops, hold your arms straight out (like a t) if you see a scad of extra material drooping from the arm seam and on down, move to a smaller size. Pants are droopy at the crotch? time for a new pair.
Loose clothing (especially since most heavy women drape themselves in fabric--I mean come on, I seriously wished the Burka was in style here at one point) can make you look heavier than you are. Fitted, tailored clothing is the way to go.

lexy-lou
Tue, Aug-21-07, 07:06
Fabulous advice. Thanks! Can I ask one more question? I recently bought a fitted white blouse. I have always avoided white until recently ... Anyway, I'm not sure how to wear it without just looking like a plain Jane -- untucked under a blazer with black trousers. How can I make it look hip?

pennink
Tue, Aug-21-07, 07:29
Fabulous advice. Thanks! Can I ask one more question? I recently bought a fitted white blouse. I have always avoided white until recently ... Anyway, I'm not sure how to wear it without just looking like a plain Jane -- untucked under a blazer with black trousers. How can I make it look hip?

This is fun!

Untucked with sleek dark pants (nicely tailored) or a pencil skirt if you can pull that off, with a dramatic piece of jewellery in a bright colour is the best bet! (remember, skin-toned bras with white blouses). BIG jewellery. Chunky beads in red or torquoise looks amazing with white blouses. White and black with a bright shoe (love it with a red shoe) looks professional.

if you tuck into a pencil skirt (not recommended tucking into pants unless you're really slim) wear a wide belt to cover up any muffin top syndrome. But if your hip to waist ratio is pretty dramatic, don't do this. It looks best if you're only 4 to 5 inches more on your hips than your waist. Again, bright shoe. You could use big gold jewellery with this look. And don't wear too much. So if you have a big necklace, no big bracelet and vice versa.

Untucked, tailored blouses with dark jeans looks FABULOUS. Then keep the jewellery a bit more subdued.

One more thing? that purse and shoe matching thing is so 1950s. Don't do it. I love to carry an orange purse when wearing green, for instance.

OH, and dump the teeny sunglasses. Go big and glam. They look awesome diva-style on your eyes, but can also make you look sophisticated on top of your head.

lexy-lou
Tue, Aug-21-07, 07:37
You're fabulous. I think you should go into business as an online fashion stylist/consultant. Thanks!

pennink
Tue, Aug-21-07, 07:48
You're fabulous. I think you should go into business as an online fashion stylist/consultant. Thanks!

That would be so much fun.

I had to learn that as a larger woman I couldn't just shove on a Walmart shirt and pants and look professional--it takes more work. And the really gorgeous heavy woman have a lot of style and are often more beautiful than they ever thought they could be!

I do work as a mag editor, so I get to do this but not a one-on-one. I'd love to do that.

alarionov
Tue, Aug-21-07, 07:57
Heres a question, How can I make a outfit with a pair of jeans look business-ee? Oh and I cant wear heels to work Urgh!

Wifezilla
Tue, Aug-21-07, 08:00
finding petite jeans is a pain.

Well yeah...but so is finding some long enough. And you can always hem them up. I can't sew on an extra 2". Actually, this is a debate I have often with my friend Jojo. She is only 5'3", I am 6'. Neither one of us can find decent fitting clothes. Manufacturers assume that if you are petite, you are built like a 12 year old boy. They also assume that if you are plus sized- you have big boobs. As she cusses about her jeans not fitting her curves, I cuss about the extra 5" of material in the chest area of my shirts.

pennink
Tue, Aug-21-07, 08:07
Heres a question, How can I make a outfit with a pair of jeans look business-ee? Oh and I cant wear heels to work Urgh!

If you MUST wear jeans (and it's something frowned on by upper management where I work), wear them dark, fitted (no creases down the front but make sure they don't look like you just pulled them out of the dryer... a steamer works best on jeans and all clothes).
Wear them with a crisp blouse... not a long droopy one, but a tailored blouse. Consider wearing a suit jacket with them, metal jewellery and if no pointy toed shoes... buy some awesome 3/4 boots with a square toe. Nothing chunky, not wedges either. Also, ballet slippers can look awesome with jeans and they are cheap and colourful.

Wifezilla
Tue, Aug-21-07, 08:08

Jeans, nice boots, and a fitted jacket with a collared shirt. Don't forget a good belt. That is considered "dressy" in Southern Colorado...LOL

JAnn
Tue, Aug-21-07, 08:35
Jeans, nice boots, and a fitted jacket with a collared shirt. Don't forget a good belt. That is considered "dressy" in Southern Colorado...LOLSame here! :lol: And I don't recall seeing dark jeans here--indigo is the way to go!

pennink
Tue, Aug-21-07, 08:38
Funny how casual and professional styles are different in different locales.

I work in Toronto now and at times it's like a fashion runway at work. I used to work in a smaller city and no one really noticed.

JAnn
Tue, Aug-21-07, 08:38

I work in Toronto now and at times it's like a fashion runway at work. I used to work in a smaller city and no one really noticed.Anything like "Ugly Betty"? :lol:

pennink
Tue, Aug-21-07, 08:39
Anything like "Ugly Betty"? :lol:

Actually, pretty much...

More Devil Wears Prada if you catch my drift.

JAnn
Tue, Aug-21-07, 08:48
Actually, pretty much...

More Devil Wears Prada if you catch my drift.Guess I'll have to watch that again! I tried watching it on DVD but there were so many things going on at the time I couldn't concentrate on watching it. I wanted to see it at the theater but didn't--got the drift tho!;)

pennink
Tue, Aug-21-07, 08:52
When i walk into my bosses' offices, they all check out what I'm wearing. the girls walk by mine and we all compare. Every detail is noticed. It's nuts.

alarionov
Tue, Aug-21-07, 09:15
If you MUST wear jeans (and it's something frowned on by upper management where I work), wear them dark, fitted (no creases down the front but make sure they don't look like you just pulled them out of the dryer... a steamer works best on jeans and all clothes).
Wear them with a crisp blouse... not a long droopy one, but a tailored blouse. Consider wearing a suit jacket with them, metal jewellery and if no pointy toed shoes... buy some awesome 3/4 boots with a square toe. Nothing chunky, not wedges either. Also, ballet slippers can look awesome with jeans and they are cheap and colourful.

Ok not to be too picky but tailored bloused very difficult to buy when your larger on top, you know what I mean?

pennink
Tue, Aug-21-07, 09:27
Ok not to be too picky but tailored bloused very difficult to buy when your larger on top, you know what I mean?

K, there are some FABULOUS new materials out there that have some give. And try blouses that have a wrap effect so you can pull in the waist and extentuate the girls! You might also want to try just a lovely knit shirt that has an interesting collar cut (think oragami or square). Also some shirts with a bit of stitching in between the boobs can look amazing.

CValentine
Tue, Aug-21-07, 09:31
What about a woman like me...
Built like a block. Barely a waist to hip ratio.
Wide shoulders to a fault & nary a bustline(AA), wideset. 37/31/37 w/a long waist/hip/butt proportion.
I do find I look good in mens 501 jeans, but not much else.
Having a long inseam (33") doesn't help either. Womens jeans seem geared to 5'6" & down. I feel like I'm still in the 80's with demi boots & jeans too.

Dresses are near impossible to find to look stunning.
The last sexy dress that looked WOW on me was an ruched oyster-colored leather minidress by Vakko. I'd have to drop another 25# to fit in that one. Last full-length formal dress was a gold & silver spangle-beaded Bob Mackie, single shoulder strap w/open back & mermaid train, way out of style now. But I don't need formal anymore, just evening dressy, any ideas please?

Vera Wang shoes are comfortable & I do buy my Gucci boots 1/2 size up for comfort in the pointed toe style.
Thank you Pennink for your great thread here! ~Cheryl Ann

alarionov
Tue, Aug-21-07, 09:43
Thanks Pennink you are the BEST!

scthgharpy
Tue, Aug-21-07, 09:47
You know, this is actually really good. im SOO bad about fashion, I throw on whatever dark pants and dark top I happen to have within reach. I HAVE nice suits, I HAVE a nice haircut, I HAVE nice makeup (well, ok, 2.5 years ago the lady at the MAC counter did me up and I bought EVERYTHING she put on me) But I dont use them.

Pennink, Im printing out your article (and it is, Ive read less helpful articles in "beauty" mags. and calling it a checklist. I hereby affirm to get my appearance back in order! As of next tuesday when the stepkids go back to seattle permanently, I will be geared up for daily exercise (abandoned about mid summer), hair and make up in the morning, and picking out clothes the night before. Maybe I will even invest in (gasp) heels. And start altering these clothes Ive had for several years that are falling off me.

jeans are the only thing that make me look good. the denim holds...everything together.

pennink
Tue, Aug-21-07, 09:50
What about a woman like me...
Built like a block. Barely a waist to hip ratio.
Wide shoulders to a fault & nary a bustline(AA), wideset. 37/31/37 w/a long waist/hip/butt proportion.
I do find I look good in mens 501 jeans, but not much else.
Having a long inseam (33") doesn't help either. Womens jeans seem geared to 5'6" & down. I feel like I'm still in the 80's with demi boots & jeans too.

Dresses are near impossible to find to look stunning.
The last sexy dress that looked WOW on me was an ruched oyster-colored leather minidress by Vakko. I'd have to drop another 25# to fit in that one. Last full-length formal dress was a gold & silver spangle-beaded Bob Mackie, single shoulder strap w/open back & mermaid train, way out of style now. But I don't need formal anymore, just evening dressy, any ideas please?

Vera Wang shoes are comfortable & I do buy my Gucci boots 1/2 size up for comfort in the pointed toe style.
Thank you Pennink for your great thread here! ~Cheryl Ann

K, Cheryl, you gotta fake a waist. Ruching is a GREAT way for you. Especially if it's a dress that has the ruching ending in a little tie at your waist. Play with colour combos--darks recede, so use those to 'hide' what you don't want to emphasize. Make sure you never wear shoulder pads, but you can do some stunning cut high sleeveless turtle necks (you know, then show your shoulders) this will make your waist more defined too.

You could totally do the pencil skirt with a tucked in blouse and wide soft leather belt. If your torso is long, match the belt to the skirt, if you have no torso, you might want to try the other way to give the impression of balance.

Buy clothing that has fake waists with tailoring or elastic. never buy boxy jackets.

Evening, you will find some lovely 'halter' style tops, ruching or smocked at the waist. Wear a longish piece of jewelery to keep it all soft and girly. You might want to make sure the fabric is soft and airy too, like a chiffon for some added girliness. You could also try the soft silk blouse in a lovely taffeta skirt with a belt look, very 50s.

Sounds like you have some awesome clothing! the jeans... try the different designers who let you build your own pair right online... can't think of the name now, i'll look around. I've seen some of the new jeans are coming out with elephant pant styles, but you'd probably want to keep you legs more defined.

KvonM
Tue, Aug-21-07, 10:12
no kidding... i went to a job interview once at what i was told was a "financial investment house" wearing a black pinstripe suit, white toile-print shirt, black suede heels with silver accents, and silver jewelry. my hair was pulled back in a low bun, makeup was good, i was my normal assertive and outgoing (yet not crazy) east coast interview self.

when the recruiter called me back about the position, she said the people i'd interviewed with thought i was stiff and stuffy. i actually scared them with what i considered professional wear.

now, next week i have an interview with a company that makes interior design materials. i've got one outfit i THINK will work fine... i've just never been one to go splashy on an interivew.

pennink
Tue, Aug-21-07, 10:19
do the crisp blouse, nice pants and a ROCKIN' piece of jewellery or bag. That way you say to them, i'm casual, professional, but totally into design.

Wifezilla
Tue, Aug-21-07, 10:20
Where I live there are a lot of farmers, ranchers, retired military, vets, contractors, and other independent business people. They ALL have to be able to roll their sleeves up and pitch in at their companies. Clothes have to be practical and machine washable. Anyone with an expensive suit is viewed with suspicion. They either dress that way so they have an excuse not to get dirty and be useful, or they want to sell you something. Even worse, they could be lawyers! LOL

pennink
Tue, Aug-21-07, 10:21
Even worse, they could be lawyers! LOL

hides attorney hubby...

CValentine
Tue, Aug-21-07, 10:51
Make sure you never wear shoulder pads

UH-OH, Remember Betsey Johnson's 'shoulder-pad' years? It was only last year that I finally parted with the sweater dresses & turtlenecks. Took them to a vintage clothes store for a little money. Went & bought some records. (Age showing)

Evening, you will find some lovely 'halter' style tops, ruching or smocked at the waist. Wear a longish piece of jewelery to keep it all soft and girly. You might want to make sure the fabric is soft and airy too, like a chiffon for some added girliness. You could also try the soft silk blouse in a lovely taffeta skirt with a belt look, very 50s.

I love pirate blouses & the softer 'floaty' fabrics! My DH, agrees I need to step back to the 40's & 50's styles. He loves it on me. It's hard to find shoes to keep it modern...I love & have some vintage shoes to go with certain vintage outfits, but newer not magoo-looking shoes are hard for me to find. I have 2 pair of open-toed dorsay heels by Valentino in burgundy & saddle tan. I look good in a rounded 'Betty-Boop' toe, but I'm picky about no-toe show & they're impossible to find. Heel width is a big thing with me too. Anyone else this picky about shoes?

Thank you for the advise Pennink! If you find that custom jean site, I'd love to check it out! ~Cheryl Ann

pennink
Tue, Aug-21-07, 11:13
Well, the 40s is back this fall in a big way! And high-heeled spectator pumps!!!! (not great with evening wear, but so fun)

JAnn
Tue, Aug-21-07, 11:37
now, next week i have an interview with a company that makes interior design materials. i've got one outfit i THINK will work fine... i've just never been one to go splashy on an interivew.Kvon, if you can, go sit outside the building where you are going to interview and watch the people coming and going. That should give you an idea what dress they feel comfortable with. Then dress one level higher. That should impress them!

JAnn
Tue, Aug-21-07, 11:39
Well, the 40s is back this fall in a big way! And high-heeled spectator pumps!!!! (not great with evening wear, but so fun)And last night I was thinking that I need to watch some old 40's movies to get an idea of outfits to make.

Note: I have some patterns from the 1940's that I inherited when my grandmother passed away. She had some awesome shoes from that period, too. They wouldn't fit me so my mom donated them. Then I took fashion merchindising and really regretted that I didn't keep them.

+35-65
Tue, Aug-21-07, 12:24
This is an awesome thread!!!!!!!! I've had to figure out a lot of these secrets through trial and error. Wrap skirts and dresses ROCK and Goodwill is my saving grace. This past weekend I went to the mall and got a bra fitting, a makeover and a curling iron!

I'm really struggling with the "know your age" thing, however. I'm 35 and can't tell if I need to adjust or not. (I don't shop in the Junior's section, but I'm totally addicted to skorts and I think they might be too short.....)

pennink
Tue, Aug-21-07, 12:25
This is an awesome thread!!!!!!!! I've had to figure out a lot of these secrets through trial and error. Wrap skirts and dresses ROCK and Goodwill is my saving grace. This past weekend I went to the mall and got a bra fitting, a makeover and a curling iron!

I'm really struggling with the "know your age" thing, however. I'm 35 and can't tell if I need to adjust or not. (I don't shop in the Junior's section, but I'm totally addicted to skorts and I think they might be too short.....)

ya, sorry... skorts after 35 only on tennis courts or possibly golf course. Shame, eh?

jesa_CH
Tue, Aug-21-07, 12:35
My first small goal (after the first 10 kilos) I want to splurge on some new undies ;)

Thanks for the tips!!

rdy2rde
Tue, Aug-21-07, 12:36
I guess I'm just going to look freaky then, cause it's 101 here in Alabama today, I'm 46, and I'm wearing a skort. :) Oh, and flipflops are my shoe of choice. Love those things !

Lisa

pennink
Tue, Aug-21-07, 12:38
new undies! Love new undies!!!! I actually love wearing the ones I bought and couldn't fit into, too!

I used to have the drawer of 'way too tight, but if I didn't do laundry, better than hanging it all out' underwear. Now they ALL fit!

+35-65
Tue, Aug-21-07, 13:00
Damn. No skorts?!?!?! I have thick thighs and a small waist, so I thought they were a great solution to hide that "tug" in the hoo-hoo area. (Camel toe, anyone?) What about skirts? How long should they be? (And this is all casual wear for me. I work from home and my idea of a "night out" is rock climbing by the full moon - not really a fashion diva)

Undies are a BIG problem for me right now. When I was heavier, I carried a lot of my weight in my tooshie and for some reason, that seems to be the place I have lost the most weight, so I've got a lot of sag going on. My butt sags right out of everything I've tried on - boy shorts, bikini, granny panties. Bleh.

pennink
Tue, Aug-21-07, 13:06
uh, camel toe is cuz you're wearing a size too small, unfortunately.

I'd go for some sundresses for about the town in the summer (simple ones) Rock climbing? Awesome... ya, don't wear the pointy toed shoes for that.:lol:

leslieam
Tue, Aug-21-07, 13:10
Well I have just loved this thread. Fashion is my middle name ;)

Penni - let me ask you something about my body style as it relates to pants/jeans. I am 5ft 9in and ALL leg. I usually purchase my jeans/pants in a 33 in to 34 in inseam to accomodate for my heels. But I struggle with jeans/pant fit becasue I am extremely short wasted. Quite literally, my belly button is just a few inches from my 'girls'.

To date, I've looked for a low-rise pant/jean - one that fits low on the hip. I've found this elongates my torso. However, I just hate two things about low rise pants:
1) I always seem to get a muffin top with those types of jeans
2) I despise how they go down and potentially show off my crack

Am I just destined for low-rise pants because of my short waist?

Also - what are your thoughts on the new jean trend - high rise jeans? I have seriously considered getting a pair (hey, it'll hold in my muffin top) but I'm struggling with what type of top to wear. I've read in one magazine to look for a top that will tie at the waist. That's a bit too casual for me, personally. So is a tucked in shirt appropriate for a high-rise jean?

Or maybe I should stay away from high-rise jeans, because of my short waist?

And allow me to add, Spanx is God's gift to women. That is my fashion secret!

Edited to add: about the jeans/pants - I also have VERY thin legs. My DH calls me chicken legs :lol:

pennink
Tue, Aug-21-07, 13:15
I'm short torsoed, long legged, too... if only my torso had grown to match my legs I'd be awesome...

Try to get the mid rise jean. so that they are still under your belly button but way above the uh... plumber's bum.
The best shirt for you are those lovely floaty peasant style shirts and 'baby doll' styles so that they cover the muffin area and they look flirty and sweet. So many new ones are coming for fall too.

The high rise pants I wore in the 70s. I looked like I was just legs and boobs. To elongate, wear the top in the brighter colour and let it come down lower than your belly button. I'd pass on the high rise pants. I hafta. :(

revcharlie
Tue, Aug-21-07, 13:16
Good thread Penn,
The shoe thing. Much to my disgust, after almost three years with only one pair of good dress shoes, I was ecstatic to open my box of shoes. Went to dress up to go out to a classy restaurant that evening and discovered that size wise they were unsalvagable. Not only too long, but farrrrrrrr too wide. Guess that's what losing 100lbs will do. (oh yeah, and all that fluid!)

As for how to dress, try dressing professional while living on the edge of the world. I have not yet figured out the balance between too casual and too citified for a female minister in this remote very small city. And most of the ladies my age and around my size wear polyester elastic waist pants in a variety of colours, many pastels, and generic, very square, print blouses over top that hide a variety of figure flaws, but alas give no hint that there is actually a figure. Top that with the fact that there are really no large size stores in our lovely little remote city and I think my sewing machine will be going into overdrive.

Ahhh, underwear. Last winter I actually had to throw out my underwear after wearing it to keep from washing it and putting it back in the drawer. Pretty underwear that fits is a really good feeling.

Bought a pink purse before I left the rest of the world and hope I get the courage to actually use it here!

Well, this has me inspired to go rifling through my patterns so I can buy some fabric when I travel to Calgary in a couple of weeks.

Happy fashion journeys everyone!

leslieam
Tue, Aug-21-07, 13:16
I'll give those mid-rise a whirl. And I figured the high-rise was out of the question but I do think they are sooooo cute!

pennink
Tue, Aug-21-07, 13:22
I'll give those mid-rise a whirl. And I figured the high-rise was out of the question but I do think they are sooooo cute!

why don't you try them and see? it will just make your legs look longer... you could wear them with a little jacket to even things out i bet.

leslieam
Tue, Aug-21-07, 13:27
I certainly will.

Penni - are jackets big for this fall? I do love a jacket. I have so many that I can't count them all. I just love them with jeans.

leslieam
Tue, Aug-21-07, 13:30
Another question - this one about hair.....

what are your thoughts on the 'reverse bob'? I know it's another 'must have' for the fall. I'm kinda hooked on my long hair (because I can do lots with it).

pennink
Tue, Aug-21-07, 13:37
K...

Jackets are HOT this fall. Especially in a cool colour! And there are these new, layered sleeve looks that come just below the elbow. Where them will a fabulous jewel-toned blouse (sapphire blue is the colour to pick up this fall). Little coats can be in bright yellow! You could wear these short-sleeved jackets with long gloves too. What style.

blazers are always in. A good suit jacket is a marvy thing! Watch the lengths with skirts though. Finger tip length with pants only really, but a nice trench cinched at the waist with a slim skirt is classic.

Hair... i just cut mine off as I'm in my 40s and hair just loses its bounce as you age. I have the reverse flip myself and it opens up your face and takes years off of you. Be warned though, it takes a flat iron and wax to keep it in place. I like it because you can wear it so many ways.

+35-65
Tue, Aug-21-07, 13:54
uh, camel toe is cuz you're wearing a size too small, unfortunately

Most likely, but if I go a size up there is a horrible gap in the waist and tummy and the butt sags. It's just that "inner thigh" rub that makes the shorts ride up between my legs. If they were nice clothes, I'd probably have to have them tailored or something. I guess I'll just stick with the skorts and tell everyone I'm 15.

pennink
Tue, Aug-21-07, 14:02
15 or get out the sewing machine! LOL... oh gee, I'd break into sundresses. I never ever wear shorts. Capris and sundresses in the summer. Some day....

SandyDown
Tue, Aug-21-07, 15:35
Pen, many thanks for all the advice, really useful, I too work at a very formal places, where everyone is dressed in 'The Devil Wears Prada' manner. Am not in the fashion industry though, everyone competes to look like a million dollar including men lol -and girls look sooooo thin, even at my present weight which is almost goal I find myself often being the fattest girl in the room. :(

Re blouses, I really really love satin blouses - it makes me feel so feminine and soft, I have all kind of satin coloured blouses, however I also have a big chest for my size (whatever my size I am my chest is slightly big for it lol) so mostly I buy blouses that has buttons just at top, not all the way down, this is because I really really hate it when buttoned blouses have that gap between buttons round the chest areas, am I committing some kind of a fashion fatal error by wearing half buttoned satin blouses?

The other thing I go for is buy tailored dresses, in heavy material that define and flatter my body contours (i.e. not lycra or stretchy material) I especially like black sleeveless dresses, because they are great to wear under a jacket with one bright peace of jewellery, or with a soft pearl nicklas (soft coloured Pearls were all the rage this year here in the UK), then if I got invited for an unplanned after work do, then I just remove the Jacket and instantly my outfit is an evening black dress.

Secondly I loooove big hand bags, must admit this is to hide an extra pair of shoes, I usually wear my expensive pointy high heels only at the office, then change into my comfy flat shoes when I travel back and fourth to work. But I do look at all these cute cute small handbag and would love to get one, what do I do with the spare shoe lol, should I carry two hand bags (I see some women do this now, one small cute handbag, and a large subdude one) or should I have one cute hand bag and carry my spare shoes in a stylish shopping bag (makes me look as if I just purchases something from a designer shop)

I am sorry if the above questions are really trivial, but would sure appreciate your advice

JAnn
Tue, Aug-21-07, 16:51
Re blouses, I really really love satin blouses - it makes me feel so feminine and soft, I have all kind of satin coloured blouses, however I also have a big chest for my size (whatever my size I am my chest is slightly big for it lol) so mostly I buy blouses that has buttons just at top, not all the way down, this is because I really really hate it when buttoned blouses have that gap between buttons round the chest areas, am I committing some kind of a fashion fatal error by wearing half buttoned satin blouses? I also love satin blouses. I told DH that when I reach a really important milestone I'm going to buy silk charmeuse and make at least one cream blouse. I never thought about having a button (or several buttons) just at the top. I am also large chested and don't like gap (and that doesn't just apply to use well-endowed women) but I would like to minimize my chest.

Secondly I loooove big hand bags, must admit this is to hide an extra pair of shoes, I usually wear my expensive pointy high heels only at the office, then change into my comfy flat shoes when I travel back and fourth to work. But I do look at all these cute cute small handbag and would love to get one, what do I do with the spare shoe lol, should I carry two hand bags (I see some women do this now, one small cute handbag, and a large subdude one) or should I have one cute hand bag and carry my spare shoes in a stylish shopping bag (makes me look as if I just purchases something from a designer shop)I never thought of doing that. I have foot problems and if I wear heels, or even dress shoes, for any amount of time I end up in excrutiating pain. I could carry a larger bag and put my shoes in that. Thanks for the suggestion.

+35-65
Tue, Aug-21-07, 18:10
15 or get out the sewing machine! LOL

So true! I have one and am trying to motivate myself to make some new pj bottoms, maybe I should spend the time doing alterations. I've never tried that however. I'm pretty limited in my sewing skills. (And my sewing machine is actually older than I am - and that's pretty darn old!)

I could probably handle capris. Sundresses, not so much. I hate my arms. Actually, just my biceps. My forearms are normal. Bleh. Huge thighs, broad shoulders, herculean biceps and everything else about me is disproportionately small. Some times I think my genes are just playing a cruel practical joke on me!!

pennink
Tue, Aug-21-07, 18:19
Hi Sandy, you sound like you are really doing things great!

for the blouse gap thing (no, the half buttons are fine!), but if you want to sew in very small clear plastic dome fasteners at the potential gaps and you might be pleasantly surprised at how they hold. I've also put a tiny bit of sticky velcro on the placket of blouses when I didn't feel like sewing.

About the shoe switch. I actually have a large bamboo basket at work where I leave most of my shoes and slip into flats as I leave the office. But if you want to go for a small purse check out all the VERY cute little carrying bags all over the place now to slip your shoes into! I also have a large alligator-(fake) style briefcase I can get some shoes into.

The sleeveless dresses look very sophisticated, and I love a heavy linen for the summer. Also sleeveless turtlenecks look amazing under suits with skirts... all the time. I don't care I've got a nice 'rack' I know it makes my waist look smaller! :lol:

pennink
Tue, Aug-21-07, 18:50
Thought I'd share this 'mind the gap' story...

A few years back I was grocery shopping. My toddler was in the buggy facing me. I get up to the check out and as I placed two honeydew melons on the belt they rolled and rolled on past the cashier.
I exclaim, "Oh, my melons are escaping!" I thought it was mildly funny, but neither the cashier or the bag boy said a word but exchanged a funny look.
I push my cart on out of the store and my little girl looks up at me sweetly and says....

"mommy, your shirts undone"

Yes, indeed... my melons WERE escaping.

Citruskiss
Tue, Aug-21-07, 19:04
I'm missing out on all the fun here - I'd like to know what 'pointy-toe' shoes entail.

Like what? You're not talking actual heels are you? I'm a 'loafer' girl, through and through. Think Bass Weejuns...chunky turtlenecks and corduroy pants. Oh, I know...so very 'preppy' and probably way out of date.

Sometimes I think I take 'classic' a little too far.

Last time I wore something other than navy blue, grey or black was on Memorial Day weekend. We were having a big BBQ thing - and we ended up with 17 people coming for dinner. Feeling rather daring, I put on a pair of white jeans, topped it off with a bright turquoise slinky halter top and white strappy sandals that had actual heels on them.

I felt like....

Like a neon sign.

I got a lot of compliments....and way too much attention for my liking.

So, I've retreated. Again. :o

Back to the basics, where I feel a bit more comfortable.

Unfortunately - I am having a tough time figuring out my size. I shop...I try on things, and most stuff is too big. And then I go back for yet another smaller size, and that's too big too. Eventually, I give up and walk out without buying anything.

A few weeks ago, I did buy a few things - just cheap t-shirt type tops. I come home, and I'm thinking that the stuff I've bought might be too small. So I try on the few things - only to have my husband say, "That's way too big".

Agghhh..

There's a real adjustment going on here.

And in the meantime - I don't know where to shop or what to buy.

Like I said, I'll be spending the next few months in my bathrobe.

Then, when I get to goal - I'm hoping that I'll somehow find the courage to try some colour, some pointy-toe shoes or whatever it is that makes one seem 'current'.

And I'll keep reading this great thread for ideas. :)

pennink
Tue, Aug-21-07, 19:09
I bet you looked wonderful at that barbecue.

I have recently learned to take a compliment and revel in it. I used to dread the slightest change in my appearance drawing attention. I think, nah, I know, it's part of wrapping myself in my comfort layer of blubber. Bad thing happened to me a few years ago... you get the drift.

Citrus, ballet shoes are low and current! Try them!
Cords and woolies pack on the virtual pounds... but good news! Greys are back this year and tweeds too! Just team them up with wee splashes of colour and you'll be de rigeur!

HalfPass
Tue, Aug-21-07, 20:09
What a WONDERFUL thread this has evolved into. Pennink, you are an absolute wealth of knowledge. You job sounds really interesting..The Devil Wears Prada is one of my all time favorite movies..and fashion is one of my favorite "things".
Years ago when I was showing horses there was a woman who also showed that I really admired. She was quite heavyset, like me, and always looked PERFECT..breeches/coat fit perfect, hair perfect, makeup perfect..horse perfect..WOW, what an impression she made and the weight did not matter in the overall picture. That is what I have always aspired to.

Citruskiss
Tue, Aug-21-07, 20:19
pennink - you really *are* very good at this :)

So tell me about the ballet flats - are these good with jeans? What colour would you recommend? I'm always going for black or brown loafers.

And I hear you about bad things happening...yep, been there, done that.

I see advertisements for the ballet loafers - but am not sure what to wear them with.

I am going to make an effort to buy closer fitting clothes this fall. Maybe they'll be grey or kind of 'tweed-y' - but I will look for clothes that aren't quite so bulky.

Do you ever find that as you lose the weight - parts of you get way smaller, and that the only reason a particular size fits you is because your bottom half is still 'plus size' or larger than the rest of you? That's my conundrum these days.

I finally decided to measure my waist, hips and chest. I'm sitting at 36-30-36 right now. This means that I need to buy pants that fit the 36" waist, but that they gape all over the place around my now-smaller waist. Meanwhile, my old 38C bras are way too big.

Ack.

Nothing fits right. Waist is too small for the rest of my body, and I feel a bit odd. Not slim, but not fat either. And the slimmer parts are much slimmer than the rest of me.

This whole losing weight deal is awkward, to say the least.

And no, the weight loss isn't all that even. My ankles are small...

Last thing I wanted to do was lose weight in my toes.

My rings are sliding off...and yet, my tummy is still ....round.

Sigh....

Citruskiss
Tue, Aug-21-07, 20:26
Just have to add - I've *decided* that I'm going to get some of those new-ish ballet flats. Can women who are in their 30's wear the new ballet flats?

So what colour(s)? And is it ok to wear them with my dark wash jeans and some of my dress pants?

Meanwhile - I get the feeling that if I really want to amp up the style quotient, that I'd be out there buying 'pointy-toe' shoes. Again, what are these exactly? Heels with pointy toes? Or are there flats that are the new, ultra- stylish 'pointy toe' version?

Thanks a million. I am really liking this thread - thank you so much pennink :)

Sara

diemde
Tue, Aug-21-07, 21:17
Excellent thread Pennink! I think you've found your sweet spot (no pun intended :lol: ) Some great ideas in here!

So how about some advice for the over 50 crowd? I have to go to Chicago next week and am dreading it because I can never figure out what to wear that looks good. And of course I have a limited wardrobe because of losing the weight now, too. Your timing is perfect with this thread... I'm going shopping Saturday and also going to get a new 'do. Any suggestions for hairstyles? I was looking online tonight to see if I could find something. Thanks!

abbey
Wed, Aug-22-07, 00:58
Just have to add - I've *decided* that I'm going to get some of those new-ish ballet flats. Can women who are in their 30's wear the new ballet flats?

So what colour(s)? And is it ok to wear them with my dark wash jeans and some of my dress pants?

I'm late 20's (so pretty much close enough) and I'm currently in love with square toed ballet flats - ones that actually look like ballet pointe slippers YUM! I personally hate pointy toed shoes, heels or flats.

I have them in zebra print, leopard print, gold, silver, black and pink.. and I match them with black wide leg tailored pants for work or dark wash boyfriend cut (sort of bootcut but a bit slouchier but still fitted) jeans for socialising. Keep the top fairly neutral (I pretty much only wear black tops so I'm not the person to give colour advice), with an interesting neckline, earrings which semi match whichever pair of shoes I'm wearing and one of my squillions of black handbags :)

apparently I look pretty good because I get people complimenting me

SandyDown
Wed, Aug-22-07, 02:08
Take comfort Pen, at least your mind the gap incident happened while in a supermarket and people who don’t know you saw your melons, I was once having a serious meeting with my manager, but he just wouldn't look me in the eyes, I was talking to him and he was just gazing at the floor, he even answered some of my questions while looking down at the floor, I got really irritated and thought what the hell is he gazing at on the floor, and I looked down, eeeeek, I say eeeeeeekk shock shock horror horror, my blouse was completely undone !! I was sooo lucky I had a pashmina on me so I swiftly whisked it round my front and just went on discussing the serious matter, as if nothing happened, you should have seen the relief on my boss's face when I covered up :lol : when the meeting was finished I ran to the ladies done up my buttons and my buried head in my hands in embarrassment for a looooong time

Thanks for the fastener/Velcro idea, will try to do it, am not a sewing person, but I do love these silky blouses, btw you said that a sapphire coloured blouse is in this year...hmmmm I must admit I saw a gooooorgeouse sapphire silky blouse last week at the shops, it was really expensive though... but I sooooooo want to have it :lol: :lol:

Ok another question, I have another gorgeouse deep emirald green satin/silky blouse, it has such a bewitching rich green colour and lovely feel - I almost wish I am a red head every time I wear it because I'd off set it well... anyway, my question is, what do I wear it with, I wore it under a black suit , the black jacket just made it look duller and didn't offset it, I tried it with really expensive well tailored white trousers, again, the white made the green blouse look a cheap and again didn't offset it, I was surprised, because the same white trousers really offset my navy/midnight blue silky blouse, so was disappointed when it didn't do the same for my emirald green one.... I love the green blouse.. what do you think the best colour jacket/skirt/trousers I should wear with it ??

MyJourney
Wed, Aug-22-07, 02:53
Man, I must be influenced by fashion more than I realize. So far I just got a new haircut that is sort of 1940s pinup style. I have natural curls and I cut to to just below shoulder length with layers so I can get the little pincurls and I actually use a rat sometimes on my hair in front when I really want a vintage look. I also just got this gorgeous sapphire blue nail polish which is TOTALLY unlike me. Usually I am far more conservative but I fell in love with this color http://www.amazon.com/OPI-Polish-RUSSIAN-Russian-Collection/dp/B000V04YBA/ref=sr_1_2/002-0311964-4158447?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1187772169&sr=8-2

I must have seen a similar color on a model in a magazine or something and it just stuck in my mind.

I tend to wear a lot of black because every time I wear colors my boyfriend gently reminds me that black is more figure flattering for me. I would like to wear more colors. I do find some really nice plus size clothing on ebay and its not too pricy. I suggest checking it out for an inexpensive wardrobe pick me up.

I am a shoe addict. I may not pay that much attention to what I wear because I am so fat everything just looks terrible and I tend to go with a frumpy look way too much but I do splurge on shoes because they make my legs look longer and leaner which makes me feel better (and taller!)

I have over 100 pairs of shoes (I have 3 shoe trees that hold 30 each and the rest are on the floor until I get a fourth shoe tree)

Good shoes really are comfortable with a heel. I adore pointy toed anything even though I wear an 8.5 - 9 I still love the look. I love boots but since I have 20 inch calves it can be a little difficult to find boots that fit well. I finally started buying whatever boots I wanted and just going to a cobbler and he can either stretch them or put a gusset in so the boots will fit my calves. I actually know I am losing weight because one of my favorite boots (charles david crafty) had a gusset put in and now is getting to be a little loose on me when I wear it. Totally worth it though.

Also, great deals can be found on shoes. I like to browse around on Amazon and find great deals on shoes that I like and then try to price match them at zappos or endless etc. That way I get an even better deal on the shoes.

BTW: Thanks Pennink for starting such a great thread with great pointers!

leslieam
Wed, Aug-22-07, 06:59
This is becoming one of my favorite threads. :D

Penni - what's your take on skinny jeans for fall? I have one pair (very dark wash) that I just adore! I wear them tucked into boots (for fall), or with ballet slippers and/or heels. Are they 'in' again this fall?

neverwhere
Wed, Aug-22-07, 07:07
OMG. I love clothes. And I know when I hit goal I am going to love them even more. I didnt think I could possibly shop more than I do, but obviously it's only going to get worse :help:

Leslie, I dont like skinny jeans, except for tucking into boots. I am a flare or wide leg girl (with cute skinny heels) all the way, even though I'm short and the thinking is skinny jeans would elongate me.

The thing I love most about fashion is every style comes back "in" eventually, and if it looks good on you, it's always a go, no matter what the current trends are.

pennink
Wed, Aug-22-07, 08:01
k, Citrus: you moved along faster than I could answer, but ballet slippers come in high end leather (I wear the ALL the time) to 6 dollar fabric ones at accessory stores. You can get them in metallic (silver is big for fall, btw) and they go great with jeans. I like the simple black ones with capris (think Mary Tyler Moore in The Dick Van Dyke show). I'm in my mid 40s and they look so much better than crocs, flip flops, or sneakers! You always look polished with a little shoe. Round toe is the cutest, but if you want to elongate your leg, a pointed end is nice too.

Pointy shoes... I'd go for a slight pump. I don't like the really really pointy ones, but if you don't like them you can go for a more round toe although it's something more suited to younger women. The lace up spat look (high heeled) is pretty cool this fall season. I'd wear them with a pair of pants, a white shirt left out and a vest. Vests are REALLY in this year. You could even wear the school boy look and have a tie loosely around the collar... not tight... Annie Hall. The pants are also a bit looser for this look.

and Citrus, yeah, I'm a triangle. My butt is in the plus store my tops are in the fun ones. Sigh.

Sandy: Emerald green silk is the BEST with red hair. I used to be a redhead and it was my one blouse that really garnered the compliments. Try one of the new high-waisted skirts, in a textured or lovely fabric with a teeny belt on the skirt. Very 40s and classic. Suits with the blouse work well, too as they often look too severe and the green will pop. Slouchy, pleated high-waisted pants would look great with these too.

Note on nails: the look now is natural, not fake nails. Cut to be roundish, just a bit of white showing and buffed, not coated with goo. Also a really simple pink or beige-y pink for professionals is best.Depending on where you work, you might want to save the blue nail polish for your toes. And never match your toenails to your fingernails.

Skinny jeans: gotta be tall and thin to pull these off well. They are really hot right now as are wide legged jeans too! (thankfully). The key is to wear them so they don't make your body look like it goes from wide to a point (like you're teetering on your pins) If you're straight up and down, then they're fine. Tucking them into boots looks fine if you're under 35, but over that and you look like you're waiting for a John. Really. Also, unless you're in your 20s and thin as a rail (or teens) no wedge boots with this look. crepe soled boots add pounds to the look.

Black is so slimming but dull. Pop it with jewellery, scarves, lovely shoes and lipstick. I actually love seeing a well-dressed goth look. But note the over the top lips and eyes. Very cool and striking (of course, not for work, but I like to look at it)

I also thought about collars today. Giving a bit of 'lift' to your collar (no not like Elvis's) makes an older neck look softer and you look sophisticated. If your fabric can be starched, iron it with starch, open so you can mould it into a face framing look. I have one that's a bit too floppy, so I sewed some interfacing into the inside of the collar and that worked. Really tricky if you can't sew, might not be a good venture.

Diemde: What are you going to be doing in Chicago? professional? evening out? tourist? An amazing look is the jean, blouse (untucked) with a very well pressed and folded sweater over the shoulders and loosely tied, great sunglasses (the larger ones), gold jewelery. You can fold up the sleeves of this shirt and could show off a big bangle bracelet (easy on the size of the necklace if you do that). This would be a good tourist/shopping look. And get an large bag, something funky.
Suits can look stodgy. Break them up. Buy a really lovely rust-coloured jacket to team up with some earth tones (i've seen your pics). This can go with chocolate trousers and some ankle boots. Pagminas over blouses and jackets will make you look rich and important. These come in every colour known to man and can give you the bright glow you might need. Don't worry about being 50. Just don't dress like you're 20 and you'll be great.
Hair... I think a great and easy cut on you would be parted on the side, shortish, but long enough in the back to flip it out. It will lift your face without surgery! And if you can, invest in some new, cool glasses. You will ROCK!

pennink
Wed, Aug-22-07, 08:01
This is becoming one of my favorite threads. :D

Penni - what's your take on skinny jeans for fall? I have one pair (very dark wash) that I just adore! I wear them tucked into boots (for fall), or with ballet slippers and/or heels. Are they 'in' again this fall?

so in, but gotta be skinny and tall. I think you could totally pull them off.

Wifezilla
Wed, Aug-22-07, 08:14
I got the tall part down...still working on the skinny :D

With this thread, I might not have an excuse to dress like a bum anymore!

pennink
Wed, Aug-22-07, 08:22
I got the tall part down...still working on the skinny :D

With this thread, I might not have an excuse to dress like a bum anymore!

wow! so cool.

I know, I see all these neat outfits and instead of thinking, 'as if' I think "soon" :thup:

KvonM
Wed, Aug-22-07, 12:26
'm missing out on all the fun here - I'd like to know what 'pointy-toe' shoes entail.

Like what? You're not talking actual heels are you?
Pointy shoes... I'd go for a slight pump. I don't like the really really pointy ones, but if you don't like them you can go for a more round toe although it's something more suited to younger women.
can i just add something here? pointy toes does not always automatically mean 3" or 4" heels. i've seen tons of great shoes with the little tiny cute kitten heel, a low, broad, straight heel, or my all-time favorite, the louis XIV heel. if high-waisted jeans and lace-up spat boots are coming back, then the victorian boot can't be far behind. i LOVE those things.

. And never match your toenails to your fingernails.
now wait a minute... i worked hard to get these to match, and i think i did a DAMNED good job, too :D. (click on the pictures to make them bigger.)
http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/7413/08220711141oc8.th.jpg (http://img53.imageshack.us/my.php?image=08220711141oc8.jpg) http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/6868/08220711142cm5.th.jpg (http://img297.imageshack.us/my.php?image=08220711142cm5.jpg)

Trisha5813
Wed, Aug-22-07, 12:33
Oh man, this thread just cost me some major money! Been reading it all morning and decided I just HAD TO HAVE a pair of those cute leather ballet slippers! Got a pair of black round toe and they are adorable! Of course, I went to Shoe Carnival and they are having the buy-one-get-one-half-off, so had to get another pair of shoes....after all, who can resist that kind of bargain! Anyway, can't wait to wear my ballet slippers with a pair of jeans tomorrow...they look sooooo comfy & cute!!!
Trisha

pennink
Wed, Aug-22-07, 12:40
That is hilarious!!!!!!!! sorry if I caused a shopping craving! At least it's low carb!

I don't really like kitten heels, but that's just me. I like the way a three incher makes my legs look a little less elephantine.

ValerieL
Wed, Aug-22-07, 12:47
ya, sorry... skorts after 35 only on tennis courts or possibly golf course. Shame, eh?

Oh, say it isn't so. I like my skorts. They are longer though, not thigh level, just above the knee. That's okay, isn't it?

pennink
Wed, Aug-22-07, 12:50
Oh, say it isn't so. I like my skorts. They are longer though, not thigh level, just above the knee. That's okay, isn't it?

probably! work no, but around the house sounds good.

I have started even making sure I'm really turned out when I go to a Mall... I run into people all the time when I'm out and want to look good even then! Oh, such a diva.

Trisha5813
Wed, Aug-22-07, 12:58
[QUOTE=pennink]That is hilarious!!!!!!!! sorry if I caused a shopping craving! At least it's low carb!

WHAT? Are you crazy??? Any excuse to buy a new pair of shoes is a good excuse!!! :lol: Fits right in with my shoe/purse fettish! I should be thanking you, woman!!

Citruskiss
Wed, Aug-22-07, 13:18
I can't wait to go shoe shopping now! It's the perfect thing when you're in that in-between phase and don't want to spend money on clothes that might not fit in a few month's time.

Funny, I should read now about not buying a tailored blouse at this time in my life - I bought quite a few of those in the past couple of years, because I thought they were slimming. I still love them, it's just that they are the first things to look 'too big' when you lose a few pounds. There's no getting around a now-boxy looking blouse. I'm going to look for softer materials, something with a bit of give - like what you were saying about maybe a 'wrap' type top or something. With a tailored blouse, if you lose five pounds, it just doesn't look right. I've shied away from jersey type knits, out of a desire to hide lumps and bumps and rolls of fat - figuring they were just not going to be very flattering.

I could be wrong - I'll perhaps try something like this next time I decide to buy some clothes. Every single shirt I've bought in the past year or so is now too big. Because it's summer - I've been ok with it, buying t-shirt type casual tops. Once the weather cools though, all I'm going to have are t-shirts!

That's pretty bad eh? Well, I think it's just from frustration with not knowing what things will work while losing the weight - this thread is excellent for that. Lots of great ideas.

And like I said - in the meantime - shoes :D

neverwhere
Wed, Aug-22-07, 13:31
kvonM, LOVE the color. I am a. acrylic, short length, slightly rounded nail with dark color polish all the way! it might not be in at the moment, but I cant stand it any other way! And I like when it matches the toes too! :lol:

Gypsybyrd
Wed, Aug-22-07, 13:38
My turn, my turn with a question!

Great thread Pennink! Thank you.

Anyway - my question is this .. I have a suit I absolutely LOVE. But the jacket was a bit less than 1/2 size too big when I bought it. As I shrink the jacket, of course, gets bigger. Tailoring is expensive. I don't mind tailoring it once - but twice is a bit much. Actually I guess this will be two questions.

1) How many sizes down can something be tailored before you have to buy new and smaller?

2) Would it work to use a double sided stylish clip in the back of the suit jacket to kinda cinch it in at the waist? I guess it'd be like those tops/dresses that tie in the back.

Thanks!

SandyDown
Wed, Aug-22-07, 13:48
Sandy: Emerald green silk is the BEST with red hair. I used to be a redhead and it was my one blouse that really garnered the compliments. Try one of the new high-waisted skirts, in a textured or lovely fabric with a teeny belt on the skirt. Very 40s and classic. Suits with the blouse work well, too as they often look too severe and the green will pop. Slouchy, pleated high-waisted pants would look great with these too.

Thanks very much, but which colour skirt/pants should I use with an emerald green silk blouse- that's what I want to know!! I just can't think of a colour that would go with it, do you think a rich shade of blue may go with it.... I am thinking of something that will clash but yet fits so perfectly, do you know what I mean?

pennink
Wed, Aug-22-07, 13:57

Anyway - my question is this .. I have a suit I absolutely LOVE. But the jacket was a bit less than 1/2 size too big when I bought it. As I shrink the jacket, of course, gets bigger. Tailoring is expensive. I don't mind tailoring it once - but twice is a bit much. Actually I guess this will be two questions.

1) How many sizes down can something be tailored before you have to buy new and smaller?

2) Would it work to use a double sided stylish clip in the back of the suit jacket to kinda cinch it in at the waist? I guess it'd be like those tops/dresses that tie in the back.

Thanks!

Hi!
1) it totally depends on the cut of the jacket (lining, etc) and the talent of the tailor. A tailor could, stitch rip all the seams lay it out and recut it about 4 sizes down fairly easily. It might be quite expensive and better just to buy a new one. But if you love it sooooo much, and the fabric is amazing, take it to a man's suit maker... (picture a little guy with a tape measure around his neck, chalk stains on his vest, and wire-rimmed glasses on his balding pate) and see what he can do.

2) I'd definitely try this. Try it with a safety pin first to see that it doesn't gape too weird at your hips or tummy. You could even make a belt thing with a good piece of suede in a matching colour and an awesome clip at each end. Then take matching clips and fabric and integrate it somewhere else on the blazer to have it all 'go'.

good luck! Man, I need to dig out my sewing machine now. Feeling inspired.

Tomorrow I'm on TV in Canada. (not talking anything remotely fashion oriented, but about parenting for one of our other magazines). I've been fretting about what to wear...

I've decided on: black trousers, black sleeveless turtleneck, black pointy toed heels and a pastel pink, finger tip jacket (anne klein) with a glass bead necklace (has a huge piece of cut glass pendant and the chain is all cut glass, kind of pinky glass, so it should look ok without detracting)

What do you guys think?

pennink
Wed, Aug-22-07, 13:57
Thanks very much, but which colour skirt/pants should I use with an emerald green silk blouse- that's what I want to know!! I just can't think of a colour that would go with it, do you think a rich shade of blue may go with it.... I am thinking of something that will clash but yet fits so perfectly, do you know what I mean?

Oh, totally dark chestnut brown or black. rich rich rich.

SandyDown
Wed, Aug-22-07, 14:01
Oh, totally dark chestnut brown or black. rich rich rich.

never thought of chestnut :) thanks

leslieam
Wed, Aug-22-07, 14:01
I've decided on: black trousers, black sleeveless turtleneck, black pointy toed heels and a pastel pink, finger tip jacket (anne klein) with a glass bead necklace (has a huge piece of cut glass pendant and the chain is all cut glass, kind of pinky glass, so it should look ok without detracting) Sounds very pretty to me! :agree:

pennink
Wed, Aug-22-07, 14:28
Sounds very pretty to me! :agree:

Phew!

I really didn't want to buy new. The jacket is one I've had for years and can finally get into!!!! Its a 16 and I've come from a 26, so that's big for me. :wave:

SandyDown
Wed, Aug-22-07, 14:33
Penni well done for your new smaller size, and I agree that your choice is great simplicity and sophistication all in one.

KvonM
Wed, Aug-22-07, 14:49
Tomorrow I'm on TV in Canada. (not talking anything remotely fashion oriented, but about parenting for one of our other magazines). I've been fretting about what to wear...

I've decided on: black trousers, black sleeveless turtleneck, black pointy toed heels and a pastel pink, finger tip jacket (anne klein) with a glass bead necklace (has a huge piece of cut glass pendant and the chain is all cut glass, kind of pinky glass, so it should look ok without detracting)

What do you guys think?
honestly? i think the outfit sounds perfectly polished and professional, but i'd run it past the wardrobe people first.

reason being, if you're on a stage and with other people (especially the host), the LAST thing you want to do is clash with them. a pink jacket that looks amazing on you in daylight may look like someone splashed you with pepto-bismol under the stage lighting. so what i would do is stick with the black basics and let them hand you a jacket or sweater or something (or better yet, bring alternatives with you) that work with the overall coloring of the stage.

in this case you're not just dressing you, you're part of a bigger picture. and if they find something that's way better than anything you've got, you might just be able to sweet-talk them into letting you keep it ;).

pennink
Wed, Aug-22-07, 14:58
Never thought of clashing... too late now, the morning show people are gone. That's such a good thing to have thought of. I know the background is olive green so I thought of that. And pink makes me look younger, thought of that...

let's hope the host who's interviewing me isn't wearing orange!

revcharlie
Wed, Aug-22-07, 17:47

Hate to disagree with Penn - and she may be right if you go to a very expensive tailor - but my seamstress says two things. 1. It must fit in the shoulders otherwise you might as well just start with something new. 2. If it fits in the shoulders, it can be taken down two sizes maximum.

What Pennink is talking about is rebuilding the whole garment from scratch and that is just plain difficult and very expensive.

I am a minister and my alb is who knows what size - huge. We have actually brought it down about 3 sizes but it is not meant to be a good fit since it is cinched with a rope so that works. Now, I will have to buy a new one. Although I have contemplated taking it apart and starting over again, but a new alb in my new size only costs about $150 and will last me the rest of my life.

diemde
Wed, Aug-22-07, 17:56
Thanks for the advice Pennink! Now I have to go back and read everything again. There's a lot here to absorb. You rock! :D

pennink
Wed, Aug-22-07, 18:21
Hate to disagree with Penn - and she may be right if you go to a very expensive tailor - but my seamstress says two things. 1. It must fit in the shoulders otherwise you might as well just start with something new. 2. If it fits in the shoulders, it can be taken down two sizes maximum.

What Pennink is talking about is rebuilding the whole garment from scratch and that is just plain difficult and very expensive.

I am a minister and my alb is who knows what size - huge. We have actually brought it down about 3 sizes but it is not meant to be a good fit since it is cinched with a rope so that works. Now, I will have to buy a new one. Although I have contemplated taking it apart and starting over again, but a new alb in my new size only costs about $150 and will last me the rest of my life.

It is expensive because they basically recut the jacket (my way). Years ago they did this to a leather jacket of mine cost me about 200 bucks, but the coat was 700, so I figured it was worth it.
If you don't open up all the seams, Rev's right, 2 sizes down. Then you could end up with droopy shoulders.

I used to sew a lot, and patterns usually come now with 3 sizes on one pattern... more than that, and it's a total recut.

A lot of seamstresses are kind of like me... always sewed, learned from their mom's... I just find tailors better for suits, seamstresses for dresses... imo, though.

lexy-lou
Thu, Aug-23-07, 07:35
Pennink, I just ordered a turtleneck dress that was on sale at Peruvian Connection: http://www.peruvianconnection.com/product/clothing+sale/womens+clothing+sale/suits+dress+sale/110322-t-neck+dress++++++++++++++++++++++++++++.do

Is this horribly out of style? Should I send it back? It fits pretty well. I am large busted, though, and I think I remember a rule about not wearing t-necks ...

pennink
Thu, Aug-23-07, 07:50
Pennink, I just ordered a turtleneck dress that was on sale at Peruvian Connection: http://www.peruvianconnection.com/product/clothing+sale/womens+clothing+sale/suits+dress+sale/110322-t-neck+dress++++++++++++++++++++++++++++.do

Is this horribly out of style? Should I send it back? It fits pretty well. I am large busted, though, and I think I remember a rule about not wearing t-necks ...

That is FABULOUS! The rule about turtlenecks? well, they always cover up aging necks and elongate torsos and look sophisticated! That's the rule, wear them and look fabulous!!!! (think Katherine Hepburn!)

Gypsybyrd
Thu, Aug-23-07, 08:14
Thank you Pennink and Revcharlie! I appreciate both inputs ...

SherryJ
Thu, Aug-23-07, 08:47
Hey, pen! :wave: What a fun thread!

When I do finally get to goal, I'll be looking around for someone to go shopping with. Or someone to help suggest where to buy what. I'm new to the US - originally from Vancouver, and now living in Colorado with my husband. All the stores are different, and at first - I was ok with the plus size stores...and now that they don't work for me anymore, I don't exactly know where to shop. Or what to buy...WELCOME to CO, citruskiss! I LOVE living here!

From your descriptions, you might want to check out Coldwater Creek. I don't know where in the state you are, but I do know there are at least 2 stores in the Denver area... http://www.coldwatercreek.com

Sherry

pennink
Thu, Aug-23-07, 09:34
Well.... I have just been appointed fashion consultant for our 'parenting magazine!' Whooohoooooo.

First column coming soon!

I have done fashion tips for pregnant women in another one, so this is such fun!

penelope
Thu, Aug-23-07, 09:44
Much congratulations but does this mean you won't write here? Copyright problems?

OtherCher2
Thu, Aug-23-07, 09:46
Pennik, I wish you could drop by and go shopping with me! Oklahoma isn't that far. My problem is trying to put something around my saddlebag thighs. No matter what I try on, they seem to protrude. I'm down to a size 12 now and the lower rise slacks just seem to accent the saddlebags AND the protruding veins in my legs must be covered by slacks. We've got 3-4 months til you need to come to Oklahoma, though, cause I need to get rid of 20 more lbs before I buy permanent clothes. See you then!

pennink
Thu, Aug-23-07, 09:57
Much congratulations but does this mean you won't write here? Copyright problems?

well, it's gonna be online, so i'll give you the link when it's published. but this is so different here... we're all changing our bodies and have such a huge amount to learn about what looks good on our new bodies. It's much more difficult than for people who have the same body all the time. Gee, lucky ducks.

oh wait... NO we're the lucky ones!!!! whoohoooo!!!!!!

Cher... saddle bag thighs... i hear ya girl! SPANX!!!!!!! and keep the interest up at your torso with colours and keep the pants dark. higher the heel the more the legs will stretch out and look longer (match the colour/tone of the shoes to the pant for longer leg length)

SherryJ
Thu, Aug-23-07, 10:05
Ha! Guess that pink worked jus' fine after all, pen! :lol:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Sherry

JAnn
Thu, Aug-23-07, 10:21
Well.... I have just been appointed fashion consultant for our 'parenting magazine!' Whooohoooooo.

First column coming soon!

I have done fashion tips for pregnant women in another one, so this is such fun!Congratulations and I'll be looking forward to your columns. I sew and need to start building a wardrobe in a smaller size (Yay!). I know my colors (usually not what's in fashion--I'm definitely a spring!) and I want to design my own styles. I have been thinking of the forties look but also like casual. I'm sixty--don't look it by all accounts--more like late 40s or early 50s (thanks to good genes and 20 years of Alaska rain and clouds).

SandyDown
Thu, Aug-23-07, 10:47
congrats Penni

leslieam
Thu, Aug-23-07, 11:36
Congrats Penni!!!!!

Penni - another belt question for you. I'm t-totally into the wide-belt-high-on-the-waist look. I have two that I just wear all the time, black and red. From what you are seeing in fall fashions, do you think that style of belt will still be in for fall or are we going back to belts that fall a bit below the natural waist?

I'm actually wearing my black belt today with a brown top (untucked) and a black skirt both in a swishy-clingy type fabric. I've had more compliments on my figure than I can count today. :D

pennink
Thu, Aug-23-07, 11:39
OH the more belts the merrier from what I've seen. Some cool ones, too. Wide backs, then two narrow belts to hold them (but there's a gap between where the wide belt stops and the thin ones run across your tummy---mmmm, clear as mud, eh?)

Big belts define a small waist! Don't you just eat up the compliments!!!!!?? love them.

pennink
Thu, Aug-23-07, 11:58
Jeans link...

http://www.makeyourownjeans.com/

OtherCher2
Thu, Aug-23-07, 12:13
Thanks, pennink, for the great advice. At least, now I know what to start looking for when I'm shopping. I did get some great spanx body shapers from, of all places, an Avon catalog. They are the ones that go just below the knee and actually pull it all together and make me almost a whole size smaller! What about length of suit jackets? Should I go for the new shorter style or with the longer length to try to camoflag (sp) the saddlebags??

pennink
Thu, Aug-23-07, 12:21
shorter length jackets, sorry to say, would extenuate them.

Think fingertip, tailored. some detail on the jacket away from the bottom of course, would be awesome. interesting lapels, embroidery, heck, even the 'hot' snaps and zipper looks work great.

Citruskiss
Thu, Aug-23-07, 12:37
Congratulations pennink!

I loved that turtleneck dress too - wow...really pretty, and simple too.

I took a look at the Coldwater Creek, and there are some things in there that might work for me too. I think I saw one of these stores at the Flatiron Crossing mall.

I must admit that part of the problem I'm having is making myself venture into stores that aren't plus size. Awhile back, I was really surprised to find that things in the Eddie Bauer store fit me. I tentatively sort of wandered around...afraid to actually try anything on, for fear it would be too small. Kept grabbing extra-larges, thinking I'd be lucky if they fit. Turns out I was a 'medium' in that store. A month or so before that, I actually bought a couple of shirts from their store without trying them on - extra larges...thinking, "I'd rather try these at home and if they don't fit I'll just bring them back".

Um - I think 'shirts' are a difficult thing when one's body shape is changing. I don't think I'm going to buy too many shirts for now. More sweaters and knits I think. I've got tons and tons of tailored shirts that are all boxy now.

You know what? I don't know what size I am! So I grab a whole range of things, and after fumbling around in the changing room and then going back and getting more sizes - I sometimes just end up walking out in a huff.

And the other thing is that I think the sizes have changed somehow over the years. I've got a beautiful dress that I kept - something my parents gave me years ago. It's a size 12 - and I'm very close to fitting into it now. But when I try on a 12 in stores...well, it seems like things are bigger, or the sizes are all skewed or something.

Is it just me or is it that I'm a completely different size depending on the brand, the store, the item? Anything from a ten to a fourteen? That it's impossible to tell what to try on? Gah!

Hopefully, as I shop more and try on more things, I'll develop an understanding of what my size is - that somehow I'll decipher which brands work with what size on me etc. It never used to be this complicated.

I am vowing to get into more stores this fall, if only to educate myself on what clothes I like, what fits where and so on. Maybe I won't buy a whole lot, but I do need to get out of the "I'm a size 2 or 3X" mindset.

Maybe I'll even try on a skirt or two.

I haven't worn a skirt (except on my wedding day) since gaining the weight. Funny how I developed all these 'rules' about what I can and can't wear - maybe those 'rules' are all wrong???? For instance - no skirts, no belts, no light colours on the bottom, hardly any colours at all (think black, navy or rarely..grey), plain loafers, lots of 'all black' ensembles, no patterns, hardly any jewellery, no coloured shoes or socks...

Hmmph.

:o

pennink
Thu, Aug-23-07, 12:43
citrus, you gotta break your own rules, girlfriend!!!! NO jewellery! I thought you had to have it every day, like water...

If you want to see, go 'shopping'. Try on all kinds of things you thought were against the rules and just take a gander at yourself (wear good foundation garments when shopping so you get a good look)

Thought I posted this here, but seems to have disappeared.

Vanity sizing: remember in the 70s (if you were born--and I hate you if you werent) a 10 was a nice, average size? Well, a zero now is about what a 5/6 was then. Manufacturers learned to cut larger--or basically switch the size labels--so you buy feeling awesome that you fit into a lower size.

In the 70s and even till the 80s, Bridal gowns were the opposite. If you took a 12 normally, you're dress would probably be a 10. Now, it's the 10 Bride looking at 12s and 14s. You must remember, it's not the size that counts it's how the clothing fits ya!!!!

neverwhere
Thu, Aug-23-07, 12:46
Citrus, yes. It all depends on the store and brand. And of course the fabric and cut. It's called vanity sizing.

In NY&CO, an XL top is slightly tight. Yet I have shirts in my closet from Ann Taylor LOFT that are a size medium, and fit almost perfect. Same with the pants. A 14 in NY&CO is camel toe tight, but the 14p in ATL is perfect right now.

SandyDown
Thu, Aug-23-07, 13:05
hmmm am abit confused about turtleneck, all the time here (in the UK) we are bombarded how it should be avoided, because they make you look as if you have no neck, also make your boobs look huge and saggy (because the point of start at top of the neck to your lowest point of your boob is longer than it is for other designs)..... the fashion advice here in many fashion programmes that we should go for V or square cut round the neck because it does the opposite, i.e. elongate the neck (noble neck/chest kind of effect) also shows a hint (teese) of a feminine cleavage!!

I used to get turtle necks all the time, but now I converted to V & square necks, frankly both look nice in some way, but when overweight I'd have thought that we should go for the open V neck for the elongation effect!! mind you it gets darn cold here in the winter so I end up wrapping a bright silk scarves round my neck :( so perhaps same effect as a turtleneck !!

pennink
Thu, Aug-23-07, 13:08
Turtles are good... repeat after me....

IF you wear a very good one. Those kind of cottony-polyester ones that sag, NO NO NO!!!!, but a lovely knit that hugs your bosom and neck, YES YES YES-- price tag makes the difference.

I think the sleeveless and the short sleeves are good. Not really interested in the long sleeved for me. Wearing the right jewellery with them helps break up that 'stretch'.

Citruskiss
Thu, Aug-23-07, 13:16
I'm relieved to know that my love of turtlenecks makes me at least somewhat stylish at times... :lol:

The 'no jewellery' thing - well, more like...'nothing too flashy, nothing overly noticeable'. Um, I wear silver or pearl stud earrings 99.99% of the time.

Ok - where to get the 'good' turtlenecks? I bought them in Lane Bryant (plus size clothing chain in the US) last year, and I know that's not going to work for me this year.

Didy
Thu, Aug-23-07, 13:17
Congratulations pennink!

I loved that turtleneck dress too - wow...really pretty, and simple too.

I took a look at the Coldwater Creek, and there are some things in there that might work for me too. I think I saw one of these stores at the Flatiron Crossing mall.

I must admit that part of the problem I'm having is making myself venture into stores that aren't plus size. Awhile back, I was really surprised to find that things in the Eddie Bauer store fit me. I tentatively sort of wandered around...afraid to actually try anything on, for fear it would be too small. Kbring them back". :o

Don't forget to check out the Outlet stores for both Coldwater Creek and Eddie Bauer (I do it online; coldwatercreek.com and eddiebauer.com - look for the "outlet" tab). You can get the same exact stuff they are selling in their stores for a fraction of the cost! I've done it PLENTY of times. If you know what you want, and know what size, it's a great way to go. Also, Landsend has an Overstocks section. :thup:

pennink
Thu, Aug-23-07, 13:23
ah shopping for me is something i can't tell you as I live in Canada. I buy mine at The Bay... high end department store... or if I'm really having a good month... Holt Renfrew.

pennink
Thu, Aug-23-07, 13:26
ohhhh, now this is a necklace... wow

http://www.holtrenfrew.com/english/fashion/index.php?brand=599&expand=w

leslieam
Thu, Aug-23-07, 13:32
OH the more belts the merrier from what I've seen. Some cool ones, too. Wide backs, then two narrow belts to hold them (but there's a gap between where the wide belt stops and the thin ones run across your tummy---mmmm, clear as mud, eh?)

Big belts define a small waist! Don't you just eat up the compliments!!!!!?? love them.

Penni - that's a corset belt, yes? I think that's what I've seen those called. Tyra Banks (I love her!!) wore a brown one (with a black sleevless turtleneck dress and kickin' brown heels) on one of her shows.

pennink
Thu, Aug-23-07, 13:36
yeah! very hot... oh, notice... turtleneck...

Bad turtleneck (notice it's not shape hugging and out of cotton)
http://www.landsend.com/pp/SeamlessTurtleneck-63178_25308_59.html?CM_MERCH=SRCH

good turtleneck

http://www1.bloomingdales.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?b=0&ID=94428&CategoryID=2910&PseudoCat=b.comSearch&PageID=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch%2Ebloomingdales%2Ecom%2Fexec%2F%3Fu1%3Dq%26pdp%5Fnav%3D1%26q%3Dturtleneck%26n%3D14

leslieam
Thu, Aug-23-07, 13:36
ohhhh, now this is a necklace... wow

http://www.holtrenfrew.com/english/fashion/index.php?brand=599&expand=w
I would so totally wear that. I swear I would..... :agree:

pennink
Thu, Aug-23-07, 13:39
I would so totally wear that. I swear I would..... :agree:

I'm going over next week (holt's is near me) and getting this. Heck, it's only 175 bucks. AHAHAHAHAH!!!!! well, maybe when I get to onederland... a reward.

SherryJ
Thu, Aug-23-07, 13:48
Leslie, that would look great on you!! :agree:

And, I'm SURE the same could be said of YOU, pen... if we could ONLY see you! :lol:

Thanks, Girls, for listing where you shop... that gives me places to check out!

Speaking of checking out, I want to do this in another 30 pounds:

http://www.missussmartypants.com/

Probably should do it now AND then... AND at goal! :p

I'm "just afraid" my shape will change so much between now and 30 more gone... and, where does the money come for ALL those clothes?!?!? :lol:

Sherry

Citruskiss
Thu, Aug-23-07, 14:44
Leslie, that would look great on you!! :agree:

And, I'm SURE the same could be said of YOU, pen... if we could ONLY see you! :lol:

Thanks, Girls, for listing where you shop... that gives me places to check out!

Speaking of checking out, I want to do this in another 30 pounds:

http://www.missussmartypants.com/

Probably should do it now AND then... AND at goal! :p

I'm "just afraid" my shape will change so much between now and 30 more gone... and, where does the money come for ALL those clothes?!?!? :lol:

Sherry

That smartypants thing looks really neat. I could use all the help I can get when it comes to my clothing/style makeover...

And I'm with you on wondering just how much a person's shape will change with the next round of weight loss.

I'm amazed at the number of people who'll order clothing online - maybe once I have a better idea of my actual size, and how the brands/stores 'fit' me, I'll have the courage to try ordering things like turtlenecks online. For now though, because I'm not all that clear on sizes/brands - I think I'd better be trying stuff on for awhile first, before buying.

I *want* to go to an outlet mall! There's one about half an hour's drive from here, and I went there just once, and looked in their plus store...did not venture into the other stores, and I really like the idea of finding deals from better stores, especially knowing that I just might...just might actually get to goal sometime in the next decade. So I really don't want to buy a whole bunch of stuff, only to have it not fit again in a few month's time. Just a few pieces to get me through fall without having stuff flop all over me. No expensive jackets or tailored shirts...not doing that again.

Last January, my husband bought me a new winter coat.

It's way too big for me now, and I wore it for like three months.

I am very, very glad I saved my 'old' winter coat. One that I had when I was much slimmer. I *think* it's still in style..I hope it is. It was very expensive, which is why I held onto it - dreaming of the day when I'd be able to wear it again. Well, it fits me perfectly now...provided I don't lose too much...I think I can get away with it.

I just might see if I can find a way to take a pic of 'the coat' and post it in here and see what everyone thinks. I bought it um...almost seven years ago.

Ok - gotta get off this forum!!!

Sara

SandyDown
Thu, Aug-23-07, 15:02
Citruskiss - your posts are a real puzzle, mate you are only a 150 lbs and you are 5'6, this makes you within the normal weight range, I don't understand why you have so little confidence, I am sure with your height/weight you should have no problem with buying very very stylish clothes.

SherryJ
Thu, Aug-23-07, 15:32
Sandy, you've made a good point. :)

And, SARA... you're BEAUTIFUL on TOP of all that! :wave:

Sherry

Scarlet
Thu, Aug-23-07, 15:32
This is a very interesting thread. I am very very much an apple. I have very very big bosoms, a very small back (30) and a very large cup size. My weight is mainly centered on my chest followed by my stomach and then my face. I have a small bottom half; always have to wear at least one size smaller on the bottom half.

I usually wear black v neck or dark brown v necks with funky skirts and nice jeans and shoes. I always wear coordinating jewelry. Finding dresses is impossible for me so I've given up on that one. I wear bright colours on my bottom half and the darker ones on the top. Any other clothing you would recommend that I buy or steer clear of?

SandyDown
Thu, Aug-23-07, 15:43
Sandy, you've made a good point. :)

And, SARA... you're BEAUTIFUL on TOP of all that! :wave:

Sherry

Oh just looked at the photos, yes you really do look great, now I want you to go into the best shop at your nearest shopping mall walk like a diva, and ask the shopping assistant to bring you their most goooooregeous designs, try them all, and you'll see....

btw: please post some photos when you decide to get something :)

Citruskiss
Thu, Aug-23-07, 15:47
Citruskiss - your posts are a real puzzle, mate you are only a 150 lbs and you are 5'6, this makes you within the normal weight range, I don't understand why you have so little confidence, I am sure with your height/weight you should have no problem with buying very very stylish clothes.

Thank you :)

I think that I skipped a step in there somewhere, and my weight loss has *not* been linear at all. This has taken me more than two years, and I stalled out (or rather, chose to maintain) for a good long while there. Then in the last few months, I quit dairy (realized I'm intolerant), lost a bunch...then went on a trip and went off plan - came home up six pounds...then again, dropped 12 pounds in little over a week. I was at the same size there for the longest time...the 14-16 at Lane Bryant, or the 'x' or sometimes even a 1X.

Last time I went shopping at Lane Bryant - the stuff was too big. And I found myself wandering around the mall, not sure about going into other stores...I was excited, but nervous too - like maybe things weren't going to fit me.

I'm only just now venturing into the other stores, and trying to figure out what will work for me. There is next to nothing in my closet that fits. I bought a few cheap t-shirt type tops about three weeks ago, and that's it.

So I really am looking forward to going through the stores this fall and re-discovering my style (whatever that may be..lol!).

Sara

Citruskiss
Thu, Aug-23-07, 15:53
I started this thing in January of 2005. Then I moved to the US in spring of 2005 - and from there, all the weight loss just stopped. Lotsa stress (new stepfamily, new home, new everything)...

In this picture - you'll see where I was - a size 14W coat that I was all excited about (black of course!)..

And I stayed there from April of '05 all the way till spring of '07. There were a few little ups and downs...but I was *stuck* right here (the second coat picture):

http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/files/7/0/7/6/8/coatcomparison-med.jpg

You see that second jacket? The one I was thrilled to fit into? It's way too big on me now. But, that said - I wore it last fall, and although it was a little loose, it still worked. Not anymore. I look ridiculous in it.

Fast forward to spring - and hey..I don't need a jacket anyway. The new winter coat my husband bought me last January is too big. My old lightweight black jacket (seen in second set of photos) is too big.

So now, I have nothing... :D

Wifezilla
Thu, Aug-23-07, 17:16
Do you have any consigment stores near you? Sell your old stuff and use the proceeds for new things :D

pennink
Thu, Aug-23-07, 17:26
OH Citrus I love the way you did the scarf at the neck...

K, let's find some cute stuff for you!

love this one:
http://www1.bloomingdales.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=77034&CategoryID=5587&PageID=5587*1*24*-1*-1*-1*12

and this one too:
http://www1.bloomingdales.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=93322&CategoryID=5587&PageID=5587*1*24*-1*-1*-1*9

they are classics! If you go camel, with your colouring, I'd do a bright bright scarf of pagmina and matching gloves. Sapphire blue?

Citruskiss
Thu, Aug-23-07, 18:24
WOW!

I love both of those coats. And I *would* like to get away from the same old, same old with the black or navy stuff. As you can see - it's loafers, straight black jacket...and I will try to add a tiny little thing (like that scarf) but the overall look is a bit severe and dated (imo).

I really, really like the two coats you found for me :rheart:

If you look in my journal - you'll see that I posted some new pics - what I look like in that tired old back jacket nowadays. - Never mind - I decided to go ahead and post the pics in here too. Just so people can see how 'bad' an ill-fitting coat can look...lol!

I do have an old winter coat - and am not sure if it's out of date or not...I'll see if I can't get a pic posted of it - I want to know if people think it's 'dated' now - since I bought it in 1999. It's a Jones New York navy blue cashmere coat, and I got it 'on sale' (cough, cough...) for about $595. It was a high price to pay for a coat, which is why I held onto it.

Meanwhile, I really like the olive and the camel colours you've suggested. This is just the kind of 'help' I need. Gotta get away from the old 'safe' colours, which were probably all wrong for me anyway... :o

I just have to say - this is sooo much fun - that you've started this thread and are helping us all find our way to our new fashionable selves. Neat, neat, neat!

Sara

Citruskiss
Thu, Aug-23-07, 18:33
I hope this is ok - I do want to stay 'on topic' - but here's what that size 14 lightweight black jacket looks like on me as of this afternoon:

And yeah , I chopped my head off in one of the pics - not feeling very pretty these days.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/files/7/0/7/6/8/Thatsameblackcoat003.jpg

http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/files/7/0/7/6/8/Thatsameblackcoat007.jpg

So that's the smallest jacket/coat that I own right now, except this one old navy blue coat that I've held onto. Meanwhile - you're giving me ideas about colours like camel and olive.... :D

Citruskiss
Thu, Aug-23-07, 18:34
Also - does anyone notice something *really* weird about losing weight - that suddenly all your sleeves are too long? I don't get that.

pennink
Thu, Aug-23-07, 18:45
Also - does anyone notice something *really* weird about losing weight - that suddenly all your sleeves are too long? I don't get that.

AND pants! I feel like I need higher and higher heels!!!!

K, I have a good feeling a Jones NY coat will be a classic. I still have some from 1999 or so that I still get compliments on. (Ever notice on Seinfeld that the clothes don't look that dated? CLASSICS! yep. Like camel coats, white blouses, simple dockers... last forever)

You look amazing!

SherryJ
Thu, Aug-23-07, 19:50
Ohhhh, I agree with pen... the CAMEL would look MAHHHH-VELOUS on you, Sara! :agree:

Sherry

Citruskiss
Thu, Aug-23-07, 20:23
Thank you all so much - you're making me feel pretty... :rheart:

I swear - there is this 'ugly duckling' phase that a person goes through (well, me anyway) while losing the weight. Does anyone else feel that way?

Some kind of metamorphosis - and in the meantime, during that 'phase' ...well I don't know about everyone else, but I do know that I personally do have a tough time knowing what to buy and what to wear.

There's this awkward, gawky phase.

I am kind of irritated that my rings are loose, my feet are slimmer, ...well, all the parts that I don't really care about are all tiny, and the rest of me is still...round.

:lol:

Wifezilla
Thu, Aug-23-07, 21:49
I swear - there is this 'ugly duckling' phase that a person goes through (well, me anyway) while losing the weight. Does anyone else feel that way?

Oh heck yeah! I am all lumpy right now. I sure as hell hope this evens out eventually!!!

Scarlet
Fri, Aug-24-07, 01:04
Pennink

Any advice for me? See my post above...

OtherCher2
Fri, Aug-24-07, 08:29
Thank you all so much - you're making me feel pretty... :rheart:

Some kind of metamorphosis - and in the meantime, during that 'phase' ...well I don't know about everyone else, but I do know that I personally do have a tough time knowing what to buy and what to wear.

There's this awkward, gawky phase.

I am kind of irritated that my rings are loose, my feet are slimmer, ...well, all the parts that I don't really care about are all tiny, and the rest of me is still...round.

:lol:

I am going through the very same thing right now! For me it was all the years that I just QUIT thinking about me and let myself go. Now I don't know my style or what I even look like. I called my daughter a few minutes ago and told her that I need her to take some pictures of me while I'm playing with the grandkiddos or just mingling at a family get-together so I can look at them later and see what I look like. I did go to the make-up counter recently and got a total facial makeover and bought everything they suggested and I've quit dyeing my hair that hideous too dark brown (I am very light complexioned), but am wearing nothing but black clothes because I don't know what else to try. Pennink has given me some great ideas about colorful tops to wear with my black slacks. I'm taking a week off from my job the first week of September and plan to hit the mall and try on things and try to find my style again.

pennink
Fri, Aug-24-07, 08:42
This is a very interesting thread. I am very very much an apple. I have very very big bosoms, a very small back (30) and a very large cup size. My weight is mainly centered on my chest followed by my stomach and then my face. I have a small bottom half; always have to wear at least one size smaller on the bottom half.

I usually wear black v neck or dark brown v necks with funky skirts and nice jeans and shoes. I always wear coordinating jewelry. Finding dresses is impossible for me so I've given up on that one. I wear bright colours on my bottom half and the darker ones on the top. Any other clothing you would recommend that I buy or steer clear of?

As an apple shape, you need to play up the great bottom half. Try empire waisted dresses.
You're the reverse of me, so keep the dark colours on top, watch out for chunky jewellery! try those long chains with a big charm, like a metal heart or something wonderful that falls long. or resin clear beads so you have sparkle, but not drawing attention to your bosom.
Don't go skinny leg jeans with a huge top or you'll look pregnant. think about georgette tunics that flow, but have a nice flat look on your tummy.
Small flare legged pants will balance you out.
show off those legs! there are some awesome little dresses now (kind of a peasant style) that would look great!

I'd die to have nice legs. Lypo anyone?

Citruskiss
Fri, Aug-24-07, 09:31
I am going through the very same thing right now! For me it was all the years that I just QUIT thinking about me and let myself go. Now I don't know my style or what I even look like. I called my daughter a few minutes ago and told her that I need her to take some pictures of me while I'm playing with the grandkiddos or just mingling at a family get-together so I can look at them later and see what I look like. I did go to the make-up counter recently and got a total facial makeover and bought everything they suggested and I've quit dyeing my hair that hideous too dark brown (I am very light complexioned), but am wearing nothing but black clothes because I don't know what else to try. Pennink has given me some great ideas about colorful tops to wear with my black slacks. I'm taking a week off from my job the first week of September and plan to hit the mall and try on things and try to find my style again.

I can really relate to this - this idea of 'not bothering' for years because of the weight gain, and then suddenly - paying attention again, and not knowing what to do... :rolleyes:

I hope that pennink realizes how much this thread she's started is helping us all.

There's this feeling of..."Whoa...there's a *person* in there...and she needs dressing".

Before, I'd just throw on whatever. Fling my hair back into a ponytail and be done with it. Tried to just disappear into the background as much as possible (clothing wise), so as not to accentuate the weight. Blah, dreary clothing. And I didn't care.

Oh sure, I tried to dress nicely (but plainly)...but the thing is - I didn't even like the stuff I've found in the plus size stores - it was always difficult for me to find anything I liked at Lane Bryant. It seemed to me that in terms of plus size clothing (well, this is my experience anyway) that the clothing is either 'too young' or 'too old fashioned'.

And now I find myself staring in the mirror, going..."Huh? Where'd you come from?"

And ..."You mean I get to shop for stuff I like????? It's been so long that I don't even know what that is..."

:D

OtherCher2
Fri, Aug-24-07, 09:54
Citruskiss, I'm going to take all the tips Pennink gave me and start by incorporating that into my wardrobe. This thread has been a trememdous blessing to me....just what I (and apparently alot of others) needed right now.

MamaSara6
Fri, Aug-24-07, 10:00
I have a question about the shoes!!!

I have terrible bunions so I try to wear shoes that don't hurt, or take them off asap. Since I have 6 kids and can't afford Jimmy Choos, how high do I have to go price-wise to get comfortable heels? I have a pair of Liz Claiborne's that I totally splurged on last year---paid about $40 on clearance---and they actually feel pretty good for a longer time time than usual. What do you recommend?

penelope
Fri, Aug-24-07, 10:12
I am looking into a nice shirt and pants but white is a hard color to wear for me, it could be better to get a shirt that would elongate me as near as the color of the pants as possible, it is hard to be a short apple Spring.

RobinB
Fri, Aug-24-07, 10:15
If you get the TLC channel, watch "What Not to Wear." The hosts makeover the wardrobes of women of all sizes and shapes.

Plus, it's fun to watch them throw out the current wardrobe.

leslieam
Fri, Aug-24-07, 10:56
If you get the TLC channel, watch "What Not to Wear." The hosts makeover the wardrobes of women of all sizes and shapes.

Plus, it's fun to watch them throw out the current wardrobe.
That is one of my favorite shows, Robin!

Enomarb
Fri, Aug-24-07, 13:08
Hi-
what a fun thread! Thanks for all your help, Penni. You really know your stuff- and congrats on the promotion.

Sara (Citrus)- I feel like I could have written some of your posts- and wrote some like them- 2-3 years ago. I've been maintaining now- and will offer what I have learned after going from a 16/18 to a 4/6/8/10. Penni- please feel free to comment or correct.
1. GET A NEW BRA!!! You cannot imagine the difference a new bra in the correct size makes. I was in a 38DDD and now wear a 34DD. It is amazing. Go to a Macys or similar department store with a big 'intimates' department. Ask if they have trained bra fitters. They will measure you, then help you pick a bunch of bras. After you put them on, with your permission, they will come and look at the fit. It is really worth it- and then throw away all your old bras.
2. Size does NOT matter. Like Penni says the sizes have all changed. I wear a 4 in DKNY pants, a 6 in the Gap and my new Jeanstar jeans, and a 10 in other things. I just keep on trying and trying. My DD got me to realize that I was trying on things at least 1-2 sizes too big- no wonder it didn't look good.
3. Try on lots and lots and lots of clothes. I like places like TJ Maxx and Marshalls- you can get a shopping cart and just try on all you want. And department stores like Macys are great- find a salesperson who is dressed in a way you like and tell her you need help. Barbara was one I asked- told her I had lost over 50 lbs and did not have any idea what to wear. She still says hi to me- 3 years later! Try on all kinds of things- things that used to look good on you (my translation for stuff that covered me up) will no longer fit- trust me! I am still trying to wear more fitted clothes- it is not yet comfortable. But I am now having fun wearing new fashions and trying new things.
4. Give yourself permission to look good, feel good, and wear clothes that fit. For me, all it took was a new pair of jeans (Target- size 10) and those new bras and a few shirts and I felt like a million bucks. YOU ARE WORTH IT!

I think I've taken my own advice- so much stuff I nw have a full closet! My new rule for clothes is I have to LOVE it, it has to LOOK GREAT, and be in great shape. So I love all my new clothes- gave away all the rest. (Tried alterations- nothing ever looked right.)
Have fun-
HTH-
E

Citruskiss
Fri, Aug-24-07, 13:31
Hi-
what a fun thread! Thanks for all your help, Penni. You really know your stuff- and congrats on the promotion.

Sara (Citrus)- I feel like I could have written some of your posts- and wrote some like them- 2-3 years ago. I've been maintaining now- and will offer what I have learned after going from a 16/18 to a 4/6/8/10. Penni- please feel free to comment or correct.
1. GET A NEW BRA!!! You cannot imagine the difference a new bra in the correct size makes. I was in a 38DDD and now wear a 34DD. It is amazing. Go to a Macys or similar department store with a big 'intimates' department. Ask if they have trained bra fitters. They will measure you, then help you pick a bunch of bras. After you put them on, with your permission, they will come and look at the fit. It is really worth it- and then throw away all your old bras.
2. Size does NOT matter. Like Penni says the sizes have all changed. I wear a 4 in DKNY pants, a 6 in the Gap and my new Jeanstar jeans, and a 10 in other things. I just keep on trying and trying. My DD got me to realize that I was trying on things at least 1-2 sizes too big- no wonder it didn't look good.
3. Try on lots and lots and lots of clothes. I like places like TJ Maxx and Marshalls- you can get a shopping cart and just try on all you want. And department stores like Macys are great- find a salesperson who is dressed in a way you like and tell her you need help. Barbara was one I asked- told her I had lost over 50 lbs and did not have any idea what to wear. She still says hi to me- 3 years later! Try on all kinds of things- things that used to look good on you (my translation for stuff that covered me up) will no longer fit- trust me! I am still trying to wear more fitted clothes- it is not yet comfortable. But I am now having fun wearing new fashions and trying new things.
4. Give yourself permission to look good, feel good, and wear clothes that fit. For me, all it took was a new pair of jeans (Target- size 10) and those new bras and a few shirts and I felt like a million bucks. YOU ARE WORTH IT!

I think I've taken my own advice- so much stuff I nw have a full closet! My new rule for clothes is I have to LOVE it, it has to LOOK GREAT, and be in great shape. So I love all my new clothes- gave away all the rest. (Tried alterations- nothing ever looked right.)
Have fun-
HTH-
E

This was truly excellent - thank you so much for sharing your experience. I am sure that along with me, it will be a big help to others who are also going through that "I don't know what to wear" phase, or the 'ugly duckling' phase.

Yep - everything's all baggy.

Since it's the tail end of summer, I'm going to wait a few weeks, and then start trying on all kinds of stuff. I'm not going to buy tons and tons of things, because I'm not yet at goal - but I do think it's time for me to get a style adjustment, and definitely time to get a few clothes that actually fit me.

I had a similar experience a few weeks ago - my stepdaughter and I went shopping together, and she was the one who had to keep telling me, "No - that's too big". Then she'd pick up something and say 'how bout this?' and I'd say, "Oh, I don't think that will fit, it'll be too small".

lol!

I'll get there.

I am looking forward to this. Still got a ways to go, but I think it's ok for me to start now.

Penni - just out of curiosity - what are your personal favourite colours for this fall? Other than um...black, navy, black and more black (the old me) ?

Citruskiss
Fri, Aug-24-07, 13:36
I am looking into a nice shirt and pants but white is a hard color to wear for me, it could be better to get a shirt that would elongate me as near as the color of the pants as possible, it is hard to be a short apple Spring.

I certainly don't have an answer for this, but I wanted to ask you something...

How do you find out if you're a 'spring' ?

JAnn
Fri, Aug-24-07, 14:50
I certainly don't have an answer for this, but I wanted to ask you something...

How do you find out if you're a 'spring' ?It's called color analysis. There is a book called, "Color Me Beautiful" that started it all. Basically, a person's skin tones fall into four different categories, (i.e, spring, summer, autumn and winter) and they have different shades of color that look good on them. "Springs" look best in bright colors with yellow undertones, "summers" look best in more muted shades with blue undertones, "autumns" looks best in muted colors with yellow undertones, and "winters" look best in clear sharp colors. There are variations of this theory, of course.

penelope
Fri, Aug-24-07, 14:53
Years ago ther was a book on color for different complexion and using the explanations plus a friend to tell you if a color looks good on you when you are not wearing any makeup. Sometimes it is too pale or too rich or too cold and make your face look sick and you go from there. I know that a certain white is good but stark white is not. I know that a melon red is better than a chinese red.

SherryJ
Fri, Aug-24-07, 15:09
There's this feeling of..."Whoa...there's a *person* in there...and she needs dressing". Ohhh, Sara! I took my MIL shopping this week. She's been a widow for 8 months now, and it was HUGE step for her to try on everything I picked out for her. She got... EVERYTHING!!!

We chat every night, and during our conversation last night, she was telling me about her day. I stopped her, and asked what she wore/what jewerly/etc... and, she... GIGGLED as she answered! Now, you've got to know I've been married to Mr. Wonderful, her son, for over 20 years, and I've NEVER heard her GIGGLE!!! She pretty much said the same words you did above... What a VERY COOL thing!

E, you are right about getting clothing that FITS. Amazing. I have two boys, ages 7 and about-to-be-TEN! (ack!) Anyway, in Feb, I got into jeans for the 1st time in 14 YEARS!!! I REFUSED to buy jeans bigger than a 14, reasoning, "There's NO WAY my butt can look good in those!", but proceeded to wear baggy pants from Walmart, and WAY oversized shirts! (I comfortably wear a loose 18 now, down from a 24/26. Those 14's were TIGHT - but, I was 'n 'm!!!) :lol: :lol:

Long story short, :D, I'm just now getting comfortable wearing snug(er) fitting clothing, at least around the house! :lol: I had a Lane Bryant XL T-shirt on, and my youngest said I "looked about 20" with it on! He TOTALLY knew!!! I was shocked... and (secretly) pleased!

I'm not to the point of wearing stuff like that out SIDE of my house - yet - as I think "I don't wanna see it, why would "they"!!?!?" I have to remember that "people aren't thinking about ME, they are too worried about what I'm thinking about THEM!) A little atta time, huh!? ;)

pen! I've been excited for you ALL day! Yep, YOU were on my mind as I was getting my hair cut! :lol: (I look adorable, by the way!) Did you say when you're new job started, and I can't find that info?

Sherry

pennink
Fri, Aug-24-07, 16:10
Hi guys, I only have a sec, I'll answer the questions later tonight. It's not really a promotion, it's kind of a new responsibility. They recognize at work that I 'get' fashion. My last column was about how to fit a bra, and this one will be how to properly shop for the right clothes. I'll link to both when they're posted, I can't put the stuff here.

Really really really emotional day today. I've decided to sell my daughter's show horse. She wasn't really 'in' to the shows as much and it's costing me so much per month, I couldn't even print it here. I would be better off focusing on her university savings as that's coming up in a few years (fast).

If she's not really thrilled any more... sigh. So hard, I'm TOTALLY in love with the horse. I adore her.

very sad day.

SherryJ
Fri, Aug-24-07, 17:05
(((((pen...))))) I've read, in other threads, how MUCH you LOVE your horses... I'm proud of you for making the decision you've come to, but WOW, I ache for YOUR ache!

It's been a sad day here as well... a funeral, and after watching MIL learn to be a widow in the last eight months, I ache for the new-this-week-widow, dear friend of mine...

Sigh...

Sherry

LisaS
Fri, Aug-24-07, 17:23
excellent thread -
condolences on the horse decision pennick - that's a tough one.

now -- what on earth do I do with my hair - it has been long and straight (like don't sit on it long) for years and years - and coupled with that is no clue/inclination to "do" anything with hair to "be ready" -- but I need to cut it and be more age-appropriate (later 40s) - I don't even know where to look for ideas? Are there hair style sites? I don't even know what a "reverse flip" or "reverse bob" are.

How do you know what would look good on you - my face is changing as I lose weight - but I am tired of hiding behind long hair - what about color or highlights or whatever they do now?

pennink
Fri, Aug-24-07, 18:08
I have a question about the shoes!!!

I have terrible bunions so I try to wear shoes that don't hurt, or take them off asap. Since I have 6 kids and can't afford Jimmy Choos, how high do I have to go price-wise to get comfortable heels? I have a pair of Liz Claiborne's that I totally splurged on last year---paid about $40 on clearance---and they actually feel pretty good for a longer time time than usual. What do you recommend?

Hi! My sister has bunions and found that a wider, sling back with a pointy toe (but modest heel, 2 inches) were better for her. She could adjust the strap and make them comfortable. She got hers at Payless!

Remember that round toes are in, too!

pennink
Fri, Aug-24-07, 18:11

something with a vertical stripe, very fine, or even textured stripe would look nice. White needs great makeup, and a fabulous piece of jewellery for some people. consider navy too! maybe with a very small peridot echoed with a lovely string of medium-sized round beads!

pennink
Fri, Aug-24-07, 18:21
excellent thread -
condolences on the horse decision pennick - that's a tough one.

now -- what on earth do I do with my hair - it has been long and straight (like don't sit on it long) for years and years - and coupled with that is no clue/inclination to "do" anything with hair to "be ready" -- but I need to cut it and be more age-appropriate (later 40s) - I don't even know where to look for ideas? Are there hair style sites? I don't even know what a "reverse flip" or "reverse bob" are.

How do you know what would look good on you - my face is changing as I lose weight - but I am tired of hiding behind long hair - what about color or highlights or whatever they do now?

I'm not a hair dresser, and I know there are rules (can even find them online) about what haircuts suit which face shapes.
A reverse bob is like a page boy (remember them?) and then you blow dry with a round brush to flip out the bottom. A great look if your hair is straight and pretty easy to do. I had a bob for a while and just used my flat iron to smooth it each morning. Really easy.

It's going to be traumatic cutting your hair. donate it to Cancer wigs, okay?
Take a look at hairstyles on line. Decide what is important to you, do you want to put it in a pony tail or bun? do you have time to fuss?
Long hair really can date us, as we age it's not as bouncy and can draw our faces down (not a good thing as gravity is already doing that)

Flatirons
I want to say a word about flat irons. Spend the money on a really really good ceramic iron from your hairdresser or hairdresser supply. I spent about 150 Canadian and would have saved myself a ton of money over the years (and frustration) if I'd have just popped for the good one. They really really work sooooooooooooo much better! The 25 dollar ones are garbage.

SherryJ
Fri, Aug-24-07, 22:02
A few years ago, maybe six(?), I visited a site where you could load a picture of yourself, and then "try" hairstyles on online... couldn't find it tonight, but there I'm sure it would still be out there. :)

Sherry

SandyDown
Sat, Aug-25-07, 03:31
Penni, I bought a GHD flat iron (which is supposed to be top of the line here) about 3-4 years ago, and I have bought a T3 hair dryer a few months ago, the flat irons really do take its toll on the hair, after using for a year or so, my hair was started to break and never seemed to grow longer (cuz its breakin off at the end)... I have been off the flat iron for a almost 7 months now and my hair condition is so much better and growing nicely now... I don't advice anyone to use a flat irons especially on daily basis. If the hair is too uncontrolled IMO you should try Yuko system thermal reconditioning, which can result in getting the hair either poker straight or naturally wavey depends on the look you want.. you don't need to do anything else with it, just wash and go.

Citruskiss
Sat, Aug-25-07, 10:14
Speaking of hair smoothing - awhile back, my hairdresser introduced me to this new shampoo and conditioner, called "Tigi S Factor". It's ridiculously expensive, so I don't buy it often, and I've been able to find it online for less....(about half what the salons and stores charge for it).

But - it's the very best 'smoothing' shampoo and conditioner I've ever used. Incredible stuff. That said, it only seems to work well for me in drier climates - such as in Colorado. When I went to Vancouver to visit my family, I found the S Factor was 'too heavy' so it won't necessarily work well for everyone.

If you live in a dry climate and want to 'smooth' your hair without needing a flat iron - try some Tigi S Factor shampoo and conditioner sometime - amazing stuff!

pennink
Sat, Aug-25-07, 10:40
Penni, I bought a GHD flat iron (which is supposed to be top of the line here) about 3-4 years ago, and I have bought a T3 hair dryer a few months ago, the flat irons really do take its toll on the hair, after using for a year or so, my hair was started to break and never seemed to grow longer (cuz its breakin off at the end)... I have been off the flat iron for a almost 7 months now and my hair condition is so much better and growing nicely now... I don't advice anyone to use a flat irons especially on daily basis. If the hair is too uncontrolled IMO you should try Yuko system thermal reconditioning, which can result in getting the hair either poker straight or naturally wavey depends on the look you want.. you don't need to do anything else with it, just wash and go.

Ah, you're not using the protective prespray! It's amazing! With good ceramic heads and the heat protective product (different ones, must get them at hairdressers or supply, not just off the rack as that stuff has a lot of alcohol in it)
I won't use a blow dryer very often. They can take their toll.

pennink
Sat, Aug-25-07, 10:43
Speaking of hair smoothing - awhile back, my hairdresser introduced me to this new shampoo and conditioner, called "Tigi S Factor". It's ridiculously expensive, so I don't buy it often, and I've been able to find it online for less....(about half what the salons and stores charge for it).

But - it's the very best 'smoothing' shampoo and conditioner I've ever used. Incredible stuff. That said, it only seems to work well for me in drier climates - such as in Colorado. When I went to Vancouver to visit my family, I found the S Factor was 'too heavy' so it won't necessarily work well for everyone.

If you live in a dry climate and want to 'smooth' your hair without needing a flat iron - try some Tigi S Factor shampoo and conditioner sometime - amazing stuff!

It is awesome. I decided my hair is worth the high-end products. half the stuff in the grocery aisles is like washing your hair with dish soap. I also worked at leaving my hair at least three days between washings.

I lost my hair pretty much a few years ago after losing 133 pounds in 10 months, it came back to be soooo thick! Now I'm really protecting it as I lose again.

conditioner, conditioner, conditioner

SandyDown
Sat, Aug-25-07, 10:44
I did use the protective products Penni – perhaps my hair did not take to it well, mind you am also not the only one who has suffered. Anyway in emergencies yes they can be a life saver, however I wouldn't recommend daily usage.

pennink
Sat, Aug-25-07, 10:49
I did use the protective products Penni – perhaps my hair did not take to it well, mind you am also not the only one who has suffered. Anyway in emergencies yes they can be a life saver, however I wouldn't recommend daily usage.

must be the difference in hair... gotta be. What a bummer. I use a flatiron, hot rollers, at least every day. And wax, and these shine products, and Luminance, and... mousse... and... Sexxy hairspray...

omg, I'm a diva.

SandyDown
Sun, Sep-02-07, 03:56
Penni have one more fashion question, hope you don't mind :)

Its re Shooooooooes... OK its re Boots really, are high boots in or out this year? what styles, I hate the uncomfortable high heel (to me the whole point of wearing boots is the comfort) but they still need to look nice... what do you think of the horse riding like boots ?

Also was always under the impression that boots are No No :nono: to wear with professional clothes i.e. suits etc (I usually wear a suit or sleeveless dress with a jacket on top at work) is this still the case, I can't get myself to wear boots in the office, it just doesn't look right, but not sure if this is because I don't have the right boots/clothes combo.

When wearing boots with casual semi-casual clothes, I wear them with long skirts or jeans, last year many ladies wore boots with slim fitting jeans so they tucked their jeans in the boots, I didn't think that was a classy look for me(perhaps good for teenagers but not for me :) )

Lastly: brown leather or black leather boots, matt or suede? (think the glossy ones are too much :lol: )

Thanks v much in advance

pennink
Sun, Sep-02-07, 06:29
I've seen boots in every shape and size this year. The biggest trend is mile-high boots... ya, prostitute boots. In mushroom leather, soft and supple... all colours in this year.

With lovely a-line tweed skirts and a shorty jacket (think olive green/rust with chocolate boots).

boots with jeans, underneath not tucked in as much, but you'll still see girls tucking.

It's up to your office. I'd be definitely able to wear them to mine, but they'd have to be tall heels and the skirt would need to be a least 4 inches longer than wear the boot starts or I think it looks trampy.

English riding boots (with a flat heel) might... might look ok with the tweed that's everywhere now (and houndstooth pattern --which looks great with yellow btw instead of the expected red). I'm not a fan though, they can look clunky.

One thing in shoes is contrast! no more matchypoo!!!! (yellow heels are IN)

MermaidGir
Sun, Sep-02-07, 13:10
i want in on this...i'm not in the fashion industry but i do live just outside NYC and I do read fashion mags religiously...i love to mix highs n lows, that is, $200 pants from Eileen Fisher + some interesting top from the thrift store.
one suggestion that Pen left out is, always mix your extremes. that is, if you're wearing a flowy top, wear leggins or slim-fit jeans...clothes that are loose all over will make you look bigger than you are. And most of us here prolly wouldn't DARE wear tight all over, but that's also a no-no.
I'm not crazy about Clint & Stacey, i think they try to cram people into a mold but there are definitely ways that one can use fashion to develop their own style.

Scarlet
Sun, Sep-02-07, 15:49
:wave:
You're the reverse of me, so keep the dark colours on top, watch out for chunky jewellery! try those long chains with a big charm, like a metal heart or something wonderful that falls long. or resin clear beads so you have sparkle, but not drawing attention to your bosom.

I'd die to have nice legs. Lypo anyone?

What sort of long chain? Do you mean to my waist? What are resin clear beads?

It's funny I've always found empire waisted dresses make me look pregnant! And I can never find a dress anyway with my 32H boobs and size 8/10 waist. If I find something to fit my boobs it won't fit my waist and vice versa. Very frustrating indeed!

I'd die to have even an E cup! If only we could all share, I could donate some of my breasts :)

JAnn
Sun, Sep-02-07, 16:03
And I can never find a dress anyway with my 32H boobs and size 8/10 waist. If I find something to fit my boobs it won't fit my waist and vice versa. Very frustrating indeed!

I'd die to have even an E cup! If only we could all share, I could donate some of my breasts :)If it's of any interest, when my daughter started working out at her local fitness center and toned up, her cup size went from a C-D to a B!

c_cat
Sun, Sep-02-07, 18:17
OK, so this is probably the least important question on this thread. (way more important are global issues like what fits our bodies, makes us look good).

But I'm curious. Pennink, the big fat magazines (Vogue, Elle) are showing tons of hats and gloves and even some fur.

Is anyone actually going to wear those? Will gloves make me look thinner? :)

paleogal
Sat, Sep-22-07, 19:59
Hi! :wave:
Pennink,
I LOVE this thread, and would really like to continue this as a place to talk about all things related to covering our bums.
I ordered some leggings online this week, and was very careful to measure and order what I thought should be snug on me, you know, so I could shrink into them ;) . When I got them they were HUGE! Nice little ego biscuit, but an inconvenience I wish to avoid in the future. Any suggestions for getting it right the first time?

Also, has anyone ever ordered anything from the Shape FX line that they carry at Newport News and Spiegel? It's supposed to be very slimming. Is it well made?

I have a confession~
I'm a fashion DON'T! Seriously, I wore sweatpants out in public all the time last year. I am in desperate need of any and all pearls of fashion wisdom. I don't follow trends.... I like the classics. Sweatpants are classic, right!!!!! :lol:

penelope
Sat, Sep-22-07, 20:22
Will gloves make me look thinner? New gloves and shoes every year. The only thing I bought while hiding myself in big shirts and big pants.

La flaca
Sat, Sep-22-07, 22:21
Yes ladies, please keep it coming. I LOVE THIS THREAD :thup: :thup:

paleogal
Sat, Sep-22-07, 22:49
I love talking clothes, too.
I just ordered this dress
http://www.spiegel.com/shop/product_single.aspx?style_id=26513015&index=20&gp_coll_id=5001&gp_cat_id=5002&nav_cat_id=8392&category_id=8394
for dh's christmas party. I have high hopes for it. I know shirring in the waist helps hide the buldge. i wish they made it in stretch velour!

Has anyone else been cyber shopping, or ordered anything lately? I'd really love to see what is working for women of all different sizes.
Has anyone else found any interesting dresses for an upcoming holiday party?

pennink
Sun, Sep-23-07, 04:25
Hi!

The only suggestion about ordering tights is to get them ordered to height and size. I'd buy them at a dept store that would let you try them on if they're expensive. Also, look at the amount of cotton in them. A lot and they'll stretch out.

LONG gloves are in this year to go with the coats that have 3/4 sleeves (very 50s and cute!).

No, with my changing shape, I don't trust shopping on line. I need to try on stuff. Not only that so many things are cut differently. I like to look online to see what I like, but then I go instore to make sure it doesn't look weird. So many things do right now! :lol:

MamaSara6
Sun, Sep-23-07, 05:21
I've always like shopping online because I like things better when I get them in the mail and it's a pain to return them! I could never figure out why I didn't like things in the dressing room. I think I've figured it out....

In a dressing room, I know what it really looks like on me! I was trying on the wrong shapes in the wrong sizes (because I was focused on the number, not the fit). If it came in the mail (or out of my closet!), I put it on and looked in my dresser mirror or just looked down and liked it. Since watching "What Not to Wear" I've gotten better about going to dd's full length mirror and I can see that what I thought looked good, doesn't!

Just the other day, I though I looked perfectly cute in jeans/skechers/a top and I looked in DD's mirror. Ew! It was not flattering at all, so I put on a more flattering top and shoes with a little heel and it made a dramatic change. :thup:

So, I'm resolved to use the full-length mirror more often and buy less online (unless maybe it's shoes and gloves).

Just a little tip from another "fashion don't"! :lol:

Enomarb
Sun, Sep-23-07, 10:47
I just got a raincoat from a catalog- and I called in to verify the measurements. I was a 'small'- until I tried it on! No measurements for shoulder width- and that was where the coat was too small! So I had to pay the return shipping to get the medium. But it is a great raincoat!
I really like to try things on, but I will only buy stuff that I can return.
I will take it home and try it on again- in my own room with my clothes and my mirror. If I still love it and it fits and looks good- keeper.
Got a Dana Buchman shirt at Marshall's last week- the Dana tag said $200 but the Marshall's price was $39. I loves it there, but didn't realy decide to keep it until I tried it on at home with a few different outfits. KEEP!
Paleogal- Love the dress, but again I have to try on. If the neckline is too low I just don't feel comfortable- I guess that is one of the wonderful things about fashion- we not only all look different but like different looks!
E

3shewolf8
Sun, Sep-23-07, 14:44
I take offense about the over 30's not shopping in the Juniors area at the stores!! I love the capri jeans, they hide all of the "lumps and bumps" that are on my thighs, and I still feel like I am almost wearing shorts when I go to work. There are also some really cute tops there. Everyone tells me that I look great in the color pink. You really can't find many pink clothes in the women's or misses dept. I am 43 years young, and don't look old because I use tons of lotion, am in good shape, and dress young. If you look good in it, and feel good in it, any kind of clothes should make you feel confident wearing them.

c_cat
Sun, Sep-23-07, 15:22
Ooo I can't wait to shop in the juniors! I didn't know that's where they were hiding the pink clothes!

I'm blonde, blue eyes, pale - pink is great for me! And all I've been able to find for years is salmon. ugh... that orangeish color is not so good for me!

Talking about color - I have a question. Is there anyone who thinks I shouldn't wear sky blue this time of year? I bought a sky blue trenchcoat from Macy's a year or two ago - it didn't really fit, but I thought it would fit soon. Hah! No. It fits now!

It looks more like a spring color to me... but I probably won't be able to wear it by spring. I've worn it out twice and gotten tons of compliments (by "out" I mean I went to Barnes & Noble, and to the grocery store) (by compliments I mean the checkout girls at both places have said, "wow, where can I get that color?")

So can I wear it? Anyone think I can't?

BTW, the color is most like the color blue in the far left middle block of this image:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/bd/Color_icon_blue.svg/250px-Color_icon_blue.svg.png

The fabric looks like a heavy cotton, it's lined, and it's water resistant not water proof.

Citruskiss
Sun, Sep-23-07, 15:36
It'd be nice if the online merchants had a system much like Netflix - where you could order whatever you wanted to try on and then send it back if it didn't fit you or if you didn't like the item as much as you thought you might.

Wouldn't that be a great idea?

Then, people could try on stuff with the clothes they already have too.

At the same time though, it's still nice to go into the stores and see the outfits all put together and so on.

Not having much luck on the shopping front these days myself. I'm just going to get what I can to sort of 'get by' while I lose the last 20+ pounds and then maybe once I get into a better shape and exercise off some of the flab, I'll fit into some things a bit better than I do right now.

That said, I still haven't gone into some of the better stores yet.

Wanted to ask - is the US Thanksgiving weekend that great a deal for shopping? I'm from Canada, where Boxing Day is the big sale day (or week even), and it's not the same here - seems to me that the Friday after Thanksgiving is the crazy sale day...is it worth battling the crowds?

paleogal
Sun, Sep-23-07, 15:50
Shewolf,
You are lucky to have found your own sense of style, and to have what it takes to pull it off with confidence~
You go, Girl!

Eno,
Congrats on the major score at Marshall's! I do love a bargain! Marshall's/ross/tjmaxx are also great places to go try on a bunch of stuff to get a better idea of what size you are and what styles look best on you....as well as sizing differences between various manufacturers~

Sara,
"use the full-length mirror more often and buy less online "
Thanks for sage advice. I got to spend two hours at a mall yesterday all by myself for the first time in 10 years. It was lovely. Next time my kids all go to grandma's house, I am going to go trying on clothes instead of cleaning my house!

Pen,
So many things are looking funny on me right now, too! WAY better than they did 38 pounds ago, though!!!!!!!!!!!
Who are your favorite designer's/manufacturers right now for the fuller-figured woman? What styles make you feel like a zillion bucks?

pennink
Sun, Sep-23-07, 16:04
There are some standbys (most designers love size 8s) but...

Jones of New York, Anne Klein, clothes from Nygard in Canada.

Some Michael Kors and also Foley and Corinna (Jennifer Hudson wore on red carpet)

paleogal
Sun, Sep-23-07, 16:11
Sarah,
It sounds gorgeous! I'd wear it everyday I could, til it just didn't fit me anymore! I saw a lot of blue at the mall yesterday. It seems to be really big this year.

Citrus,
I'm in Denver. Do you live far?
My advice is to skip the friday after thanksgiving shopfest. The best sales are after christmas, with the very best being the president's day sale, and post president's day clearance sales. Dillard's has the best ones I've ever seen here in Denver. Their clearance stuff goes 50% and then 75% off. It winds up that you can get really great stuff for 87.5% off. $200 shoes? 25 bucks! $400 coat? 50 bucks! My husband and I both have a shameful number of ecco shoes thanks to the dillard's after president's day clearance sales! I have a gorgeous winter coat that I am hoping still fits me through this winter (2X) that I bought at Dillard's for 87.5% off!

paleogal
Sun, Sep-23-07, 16:16
Pen,
Yep!
I have a lot of Jones of New York.
Anne Klein has been good to me, too!
I'll check out the others. Thanks!

c_cat
Sun, Sep-23-07, 16:37
Talking about sales. IMO, Talbots has some classic looks and they have an extensive women's and women's petites selection. Some of their clothes were indispensible for me at work, travelling or just looking sharp - especially their cotton blouses with stretch in them. They keep their shape, and they emphasize my shape. I always get compliments.

Anyways, Talbots is kind of pricey new - but they ALWAYS have big sales... and they go down to 75% off.

They're super boring if you want something exciting - but if you want a decent suit in a 12 women's petite, or in an 18 women's or whatever - the sales are amazing.

You can sign up online and they'll tell you when they have a sale. And btw, while there is ONE Talbot's womens (with womens petite) around here - the online store has much bigger selection anyway.

Their clothes are probably way too boring for some - but here's an example:
http://www1.talbots.com/talbotsonline/product/itempage.aspx?item=J87787&PFID=3214&BID=S2007265114411DB29BBFCA63E45AEA36BA1&h=T&sk=O

This jacket WAS $212, and it's 83% off to $34.30. And it's available in 12WP - 24WP.

Their stuff is quality looking, and like this blouse (I have these in sleeveless, short sleeve, and long sleeve) - it is the crispest looking thing in my closet. And this one is marked down from $48 to $17:
http://www1.talbots.com/talbotsonline/product/itempage.aspx?item=M35787&BID=S2007265114411DB29BBFCA63E45AEA36BA1&h=M&sk=T
http://www1.talbots.com/images/colorized/72075005_5024.jpg

I never ever buy fun clothes there - cause I think they're too boring and too expensive. But I've loved buying suits there.

Sarah

paleogal
Sun, Sep-23-07, 17:54
Love the Jacket!
Love the blouse!
Do you think they would look better with my navy blue or my gray heather sweatpants?

paleogal
Sun, Sep-23-07, 17:55
wait for it

pennink
Sun, Sep-23-07, 17:56
Love the Jacket!
Love the blouse!
Do you think they would look better with my navy blue or my gray heather sweatpants?

gray heather... LOL!!!!!!

paleogal
Sun, Sep-23-07, 17:56
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

pennink
Sun, Sep-23-07, 17:58
As long as you wear them with flourescent Crocs

paleogal
Sun, Sep-23-07, 18:02
Oh, Pen, you know me too well!
Although I have no true flourescent crocss, I do have lots of different colors of crocs...(well, airwalks~ payless's version)
and I wear them with wool socks in the wintertime...
whenever I'm not wearing my uggs....
with my sweatpants

paleogal
Sun, Sep-23-07, 18:05
I love fitted jackets like the one Sarah shows. They make a woman look like a woman. I've been afraid of buttons since I gained weight. They always pull, unless I buy, like, a mens xxl flannel shirt from llbean!

HLOKTY
Sun, Sep-23-07, 18:23
Great thread!! And ladies please NEVER ever wear sweatpants in public!!! If you are go camping, that is the exception :P. Otherwise they are a NO.

MamaSara6
Sun, Sep-23-07, 19:01
Oh, wow, NEVER ever wear the leggings and big t-shirts again! I used to do that. :nono: I saw a woman today in them. You know, you look in the mirror and the T hangs down to your crotch so you think its long enough, but it's riding up over your butt in the back showing all the lumps and bumps. It's not a good look for anyone! Can't believe I used to dress like that and thought I was covering up! :blush:

OtherCher2
Mon, Sep-24-07, 09:56
Oh, wow, NEVER ever wear the leggings and big t-shirts again! I used to do that. :nono: I saw a woman today in them. You know, you look in the mirror and the T hangs down to your crotch so you think its long enough, but it's riding up over your butt in the back showing all the lumps and bumps. It's not a good look for anyone! Can't believe I used to dress like that and thought I was covering up! :blush:

Aahhhh....sweet memories! It makes me want to walk up to total strangers and hand them my copy of DANDR! :lol:

MamaSara6
Mon, Sep-24-07, 11:04
Here's a question for Pennink that's been bugging me....

How do you know if it's okay to wear a "classic"? In Style mag. always has these classics that you can spend a mint on and wear forever. But Clint and Stacy rag on people all the time for their outdated clothes. Now, I can understand how a big set of shoulder pads may make something look very 80's, but how do you discern the difference between things that are classic and dated?

For example, my sister gave me a beautiful cream colored coat---light-weight, trench-like. It's Anne Klein, but it seems to be 80's to me. Loose fitting, shoulder pads (but not too large). To Wear or Not to Wear?

HLOKTY
Mon, Sep-24-07, 11:17
Post a picture of it!!

Peacoats, button down fitted shirts, straight leg trousers, pencil skirts...these are classics!

faduckeggs
Mon, Sep-24-07, 12:17
I made a fashion discovery: a properly fitted bra takes inches off your waist.

Following in the footsteps of paleo, et al, I spent a few hours yesterday at Macys, trying on bras and a few random other items.

I thought I wore a 38D bra. Then the Macys bra lady got hold of me. It turns out, I need a 34DD or 34DDD, depending on cut. (And let me make a pitch here for Wacoal -- so comfortable.) Suddenly, I look 15 pounds thinner. I have a waist. I've had three of my girlfriends at work today comment that I look really thin today and that my boobs look great.

(I am wearing the same outfit I wore last week, and I weigh the same that I weighed last week. The only difference is the bra.)

I also found in trying various jeans that my 5'2" body actually looks good in low rise boot cut stretch jeans. I always avoided low rise, because I thought it would make me look shorter. And I assumed "stretch" anything would be bad for my figure. But I looked really good in those jeans.

penelope
Mon, Sep-24-07, 12:37
It turns out, I need a 34DD or 34DDD, depending on cut.
wow! How did it fit around your ribcage? In your old size, did the straps keep falling down?

faduckeggs
Mon, Sep-24-07, 13:59
In my old bras, the straps would never stay up. And if I got them tight enough to not move, they would dig the crap out of my shoulders.

I had constant back pain, which i attributed to weighta nd big breasts. But I had no idea it would go away with a good fitting bra.

The new bra is more snug around the ribcage, but it doesn't hurt or feel too tight.

MamaSara6
Mon, Sep-24-07, 15:24
I'm not huge bust-wise (that's an understatement!), but I'll second your Wacoal plug. I heard that's what Oprah wears and I just thought I'd give them a try when I was shopping one time. I love them! I've tried others since then because they're so expensive, but I'd rather have 2 super-$$$ bras than 6 cheaper uncomfortable ones. I haven't been able to find any that fit as well and look as good.

Elizellen
Mon, Sep-24-07, 16:33
I thought I wore a 38D bra. Then the Macys bra lady got hold of me. It turns out, I need a 34DD or 34DDD, depending on cut. I read somewhere online that the way most shops measure for a bra by adding 4 or 5 inches to the under-breast measurement to get the bra size is a hangover from the old days when they were made of non-stretch materials, and that we should go by the actual measurement around the chest above the breasts instead.

southbel
Mon, Sep-24-07, 20:19
I read somewhere online that the way most shops measure for a bra by adding 4 or 5 inches to the under-breast measurement to get the bra size is a hangover from the old days when they were made of non-stretch materials, and that we should go by the actual measurement around the chest above the breasts instead.
Quite true actually. Plus, the manufacturers are making bras differently now. Those types of guidelines were for those "foundation" type bras that you wore back in the 50's. Yes, ladies, please use your actual measurements for your ribcage measurement. Also, I think a lot of people get hung up on the size, as if the cup size will be too large or something. But, it's not like you are advertising it, just wear what fits. Unfortunately, a lot of stores don't actually carry the sizes most women wear...they carry sizes that are much larger than most women's ribcages, too small and definitely don't carry large enough cup sizes, so going to a good quality lingerie shop would be a good thing!

c_cat
Wed, Sep-26-07, 01:01
Umm, I can't remember where I saw some people talking about recent orders from Chadwick's. But I wanted to say thanks! Apparently you have to be careful about checking their posted sizes - measurements. But I had totally forgotten about them!

They've got some great long wool skirts and some other things that are in fashion now- cheap. And since I'm still losing weight all the time, I don't want to pay much if I can help it.

They have a decent women's section for those of us not a regular 16 yet. :) Yeahh

HLOKTY
Wed, Sep-26-07, 05:13
Chadwick's is great! They have some gorgeous winter coats :). I can't wait to buy a new one!! I love wool peacoats in the winter, with a scarf.

southbel
Wed, Sep-26-07, 18:56
Chadwick's is great! They have some gorgeous winter coats :). I can't wait to buy a new one!! I love wool peacoats in the winter, with a scarf. Oh, I LOVE the peacoat, such a classic. I always have a winter white one and a black one. Although, brown is definitely the IN color for this winter. So, I guess I am going to have to adjust my nearly all black wardrobe :lol: !! However, since I am a huge White House Black Market fan too, I am sure the black peacoat will still get plenty of use too.

By the way, I get plenty of use out of a nice trench coat too. Since I live in a warmer climate, it's great for a dressier jacket but lightweight enough. Of course, you want to get one that's not so "old fashioned" looking. I get one with a little shape to it! Don't want to look like a flasher or anything!

HLOKTY
Thu, Sep-27-07, 05:48
I love winter white peacoats!! Get a red one! I have a red peacoat, its gorgeous and looks great with black :). I need a charcoal gray one this year! I do have a trenchcoat, it should fit me in 15lbs - it is magenta lol! Sounds odd, but its lovely and fitted. I get tons of compliments when I wear it. It's rather bold, but makes me feel happy on a rainy day :P.

southbel
Thu, Sep-27-07, 06:34
I love winter white peacoats!! Get a red one! I have a red peacoat, its gorgeous and looks great with black :). I need a charcoal gray one this year! I do have a trenchcoat, it should fit me in 15lbs - it is magenta lol! Sounds odd, but its lovely and fitted. I get tons of compliments when I wear it. It's rather bold, but makes me feel happy on a rainy day :P.
LOVE THAT! Bold is good! Especially when it comes to jackets. That's something that I think people think should always be so staid and conservative but I think it's that moment to add pop to your wardrobe. It can really add a statement to a wardrobe. If you wear a classic white shirt with some dress black pants and throw on a bold coat, it completely changes the entire outfit. Pair that with a bold necklace and you have changed a rather everyday and simple outfit that could be bought anywhere into a fashion statement. I wish people would understand the importance of accessories better!

Seriously, all women should understand better that your wardrobe can go from basic to fabulous with just the addition of a few and easy elements. Get yourself the basic elements to mix and match and then buy accessories to dress it out. You can then make completely different outfits with those accessories. It's amazing what you can do with them.

Oh, I can go on forever! :lol: I am such a fashion lover! Even when I was at my biggest, I always spent plenty of time making sure that I presented myself in my best light. It's not always the easiest thing in the world to find clothes but it can be done and it's just a matter of understanding your body, understanding how clothes can enhance your appearance and the biggest thing of all is how you actually act when you are in those clothes. If you are confident in your clothes, it shows and people can just feel it.

MandalayVA
Thu, Sep-27-07, 06:46
Quite true actually. Plus, the manufacturers are making bras differently now. Those types of guidelines were for those "foundation" type bras that you wore back in the 50's. Yes, ladies, please use your actual measurements for your ribcage measurement. Also, I think a lot of people get hung up on the size, as if the cup size will be too large or something. But, it's not like you are advertising it, just wear what fits. Unfortunately, a lot of stores don't actually carry the sizes most women wear...they carry sizes that are much larger than most women's ribcages, too small and definitely don't carry large enough cup sizes, so going to a good quality lingerie shop would be a good thing!

Believe it or not, I've always had very good luck with Victoria's Secret bras. Lands' End also has good bras and is a very good bet for plus sizes as well. I'm a 36D and seem to be fortunate in that when I lose weight I don't lose the girls. :D

I need to get some more color in my wardrobe too--I'm a Lands End/LL Bean devotee but they're not exactly known for color (allthough LL Bean is getting better in that respect).

faduckeggs
Thu, Sep-27-07, 06:48
One note about Chadwicks, the sizing is very difficult, especially considering you are ordering and can't try on first.

I just ordered several things from them. I bought size 12P, size L and size M (figuring a few smaller tops would be nice as I continue to lose, I am a 12P almost everywhere right now.) Of the clothes that arrived, one 12P shirt was so tight I can't imagine how much longer until I'll be able to wear it. The buttons don't even meet yet. One 12P top was much too big; I feel like I am in a tent in it. One size L top was still too tight. One fits just fit. And the size M top also fits perfectly right now.

They are all button down dress tops for work. All meant to be somewhat fitted.

This just to say the sizing is very hard to figure for Chadwicks, and you do have to pay shipping both ways if you return.

The only online palce IO know with free shipping both ways (and free overnight shipping to you, is zappos. I LOVE that store.

HLOKTY
Thu, Sep-27-07, 19:14
We have a zappos outlet store here!! I need to go check it out this weekend :).

Andraya
Sat, Sep-29-07, 21:42

Anyone need 2 slightly used pair of size 11's?

Me too! My sister was the first to notice. She walked up behind me one day and said, "Buy yourself some smaller shoes. Your feet are getting skinny". I haven't done this yet, but I'm going to hit the Shoe Pavilion on my next shopping trip.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wsPBq8B/weight.png
(http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wsPBq8B/)

Andraya
Sat, Sep-29-07, 22:10
Wow Pennink--
I love this thread. I had no idea it existed (being new I’m not quite savvy with the searches). Thanks for the link. It’s very helpful. How would I have found it if you hadn’t found mine to direct me here?

Andraya
Sun, Sep-30-07, 00:56

What about wearing straight-leg jeans when you have a big butt? Is that a fashion don't?

JAnn
Sat, Mar-29-08, 12:32
I know this is an old thread but I really some help. DH and I have been invited to a private concert next weekend. I'm told that "everybody who's anybody" will be there and that it's formal--tux for me, if possible.

DH has no problem but I really have nothing to wear. What would be considered appropriate for such an event? We both need to make a good impression.

Thanks ever so much for any advice.

pennink
Sat, Mar-29-08, 12:45
Wow, haven't seen this thread in a while!

Are you an apple shape or pear?

Citruskiss
Sat, Mar-29-08, 12:49
I know this is an old thread but I really some help. DH and I have been invited to a private concert next weekend. I'm told that "everybody who's anybody" will be there and that it's formal--tux for me, if possible.

DH has no problem but I really have nothing to wear. What would be considered appropriate for such an event? We both need to make a good impression.

Thanks ever so much for any advice.

Hi there JAnn,

Long time no talk :) And I still love this thread too..

Anyway, I just wanted to mention that Dillard's really has a good selection of all kinds of evening/formal wear in all manner of sizes at what I consider to be pretty reasonable prices.

I think the first thing is to think of what you'd be comfortable in. For instance, when I was recently looking for some dressier clothes, I realized that I personally wasn't going to feel comfortable in a strapless or sleeveless dress (only because I'm self-conscious about my flabby upper arms). This helped me narrow down my choices.

There's a whole section on the Dillard's website in their 'special occasion' area that's got nothing but dressy separates - which is kind of nice if you're like me in that you don't necessarily want a ballgown type thing.

Here, take a look:

http://www.dillards.com/endeca/EndecaStartServlet?N=1604010

And here's their entire 'special occasion' section, just to give you a few ideas:

http://www.dillards.com/endeca/EndecaStartServlet?N=1000894

When's the concert?

I'm thinking you might also want to consider buying something that's somewhat versatile in that you can wear it almost year-round, in case you need to go to something fancy again like this. Plus, you also want something that will not go out of style in one season or anything.

What about colour? What colours do you like on yourself?

Personally, and I hope this doesn't sound boring - but I love midnight blue as a dress-up colour. It's just as dramatic and elegant as black, but it's better when you don't want black - ie. if there's a wedding to go to or it's summer and black is too dark or whatever. I like midnight blue because to me, it seems like a year-round colour. If you pick a nice material - a seasonless 'cool wool' material or something that isn't too hot or too lightweight...you'll have a winner.

Anyway, I'm glad you brought this thread up again - I really enjoy it.

Sara
PS - editing to add: I just did a search on the Dillard's website for all their 'special occasion' outfits in the plus section too:

http://www.dillards.com/endeca/EndecaStartServlet?N=1003100

Citruskiss
Sat, Mar-29-08, 12:54
Here's another site you could look at:

http://www.anntaylor.com/catalog/category.jsp?N=1200160&pCategoryId=193&categoryId=1159&Ns=CATEGORY_SEQ_1159

JAnn
Sat, Mar-29-08, 13:08
Thanks for the links, Sara. I know that it has been a long winter. I've gained my weight back and felt so bummed that I didn't want to talk to anybody! Hopefully I'm back on track but it sure doesn't help for next weekend. I have some fabulous clothes that would work if I was about 30 lbs less!

I am a tall redhead so I like the browns. After looking at the fashions on the links you gave me I think that just about anything goes. I may have some fabric that my sis got for me about a year ago that would work. It's cream with small (about 1/4 in.) polka dots that should work. I think it may be polyester or rayon (I have to find it). I can't afford to buy anything right now except some shoes.

Midnight blue is a beautiful color but I just can't wear it. I think I will try to find a pattern similar to the top row in the first link you gave me. It should be nice enough for the event and yet I would feel comfortable in it.

Thanks--and I will be back online more often.

Citruskiss
Sat, Mar-29-08, 13:11
Well, I think it's fabulous that you can sew! I can't sew a thing to save my life, and am envious of those who can.

Glad the links provided some inspiration in terms of what kinds of patterns to look for and so on.

I'm looking forward to hearing what pennink has to say about this too.

JAnn
Sat, Mar-29-08, 13:24
Wow, haven't seen this thread in a while!

Are you an apple shape or pear?Sorry I didn't see your response under Sara's. I'm definitely an apple! I've gained 27 lbs this winter and most of it's in the waist!:(

pennink
Sat, Mar-29-08, 15:44
I answered you in the Everything else thread!

(don't worry Atkins will get that 27 outta there!)

JAnn
Mon, Mar-31-08, 12:59
Thanks for your help. It appears there are a lot of newbies here that might enjoy this thread.

mer23
Tue, Apr-29-08, 14:44
love this thread.

mer23
Tue, Apr-29-08, 14:49
love this thread.
Haven't read the whole thing, but lots of it.
I've always been a 'dresser-up', and I love transforming...you know like Thursday: lunching out at home looking like an old bag, Friday:diva time

P.s those shawls are paSHmina. not pagmina. Sorry

SissyPoo
Sat, May-17-08, 17:25
When I lose my weight I am going to change my entire look. I am gradually doing it now even with me being over weight with a new hair style and color, getting rid of the greay. I am buying newer up dated clothing and wearing open toes shoes to expose my pretty painted toe nails. They are one of my good feathers so I going to use that for my good. I have been changing my make up to and just that makes me look younger and fresher.
By the time I do lose my weight, which I will do, I am going to be a 62 year old knock out.

Gypsybyrd
Sat, May-31-08, 23:09
I've read this thread but don't recall seeing anything about what to do about the current style of tops being long in length.

Approx. 95% of the tops I see these days hit me mid-thigh - very unflattering on me. I'm 5'3" and wear (to give an idea) a size Blue 3 in Lane Bryant jeans (under their new size system).

I have no clue what can/can't be altered and really can't afford to buy tops then pay to alter them and do not have the skill to alter myself.

How do I fix this problem - beisdes losing sizes and utilizing a 'rack' to increase my height? ;) One idea I was thinking about is something I saw on Friday night's episode of What Not to Wear. The gal was not skinny (not my size either) and appeared not be tall. Stacy encouraged her, not to tuck the top in, but use a belt and blouse the top over it (one top had an elastic band about belly-button height and the top was designed to blouse over the elastic). It looked flattering on her.

Does anybody think this would work for a bigger gal? I'm having a heck of a time finding shorter tops ... Thanks!

paleogal
Sun, Jun-01-08, 11:58
My mom will take a t-shirt and run a piece of elastic through the bottom hem. She just makes a small slit in the hem, runs the elastic through, and ties it in a knot. THis will cause it to blouse over. Gypsy, that might work for you, because then, the bottom of the hem would sit where you wanted it, like on your waist, and the rest would fold over, taking several inches off the length.
Does that make sense?

Citruskiss
Sun, Jun-01-08, 14:15
I've had the curious experience of all the tops that fit me around my middle being too long in the sleeves, too big in the chest and too big in the shoulders.

What's working for me is shopping for tops in the petites dept. even though I'm 5 feet 6 inches tall.

Try the petites plus section in major department stores - that might help you find right-sized tops and t-shirts. I think this will help out a bit.

Gypsybyrd
Sun, Jun-01-08, 19:52
That makes sense Paleogal. Thanks for the suggestion.

As for petites - I'm not finding much out there in plus-sized petites and I hit the major stores (Macys, Lane Bryant, Dress Barn, Sears, JC Pennys). Citrus, can you suggest any other stores that have plus-sized petites?

Thanks!

pennink
Sun, Jun-01-08, 19:58
I used to see petites even at Walmart's plus size dept.

I used to get upset because I would inadvertently buy petite pants (what an oxymoron, eh? :lol: size 28 petite), but they were always so short on me. I'm not tall, but I have long legs.

lowcarbUgh
Sun, Jun-01-08, 19:59
I noticed that Lands End and Chadwicks both have plus petites. You might also try plus Junior sizes since they tend to be shorter and younger looking.

Frankly, I'm thrilled about longer tops. The belly button seepage is getting old. :)

Gypsybyrd
Sun, Jun-01-08, 20:09
If you buy something from those two and it doesn't look good when you try it on, do you pay the return shipping? I'll go look up the answer too ... just lazy tonight.

I'm not after tops that are above the belly button - even if I were - my jeans come above the belly button (always have). I just want some tops that don't cover my butt. To the top of my hips would be ideal.

Citruskiss
Sun, Jun-01-08, 20:11
I thought that Lane Bryant has some petites? I could be wrong though. Maybe that's just in some of their pants, which doesn't solve your tops and tees for summer problem.

I know I've seen plus size petites in Dillards.

Ok, I know these are hard to find...so I just checked Talbot's Woman ..and yes, they have Plus Petites. Here's a link to their Plus Petites tops/t-shirts page:

http://www1.talbots.com/talbotsonline/prodnav/viewall.aspx?pfid=2128&BID=&h=T&sk=T

Yeah, they're pricey - and you may not find a store in your local area, but I can vouch for the high quality of Talbot's clothing in general. It'd be worth it to order a couple of tops online, you'd get the good quality, and might find some nice tops for summer.

Also, while shopping recently in Dillards - I noticed that if you go for some of the more upscale brands - such as Jones New York, Jones New York Sport, Liz Claiborne and so on - their tops aren't all the super long style. Now granted, they will be pricey - for a t-shirt, but then I do think it might be worth it for comfortable summer wear.

Geeze I hate that. The super low pants, the overly long tops, and the overly short sleeves. These things don't do me any favours.

Try Dillards too - phone first though. Also check out some different brands/styles to see if you can't get away from the current 'overly long' tops trend.

Good luck - I know this can be a real pain. I hope you can find some nice tops.

Citruskiss
Sun, Jun-01-08, 20:15
Another option is C.J. Banks - a plus size clothing store. No, I don't see petites, but I think their clothing is a wee bit more conservative, and I don't think their t-shirts would be overly long in general. You might not like everything in the store, but you might find a few things that are nice too. They're not too expensive either.

http://www.cjbanks.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2962738&cp=2962142.2962733

I see they even have some screened tees as well.

Here are two CJ Banks stores potentially in your area:

http://www.cjbanks.com/storeLocator/index.jsp

lowcarbUgh
Sun, Jun-01-08, 20:16
Land's End will pay the return shipping. I've not returned anything to Chadwicks.

I have just the opposite problem than you. I buy long torso bathing suits from Lands End.

I can't find jeans that cover my belly button. Most of them have what looks like 2 inch zippers. :)