PDA

View Full Version : Attempting a paleo diet, lots of considerations

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Uncreative
Sun, Aug-19-07, 12:31
Okay, here goes. My mother has fibromyalgia and my brother is allergic to all tree nuts, peanuts, coconuts and cashews.

I want to get on a paleo diet, but if I were to crack open a nut in the same room with my brother, he would have a serious allergic reaction. I also don't tolerate dairy well, and don't care for red meat, so my choices are limited.

Additionally, I want to get my mother to do something about her fibromyalgia, where do you think I should start with that? I was thinking I should get her to see a nutritionalist and see what he or she says, but what do you think?

(and should this be better placed in the Paleo forums?)

Bat Spit
Sun, Aug-19-07, 17:01
Welcome to the low carb forums. We have an excellent whole sub forum about paleo, please come by and join us. There is a lot of excellent information.

Dairy isn't paleo anyway, so there is no problem there. There are tons of other options besides red meat. Fish, poultry, lamb, goat, pork, seafood... It would be a challenge without nuts, but you probably won't live with your brother forever. Could you eat nut butter in your own room with a plastic spoon that you toss afterwards? Its perfectly possible to avoid them completely. Many people have portion control issues and don't eat them regularly.

Are you sure you want to be 110? That seems awfully slight for a man of 6 ft. Maybe more muscle?

Fibro questions are appropriate here. I'd cross post your paleo questions in the forum.

See a nutritionist? My experiences with them haven't been that great, in the US they're all pretty much restricted to the US Government recommendations, which aren't much use.

ruthla
Mon, Aug-27-07, 11:49
You could try asking again in the Paleo forum, just to get more responses.

I agree that a nutritionist probably won't know very much other than high grain, low-fat diets currently recomended by officials. Their idea of a gluten-free diet probably consists of lots of brown rice and other gluten-free "grains". It's unfortunate that we can't rely on nutritional experts to actually know about nutrition.

jschwab
Mon, Aug-27-07, 12:37
We get by fine without nuts- my husband eat salad and green verggies and meat, with berries occasionally, exclusively. For fibro (and a host of other things) usually the number one recommendation is no wheat/no gluten.

Janine