PDA

View Full Version : Penticton low carbers??

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Elizabeth
Wed, Apr-04-01, 12:47
Good morning,
I live in Penticton B.C., and have just begun on the Atkins diet 3 days ago. I am convinced that this is the diet that is going to work for me, and would be interested in talking to others in my area (Okanagan) about the availability of products etc.
please email me if you are in south central B.C.
Thanks!
Elizabeth
e.eve***@***

IslandGirl
Wed, Apr-18-01, 00:06
Hiya! Welcome to our Forum ;)

I'm from Victoria myself but I'm positive there's a Summerland'er out here somewhere. Hope she introduces herself, I think she'd like some company ....

In the meantime, do enjoy, there's lots to read and learn here.

Anya
Thu, Jun-28-01, 03:17
were in Penticton 2 weeks ago for one of hubby's conferences....next time..*S*....

Elizabeth
Fri, Jun-29-01, 08:07
HI Anya,
I was in Salmon Arm on Sunday, as my son's team was in the playoffs for lacrosse! I also have a brother-in-law in Salmon Arm.
How long have you been low carbing? How is it going?
Honestly, I have been trying for a while, but I find it difficult to stick to, the same as any dieting program. I get lured off the program at restuarants and friends houses.
I have lost 6 lbs, and haven't gained that back, but haven't lost any more either.
I guess I will just keep plugging away.
School is now over and my two kids are at home, and enjoying their first morning sleeping in. I hope the weather improves, or we will be spending a lot of time indoors!
All for now, take care and talk to you soon!
Elizabeth

pagancarb
Fri, Sep-28-01, 22:34
hello fellow Pentictonite!!!

I am very shy, so I don't do direct contact very often, but couldn't believe my eyes when I saw our town in your post!!

I started LC about 1 month ago..I get frustrated very easily because I have 20 pounds to go and people say "oh you look fine!" Well, I don't feel fine and I need support still....

You are my age as well, and wondering how old your kids are? My daughter is 14, at Pen-Hi......

Talk to you soon? :roll:

Karen
Fri, Sep-28-01, 22:44
Hi Elizabeth and welcome to lowcarb.ca!

I have edited your email out of your post because we use a private messaging system on this forum to prevent spambots from collecting email addresses.

If you look at the bottom os someone's post, you will see an icon with pm beside it. You can private message that person directly and then exchange emails if you like.

Karen

damuffin
Mon, Nov-26-01, 15:59
hi elizabeth,
i'm in kelowna, i've been somersizing since may 28/01, it's a very exciting woe and wol.
there are lots of message boards like this one and web sites where you can gather ideas, recipes and support.
i do the majority of my shopping at super store but have found ingredients in overwaitea, safeway and extra foods.
i can't quite remember the guidelines/foods in the atkins plan but feel free to e-mail me if you want specifics on the foods i have found that suit our plans.
good luck on your program
:spin:

damuffin
Mon, Nov-26-01, 16:19
hi elizabeth,
i'm in kelowna, i've been somersizing since may 28/01, it's a very exciting woe and wol.
there are lots of message boards like this one and web sites where you can gather ideas, recipes and support.
good luck on your program
:spin:

Anya
Mon, Nov-26-01, 16:46
I can't pm anyone, it says I'm not allowed..*:(

anyhow, hi all...

Elizabeth
Mon, Nov-26-01, 17:40
Hi Everyone,
It's good to finally here from a couple of local girls. Damuffin I see you are in Kelowna, I am in Penticton. Anya, where are you?
I have been doing this low carb thing on and off for the last few months, and struggling. I started with Dr. Atkins, but it is quite hard to stick to, as the carbs are so low in the beginning, and I was always feeling lousy.
Now I have recently read Carbohydrate Addicts Life Plan, and it is much more reasonable. I started last Monday, and have lost 4 pounds, and had an enjoyable weekend. I think I can stick with this plan.
Anya, what are you doing? Damuffin, is somersizing really different from the other plans? Are you allowed any carbs at all?
I look forward to hearing from you both.
Elizabeth

Anya
Mon, Nov-26-01, 18:20
:cheer:

I'm from Salmon Arm...you replied back to me last summer but I never got back to you..Sorry..*:(
I'm doing dr atkins but haven't been able to get back on track. Having a heck of a time...grrrrrr....any encouragement would be appreciated..thanks *S* and I agree, its great to meet some people from my area!

damuffin
Mon, Nov-26-01, 18:46
i am so glad there are some bc & especially okanagan people hanging around these boards.

i've been on several different eating programs over the years - beverly hills & fit for life (OD'ed on fruit & sat in the bathroom for days), weight watchers (almost had to rob a bank to keep up), etc. i read about the atkins and power protein plans but hate to measure anything so when i read about the suzanne somers program in the woman's weekly magazine the science of it really made sense to me. i've not been an extremest like others on the program so for me it's easy - i don't measure anything, i eat until i'm satisfied, i have a list of "funky" foods that i stay away from & "fat is our friend", i do eat carbs but not that much (cereal every once in a while, pasta, beans) but when i do eat them i do not mix them with protein. i guess i get lots of carbs in the vegetables i eat but i don't consider them carbs.

i feel great & i have so much energy. i'll admit i have not excersied (can't even spell the stupid word) and even with that i have lost 23lb, i'm not concerned that it's been what i think is a slow loss, it's not a diet it's a heathly way of life and for me it's going to be the rest of my life.

at this stage i'm going to read dr. schwart???? 's book, she did one of the forwards for suzanne's book and she has her own out. it's the same principal (no refined sugars or starches) but allows you to mix proteins with carb - if there is portion control or measuring - i think i'll stick to somersizing tho.

i check the somersizing discussion boards daily and i'll make a stop here too.
:wave:

Elizabeth
Tue, Nov-27-01, 07:57
Hi Ladies,
Anya, I had a really hard time sticking to the Dr. Atkins plan. I am finding Carbohydrate Addicts much easier. You basically eat protiens for breakfast and lunch, with some salad at lunch, and then with dinner you can have carbs, as long as they are not more than a third of what you have on your plate.
They want dinner to start with a big salad, and then you have your main course, 1/3 protien, 1/3 vegetables, 1/3 carbs and dessert. You can eat as much as you want, as long as the portions are 1/3's. As I said, I started last Monday and have lost 4 pounds. I did 1/2 hour of weight lifting, and went on a couple of good walks, but that's it for exercise. I am not a real workout person, so I just bought a pass for the gym, and will go when I can. I am walking at least two times a week, and nothing frantic. I am feeling very positive for the first time that I am doing something I may be able to stay with. I guess because I don't feel deprived. Read the book, you may find it interesting.
damuffin....glad to hear you are feeling so good about your program. I'd say that a 23 pound loss is great success, no matter how long it took. You have kept it off, and that is what counts. Carbohydrate Addicts allows you carbs once a day, but you are to avoid all the refined starches, which I can do.
They also let you eat your carbs and protien together. I will see how it goes. ARe you ladies drinking lots of water? I have a hard time getting in 8 glasses. I finally put a Pur water system on my kitchen sink, which is helping, but still far short. Will keep working at it.
All for now, take care and talk to you both soon.
Elizabeth

canadaF35
Mon, Dec-17-01, 21:32
Hi. I also live in the Penticton area. I am a married, mother of two young girls, working 1/2 time. I have been somewhat active since September and now need to incorporate a good eating plan into this. I have been interested in low carb eating since reading a book on hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) many many years ago. I can certainly tell when I have been eating too many carbs. A bowl of kd almost puts me in a coma lol.

I have put on 10 lbs. since my kids have been born. I have been extremely lucky that is all I have gained but on the other hand because I still can fit into most of my clothes it makes is that much harder of an incentive to lose. Now I have made up my mind to get rid of those 10 lbs.

I also want to feel better during the day. I have never craved sweet things ( except maybe the 3:00 slump) but anything with potatoes and salt I love.

I would be interested in finding an on-line excerciser and low carb eater to "report" to. I find being accountable to someone else makes all the difference in the world. It would also be nice to meet someone in the area to chat - you know.....about the bustling metropolis of Penticton lol.

Look forward to any replies from anywhere.

Christy

Linnea
Wed, Dec-26-01, 01:35
I moved to Vancouver from Kelowna just a little over a year ago.

First I have to quickly say....DON'T EVER LEAVE THE SUNNY OKANAGAN!!! NOTHING IS WORTH IT!!!!

Anyway, I hope to move back there as soon as I can, and when that happens we will all have to get together for a picnic.

As for those posts that I have seen expressing how hard it is to stick to this diet. Yes, it can be difficult at times. I had to try a few times before I could stick to it, and boy, am I glad I did! I am now beyond my goal weight and loving every minute of it! I must say....I didn't ever think that I would be able to do it, but it can be done, and the results are inspiration enough!

Go easy on yourself when you hit rough spots, guilt will only make it harder. My favorite foods at restaurants: Caesar salad no croutons, Steak and eggs. Really, every restaurant can be accomodating....you just have to leave the potato on the plate. :)

Good luck to you all! And I hope to meet you all very soon.

Linnea

Anya
Sat, Jan-26-02, 19:37
I keep on forgetting about this forum....but I'm going to make a point of remembering to visit it. I've tried pm'ing but it won't let me, can you help KAREN??
I finally got BACK ON the wagon and I'm now on Day 13 of induction. Started back at 256 pounds and now at 243. :cheer:
How is everyone doing after the holidays?

Have you been back to Salmon Arm Elizabeth ? Next time, let me know and we'll meet for lunch or something. Well, maybe the something...lol