PDA

View Full Version : Weight Fluctuation

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Daschnook
Mon, Feb-18-02, 07:42
HI

I was wondering if anyone else has noticed weight fluctuations when they go to weigh themselves?

I have lost about 4-5 lbs almost consistently on the scales and yet last night I weighed myself and was back up by 4-5 lbs. This morning again it is back down by the 4-5 lbs.

Does this fluctuation mean that the weight loss is not yet stable? I am still on Induction (second week begins today. I began at 122 (think I am now 118) and need to get to 112 and so am a bit confused about the weight fluctuations.

Some enlightenment will help. Is it 'water retention'?

Daschnook

sheila_K
Mon, Feb-18-02, 08:12
Hi Daschnook

I was having the same problem...

The reasons could be one of the following (in my case all of them :D )

1. wheigh yourself on a flat HARD surface, that can make differences upto 0.5 a stone....

2. weigh in the morning after passing water, again that makes a huge difference

3. wear as little or no clothing when weighing yourself, that however does'nt make as much difference as the above two although wearing jeans will make a bit more...

4. Nearer thte time of period the weight loss will stop or even reverse, but its just hmmm blood & water

My weight has stalled for twoo weeks now, and I am only at the begining of my 5th week...

Hope that helps
Ciao
Sheila

Daschnook
Mon, Feb-18-02, 13:00
Hiya Sheila

All weights I have given so far are for a (shhh) naked Daschnook!!! Its so weird how the weight does fluctuate but after having been to the gym today I was once again at my best weight for a long time which is ... (tah dah)...122. However, 122 is not that great when the aim is 112 so Im still on induction and still in ketosis.

I find that the Ketosis gives me a funny taste in my mouth though.

Are you still in Ketosis or have you finished Induction altogether?

Daschnook

sheila_K
Mon, Feb-18-02, 13:19
HI Daschnook

I'm still in ketosis and kind of induction. My lifestyle is such that its easiest to stay at induction. BTW you are supposed to be in ketosis the whole time. Its during Premaintainance you kind of get out of it (I think, correct me someone if I'm wrong).

Just bought a chocolate from boots the suger free ones today, and when I had some it did'nt feel anything, I did'nt feeel like I just met up with a long lost friend or something....:D

However I never was that mad about chocholate anyway, I'm one of those people who were on a lifelong diet or on those healthy eating plans all their life and still did manage to put on weight over the years.. :mad:

Well now I know why and I'm on the right track finally.

I'm on my period today, it will be funny to test for keto :o

Sheila

fiona
Tue, Feb-19-02, 01:55
Sheila: I'm one of those people who were on a lifelong diet or on those healthy eating plans all their life and still did manage to put on weight over the years..

Sheila nothing has changed ... you are now on a lifelong WOE .... WOL. But this one is much nicer because you really wont put on weight and most likely will lose if you stay on track.

Daschnook: I find that the Ketosis gives me a funny taste in my mouth though. Are you drinking plenty of fluids?

Take care.

Daschnook
Tue, Feb-19-02, 13:25
Hi Fiona

Ketosis definitely is the waste product from burning fat and I can taste it in my mouth.

I ALWAYS have a bottle of water with me at all times now as it is the only way to alleviate the yuckiness of the taste/smell.

The funny thing is that whereas I nearly always drank still mineral water ... I am now a big fan of sparkling mineral water.

Daschnook

juicyjacki
Tue, Feb-19-02, 16:41
I too have the same thing where i am always 36 lbs lighter in the morning.

What we have to remember is we are not completley inactive during the night - we are moving and fidgiting (and more if you are lucky, he, he!). We also breath, wish of course contains water in our breath. Some of this apparent weight loss could be from using up water during the 8 or so hours we are asleep. After all most of us wake up needing a drink don't we?

Or we are whisked away in our sleep by the whoosh fairy and force-fed magic carb-free bars of dairy milk and ferreo roche with no effect whatsoever.

Thats my 2 cents

juicyjacki
Tue, Feb-19-02, 16:45
I meant of course 3lbs lighter - shesh, if it really was 36 lbs i would be a millionaire.

fiona
Tue, Feb-19-02, 17:53
Yes I wondered about that as I read it - but you answered my question in the next post.

Do you know you can edit your original post for a mistake like that? Just click on the edit/delete just above the "Post Reply" and it will take you back and it would have been just a question of removing the 6 from 36.

Take care.

Ella
Wed, Feb-20-02, 05:30
Hi, Daschnook,

I stopped using scales as a measure of my success. My weight was fluctuating a lot and that didn't make me happy.

In fact on the scale I put on 2kg (about 4.4 lbs). It put me off big time. But last weekend I had my assessment with a trainer at my gym. I booked 3hours, and did 2 hrs some time ago, so she kept the previous results. To our both amazement (she was so intrigued by it that asked me to give her the name of the book) 2 kgs of weight gain is purely lean body mass (muscle). Considering that I didn't go to the gym that often recently it's a very good result. So I don't really worry about the weight anymore. The more LBM the higher metabolic rate - we like that!

So, this is one of the things to consider when you weigh yourself, because you eat more protein on this diet and exercise you tend to increase your muscle which weighs 10 times more than fat (I might be not right, but sounds good though, all in all it's much heavier).

I'm trying to avoid the scales now, just judge my success by the way I look and how my clothes feel.
:wave:

Betsy
Fri, Mar-15-02, 18:49
It takes 3500 calories to lose a pound or gain one pound so when the scale jumps up I ask myself if it is even possible I increased by eating yesterday by 3500 calories or more? Just considering the math I am able to see that it is impossible my eating had anything to do with the gain on the scales and that knowledge gives me peace of mind.

I've also found that on days when I haven't had my full requirement of water the scale is up the next day. Yet on days when I've had a lot of water, I'm down the next day. Don't quite understand that one, but it is a definite pattern I'm seeing with me. Anyone else experience that?

fiona
Sat, Mar-16-02, 05:47
Daschnook : Weight fluctuation is normal. When I first started I soon discovered that if I weighed myself every hour of the day I would get a different weight! Soon started me taking measurements. There are daily, monthly, seasonal fluctuations according to different rhythms that affect us all.

{Betsy: when I haven't had my full requirement of water the scale is up the next day ... } That's right. The less water you drink the more your body will tend to hang on to it. And the retention will increase the weight.

Take care.

Betsy
Sat, Mar-16-02, 11:53
Thank you for solving that mystery for me. Even more reason to make sure and drink all my water daily.