PDA

View Full Version : Pots de Creme, Chai

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

clwydd
Wed, Feb-13-02, 07:50
Here's a link to a recipe from Gourmet that definitely has low-carb possibilities: http://www.epicurious.com/run/recipe/view?id=106125

It's a baked custard made with cream and milk that has been flavoured with tea, cinammon stick, cardamom, cloves, and fresh ginger. To make it low carb you would just have to substitute cream for the milk and sweetener for the sugar. I haven't tried it. I can't get whipping cream that doesn't contain dextrose, and things are going so well that I don't want to risk it. However, our 18% coffee cream is dextrose-free, and I might work out the carb count based on that.

Reviewers said that it had a pumpkin pie taste that some disliked, but then spiced chai has a pumpkin pie taste.

Susan

Karen
Wed, Feb-13-02, 10:16
Chai is one of my favourite seasonings. I went a little crazy with making and eating chai spiced nuts around Christmas. I can get the ground spices here from a tea shop that contains no tea leaves and it's really delicious.

The recipe makes me think of using other teas without the chai spicing like jasmine, Earl Grey and green tea.

Earl Grey and chocolate is a delicious combination!

Karen

clwydd
Wed, Feb-13-02, 10:36
Lucky you to be able to get the chai spices, I haven't quite pinned down what they are. The President's Choice chai is downright nasty--way too much star anise. However, Ten Thousand Villages (the Mennonite Service Committee gift store) sells a Fair Trade chai from Sri Lanka that is very good.

Susan

odd sock
Sun, Mar-10-02, 13:36
I have made my own chai blend before which contained a very small amount of black tea, cinnamon, cardamom (both green and black), ginger, cloves, and black peppercorns. I think the green cardamom is more often used, but the larger black type lends a smoky flavour. I have also had it with citrus peel which is nice, but not traditional.

Hope this helps. :wave: