PDA

View Full Version : Metformin

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

StephanieR
Mon, May-28-07, 22:55
I took this for about 3 weeks and hated it. The depression drug me under. Sleeping and sleeping and sleeping.

Has anyone else tried this and stopped it?

lovebdrcup
Tue, May-29-07, 00:51
I have. It's awful! The doctor I went to said I was insulin resistant and I would NEVER get back to my pre-'whatever' weight. There was no diet no nothing I could ever do. She said Metformin could help, but at most it would help me lose 15 pounds. Can you believe she suggested I do lipo?! I took it for about 3 weeks and just stopped it was awful!! I had stomach cramps after every meal, and was running to the bathroom in pain. I was very moody and just so unhappy. Anyway, long story was that I modified diet severly and actually DID drop the weight just to prove her wrong. What I didn't know was that the diet I was doing to rid myself of candida was actually the atkins induction. It totally worked! The only thing was that after a few months I gradually started to eat regularlly again thikning I had fixed the candida...when all along it was a carb thing. So, I am going on induction tomorrow KNOWING what I am doing and looking forward to moving through the process with my eyes open.... good luck to you...and I say get off all the drugs. Your body has the power to heal itself :-)

Mom2ryan
Thu, May-31-07, 11:59
I tried it also. Actually twice, the second time I tried it in timed release. The Metformin made me very ill. Body aches, nausea.
I so hoped it was the answer to control the PCOS ravages.. Dr. also told me it would help with some belly weight loss as well.
BUMMER!!

PhoenixEav
Thu, Jun-14-07, 12:45
Metformin and glucophage are worthless if you're going to stick to a low-carb plan, because you won't have any extra insulin/glucose floating around for the drug to take care of... Plus, yes, it does make you feel like absolute crap because it's trying to force your body/cells to do something that should be done naturally with dietary changes.

I stopped ALL medications my doctor was giving me, and am doing great. I just hope others will realize that pill-pushing idiots shouldn't have the last say on what's "healthy" and what drugs you supposedly need to be healthy.

CNYMom
Thu, Jun-14-07, 12:55
I was on Metformin for a few months. It helped me lose about 30 pounds, when nothing else worked (not even Atkins'). My metabolism was so shot, that nothing else worked until I lost that first bit of weight and got some other issues under control (some dental problems).

Anyway, I had some uncomfortable moments for the first couple of days, but then I was fine with it. It stabilized my moods, and I was just generally happier on it. I stopped taking it because once my metabolism started to repair itself (and Atkins' started working for me again), I didn't need it anymore.

For me, though, the drug was a miracle when I needed it. Thank God I no longer do.

Spacedoll
Mon, Jun-25-07, 17:34
I took Metformin when I was trying to conceive because I have pcos & insulin resistance. I just lost 10 pounds before getting pregnant. I was 170 so I got down to 160. The medication made me so nauseas, gave me cramps and other stomache troubles. The MD told me to do low carb also but I couldn't stomach any protein!! All I could eat was green apples!!LOL! I tried taking the pills again after pregnancy but it seems they didn't work in my body any more. I didn't lose weight! Finally I stopped taking them. I started to do a very low carb plan and kept exercising and started to lose weight. I'm losing it very slowly, but at least I know I can do it on my own without risky medications.

ICanDoThis
Wed, Jul-25-07, 02:55
I've not heard of using metformin for weightloss, if that is what you all are saying. I take it to help control my PCOS symptoms. I've never noticed a difference in weight when just strictly on the metformin. Only when I'm doing LC do I see the weight loss. Why do you stop the pill? Isn't it what helps you with the PCOS? I can't see LCing taking away all the PCOS symptoms, but then again, I haven't been back on LCing for over a week though. I guess I'll know more as I keep going...

gawdess
Fri, Jul-27-07, 06:36
My doctor wanted me to go on Metaformin for PCOS, but I refused. If you guys stop to read the side effects of this pill, they are terrible. My mother has been taking pills for various problems her whole life and now she is very sick. One of her pills caused diabetes. Another caused kidney damage.

I seriously hope more women with PCOS will consider taking a more natural route in treating their symptoms. Exersize, supplementation, Low carbing, etc seem to have far less side effects.

mlk18sHuny
Fri, Jul-27-07, 08:07
I am currently taking Metformin and have been since Sept. of 06. While it helped me loose about 10 lbs in the begining, now it just helps prevent me from gaining weight.

I have PCOS and I am IR. I had tried Atkins - in fact I was following Atkins for a year before the metformin and I only gained weight.

I am currently pregnant, and still on Metformin. I plan on staying on Metformin throughout my pregnancy. I have had trouble with morning sickness, so I have been eating more carbs. The more carbs I consume the worse my metformin side effects. The lower the carbs the better I feel.

Legeon
Tue, Jul-31-07, 13:31
I was on it for years, but I was so sick under "normal" circumstances I figured the increased stomach pain was something I could handle. Besides, my doctors assured me I would be dead in five years if I didn't take it for the rest of my life and that very high doses were a fantastic, beautiful thing. Even when the extended release pills ended up undigested in my stool I was assured that they were working because my test results were good. Ugh.

Once I started getting reactive hypoglycemia/allergic reactions and changed my diet I stopped taking it along with Spironolactone. Now I have most of my emotions back, if that makes any sense, and I'm not doubled over with sickness and dizziness every morning.

mollycule6
Wed, Aug-01-07, 18:00
Even when the extended release pills ended up undigested in my stool I was assured that they were working because my test results were good. Ugh.

The XR pills weren't undigested. It is common for the capsule to be passed in the stool, looking as if it was undigested but it was metabolized by the body. Rest assure the medication was still working.

CarolynSG
Thu, Aug-09-07, 08:57
Does Met really work?? I was on it for about 2 years for my PCOS. It never helped me loose weight, nor did it help with my cycles or symptoms. It made me constantly feel ill, with headaches and nausea. I am now off Met but I am worried that I am doing the wrong thing and should go back onto it. Any suggestions?

CNYMom
Thu, Aug-09-07, 09:04
Metformin worked very well for me. I had a few days of "side-effects", but nothing like I expected, and I lost about 30 pounds over 4 or 5 months, hardly changing my eating habits at all. I was eating fairly LC and had been for quite awhile, but without Met, couldn't lose weight at all because my metabolism was so messed up. After about 2 weeks on M&E (more or less), I stopped taking Metformin mostly because I didn't need it for blood sugar control (just losing weight helped with that), and I was losing weight.

As to whether or not anyone should go back on it, I can't begin to guess. For me, it helped a lot, but I'm glad I don't need it anymore.

poetwer
Thu, Aug-09-07, 19:40
I've been taking Met. for a few years. For me it has helped the acne, weight, periods and I really think it slowed down some of my hair growth. I'm not sure that any of this is 100% due to Met., but I know those issues have gotten better. I have lost quite a bit of weight on a "South Beach" like diet. My doc. also suggested Omega 3 & 6, Cromium and a mulitvitamin. I've added in on my own calcium (heard Met. could deplete calcium) and B-12.

CarolynSG
Fri, Aug-10-07, 01:36
Thanks for the assistance... I think I must phone my doc and see what he thinks.

Spacedoll
Fri, Aug-10-07, 15:14
I've not heard of using metformin for weightloss, if that is what you all are saying. I take it to help control my PCOS symptoms. I've never noticed a difference in weight when just strictly on the metformin. Only when I'm doing LC do I see the weight loss. Why do you stop the pill? Isn't it what helps you with the PCOS? I can't see LCing taking away all the PCOS symptoms, but then again, I haven't been back on LCing for over a week though. I guess I'll know more as I keep going...

You're right, Metformin is not used for weightloss, it's just one of the side effects, for some people. I stopped taking it because it made me feel awful with all the stomach problems and constant nausea. I agree with gawdess about the terrible side effects of this drug. I also agree with going the natural route of low carbing, exercising and supplementation to help with the pcos. It's working for me! I guess Metformin is not for everybody.

Legeon
Wed, Aug-29-07, 08:57
The XR pills weren't undigested. It is common for the capsule to be passed in the stool, looking as if it was undigested but it was metabolized by the body. Rest assure the medication was still working.

Well now, that's good to know. I wish my doctor had actually TOLD me that at some point instead of leaving me in the dark thinking she was nuts.

mollycule6
Thu, Aug-30-07, 08:14
Well now, that's good to know. I wish my doctor had actually TOLD me that at some point instead of leaving me in the dark thinking she was nuts.

My doctor didn't tell me that either, it's just a plus from being in pharmacy school. :lol:

chubbygrrl
Thu, Aug-30-07, 20:08
I take 1000mg of metformin twice a day to control my IR/PCOS. I had TERRIBLE GI effects for about the first month that I was taking it but after about a month they subsided and I feel much better. I think it's one of those YMMV things, my mother takes it for her diabetes and she has never had any of the side effects! I have to say that I did start getting my periods again after the second month I was taking it so it does seem to be working on me. :wave: