PDA

View Full Version : I don't understand the fiber thing...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Twinkle
Sun, Feb-10-02, 17:10
I can't find in my Atkins book where you deduct fiber grams from the total carbohydrate grams but that is what I think I understand from reading posts that you are supposed to do. I entered my dinner at Fitday and got the following result:

343 calories
18 g fat
19 g carbohydrate
8 g fiber
29 g protein

Now, am I supposed to deduct the 8g of fiber from the 19g of carbohydrate? If that is the case, I haven't been eating enough carbohydrates and that might be why that apple I cheated and ate last week helped me lose 3 lbs. (In case you are wondering about so many carbohydrates in one meal, I wasn't feeling particulary good this morning and skipped breakfast and lunch and decided to eat extra veggies at dinner for both the fiber and the nutrients. Normally, I don't try to eat all 20g in one meal like that.)

Twinkle

Greywolf
Sun, Feb-10-02, 22:39
Well I don't know if I can help you cause I was confused about it too. Dr.A does mention in the book ( in the carb counter sec.) about the Total Carbs and then there is also the Digestable Carbs. I am still trying to figure that one out. But I think that is the Fiber part I not sure. Don't listen to me I don't know what I am talking about, I is half asleep. :o

doreen T
Sun, Feb-10-02, 23:07
hi there Twinkle and Greywolf,

This question came up yesterday in the General forum. Check it out here (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33495). There's a link in there to another, older thread that should clear up any confusion for you.

happy low-carbing :)

Doreen

sunchick
Mon, Feb-11-02, 12:41
Can you take a fiber pill, like fiber-one or something to help with the regularity? I am redoing induction and last time I got stopped up a lot even though I drank tons of water and ate veggies. Do you think a fiber supplement could work?

scottmeyer
Mon, Feb-11-02, 21:48
I've been on atkins for a while and even though atkins is great ive made some changes. First you cant take fiber in a pill. I tried taking psyllium husks in pill form but they did not help. According to the book and others the fiber you get from vegetables is supposed to be enough (YEAH RIGHT). What i do now, is eat a half cup of fiber one cereal and drink two glasses of water with it and eat vegetables. Thats increased my fiber to 20 grams a day which is working for me. It also has increased my carbs a little but trust me its worth it. You cant lose pounds if you cant get rid of it ! ;) Thats just a suggestion thats working for me. Thankyou by the way for the response to my journal entry and good luck to you! :thup:
scott

nolly
Mon, Feb-11-02, 22:14
I tried a fibre pill (from the health food store) and it worked. It's made by Swiss . It contains, get this...1150mg of fibre! It's not completely psyllium, it has fruit & vegetable fibre and gums as well. There's one difference though... I had the opposite problem. The bathroom trips were too frequent. :lol: :o

Hope this helps-Nolly :wave:

sunchick
Mon, Feb-11-02, 22:24
thanks guys for the fiber input...I think I am going to try to get either some fiberone cereal or see if my body likes a fiber pill supplement..i need to try something, if you know waht i mean :hyper: any other things others have done would be helpful too:):) thanks :spin:

dizzyd
Mon, Feb-11-02, 22:32
Works! At least it works for me. I use it every day, a teaspoon in a glass of water, and manage every other day to have a "success" in that area! :o

Just a thought. Those fibre pills from Swiss intrigue me, however. Any idea what they do to your carb count?

Dizzyd
:daze:

nolly
Mon, Feb-11-02, 22:59
The name of the supplement is Swiss Natural Source Fibre 1. It has 1185mg of fibre from cellulose, oatbran, grapefruit, orange ,apple pectin and acerola. It is yeast. soy, corn, gluten free ect... I don't have any problems with it (scalewise) I hope that helps!

:wave: Nolly

nolly
Mon, Feb-11-02, 23:03
P.S. all fibre, as far as I understand, contains carbs. However, we do not count them because apparently they do not affect the blood sugar ;)

scottmeyer
Mon, Feb-11-02, 23:09
Remember pills are measured in milligrams which takes 1000 to equal 1 gram of fiber. 1150 mg of fiber pills isnt equal to 1 tsp of fiber cereal. most pills have around 500mg unless their big horse pills. Thats why i say you cant get a significant amount of fiber from a pill.
scott

nolly
Mon, Feb-11-02, 23:28
Hmmm...they are quite large and I know that when I compared the label to Metamucils' they had MUCH more (I ran out so I'm only going from memory) I assumed that the cereal had sugar in it so I thought I would suggest the pill form. I hope I didn't undermine your suggestion by doing so. :(