PDA

View Full Version : Get-Together 2002

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

fiona
Sun, Feb-10-02, 13:39
1. Who can and would be happy to meet up - any time before Easter?

2. When can you definitely make it?

3. Where would you like it to be?

4. If you are suggesting outside London would you be prepared to help find a suitable location to meet up? This would involve checking out a location, seeing its suitability in wet or dry weather, is LC food available, full directions.

5. Any special needs, ideas or suggetions?

Daschnook
Tue, Feb-12-02, 05:55
HI

I would love to meet up with other dieters in London. I am able to meet up (if you allow me to) before Easter provided it is in London somewhere.

The only place I know where they have good food that we can eat is nearly everywhere for me as I can moderate my Atkins diet to fit nearly all restaurants!

Nice to meet you all and keep up the good (dieting) work! Support is great*

Daschnook

fiona
Tue, Feb-12-02, 13:07
Andy: March 23 and 30 : Cambridge

Ken & Margaret : March 23 and 30: Cambridge

Fiona : March 23 and 30: Cambridge, if we can find someone local to sort out the venue. Otherwise I would prefer to stay with a venue that was good: Golders Green, London NW3.

Daschnook are you free on these two dates?

Take care.

Daschnook
Wed, Feb-13-02, 04:01
Hi

Thanks for the response

March 23 and 30 are both ok for me but I would also prefer to be in London. Dont think I can do Cambridge on either of those days but I will do my best.

Golders Green/Hampstead area is GOOD for me!

Hugs

Daschnook

davinababe
Wed, Feb-13-02, 14:14
hi
i would love to get together on 23rd or 30th March------Golders green or Hampstead is great for me as I live in Elstree and spend a lot of time in the area----its so exciting that there are real people out there that live so close to home that have the same interest!
bye for now----Davina.

fiona
Thu, Feb-14-02, 01:55
I am sorry Andy but it does look like London Venue is winning.

I am assuming of course that Ken and Margaret are equally happy to come to London as Cambridge.

Take care.

ezandreth
Thu, Feb-14-02, 16:20
Hi folks,
I'd like to come and meet up with you all but before Easter is a bit hard, probably can't do 23rd and will be away 30th. I live in Reading so for me, London is easier. Coincidentally, am invited to a party in Cambridge on 23rd but don't know if will go. If not this time, hope to get to a meeting in summer perhaps.
I'd be happy to meet up for a meal - most restaurants are great with this WOE as compared to low-fat, for intance.
Zanny

Ken
Fri, Feb-15-02, 01:36
Originally posted by fiona
I am sorry Andy but it does look like London Venue is winning.

I am assuming of course that Ken and Margaret are equally happy to come to London as Cambridge.

Take care.

Of course London will be OK Fiona, Golders Park will be just as lovely in the spring as it was in the autumn :) .

Keep smiling :daze:

Ken

fiona
Fri, Feb-15-02, 01:54
Ken, that's great.

Yes Golders Hill Park is just stunningly beautiful in Spring. All the daffodils are blooming - if you are lucky. There are two or three weeks when it is at its peak, and a few weeks before leading up to it.

There is a wonderful fresh growth and "new start" feeling - I just love being in fresh air (even if it is cold) at that time of year.

Feel bad about Andy though. Perhaps we could have one in his home town. Andy, any good venues where you are?
Take care

fiona
Tue, Feb-19-02, 13:43
Okay I think we have enough people to finalise this. 30th March is actually Easter weekend and I suspect people might wish to go away.

Shall we make it definite for Saturday 23rd March 2001 - 2pm at Golders Green Underground Station as before?

I am really excited as I have just persuaded Sandra, a dear friend of mine to just come and talk to other LCers. I know an LC diet would do her the world of good but she has not yet decided on it.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

davinababe
Wed, Feb-20-02, 03:15
hi Fiona
is that inside the station near where you buy tickets?

fine
Wed, Feb-20-02, 15:05
Hi guys,
I would love to meet up with you all but London is a bit far right now, and the 23rd is definately out for me..... (I am a scout leader and it is a weekend scout camp that weekend), I can do another time though....hopefully Cambridge (I side with Andy D on that one....) lol
Fi :daizy:

fiona
Wed, Feb-20-02, 15:16
Yes Davina somewhere near the exit.

I'll copy the message I posted last time.

"Parks are generally colder than other places so do come prepared with lots and lots of warm layers. I am hoping to hear from Jon soon - this location was meant to fit in with his schedule as he is "guest of honour", travelling furthest and has a tight agenda for his two days in London.

Golders Green is only a tiny little station with one exit (it does have two exits but the other one is closed for the moment) and surrounded by lots of little shops and a bus depot (no parking I am afraid - especially on a Saturday afternoon).

Would people like to meet at the station at 2pm (maximum wait 5mins for late-comers) and walk on to the park 15 mins fast uphill walking and take it from there?

I know it is difficult to time journeys so perhaps those who wish to (or anyone who gets there after 2.05pm) can make their way direct to the restaurant in the park?

The way to get there is to turn left as you exit the Station, walk through the bus depot - walk past the Golders Green Hippodrome - BBC Philharmonic concerts are held there so it is quite prominent - and keep walking left up North End Road until you see a gate and restaurant on your right . If it is nice and sunny you can't miss it 'cos it will be full of children and families sitting on the benches and tables outside the restaurant. "

I'll be wearing the same LC badge I was last time. We had no problems at all last time. Everyone (except Kay who never did show) turned up on time. I really think we will somehow be drawn to each other as we were last time.

It is helpful to know exactly who is DEFINITELY coming so it would be nice for those who are coming on 23rd to just confirm it.

Thanks. Do hope it is not as wet and windy as today has been. I nearly got blown away!!

Take care.

Doodle
Thu, Feb-21-02, 10:18
My DH and I are planning a couple days in London around that time, would you welcome an Irish Low Carber? ( I must warn you, I am in the advanced stages of being Irish...).
Doods.

Ken
Thu, Feb-21-02, 16:28
Hi Fiona :wave:

Margaret and I are OK for 23rd.

See you then :)

Keep smiling :daze:

Ken

davinababe
Fri, Feb-22-02, 03:05
yep
i'm up for it----see you all then---Davina.

LittleAnne
Sat, Feb-23-02, 10:37
Great idea to have a get together. Unfortunately this time I can't make it.
Have a great afternoon.

fiona
Sun, Feb-24-02, 12:37
Doodle Irish people are most welcome as are British, Welsh, American, Indian. The only requirement is an interest in Low-Carbing. It would get boring if you weren't.

Fine, If we can find someone to check out venue, Cambridge is no problem. It can be done if the Will is strong enough.

Little Ann, Thanks - judging by the last two it will be a success. I am no longer surprised at how long we LCers can talk about LCing! Hope you may be able to attend the next one in Summer.

I just hope it stops raining by then ! At the moment it feels as if it never will cease.

Take care.

lee B
Sun, Feb-24-02, 15:10
Hello everyone
I think it is a great idea to meet up. I cant make the date that you have chosen but maybe the next time. I would prefere Cambridge. But would go to London if I needed to.
Enjoy your get together. Best wishes Lee :rose:

fine
Mon, Feb-25-02, 12:31
Hi all,
I too, cannot make it for the 23rd as am camping with tearaway scouts that weekend. I also would prefer Cambridge but Lee B and I could make London if needs be.
Everyone enjoy yourselves and have fun!
Fine

Daschnook
Tue, Feb-26-02, 03:30
Hi

Im hoping to be able to bring along a couple of LC friends with me - will that be ok...?

Daschnook

fiona
Wed, Feb-27-02, 01:59
Of course Daschnook. Anyone remotely interested in LCing is welcome. Online contact is great on a day to day basis but just a little bit of "person to person" contact is still the best in convincing people that LCing is good for you.

Take care.

cocoabear
Fri, Mar-01-02, 04:23
London a bit difficult for me. Are there enough of us in the North/Midlands to organise something closer to home? Lincoln would be my suggestion as there are some good low carb friendly restaurants within walking distance of Lincoln Cathedral, but anywhere more central would be good.

Cocoabear

fiona
Thu, Mar-07-02, 13:25
Cocobear, Fine, Lee, Madpiano:

I am open to alternative venues for the next Get-together. Would you be able to check out venue, where to meet, how to get there from the nearest station etc ? Summer sometime.

Cambridge would be a great location too - all those canals would make for a great day out for Londoners.
Take care.

fine
Fri, Mar-08-02, 03:05
Hello everybody,
I am so glad that there is not a thousand years in between each get together and although we miss out on the spring one in London town, we can then do the summer one.....
Cambridge is really very lovely in the summer and fairly easy to get to for most (I think), Lincoln is lovely too, I vaguely remember it from when I once went there to visit the cathedral a hundred years ago.
I am easy & don't mind where we go for the next venue so over to you Lee, Cocobear & Madpiano....
Have fab weekends all
:daizy:

lee B
Fri, Mar-08-02, 12:41
Hello Everyone
As I don't live in Cambridge I am not sure about venues, although there are plenty of eating places there I am sure that we could find somthing to suit us all. I usually go on a saturday and park in the County Council car park ( have not been for a while ). If you do come to Cambridge I could find out the road name. I am not sure where the train station is so we would need to find out how far out of Cambridge it is. If it is a nice day we could have a pic nic by the river! As Fine says it is beautiful in the summer.
Take care Lee :roll:

cocoabear
Fri, Mar-08-02, 16:34
Hi everyone

Cambridge is OK with me for summer get together - no idea how to get there but still!
If Fine and Lee (both in Peterborough?) want to meet up in Lincoln or Peterborough before then that would be OK for me too as it's not very far to travel.

Cocoabear

fine
Sat, Mar-09-02, 07:11
Cocoabear, that would be great, no worries by me.....
Any by you Lee?

lee B
Sat, Mar-09-02, 15:35
No worries by me Fine. How many people want to meet in Peterborough or Lincoln in the summer? Has anyone been to a meeting before? What happens do you go for a meal some where
and get to know each other? Peterborough train station is close to town. Also there is quite a lot of car parks. What is the situation in Lincoln? I guess we need to know who wants to meet before we decide on a venue. :daze: Do you have any ideas for venues Fine? BFN Lee :)

davinababe
Wed, Mar-20-02, 10:04
Just checking that we are still on for Saturday 2pm Golders Green tube station (inside cos it's bound to be raining!). Actually if it is raining can we have a plan B rather than all march off to the park as we'll need to be under cover-----how about going to one of the coffee bars in the Golders Green Road?------can't wait to meet everybody!
See you all then-----Davina.

Daschnook
Wed, Mar-20-02, 17:21
Hi

Plan B does sound like a good idea in light of the rainy days ahead.

Costa Coffee does single cream with (decaf) coffee :daze: but is always so very busy.

See ya at the weekend

Daschnook

:wave:

davinababe
Thu, Mar-21-02, 11:59
isn't it pathetic how you can't even get a coffee with cream in London!

Daschnook
Thu, Mar-21-02, 17:15
Hi

Yes it is pathetic but I do know of ONE good places around NW London where you can get great decaf and cream:

Smollenskys in the O2 Centre (I know the manager)

...could this be Plan B?

Hugs

:daze:

Daschnook

davinababe
Fri, Mar-22-02, 02:26
sounds like a great plan B but if we are meeting at Golders Green station we will all have to jump on a bus or meet there direct---i haven't heard the weather forecast for tommorrow yet. If anyone has any preferences please please shout!----see you all tommorrow----Davina.

fiona
Sat, Mar-23-02, 00:21
London Region - DRY; Temp 12C

Early mist patches, mainly sunny
Most places staying dry
Wind: Light SE'ly

Golders Green Underground 2pm folks. Hopefully there will be no need for Plan B, although the O2 is a VERY good suggestion. Love the atmostphere of that place.

Looking forward to seeing you all.

Take care.